6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Can I say one word:

HOSSA :headbang:
UOK
Site Admin

Blackhawks power play goes 3-3 after a 3-30 run their past 13 games.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn, I have missed the past 3 games or so. Saw highlights and the passing on Anisimov's goal was just friggin sick. Hossa keeps rolling along. I love that dude. He is moving up the list of my all time Hawks. he is up there with Roenick, Savard and Chelios.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Damn, I have missed the past 3 games or so. Saw highlights and the passing on Anisimov's goal was just friggin sick. Hossa keeps rolling along. I love that dude. He is moving up the list of my all time Hawks. he is up there with Roenick, Savard and Chelios.
Their power play was insane last night. I'm used to the Blackhawks power play being utter shite for the better part of 4 years, but last night they were so crisp. The one-timer by Panarin is one of the best in the NHL, and the passing on the Anisimov goal is something from an EA Sports game. Here's a clip:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

When my son is watching with me and the Hawks get a PP, we usually want the Hawks to deny it because they play better 5 on 5. All that O talent, I would think the PP would be unstoppable, but what do I know, I am just a fan.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Big weekend for the Hawks. Fight off a determined Blues team Saturday night and come back and do the job against the Sharks. The young guys are panning out quite well. Darling had some lapses Sat. night but kicked ass last night. He is handling himself during Crow's absence quite well. If Kane and Toews can get going this team will effing explode.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

As each of these past 6 games have went by, the Hawks just look more vulnerable to bigger teams. The Hawks looked slow today, slower than the bigger Blues team. Not sure WTH is going on. I think the miss Hossa for sure.

Toews, Keith and Seabrook have to start upping their games.
UOK
Site Admin

I didn't see the Winter Classic, dealing with some family crisis, but the Blackhawks have a firmly disappointing modern trend in outdoor games. Only one they did well in was against the Penguins at a snowy Soldier Field, one of the most badass hockey experiences I've seen on television.

I think part of the "slowness" was the warm weather mucking up the ice. The Blackhawks are known for being VERY finicky about the quality of the ice in various arenas, much less a 50-degree rainy day in St. Louis. I think the team will be okay come playoff time, but the primary concern is that by the end of the season guys like Toews/Kane get warm.

Long way to go.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nice little 4 game homestand for the Hawks. hell I missed the last 3. This coaching winter league bball is interfering with my sports spectating. These next two months could be hell.
UOK
Site Admin

I catch bits of games more than watching them wholly. Between family crap and the holidays I haven't had a lot of occasion to sit down to watch from stem to stern.

They're playing better after that lousy slump, for sure, but I'm curious how they'll handle the latter stages of the year approaching the deadline.
UOK
Site Admin

Hinostroza and Kero with 2 goals apiece. Glorious. Toews dishing the open netter to Kero was why that guy is the captain.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Missed another game.

Toews is a classic. Fans of other teams just do not understand his value to this team. They see he is not scoring and think he is not making an impact. Captains make impacts in a lot of subtle ways. I don't think he deserved to be an all star this year, but he is very important to this team.

I like that the young guys continue to make strides and make plays. Q was complimenting Schmaltz as well. Hawks have been a little inconsistent of late and I think they will be OK come playoff time. I really think they need to finish first in the division though.

I believe Minny will cool off at some point.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn, finally got to see some hockey Saturday night. Granted only caught the last period and a half but that was some good offensive hockey. They put the clamps on the Oilers and Mr McDavid. Hinostroza throwing hands was nice to see as well.

Good offensive output. I feel the Wild will slip back and the Hawks will surpass them by seasons end.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Damn, finally got to see some hockey Saturday night. Granted only caught the last period and a half but that was some good offensive hockey. They put the clamps on the Oilers and Mr McDavid. Hinostroza throwing hands was nice to see as well.

Good offensive output. I feel the Wild will slip back and the Hawks will surpass them by seasons end.
You can always count on the Wild to be the Blackhawks bitch when the playoffs come around.
CRM 114
Journeyman

What's everyone's thoughts on the new bye weeks in hockey?

I, myself, am not a big fan of them. All they do is bunch up the rest of the schedule leading to more games a week. Usually within the course of an NHL season there is a 4 or 5 day stretch where a team doesn't play, in addition to the all star break (and Olympic break, where applicable). Granted not every player gets that extra time off if they take part in all star/Olympic games but like I said earlier there is usually other times throughout the season to get rest. This bye week comes at a bad time as the Hawks were finally starting to put a winning streak together.
CRM 114
Journeyman

UOK wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Damn, finally got to see some hockey Saturday night. Granted only caught the last period and a half but that was some good offensive hockey. They put the clamps on the Oilers and Mr McDavid. Hinostroza throwing hands was nice to see as well.

You can always count on the Wild to be the Blackhawks bitch when the playoffs come around.
I find it amazing that in 3 playoff rounds against the Hawks, the Wild have never managed to win a game at the United Center. Not only that, but in all 3 years they couldn't even hold serve on home ice to force an anything goes Game 7 at the UC (Hawks had home ice advantage all three years they played). Just goes to show the vast difference between the quality of these two franchises.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

7 road wins in a row, never done before by the team. They are rolling big time. Young guys producing, don't see any reason for Bowman to make any deals at this point.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kaner you mutha effing beast!!!! Hawks killing it. Getting me to the playoffs now.

Toews player of the month. Studs hitting their stride at the right time.
UOK
Site Admin

Kane w/ the hatty, but Schmaltz and Darling were great too. Panik had an amazing goal himself.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

That hat trick didn't come easy, even if the final one was an empty netter. There were times Marc-André Fleury was standing on his head, turning away Blackhawk shots.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

RING4CHI wrote:That hat trick didn't come easy, even if the final one was an empty netter. There were times Marc-André Fleury was standing on his head, turning away Blackhawk shots.
He had one series of saves I believe in the 2nd period that was outstanding. One of the best I've seen this season.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn, praised Kaner early in the day and he got even BEASTIER!! Missed the damn game. had to work my second job and got home a little late and forgot they were on. Had to settle for highlights. Darling got it done. Schmaltz is really playing well no matter who he is alongside.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the entire team seems to have an extra gear to kick into this year ... playing with aggressive effective confidence ... fun to watch
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

2 lost in a row,,

Nice run though..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

making their move to the front ... everyone contributed last night

Anisimov’s ankle injury was a downer though
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Anisimov is day to day, he'll be okay. Crawford got SHELLED last night, though. I don't know how he cleared concussion protocol.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Anisimov is day to day, he'll be okay.

good to hear

UOK wrote:Crawford got SHELLED last night, though. I don't know how he cleared concussion protocol.
yeah ... I'm thinking the NHL's policy isn't as serious as it should be

League’s concussion protocol fails to protect Corey Crawford
MONTREAL — Joel Quenneville likes talking about concussions as much as he likes divulging lineup changes and injury specifics. He grimaces, grumbles, and basically declines to comment. But when asked if Corey Crawford had been “tested” after taking a Shea Weber slap shot to the facemask, Quenneville said he indeed had been.

“Right away,” Quenneville said. “Killing that penalty [and] the rest of the period.”

Quenneville clearly had missed the point of the question. Just as the NHL apparently has missed the point when it comes to concussion awareness.

It was inexcusable that Crawford stayed in the game after taking a headshot that even he deemed the hardest he’s ever taken. Yes, Crawford appeared fine afterward. Yes, he played very well, finishing with 40 saves in the 4-2 victory. Yes, he was perfectly lucid and quick-witted during his postgame scrum with reporters.

But again, that’s not the point.

Look, we know by now that NHL players and coaches are not going to remove a player from a game unless he’s physically unable to stand. It’s the macho culture of the sport — no pain is too great, no risk is too severe. If you can skate, you play. No matter what. We’ve seen it before with countless players on countless teams. That very much includes the Blackhawks.

On Dec. 11, 2014, Jonathan Toews was sent face-first into the boards at Boston’s TD Garden by Dennis Seidenberg. It took Toews a moment to get up and skate slowly to the bench, before he decided to stay on the ice for the upcoming 5-on-3 power play.

“Five-on-three, I wouldn’t want to come off, either,” Quenneville said after the game. “I don’t think anybody would want to come off in that situation. He’s a competitive guy.”

Sure, but at some point, competitiveness turns into recklessness. Toews got thrown out of a faceoff, took a penalty, sat out his two minutes, and then left for the dressing room to be tested for a concussion. He didn’t return to the game. But it never should have taken that long.

It’s unacceptable that things like that happen, but they happen all the time. And they’re almost understandable, given the high stakes for coaches and players. But that’s exactly why the league added its own concussion spotters for each game this season. They’re supposed to step in and take the decision out of the hands of coaches, players and team medical staff. They’re unbiased and unconcerned with how close a game is or how important the two points are.

And if taking a slap shot between the eyes from a guy who has topped 108 mph during skills competitions doesn’t trigger the concussion protocol, then the entire process is a joke.
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Crow did get rocked. Almost looked like he got shot. that Panarin goal, pass from Kane to Schmaltz, was pretty damn impressive. I couldn't even tell you who the current backup G is since Darling is hurt.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Crow did get rocked. Almost looked like he got shot. that Panarin goal, pass from Kane to Schmaltz, was pretty damn impressive. I couldn't even tell you who the current backup G is since Darling is hurt.
Tanner Glass. Some old-timer career AHL-er.

Also it looks like they're holding Anisimov out for a month.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Darling didn't look like he missed a beat. Thank goodness. Wonder if Crow was held out due to shot to the head or a well deserved rest?

I am really liking Schmaltz.

Hayden didn't look bad for limited minutes, he didn't royally screw up anyway.