Rumor: Trestman to be fired at season's end; Emery possible

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Caning hasn't been corporal punishment in America for a long time, so I think they're all safe from that.
That depends on the type of establishment they frequent... or so I've heard. ;)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:In fairness to Bushrod, I'm pretty sure he's playing on a bum leg. It wouldn't surprise me if it comes out after the season that he needs surgery on something.
Pretty sure this is true. OT's don't go from being dominant to completely irrelevant in one season due to age. He hurt his foot or knee mid-way through the season, and I'm guessing it never really healed.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

For arguments sake let's play the what if game.
If Clausen wins out and the front office feels Jay ultimately was the problem do they keep Trestman?
UOK
Site Admin

bearsfaninaz wrote:For arguments sake let's play the what if game.
If Clausen wins out and the front office feels Jay ultimately was the problem do they keep Trestman?

No. That ship has sailed for both sides at this point.
wab
Mod

Nope. Trestman is gone no matter what happens.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

with every thread and every discussion of this failed season, I can't help but look back at the Atlanta game and wonder wtf happened

Bears, on the road, went through Atlanta the same way Sherman did ... Cutler and the offense - awesome ... the substitutes on defense - flying all over and knocking the snot out of everyone ... the Bears beat their asses in pretty much every way they could ... it was at that point I breathed a sigh of relief and thought "ok ... now we start rolling" ... then they come out the very next week, at home, and give us a complete shitshow against the Dolphins

and things have been total crap since

so what happened? LSD in the water at Halas Hall between weeks 6 & 7?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:with every thread and every discussion of this failed season, I can't help but look back at the Atlanta game and wonder wtf happened

Bears, on the road, went through Atlanta the same way Sherman did ... Cutler and the offense - awesome ... the substitutes on defense - flying all over and knocking the snot out of everyone ... the Bears beat their asses in pretty much every way they could ... it was at that point I breathed a sigh of relief and thought "ok ... now we start rolling" ... then they come out the very next week, at home, and give us a complete shitshow against the Dolphins

and things have been total crap since

so what happened? LSD in the water at Halas Hall between weeks 6 & 7?
I think it's more of Atlanta not as good as everyone else thought too more so than what happened to the Bears
IE
Hall of Famer

This is just a hail mary from Trestman - he needs to distance himself from Jay and prove that it is not his genius that is unsound - it is cutler's play.

If Clausen comes out and the Bears miraculously beat the Lions and Vikes soundly (it will not happen - but IF)... I believe Trestman would have a solid enough case to come back. I DO believe they've made up their minds, and Trestman is highly aware of it. So he has nothing to lose- here is Trestman's hail mary.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

IE you're getting your wish!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

To me, this entire season has seemed like a slow motion car crash, where I'm in the passenger seat and everyone around me including the driver had been asleep but is waking up slowly and recognizing we're in the process of a major disaster.

If I had my way, Trestman, Tucker, DeCamilis and Cutler would have all been fired after the Packer game. And I'm not even kidding.
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote:To me, this entire season has seemed like a slow motion car crash, where I'm in the passenger seat and everyone around me including the driver had been asleep but is waking up slowly and recognizing we're in the process of a major disaster.

If I had my way, Trestman, Tucker, DeCamilis and Cutler would have all been fired after the Packer game. And I'm not even kidding.
Well, that's pretty much the last game that mattered. I think everybody kinda knew that Trestman was coaching for his job that game. After it was 42-0 at half, this thing was donzo.
G08
Hall of Famer

IE wrote:I had my way, Trestman, Tucker, DeCamilis and Cutler would have all been fired after the Packer game. And I'm not even kidding.
What good would that have done?

Who would have been your head coach? DC? Special Teams? What about the salary camp implications?

I understand the point you are trying to make, but doing that would literally be stupid and pointless.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

IE

I agree. I tried for a long time to believe in Cutler. I made the same excuses we all made. However anyone that watches him, you just see the inconsistency. It's maddening.

I remember thinking during the Brown game last year. I thought, here is the poise we have been looking for. Cutler came out pissed and looked fanastic. Up until that game I was trying to believe. That game i saw greatness.

But this year we all kept waiting for it. The Atlanta game was a beauty but they are bad. After the Packer game I was done too.

To many shit throws. Not just int's. Not hitting players in side. So many throws that hit defenders in the chest. So many excuses. I really hope he is gone.

Build for greatness. Not maintain mediocre.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Go8

At least we could have gotten a better read on the talent level of this team.
IE
Hall of Famer

I agree that it would have been almost unprecedented to do what I suggested at mid-season. I also believe that situation was unprecedented - that was the moment when the flagship NFL franchise became the laughingstock of the NFL. At the hands of their arch-enemy.

I don't care who would have coached. I don't know how firing everyone would be more pointless than letting that debacle continue to stink up our world. I'd rather have Cavanaugh or Kromer coach the offense, and let Lance Briggs coach the D for crissake. How could it be worse? At that point, there was only possible upside - zero possible down side. There was nothing to salvage except as MMMC mentioned... getting a better grip on who wants to play & who might be able to.

There has been disagreement since about how bad things are... lots of comments like, "all this team needs is ____ (insert a position or two)"... which is complete nonsense.
G08
Hall of Famer

There is a reason this team has only one championship under their belt in 50 years.

They need to take a good, hard look at the very top of the organization and work their way down. Every position should be evaluated, and if there isn't a net positive brought to the Chicago Bears, dismiss them and find a replacement.

We are the Charter fucking franchise of this God damned league.

Time to start acting like it.

IE
Hall of Famer

On that, we all agree.

We know that this week the McCaskeys met with Pat Ryan and the other minority owners... clearly about the direction of the franchise, and the embarrassment this has all become. This season and what is happening is a REALLY big deal. If there was ever a circumstance where George would pull the trigger on long-time friend Phillips it is now. I'm not saying fire - but maybe promote to a purely non-football related position in the same way they neutered Michael. IF that happens (and it should)... all the heads below would roll. And I have a hard time believing at that point they would care about dead Cutler money... at that point, they don't want that baggage influencing the new regime coming in.

Ryan and the others are not McCaskeys - they are billionaires and also serious Bear fans.

Clean slate - it is needed, and now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The McCaskeys will always be the McCaskeys. They can fire from Phillips on down, but will their hires be the right people? I just kind of doubt it. They will do shit in their half assed way and the team will get lucky about every 20 yrs and make it to a Super Bowl. The team will continue to rake in money and make them happy and comfortable with life.

We will find out how serious they are if the fire Phillips on down. If anyone of those people remain, status quo.
Bearsmight
Journeyman

The events of the last couple days are a testament as to just how dysfunctional this organization is.

Ownership has turned this club into a laughing stock and perennial loser.
wab
Mod

Bearsmight wrote:The events of the last couple days are a testament as to just how dysfunctional this organization is.

If you read the article, you'd see ownership seems to be committed to righting these wrongs. This generic perception of the McCaskey's is tired and old. If they were the way you guys portray them, Trestman wouldn't be going anywhere, Cutler wouldn't be going anywhere, they would shrug off 10,000 monday night football no-shows because they are making that revenue up elsewhere.

They would just trot this same sorry mess out there next season. Hell...they probably wouldn't have even fired Lovie.

So please...get over this perception. It's worse than the "cheap" thing.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:If you read the article, you'd see ownership seems to be committed to righting these wrongs.
finally

wab wrote:This generic perception of the McCaskey's is tired and old.
bullshit

look at the history of this team and the lack of any sort of regular success ... that has the McAss-key fingerprints all over it and as long as the team was profitable, they continued to keep family members on board collecting checks and were happy as pigs in shit

finally, a disaster so bad even they could not ignore has made them pay attention to something other than their personal profits from the team

but just because they're now paying attention doesn't mean they won't totally fuck up the do-over ... their next key step is to figure out who they will give control to in order to clean this up and restart from a good point ... if they simply leave it in the hands of those who got us to this point, it will show just how little they care
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:If you read the article, you'd see ownership seems to be committed to righting these wrongs.
finally

wab wrote:This generic perception of the McCaskey's is tired and old.
bullshit

look at the history of this team and the lack of any sort of regular success ... that has the McAss-key fingerprints all over it and as long as the team was profitable, they continued to keep family members on board collecting checks and were happy as pigs in shit

finally, a disaster so bad even they could not ignore has made them pay attention to something other than their personal profits from the team

but just because they're now paying attention doesn't mean they won't totally fuck up the do-over ... their next key step is to figure out who they will give control to in order to clean this up and restart from a good point ... if they simply leave it in the hands of those who got us to this point, it will show just how little they care
As Dan Akroyd said in Tommy Boy...the first step is identifying the problem. The second is doing something about it.

If this was your version of the McCaskey's, Lovie never would have been fired. And if he was, Trestman sure as hell wouldn't have been fired after 32 games. They'd be sticking by their coach, and their QB, and going about their business.

This isn't 1992. Leave your "McAss-key", "Weenie-stedt", and "Ja-moron" tropes in the past and come to the present with the rest of us.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:As Dan Akroyd said in Tommy Boy...the first step is identifying the problem. The second is doing something about it.
and that is what I am waiting for - what are they going to do about it

wab wrote:If this was your version of the McCaskey's, Lovie never would have been fired. And if he was, Trestman sure as hell wouldn't have been fired after 32 games. They'd be sticking by their coach, and their QB, and going about their business.
think you're mixing up posts, but ok

I am on board with waiting to see what they do next ... because this scenario isn't like those in the past ... this is a total disaster requiring a complete overhaul instead of the standard patch-n-go jobs they are used to overseeing

wab wrote:Leave your "McAss-key", "Weenie-stedt", and "Ja-moron" tropes in the past and come to the present with the rest of us.
no

this McAss-key vermin is responsible for the state of things to date

if/when they actually step up and take a different path from their historical mismanagement, then and only then will I move on

so I am in wait and see mode
George Carlin
Bearsmight
Journeyman

wab wrote:
Bearsmight wrote:The events of the last couple days are a testament as to just how dysfunctional this organization is.

If you read the article, you'd see ownership seems to be committed to righting these wrongs. This generic perception of the McCaskey's is tired and old. If they were the way you guys portray them, Trestman wouldn't be going anywhere, Cutler wouldn't be going anywhere, they would shrug off 10,000 monday night football no-shows because they are making that revenue up elsewhere.

They would just trot this same sorry mess out there next season. Hell...they probably wouldn't have even fired Lovie.

I do not need to read an article to know where the problem starts. All I have to do is watch the games, listen to press conferences and look in the trophy case. This team can not even make the playoffs consistently let alone win a Superbowl. They hire bad gm's and then keep them around long after they know they are bad (see Jerry Angelos). I cannot wait to see what this clown circus does after the season is over.
wab
Mod

Bearsmight wrote:
wab wrote: If you read the article, you'd see ownership seems to be committed to righting these wrongs. This generic perception of the McCaskey's is tired and old. If they were the way you guys portray them, Trestman wouldn't be going anywhere, Cutler wouldn't be going anywhere, they would shrug off 10,000 monday night football no-shows because they are making that revenue up elsewhere.

I do not need to read an article to know where the problem starts. All I have to do is watch the games, listen to press conferences and look in the trophy case. This team can not even make the playoffs consistently let alone win a Superbowl. They hire bad gm's and then keep them around long after they know they are bad (see Jerry Angelos). I cannot wait to see what this clown circus does after the season is over.
This may sound dickish, but if you don't read the article, it's kinda hard to take any reply to it seriously. Whatever perception you have built up in your head is your deal.
UOK
Site Admin

2-12 team.

Check out that locker room. I think Gus Bradley knows how to handle adversity and his players.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vi ... 94dc5ac1fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

What article?

wab
Mod

UOK wrote:2-12 team.

Check out that locker room. I think Gus Bradley knows how to handle adversity and his players.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vi ... 94dc5ac1fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which is why after two seasons with 6 wins, he will still get one more year to improve.
Bearsmight
Journeyman

wab wrote:
Bearsmight wrote: I do not need to read an article to know where the problem starts. All I have to do is watch the games, listen to press conferences and look in the trophy case. This team can not even make the playoffs consistently let alone win a Superbowl. They hire bad gm's and then keep them around long after they know they are bad (see Jerry Angelos). I cannot wait to see what this clown circus does after the season is over.
This may sound dickish, but if you don't read the article, it's kinda hard to take any reply to it seriously. Whatever perception you have built up in your head is your deal.
Did you need to read the article to know that this team is horrible or that the McCaskeys own the team and have an accountant as president and CEO?

The Chicago Bears with a few exceptions have been bad for a very long time. There has been only one constant during that time and it's the McCaskey family. Do you know how many times they have made the playoffs since 1950?
In the last 65 seasons they have made the playoffs just 17 times. Do you still need to read and article to figure out who is to blame for that horrendous record? They may care about the team but it's painfully obvious that they know nothing about running one.
wab
Mod

Bearsmight wrote:
wab wrote: This may sound dickish, but if you don't read the article, it's kinda hard to take any reply to it seriously. Whatever perception you have built up in your head is your deal.
Did you need to read the article to know that this team is horrible or that the McCaskeys own the team and have an accountant as president and CEO?

The Chicago Bears with a few exceptions have been bad for a very long time. There has been only one constant during that time and it's the McCaskey family. Do you know how many times they have made the playoffs since 1950?
In the last 65 seasons they have made the playoffs just 17 times. Do you still need to read and article to figure out who is to blame for that horrendous record? They may care about the team but it's painfully obvious that they know nothing about running one.
There are a lot of factors into becoming a successful franchise. But if you want to just point and scream "MCCASKEY!!" then that's cool. It's terribly misinformed, but it's still cool.