2015 Chicago Bears Training Camp MegaThread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I hope he proves me wrong, I really do. But my God was he nowhere near Amari Cooper's talent level.
Yeah, but Cooper was gone. And once Williams went off the board, White really was the best value. I wanted Williams...and after him it was White or trade down.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I get that people can disagree with the pick - or think he is raw or whatever - but I don't see how anyone could argue he wasn't 'worth' the 7th pick.

As for the comparison to Cooper... Why the fuck is that even relevant - Cooper wasn't available at 7. Or 6. Or 5.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

Right? I mean there were really only 5 players "worthy" of the top 10.

Williams
Cooper
Fowler
White
Gregory (regardless of how far he fell, he was one of the 5 best players in the draft.)

3 of those 5 were gone when we picked. So I wasn't mad at the selection at all.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:I get that people can disagree with the pick - or think he is raw or whatever - but I don't see how anyone could argue he wasn't 'worth' the 7th pick.

As for the comparison to Cooper... Why the fuck is that even relevant - Cooper wasn't available at 7. Or 6. Or 5.
He only had one productive season in college.

He is as raw of a first round WR prospect that I can recall in recent history.

He literally can not run a complete route tree.

Moves I would have made instead of him at #7:

Vic Beasley
Todd Gurley
Trae Waynes
Trade Down
Bud Dupree
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

Notes on camp from Pompei so far:
Dan Pompei mentions that free agent acquisition OLB Pernell McPhee has looked like “the real deal” and believe the Bears may have signed him at “just the right time in his career.”

Pompei expects WR Eddie Royal to have a big year for the Bears in 2015.

According to Pompei, Jay Cutler has looked good, but Chicago could be in the market for a quarterback once roster cuts begin to take place.
wab
Mod

Bears website finally has a handful of player height/weight updates. I know it's inconsequential, but it's been an annoyance for me for a long time.

Lamarr Houston: 6'3 270 (Previously 6'3 300)

Cornelius Washington: 6'4 285 (Previously 6'4 265)

Kyle Long: 6'6 328 (Previously 6'6 311)

Jared Allen: 6'6 255 (Previously 6'6 270)

David Bass: 6'4 260 (Previously 6'4 254)

Pernell McPhee: 6'3 275 (Previously 6'3 288)

Ego Ferguson: 6'2 309 (Previously 6'0 311)

Brock Vereen: 5'11 202 (Previously 6'0 199)

Kadeem Carey: 5'10 210 (Previously 5'6 204)

Jordan Mills: 6'5 320 (Previously 6'5 309)

Shea McClellin: 6'3 245 (Previously 6'3 260)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

ah ... training camp ... and the first conspiracy theory by a Chicago sports media person

Kevin White's shin and Bears' suspicious cover stories
The Kevin White saga is trending badly. The vague, mysterious and suspicious cover story offered by the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) is trending worse.

This is some kind of reboot, huh?

Quick, someone tell Ryan Pace this is a bad look for a general manager who came from the team that got popped for Bountygate and then slimed the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) with the Ray McDonald debacle.

White supposedly hurt his shin during minicamp and was kept off the field by the end of those sessions.

Curiously, White also was in Nashville sometime later when Cutler organized the skill position players for throwing practices.

More curiously, White has been no-go since camp opened last week, and it’s only getting worse.

White started camp as day-to-day, according to John Fox, coach of the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) who downgraded White’s status Monday. The medical term for it, I believe, is who knows when.

On the upside, second-round pick Eddie Goldman apparently made it through Monday without getting dehydrated.

The limited descriptions of White’s injury and alleged recovery offered by the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) make you think White hurt himself in some kind of embarrassing way, which is saying something for a team whose big-money, free-agent defensive lineman blew out an ACL celebrating a sack of a second-stringer while his team trailed by a hundred points last year.

Any chance White went to a concert with Corey Crawford?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Ferguson has said he's down to 295 lbs

Nice to see Mills up to 320 lbs, should be wonderful in the run game

Allen really thinned out... makes me wonder how he will do at RDE when we are in the Nickel

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:ah ... training camp ... and the first conspiracy theory by a Chicago sports media person

Kevin White's shin and Bears' suspicious cover stories
The Kevin White saga is trending badly. The vague, mysterious and suspicious cover story offered by the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) is trending worse.

This is some kind of reboot, huh?

Quick, someone tell Ryan Pace this is a bad look for a general manager who came from the team that got popped for Bountygate and then slimed the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) with the Ray McDonald debacle.

White supposedly hurt his shin during minicamp and was kept off the field by the end of those sessions.

Curiously, White also was in Nashville sometime later when Cutler organized the skill position players for throwing practices.

More curiously, White has been no-go since camp opened last week, and it’s only getting worse.

White started camp as day-to-day, according to John Fox, coach of the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) who downgraded White’s status Monday. The medical term for it, I believe, is who knows when.

On the upside, second-round pick Eddie Goldman apparently made it through Monday without getting dehydrated.

The limited descriptions of White’s injury and alleged recovery offered by the (local football team name left blank per new media rules) make you think White hurt himself in some kind of embarrassing way, which is saying something for a team whose big-money, free-agent defensive lineman blew out an ACL celebrating a sack of a second-stringer while his team trailed by a hundred points last year.

Any chance White went to a concert with Corey Crawford?
What a petty article reeking of sour grapes.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I love the last line though. Crawford came back from his eff up and kicked ass - Maybe White will do the same.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:What a petty article reeking of sour grapes.
no argument from me on that

guy seems to have his panties in a bunch over some new media rules, but I wouldn't take his word for what those new rules may be
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 41m41 minutes ago
Source: #Bears WR Kevin White pushing to get on field, but team being cautious. No timeframe for return, his running to increase

Middleguard
MVP

wab wrote:Bears website finally has a handful of player height/weight updates. I know it's inconsequential, but it's been an annoyance for me for a long time.
I'm impressed by Pace's tech savvy. He apparently authorized the team to purchase its very first scale.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I heard they were just paying one of those carnival ladies who guesses weight for $1...
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:I heard they were just paying one of those carnival ladies who guesses weight for $1...

you heard wrong ... they didn't want to spend the $1, so just let their carnival geek (Mikey M) do it
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Defense apparently destroyed the offensive teams at today's practice. I hope these guys come out to send a message.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:Defense apparently destroyed the offensive teams at today's practice. I hope these guys come out to send a message.
That's encouraging to read. The defensive transition has been my biggest concern.
IE
Hall of Famer

I guess I'm kind of naive or just hopelessly optimistic every year at this time ... and I know I've been burned by this before (e.g. Mike Tice knows OLs, Mike Martz is a genius, Trestman knows offense & is smarter than all the DCs) ... but I do think that Fangio's credentials are such that we should expect him to get the most out of what he has. I'm assuming that many of the players that ended up being "great" or "really good" under him in SF did not start out that way - but rather, were coached and taught the game by Fangio. I fully expect a few "meh" players from the past few years to really step up under Fangio and in the new system. We've heard about Cornwash looking interesting. I'm guessing there will be 3-4 guys that really show up and excel under the new DC. And I'm expecting that most of the others who do end up sticking can play respectfully enough to not get totally slaughtered and keep the offense in most games.

Maybe I'm dreaming. We'll see.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

You and me both IE, I subconsciously shut off all things football during the off-season and dive deeply into the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Cubs. Now that camp is back, it's all flooding back into me and I'm starting to see the world with a navy and burnt orange twinge.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:You and me both IE, I subconsciously shut off all things football during the off-season and dive deeply into the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Cubs. Now that camp is back, it's all flooding back into me and I'm starting to see the world with a navy and burnt orange twinge.
I've been burned too many times. I'm seeing it for what it is...a transitional year. I just want a good product on the field. Our schedule is too tough and we've got too many unanswered questions to expect anything more than 6 or 7 wins.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've got us at 7-9 realistically, the homer in me thinks 9-7 with us getting hot and winning the last 5 games of the season.

IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:You and me both IE, I subconsciously shut off all things football during the off-season and dive deeply into the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Cubs. Now that camp is back, it's all flooding back into me and I'm starting to see the world with a navy and burnt orange twinge.
I've been burned too many times. I'm seeing it for what it is...a transitional year. I just want a good product on the field. Our schedule is too tough and we've got too many unanswered questions to expect anything more than 6 or 7 wins.
Yeah - agreed. But I'll be happy with 7. With 3 I'll be suicidal, even knowing it is transition of sorts. I just can't see them being that bad.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

I guess Kevin White is being explicitly held out of practice by the coaching staff. Fox said as much today, basically admitting they're being intensely precautious.
Middleguard
MVP

UOK wrote:I guess Kevin White is being explicitly held out of practice by the coaching staff. Fox said as much today, basically admitting they're being intensely precautious.
Not sure what you mean. On PUP, he can't practice. Do you mean he's explicitly being left on PUP? Because he has shin splints? They're often a sign of changing a training program too rapidly. I think their caution is reasonable.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I have somewhat tuned out this camp season. Partly because I know this is an evaluation year, and partly because I am as big of a baseball fan as I am football. I have been drinking the Theo Kool-Aide for the last four years, and its been a lot of fun watching it start to pay off. I will check back in more regularly when the Cubs are mathematically out of it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I will check back in more regularly when the Cubs are mathematically out of it.
ah ... so see you in September
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris, it could be worse, they could be, like usual, eliminated by now. ;)

Cubs on the upswing. don't watch baseball but go thru the usual Cub, Cardinal discussion every morning. Co-workers make me sick talking this shit from day one.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears host Brian Urlacher, Olin Kreutz at Wednesday's practice
BOURBONNIAS, Ill. -- Six months ago at his introductory press conference, Chicago Bears head coach John Fox spoke about the importance of the organization reconnecting with former middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.

True to his word, the Bears hosted Urlacher, along with ex-Bears' offensive linemen Olin Kreutz and James "Big Cat" Williams, at the team's Wednesday practice held on the campus of Olivet Nazarene.

"I've had a relationship with Brian before I came here so I think that always helps," Fox said. "He and I have a friendship already. I've encouraged him to be around more, to come around. He's wise. I've seen him a couple times socially this offseason and he was out here with one of his sons today so I'll encourage that. I like alumni people, people who have been in the seats these guys have been. I'm sure they're happy they're not out there practicing right now, or at least they'd mention that. But they'll be encouraged to be around, Brian included."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:Bears host Brian Urlacher, Olin Kreutz at Wednesday's practice
BOURBONNIAS, Ill. -- Six months ago at his introductory press conference, Chicago Bears head coach John Fox spoke about the importance of the organization reconnecting with former middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.

True to his word, the Bears hosted Urlacher, along with ex-Bears' offensive linemen Olin Kreutz and James "Big Cat" Williams, at the team's Wednesday practice held on the campus of Olivet Nazarene.

"I've had a relationship with Brian before I came here so I think that always helps," Fox said. "He and I have a friendship already. I've encouraged him to be around more, to come around. He's wise. I've seen him a couple times socially this offseason and he was out here with one of his sons today so I'll encourage that. I like alumni people, people who have been in the seats these guys have been. I'm sure they're happy they're not out there practicing right now, or at least they'd mention that. But they'll be encouraged to be around, Brian included."
WagonForce
MVP

Boris13c wrote:Urlacher at Traing Camp
The healing has started, I'm starting to believe we're on the path.