Summer Madness Thread // BFO General Chat

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

So this is the ultimate downtime. We've got a bit to go before training camp and preseason, but all there is is baseball (which is fun for the Cubs fans, not so much for the Sox), the NHL draft/free agency, and what? Tennis or something?

How have your summers been? Gone on any vacations? Talk about whatever here, let's just get a conversation going.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Took the wife to Springfield (IL.) for an anniversary weekend. Took in some Lincoln sites. Museum is a must see. Ate at Charlie Parker's Diner. Little restaurant featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives about 7 yrs ago. It is in an old quansett hut. Had another good meal at Boone's Saloon. Had the breaded tenderloin horseshoe = excellent.

Started drinking Stag beer (I know, off the wall). If it is cold, not a bad little, cheap brew.
Gaytoe
Journeyman

Heading up to Montreal this weekend with some buddies. One of my friends fraternity brothers goes to school there now so we will be hitting up the house. Any recommendations on some places to go to while we are there (We are all on college)?
IE
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Took the wife to Springfield (IL.) for an anniversary weekend. Took in some Lincoln sites. Museum is a must see. Ate at Charlie Parker's Diner. Little restaurant featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives about 7 yrs ago. It is in an old quansett hut. Had another good meal at Boone's Saloon. Had the breaded tenderloin horseshoe = excellent.

Started drinking Stag beer (I know, off the wall). If it is cold, not a bad little, cheap brew.
I lived in "Springpatch" and worked about a block away from Boone's way back in the mid-'80s. Used to hang out there very regularly. Had a crush on a bartender named Laura that had the nicest little rear end I'd ever seen... lol

:shocked: :love: :hungry: :banana:
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

Lots of traveling around before getting married. Went to Bonnaroo for the first time a couple of week back, had a blast (aside from almost getting arrested within my first 5 minutes of being there lol)! I was never much of a camper but getting away from reality for 4 days and listening to some great music was a treat. Going to do a 3 hour bike ride from the city to Three Floyds brewery with the fiancé this weekend, that should be a drunken mess :toast:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Some mutha f*cker slashed my tire over the lunch hour!!!! :frustrated: In broad f*cking daylight!!! In front of the courthouse :frustrated: WTF is wrong with people??????
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Your work for P&P. Possibly one of your clients?
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Some mutha f*cker slashed my tire over the lunch hour!!!! :frustrated: In broad f*cking daylight!!! In front of the courthouse :frustrated: WTF is wrong with people??????
[video][/video]
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:So this is the ultimate downtime. We've got a bit to go before training camp and preseason, but all there is is baseball (which is fun for the Cubs fans, not so much for the Sox), the NHL draft/free agency, and what? Tennis or something?

How have your summers been? Gone on any vacations? Talk about whatever here, let's just get a conversation going.

I've been avoiding this forum like the plague ... so this suggestion is a nice diversion from the usual madness. :thumbsup:

I've been touring the local wineries. Lots of good ones now. I got to be on a taste testing panel at one of them, where we mere mortals matched wits with the wine experts.

We won.

The wine we, the wine fans, selected won the award it was up for at the regional vintners association shindig. The wine the experts chose didn't make the top 3.

Playing softball on occasion. Can't get there from work in time for the early games during the week.

Have been giving my grill a workout. The fruit stuffed bacon wrapped smoked pork loin was a hit with the daughter when she came to visit,

This is going to be a laid back summer for me. No real vacation but several long weekends and short trips.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Rented a house in the Ozarks on the lake in July. Should be a good time.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

In New Orleans right now for a friend's bday. Am wasted
xyt in the discord chats
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Cruise for a week for our 27th anniversary. Working on our sons wedding this September and lots of honey do's.

I stand alone.

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bears_40 and 0 guests
UOK
Site Admin

I went to Michigan for my usual summer camping trip, which was a blast, but otherwise had to deal with a real unfortunate issue with work which was resolved. Plus I was sick as a dog for a couple weeks. I have another Michigan trip planned for August and who knows what else in between. Just kinda going along the dusty summer trail.

I know we all hate this forum during the dead time (because it gets DEAD) but it's all the more fun when the season rolls around and we learn to fight in new and more colorful ways.
base615
Assistant Coach

Flying back home to the UK in August. Looking forward to getting back and seeing my parents, brother and mates but not looking forward to the 29 hour flights.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Got quite a lot planned but nothing to take my mind off the fact there isn't any football ANYWHERE!!

Going to Dusseldorf in Germany for a weekend to watch my football(soccer team) play in a friendly, four of us going and it's followed by an after party in some dis used steel works with fans from the opposition which should be fun. Lots of drink and laughs.

Other then that the usual summer vacation which this year will see us take in Mallorca for two weeks.

BRING BACK FOOTBALL :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
Have a great day
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bearfanuk wrote:Got quite a lot planned but nothing to take my mind off the fact there isn't any football ANYWHERE!!

BRING BACK FOOTBALL :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

well, you have the Canadian Football League, which began its 2015 season last night ... you've got the Arena Football League which is halfway through their season I think ... and then there is the Lingerie Football League (which they have changed the name to Legends Football probably so people can surf fro it at work without being nailed)

are any of these a substitute for the NFL? probably not ... but it is a form of football, which is entertaining if your expectations are in accordance with the particular league
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I think by the time the draft ends I'm just about ready for a football break, especially if the Bears were hot garbage like they were last year. The buildup to football is overdone these days as well, especially when they hype up the preseason, which basically is boring and terrifying (injuries) all at once. I wish things would be like they were 10-odd years ago where football was exciting but it wasn't like LOOKOUT WORLD, FOOTBALL IS BACK! SET YOUR CALENDARS BECAUSE OH MY GOD IT IS THE GREATEST SPORT OF ALL TIME AND HOW HAVE WE LIVED WITHOUT IT!? GET YOUR FANTASY FOOTBALL BLAH BLAH BLAH AND HOLY SHIT, GOD I LOVE FOOTBALL AND I NEED IT, I NEED IT NOW

But that's just how it is. Everything involving the NFL is now an Event of the grandest nature.
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:In New Orleans right now for a friend's bday. Am wasted
Where you staying? Assuming you're hanging around Bourbon St. and the French Quarter. If you can, do not miss having breakfast (or any meal of the day, actually) and Jimmy J's on Chartres ... trust me. Tiny place, cool, authentic and reasonably priced - and outrageously good.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I went to Michigan for my usual summer camping trip, which was a blast, but otherwise had to deal with a real unfortunate issue with work which was resolved. Plus I was sick as a dog for a couple weeks. I have another Michigan trip planned for August and who knows what else in between. Just kinda going along the dusty summer trail.

I know we all hate this forum during the dead time (because it gets DEAD) but it's all the more fun when the season rolls around and we learn to fight in new and more colorful ways.
Where at in MI?
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote:
UOK wrote:I went to Michigan for my usual summer camping trip, which was a blast, but otherwise had to deal with a real unfortunate issue with work which was resolved. Plus I was sick as a dog for a couple weeks. I have another Michigan trip planned for August and who knows what else in between. Just kinda going along the dusty summer trail.

Where at in MI?
South Haven. Van Buren State Park.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Your work for P&P. Possibly one of your clients?
Luckily two people saw who (they had not seen the person before) it going down but could not believe what they were seeing. They gave description to police. doubt it will end up helping. Wasn't a client.

Kind of sounds like the guy ran into the car on his bike. Got pissed at the car for being in a parking space and puncture, slash away.
docc
Head Coach

Just enjoying the 147,123* heat before our monsoon cools down the desert..

May go back up to Breckenridge, CO in the truck..(no cycle this time)...and just chill out..

Here in Tucson I am at the base of a 10,000 ft mountain with a great road to the top. It gets just a little crowded up there this time of year..

Edit..corrected beer infused confusion
Last edited by docc on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:May go back up to Breckenridge, CO in the truck..(cycle this time)...and just chill out..
I had a cousin who used to live in Breckenridge ... do they still have the 'Kingdom of Breckenridge' festival?
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Yep..
Last week 6/21..
Pagan
MVP

My daughter will be graduating from bootcamp soon, so I'm going to be heading down to Lackland AFB, TX.

I'm hoping to have the $ to also go to the Bristol Renniassance fair this year.
Stupid vow of poverty...

Of hey... I live 1 hour due south of South Haven MI.
I'm right on the Indiana/Michigan border= New Carlisle indiana.
wab
Mod

Pagan wrote:My daughter will be graduating from bootcamp soon, so I'm going to be heading down to Lackland AFB, TX.

I'm hoping to have the $ to also go to the Bristol Renniassance fair this year.
Stupid vow of poverty...

Of hey... I live 1 hour due south of South Haven MI.
I'm right on the Indiana/Michigan border= New Carlisle indiana.
Make sure you hit up Riverwalk.
http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stay_Cool
MVP

Got myself a new car. 94 pontiac firebird (not the v8...) with only 86k miles. Nice lil fun cruiser for the summer. Cost me 1500, its in great shape too.
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:My daughter will be graduating from bootcamp soon, so I'm going to be heading down to Lackland AFB, TX.
congrats man. Having a child serve our country is a great achievement in parenthood. As a veteran I can tell you she is taking a path few have the balls to do. It not only is selfless and all but it is also a lesson in discipline. You should be a proud father.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
congrats man. Having a child serve our country is a great achievement in parenthood. As a veteran I can tell you she is taking a path few have the balls to do. It not only is selfless and all but it is also a lesson in discipline. You should be a proud father.

I'll second this ... congrats Pagan ... I wish your daughter well on her USAF adventure ... hope she has as much fun as I did, especially on my tour in Germany (though if she does, she will have some stories she will never tell you)
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This summer is flying by. Anyone else feel the same way? It just seems like time is at warp speed lately. I cannot believe we are half way thru this year already.