Blackhawks 2016-17 Playoffs

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Honestly the answer is getting younger and craftily unloading Seabrook's contract. The young guys on the roster need to keep developing, too.

The team is just plain OLD. Need to change that.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I was impressed with the majority of the young guys throughout the season. They didn't really show up here in the playoffs.

Can't see anyone taking Seabrooks' contract over and it is a fucking horrible contract. Wouldn't be shocked if the attempted to trade Crawford either.

I kind of liked what I saw out of Forsling but of course Q being Q wanted rosival around.

Jammer is beat up and has taken way too many shots to his ankles and legs. Oduya is gone. Kruger probably done in expansion draft. Toews is slowing down already and needs help on his line. Hossa is good in spurts and cannot be counted on forever. He needs to sit more during the year, healthy scratches.
UOK
Site Admin

The rate of Toews degradation due to concussions and whatever other small injuries he's sustained over the years is starting to gain momentum. Not to mention playing in the Olympics and other non-NHL international competitions. He's just taking a fucking beating for the last 15-odd years and he's not built like Hossa where his bulk can endure longer than it should. He also doesn't play a slippery game like Kane.

Same for Seabrook. He's had god-knows-how-many concussions and clearly isn't the same player he was, and that contract is pure murder.

Trading Saad was bad enough, but then they ditched Marko Dano in order to get a useless Andrew Ladd. Then they ditched the admittedly floundering Mark McNeil for the bust that was Oduya 2.0. Jeremy Morin never left Q's doghouse. I feel like Morin could've been a solid 4th-line menace if he'd been given a real shot, and honestly a line of him, Bollig, and Hartman would be a nasty 4th line to deal with.

The Blackhawks also desperately need a guy like Andrew Shaw to keep a fire under people's asses and get under the skin of the opposition, in addition to simply more size and physicality in their 3rd line and effective defensemen. There's simply a lot of holes that this team is now facing that may take more than 2-3 years to restore, but shouldn't altogether remove them from being competitive.