Bears to sign QB Mike Glennon: 3 yr, $14.5M per

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Guess it just depends on how highly the QB is drafted. Picking a coach around a young unproven, and highly drafted, QB rarely works out as well as letting the coach have input on drafting his own young unproven, and highly drafted, QB.

Now if it's a 4th round Brad Kaaya, then it doesn't really matter.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:Guess it just depends on how highly the QB is drafted. Picking a coach around a young unproven, and highly drafted, QB rarely works out as well as letting the coach have input on drafting his own young unproven, and highly drafted, QB.

Now if it's a 4th round Brad Kaaya, then it doesn't really matter.
Plus the QB is likely to be groomed if Sanchez is the backup. I'm also still pissy about the $4.5m guaranteed in 2018, Glennon's guaranteed money in 2017 was more than anyone else was offering (well, almost certainly) so why the need to give him the token guaranteed cash in 2018? We had our pants pulled down in that negotiation.

If we signed Glennon because Fox can't deal with a rookie QB then Fox should have been canned. Signing a mid tier QB on a team that isn't ready to compete is just plain stupid. We're going to finish somewhere around 7-9 to 9-7 unless the defence really clicks (then maybe 10-6) or we get loads of injuries again and we drop to 6-10. That's squarely in the black hole of no success without top draft picks.

Woo. Hoo.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Funkster
MVP

If Matt Barkley can look decent in Loggains system, I have zero doubt in Glennon's ability to lead the bears offense. The team has 22.5 million in cap space... let it go man...just let it go! IMO, this team will be more competitive this season than most around here think. How many games did the bears loose by a TD or less last season? I'm starting to get pretty amped for this season and it's not even June yet.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:I'm starting to get pretty amped for this season and it's not even June yet.
yeah well, me too ... to the point of posting "Reason for Optimism" threads

then generally in November I go from optimistic to pissed off as I watch the latest dumpster fire fully reveal itself in all its glory

as for last year, this is still the best clip to sum up 2016 :

[video][/video]

that has it all .... perfect pass into an open receiver's hands ... through the hands omto the ground as incompletion instead of TD ... then an innocent person pays for the error (the security guard getting the ball kicked into his ass)

for 2016, all of us were that security guard ... we were the innocent people paying for / abused by the team failures
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

I'm about the most optimistic fan there is! Come training camp I'll have my bear tinted glasses on but for now our management is making weird, confused decisions.

Yes we'll be better but we're not closer to being a contender and that makes me sad.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Funkster
MVP

malk wrote:I'm about the most optimistic fan there is! Come training camp I'll have my bear tinted glasses on but for now our management is making weird, confused decisions.

Yes we'll be better but we're not closer to being a contender and that makes me sad.
I guess I just don't see these "weird" or "confused decisions" you speak of.
The Bears needed a QB, they went out and got the best player available.
The Bears needed a back up QB, they went out and got the best player available.
The Bears needed DB's, they were very active and signed four.
The Bears needed a WR, they signed Wheaton.
The Bears needed a TE, they signed Sims.

All of these moves allow them to not draft positions of need but draft the best player available. Drafting a player like Allen, Solomon or Hooker can be the piece missing from a defense that's ready to have a break out year.

True, the bears may not be super bowl contenders yet, but I believe they can compete for the north, which would be a huge improvement over the last few years.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Your "best available" assertions are debatable. And there's nothing about this defense that suggests they are anywhere close to breaking out.
Funkster
MVP

Ok, name a better QB and back up that was available, for the love of all that is sacred, please don't say Barkley.

As far as the defense goes, I think finishing the season ranked around 10th can be signs towards breaking out. Add a few players like Cooper, Demps and Amukamara and these guys just might surprise you.
wab
Mod

Hoyer. And I hate Hoyer... but he's a better back up than Sanchez.

Chase Daniel
Case Keenum
Colin Kaepernick (politics aside)
Josh McCown

All guys that would have been better signings. Because Mark fucking Sanchez.

Hell...Glennon is also a better backup, but alas, they paid him as a starter.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Hoyer. And I hate Hoyer... but he's a better back up than Sanchez.

Chase Daniel
Case Keenum
Colin Kaepernick (politics aside)
Josh McCown

All guys that would have been better signings. Because Mark fucking Sanchez.

Hell...Glennon is also a better backup, but alas, they paid him as a starter.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:
malk wrote:I'm about the most optimistic fan there is! Come training camp I'll have my bear tinted glasses on but for now our management is making weird, confused decisions.

I guess I just don't see these "weird" or "confused decisions" you speak of.
The Bears needed a QB, they went out and got the best player available.
The Bears needed a back up QB, they went out and got the best player available.
The Bears needed DB's, they were very active and signed four.
The Bears needed a WR, they signed Wheaton.
The Bears needed a TE, they signed Sims.

All of these moves allow them to not draft positions of need but draft the best player available. Drafting a player like Allen, Solomon or Hooker can be the piece missing from a defense that's ready to have a break out year.

True, the bears may not be super bowl contenders yet, but I believe they can compete for the north, which would be a huge improvement over the last few years.
If the best available isn't very good then I'm not over the moon at signing them. I've posted my reasoning about why the Glennon and Sanchez signings are poor so there's no point going over that again.

For the rest of the signings I just find them to be a weird mix. From memory, no splash when we need playmakers and have the cap space. One year deals when we're not ready to compete. Three year deals that aren't cheap so don't help the cap in the short term and don't become value over time (due to a rising cap), well one of those.

I get the whole building through the draft schtick but if he's not willing to spend any significant cap space in free agency then why sign Glennon to a three year deal? A "bridge" QB shouldn't be getting starter money. Why sign vets to one year deals at all? Either he rates them sufficiently to sign them to multi year deals or we're just hurting future draft stock.

So it doesn't make a great deal of sense to me at all, I don't get Pace at all in free agency.

wab
Mod

malk wrote:I don't get Pace at all in free agency.
Me either. And his free agency decisions screw the draft up. His tendency is to sign multiple players in free agency where there's tremendous depth in the draft (CB and WR for example).

He then ends up having to cut younger player still on rookie and/or cheap contracts because the vets he's signed are guaranteed enough money that you can't just cut them.

So in all, it actually goes AGAINST his philosophy of building through the draft. He's hit on what...3 picks in two years?

And I'm sorry but lucking into Whitehair being able to play center doesn't qualify that as a good pick because there was a logjam at OG last season.

He's also terribly mishandled the QB situation...both in FA and the draft.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:
malk wrote:I don't get Pace at all in free agency.
Me either. And his free agency decisions screw the draft up. His tendency is to sign multiple players in free agency where there's tremendous depth in the draft (CB and WR for example).

He then ends up having to cut younger player still on rookie and/or cheap contracts because the vets he's signed are guaranteed enough money that you can't just cut them.

So in all, it actually goes AGAINST his philosophy of building through the draft. He's hit on what...3 picks in two years?

And I'm sorry but lucking into Whitehair being able to play center doesn't qualify that as a good pick because there was a logjam at OG last season.

He's also terribly mishandled the QB situation...both in FA and the draft.
I'll give him an incomplete for the 2015 draft. Lots of unlucky injuries but Amos is starter quality and Goldman has shown very good flashes. Tay Fab and Langford are busts though. I don't see how Grasu can make it with us so it's down to Goldman getting fit and White proving, well, something. 50% starters isn't bad.

For 2016 I think you can give credit for Whitehair. I don't see any reason not to think he'd be as good at guard. Floyd has shown enough promise as a rookie and Howard had a brilliant year. Kwiatkoski had a good rookie year for a 4th rounder too. If Floyd and Kwiatkoski keep improving that's already a good draft and who knows about the others yet, you can't really judge in a year.

But free agency, he's pretty clueless.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:But free agency, he's pretty clueless.
I think you're ignoring some pretty impactful realities.

1. We are a 3 win team who has missed the playoffs in 6 straight seasons.
2. Our head coach is heading into year 3 of his contract looking like he's on his way out after this year.
3. Our QB is completely unproven Mike Glennon and is effectively on a 1-year deal.

Considering those facts, why WOULD an impact FA with lots of options sign with us?

Now you can blame Pace for picking the wrong coach or being a poor talent evaluator (you did kinda defeat that argument in your comments) or not getting us a QB, resulting with our decending to a 3 win team. But I'm not sure that the moves you wanted him to make were legitimate options he had. Pace doesn't get to sign whoever he wants to pay. It takes 2 to tango and we're the ugly duckling at the prom.

Statistically, your best bet for getting FAs is re-signing your own. Alshon went on his NFL tour, signed with Philly and never came back to even give us a chance. Now maybe that means nothing in terms of my argument. Or maybe it does. It certainly appears to. It was reported that we were in negotiations with some big name FA CBs. And they signed with better teams and/or teams with QBs. In one case (can't remember which right now) it was reported that we offered more $$$ than the player eventually signed for. And he took less $$$ to NOT sign with us. That's pretty noteworthy.

Now I'm not saying Pace is perfect or anything like that. But I think it's quite a bit more difficult for him than it is for the vast majority of other teams to sign top shelf FAs in our circumstance.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

I don't buy that Mike. The indications I saw (same as anyone else, rumour and press conferences) indicated that Pace wasn't willing to spend top dollar. Bouye went to the Jags, Wagner went to Detroit, I refuse to believe that we're so much worse than them that players won't sign with us.

Pace's problem seems to be focussing in on value for each individual player rather than the cap overall. For example, he thinks $13.5m is too much for Bouye but doesn't have a problem with spending $12m on Amukamara and Cooper.

Then we've still got Royal on the roster, along with Sutton. Get rid of those two along with Massive and you have more than enough to sign Wagner.

Our roster is chock full of middle tier and depth level talent. Adding more of the same only serves, as Wab said, to take away development time from your draft picks. Which is another confusing aspect, if Pace is so build through the draft, why do we still have Fox? I didn't the hire at the time, it made enough sense then, but after a 3-13 season it was a perfect opportunity to get a new coach with a bevvy of draft picks to work with.

There just doesn't seem to be a massively coherent plan overall.

wab
Mod

The lack of coherent plan is what bothers me beyond comprehension.
Funkster
MVP

malk wrote:I don't buy that Mike. The indications I saw (same as anyone else, rumour and press conferences) indicated that Pace wasn't willing to spend top dollar. Bouye went to the Jags, Wagner went to Detroit, I refuse to believe that we're so much worse than them that players won't sign with us.

Pace's problem seems to be focussing in on value for each individual player rather than the cap overall. For example, he thinks $13.5m is too much for Bouye but doesn't have a problem with spending $12m on Amukamara and Cooper.
I think the point you're failing to see is Pace is building this team through the draft and doesn't want to sign players to long term contracts. Here are the 3 players you mentioned contracts:

A.J. Bouye 5 year, 67.5M, 26 MG, 13.5 APY
Prince Amukamara 1 year, 7M, 7MG, 7M APY
Marcus Cooper 3 year, 16M, 8MG, 5.3 APY

You can clearly see the differences in the 3 contracts. It's not as simple as 13.5M vs. 12M. Pace is not playing money ball, he is simply filling positions of need and drafting players. This is the way to successful rebuild a team. Everyone wants the bears to draft a groom a QB, but don't see that same importance in every positions.
wab wrote:The lack of coherent plan is what bothers me beyond comprehension.
Coherent according to who? He's seems pretty consistent and logical to me.
wab
Mod

Based on this season's schedule, it doesn't matter anyway. Fox and Co will be gone, probably along with Glennon, and I'll be able to pretend this whole thing never happened.
snake95
Journeyman

With all due respect to everyone here who post solid football point of views and football acumen I'm stunned at the negativity towards Pace, and especially Glennon who hasn't even played a down yet. Every year is its own entity. I would would encourage people to let things play out and judge the product on results.
wab
Mod

snake95 wrote:I would would encourage people to let things play out and judge the product on results.
Anyone who has watched the Bears for the last 5 years will find that very difficult to do.
snake95
Journeyman

wab wrote:
snake95 wrote:I would would encourage people to let things play out and judge the product on results.
Anyone who has watched the Bears for the last 5 years will find that very difficult to do.
I feel the pessimism....However...going into year 3 with a coaching/GM/QB turnover, I guess I just don't see where Pace has sabatoged the team the way others do. I see quite a few solid pieces in place and a pretty stout defense on the upswing, and a team that were suprinsingly in games last year with a pre-season roster. I'll hold my water
G08
Hall of Famer

I feel like I'm burnt out from all this stuff... normally draft week is one of my happier weeks and I feel like Thursday's going to get here and I'm going to go "meh".

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I feel like I'm burnt out from all this stuff... normally draft week is one of my happier weeks and I feel like Thursday's going to get here and I'm going to go "meh".
I'll text you and we can hate everything together.
wab
Mod

snake95 wrote:
wab wrote:
I feel the pessimism....However...going into year 3 with a coaching/GM/QB turnover, I guess I just don't see where Pace has sabatoged the team the way others do. I see quite a few solid pieces in place and a pretty stout defense on the upswing, and a team that were suprinsingly in games last year with a pre-season roster. I'll hold my water
I wouldn't say that he's sabotaged it. I don't think any of it is intentional. I think he's a young GM that is still learning how to do his job. I think he's panicked a few times and made some questionable moves.
Funkster
MVP

snake95 wrote:
wab wrote:
Couldn't agree more!
G08 wrote:I feel like I'm burnt out from all this stuff... normally draft week is one of my happier weeks and I feel like Thursday's going to get here and I'm going to go "meh".
The way I see it, this draft could be pretty exciting! The impact of this draft has huge implications of how the team will look in the near future. I would be happy with either of these 5 players if selected at 3.

Allen
Garrett
Hooker
Mahomes
Solomon

One of my favorite quotes "many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Hang in there guys, building something from the ground up takes time. I believe the bears are close to success and we'll get a glimpse of what's in store this season.
wab
Mod

I guess I just refuse to look at this team through rose colored glasses any longer. Until they prove that they aren't garbage, I'll continue to assume they are.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hard not to look at this team/organization any other way when you have endured more losing seasons than winning ones. While others may look at the potential of some players and how well they played the year before, my Bearsness makes me look at it this way, "there is no way that player can have 2 good years in a row." Also I take into account there are going to me major injuries, the Bears don't disappoint in this area. I don't look at what is on paper, I look at what is actually on the field, where it counts. Right now I am seeing a below avg team.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I'll text you and we can hate everything together.
:lol: still reminds me of me depressed at a bar after our pick and us texting back and forth about how much we hate Leonard Floyd and Ryan Pace :lol:

G08
Hall of Famer

I have no emotional attachment to this roster anymore. They gutted a WR who I loved during the draft process (Alshon), a RB who I loved during the draft process (Forte), the best QB in Chicago Bears history (Cutler) and we philosophically are trying to do what worked in the 80s and 90s instead of 2017.

I hope something changes but... man... I haven't felt this apathetic about the Bears maybe ever.

wab
Mod

I still don't think Floyd will ever be more than a situational player...assuming he can stay healthy.

I think that's why I have taken the Glennon signing so hard (and so personal) because with Watson (or Biscuits or Mahomes) there would have at least been a player I could get behind.

I mean is an aged, injured, and possibly declining RG really my favorite player? A RG...is what gets me to tune in.