Free Agency Targets

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:This draft is pretty freaking deep at corner and safety (I'm talking you can find quality players in rounds 2-3)... I'm starting to think we should sit out of tier 1 of free agency, aside from Alshon Jeffery, or focus on really upgrading at 5T across from Hicks.
The problem with drafting two more DBs is that the Bears have a metric ton of young defensive backs. I'd argue that if they are going to draft one, it should be a PURE free safety and not another corner.
I agree. The Bears roster is flooded with strong safeties and cornerbacks. Especially if we sign one of the big time free agent CB's.
wab
Mod

If they do draft a corner, then Fuller becomes immediately available to whoever has a spare 4th round pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:If they do draft a corner, then Fuller becomes immediately available to whoever has a spare 4th round pick.
I dunno... I can't trust Porter to stay healthy and I get that they want Hall to get some burn... but man, getting a first round talent in round 2 or 3 is really hard for me to bypass, especially when looking at our secondary.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:If they do draft a corner, then Fuller becomes immediately available to whoever has a spare 4th round pick.
I'd rather cut Porter.
malk
Head Coach

If we don't get a top tier DB in free agency I'll be gutted. Well maybe not necessarily top tier, Swearing would be fine for example, but we need some vet presence back there that isn't Porter.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

ysleblanc wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:Would you put in time and effort on Manziel if you are the Bears?

absolutely not

the Bears need a QB, not a trainwreck

Maybe he is really getting his act together?

there have been guys who have done just that, got their second chance, and made the most of it

I don't see Manziel as one of those guys ... he is douchebag to the bone
Given how hard top QB's are, I would do recon and if he looks to have smartened up, I'd have no issue giving him a chance...no guaranteed money...no big risk.
Honestly I still don't understand how Manziel ended up in the first round... he actually said in interviews that he had never pointed out the Mike backer... meaning he probably had no concept of defense or defensive schemes... and honestly I really don't believe he would have done jack had he not had Mike Evans... now take away a good bit of his natural abilities because lack of football and working out because he has been partying for most of the last two years and you really would want to look into the guy?
G08
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:Would you put in time and effort on Manziel if you are the Bears?

absolutely not

there have been guys who have done just that, got their second chance, and made the most of it

Given how hard top QB's are, I would do recon and if he looks to have smartened up, I'd have no issue giving him a chance...no guaranteed money...no big risk.
Honestly I still don't understand how Manziel ended up in the first round... he actually said in interviews that he had never pointed out the Mike backer... meaning he probably had no concept of defense or defensive schemes... and honestly I really don't believe he would have done jack had he not had Mike Evans... now take away a good bit of his natural abilities because lack of football and working out because he has been partying for most of the last two years and you really would want to look into the guy?
No joke, he was drafted because he texted our very own Dowell Loggains and said he wanted them to hurry up and draft him so they could tear up the league together :lol:

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

absolutely not

No joke, he was drafted because he texted our very own Dowell Loggains and said he wanted them to hurry up and draft him so they could tear up the league together :lol:
Well we have seen Dowell's ability to judge talent... as Howard was a healthy scratch for week 1.
Funkster
MVP

I'm usually one for exploring all options, but Manziel? Really? The last reports were he weighs 165lbs. If that's true, he would need to gain 45lbs to get back to his "fighting weight". I'm all for a man reconizing his short comings and trying to turn his life around. But he has a long row to hoe to get back into the NFL. The bears need to fix their QB problem not create another one.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
ysleblanc
MVP

A few FA's on offense

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-th ... n-offense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adipost
MVP

ysleblanc
MVP

Adipost wrote:
I'd rather cut Porter.

Yeah, if you're willing to go with a young QB, you should be willing to go young at CB if it nets you young talent with upside and costs you Porter.
ysleblanc
MVP

I'd rather gamble on Fuller and dump Porter.
ysleblanc
MVP

Funkster wrote:I'm usually one for exploring all options, but Manziel? Really? The last reports were he weighs 165lbs. If that's true, he would need to gain 45lbs to get back to his "fighting weight". I'm all for a man reconizing his short comings and trying to turn his life around. But he has a long row to hoe to get back into the NFL. The bears need to fix their QB problem not create another one.

I'm not pretending to know everything about his situation. I had heard he was cleaned up and wanted to pursue his career, no harm in doing a bit of research on him. If Pace and co are not willing to turn over every stone looking for good football players, then they should not have their jobs.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:
Funkster wrote:I'm usually one for exploring all options, but Manziel? Really? The last reports were he weighs 165lbs. If that's true, he would need to gain 45lbs to get back to his "fighting weight". I'm all for a man reconizing his short comings and trying to turn his life around. But he has a long row to hoe to get back into the NFL. The bears need to fix their QB problem not create another one.

I'm not pretending to know everything about his situation. I had heard he was cleaned up and wanted to pursue his career, no harm in doing a bit of research on him. If Pace and co are not willing to turn over every stone looking for good football players, then they should not have their jobs.

since you seem to be so interested in him, how about you do a little research on him?

I have already ... and what comes back is :

* admitted to substance abuse program ... checked himself out prior to completion of program
* claims he is now free of his demons, cured them all himself
* still has a lawsuit continuing over punching out his girlfriend while driving

those things alone are a very large red flag ... add to that he simply sucks as an athlete, and you have someone less worthy of being given a chance to make an NFL roster that any random person you can find on a UPS loading dock

Johnny Manziel is a 100% useless douche nozzle and if Pace and friends waste even a minute of their time on him it will be an indication they aren't doing their jobs rather than the opposite as you are implying
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Cardinals are working to re-sign Tony Jefferson apparently. Shit.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote:Cardinals are working to re-sign Tony Jefferson apparently. Shit.
I really don't think he's the guy for the Bears to go after as a safety, he's a box safety, Amos or JQ could both be box safeties with a good ball hawking center fielder back there. I be more interested in someone like Rashad Johnson or maybe Duron Harmon, Johnson is not great in run support but has good coverage skills and Harmon is a young guy stuck behind two vets in NE, he does have 7 ints in 4 years of limited action though.
G08
Hall of Famer

I have no problem taking one of Jabril Peppers / Budda Baker / Marcus Williams / Desmond King in round 2.

I'd probably spend my money on Jeffery, Bouye, and a filler on the DL.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:I have no problem taking one of Jabril Peppers / Budda Baker / Marcus Williams / Desmond King in round 2.

I'd probably spend my money on Jeffery, Bouye, and a filler on the DL.
Budda Baker or King sound mighty nice to me in the second. Or Obi from UConn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G08
Hall of Famer

I wish Baker was a little bit bigger and King a little more athletic.

Williams really isn't bad either, just a little softer than what I like in a safety.

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I wish Baker was a little bit bigger
B is a very bright kid. His football IQ makes up for his lack of size. He is deceptively strong and flashes on the field. I personally would like to see him stay in school one more year but that's just the dad in me talking. I've seen his name on more than a few boards going first round. Couldn't be more happier for him!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
B is a very bright kid. His football IQ makes up for his lack of size. He is deceptively strong and flashes on the field. I personally would like to see him stay in school one more year but that's just the dad in me talking. I've seen his name on more than a few boards going first round. Couldn't be more happier for him!
I like him a lot, I just worry he'll get himself hurt with how aggressively he plays (although he tends to tackle at/below the knees which helps). I see some Bob Sanders in his game, maybe less of a thumper.

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:
I like him a lot, I just worry he'll get himself hurt with how aggressively he plays (although he tends to tackle at/below the knees which helps). I see some Bob Sanders in his game, maybe less of a thumper.
He looks tiny out there. When he's trying to tackle a big receiver or tight end, he looks like a little kid trying to hang on to the guys ankle for dear life.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:
Agreed! He is a student of form tackling and has really good eyes. I may be a little biased so it's good to hear what others think of him.
G08
Hall of Famer

I guess that begs the question "what makes you biased"?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Clearly funk is part of the creepy old guy watching college boys in tight pants club. Or you know a family friend/coach.

Baker is good, I have seen a bunch of him. That secondary as a whole is great. I would take King over him but that's not a knock on him.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I guess that begs the question "what makes you biased"?

I may or may not know a player here or there??

mmmc_35 wrote: Clearly funk is part of the creepy old guy watching college boys in tight pants club.
Hey, I can deal with creepy but who you calling old?? Good stuff man :)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

There's dozens, if not hundreds, of guys who were great players in college, but don't have the measurables to do it at the next level. We'll see what Baker measures out at combine, but I'm pessimistic. I think his best case is Mike Brown Lite - good for a few years, before his undersized body crumbles from the punishment and from carrying more weight than it was designed for. And the more likely future scenario is a slot corner or nickelback who shouldn't go any sooner than R4 at the earliest.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

His tackling form is excellent when is isn't trying to put a lick on someone. I worry about his health if he tries that lead shoulder shot in the pros. It's especially annoying as it's completely unnecessary anyway, takes away balance, leads to over committing and doesn't really add any power over a good form tackle with arms out ready.

I think he'll make a good pro for quite a few years, he's only an inch shorter and 20lbs lighter than Eric Weddle, that's not insignificant but it isn't as if he's 5'9" 170lbs.

The more I watch though, I think he'll be better against the run than in coverage and I really want us to get an exceptional coverage safety.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

If I have a choice in the second between king and baker I chose King.

Looking over the possible free agents, there are some interesting names out there at safety (not mashed Eric Berry). None are HOF but several are almost average.