30-Day challenge: Changing one moment in Bears history

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

30-Day challenge: Changing one moment in Bears history
There’s a simple concept that too many coaches in professional football don’t understand. Instead of tailoring an offensive or defensive scheme to put a talented player to good use as best as possible, some coaches will instead elect to fit a square peg into a round hole and push said talent into unnecessary as well as complicated constraints so that they never reach their potential.

In the case of the “mad genius” Mike Martz - the famed architect of the St. Louis Rams’ late 1990’s “Greatest Show On Turf” offense - and former now much maligned Chicago Bears offensive coordinator, it was about throwing away the round hole altogether and smashing it into unrecognizable pieces.

Yes, we’re discussing the infamous Greg Olsen trade to the Carolina Panthers because the extremely gifted Olsen “didn’t fit” Martz’s offense as a tight end. A trade in which people in Chicago are so kindly reminded of every time Olsen catches another 75-plus passes, or makes a ridiculous touchdown reception, or makes another Pro Bowl slash All-Pro team.

Trading away a bright, rising star as Olsen makes little sense on it’s own even without considering any other context.

When you consider that the Bears jettisoned their best pass catcher when he was just 26-years-old in 2011 - one of the best young tight ends in the NFL - because their offensive coordinator didn’t believe they could effectively deploy Olsen in his archaic system, this deal becomes all the more worse in hindsight.

Before the Bears dealt Olsen, he hadn’t yet reached his true potential, of course. In the Bears offense, where quarterback Jay Cutler was often sacked an immeasurable amount of times with set limitations because of a poor offensive line, it took time for Olsen to round into form without opportunity. The most amount of passes he ever caught with Chicago was 60 receptions in 2009, not by coincidence Cutler’s first season with the Bears.

The next year, when Martz hopped on board, somehow the Bears began phasing out their best receiver as his numbers dropped to a still effective but now paltry in comparison, 45 receptions for 540 yards, and five touchdowns. No one knew it then, but the last touchdown Olsen would ever catch with the Bears was the opening salvo of Chicago’s comfortable 35-24 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in the 2011 Divisional Playoffs.

Ever since the Bears lost one of the best security blankets in football, Olsen has in turn become that superstar level player for the Panthers’ Cam Newton. It’s rare the season now where the 32-year-old doesn’t catch at least 80 passes, garner 1,000 yards, and find his way consistently into the end zone as the dynamic red zone threat he is.

In essence, Olsen has become the player the Bears originally envisioned when selecting him with the 31st overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. By happen stance, none of his best ever came with the Bears because of a coach’s over thinking and quite frankly, sheer arrogance.
if you didn't hate Mike Martz before, you should after reading that

so that is what the author of the story would change ... and the question to us is :

What moment in Bears history would you amend?

and let me tell you, as a long long suffering Bears fan, there seems to be an infinite array of options to choose from for this

I will go with one of the reasonably recent that has always stuck in my craw - last game of the regular season of 2010, in Lambeau, against the goddam Packers

What was at stake? Bears had already clinched the NFC North. But, winning this game would have eliminated the Packers from the playoffs. If ever there was a game a team should have been up for, THIS should have been it. Instead, the Bears played a half assed disorganized game, where the defense held court, but the offense simply didn't want to play. Maybe it was too cold for them? Or maybe they simply were a gutless bunch of shit eating cowards rather than the potential heroes we looked upon them as? In either case, the Bears lost 10-3 and the Packers thanked them by showing up in Chicago a few weeks later to beat them for the NFC Championship (and then of course went on to win the Super Bowl).

So that's what I would change. That game. Have the offense take care of business. Maybe the Bears still wouldn't have gone to the Super Bowl that season, but it wouldn't have been the goddam Packers eliminating them. And it wouldn't have been the Packers hoisting the Super Bowl trophy.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I would change the outcome of the drive in Super Bowl XLI where it was 22-17 Colts and the Bears had the ball and were somewhat driving the ball late in the 4th quarter. Instead of a prayer that Grossman threw up for grabs which eventually got picked by Hayden who returned it for a TD, I'd like the Bears to have drove all the way down and scored with a few seconds left - leaving no time for Peyton Manning heroics to come back, enabling us to win that Super Bowl.
Never Die Easy
LacertineForest
MVP

The McMahon injury, SB XLI outcome (I like Superfan's scenario), 2010 NFC Championship game all immediately come to mind. Maybe something more overarching like the McCaskey's gaining ownership over the team after Halas died.

I just want to watch my favorite team be consistently good over a sustained period of time. I haven't seen that in my entire life (was pretty young during the 80's).
wab
Mod

DaSuperfan wrote:I would change the outcome of the drive in Super Bowl XLI where it was 22-17 Colts and the Bears had the ball and were somewhat driving the ball late in the 4th quarter. Instead of a prayer that Grossman threw up for grabs which eventually got picked by Hayden who returned it for a TD, I'd like the Bears to have drove all the way down and scored with a few seconds left - leaving no time for Peyton Manning heroics to come back, enabling us to win that Super Bowl.
I'd say this would be mine too.

I won't get into the draft, because there's about 100 things I'd change since 2006.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'd probably go with letting Finks pick his own coach back in 82(?)

If he hadn't quit, the Bears would have had multiple trophies and been a powerhouse for another decade.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I will go with one of the reasonably recent that has always stuck in my craw - last game of the regular season of 2010, in Lambeau, against the goddam Packers

What was at stake? Bears had already clinched the NFC North. But, winning this game would have eliminated the Packers from the playoffs. If ever there was a game a team should have been up for, THIS should have been it. Instead, the Bears played a half assed disorganized game, where the defense held court, but the offense simply didn't want to play. Maybe it was too cold for them? Or maybe they simply were a gutless bunch of shit eating cowards rather than the potential heroes we looked upon them as? In either case, the Bears lost 10-3 and the Packers thanked them by showing up in Chicago a few weeks later to beat them for the NFC Championship (and then of course went on to win the Super Bowl).

So that's what I would change. That game. Have the offense take care of business. Maybe the Bears still wouldn't have gone to the Super Bowl that season, but it wouldn't have been the goddam Packers eliminating them. And it wouldn't have been the Packers hoisting the Super Bowl trophy.
When I read this thread title, 2010 was the first thing that came to my mind. Not Super Bowl 41. But 2010.

But I wouldn't change the outcome of the week 17 Bears at Packers game. I'd change the outcome of the NFC Title Packers at Bears game. Oh, how sweet that would've felt. Beating the Packers to get to the Super Bowl. Beating the Packers with a revenge factor following the regular season finale just a few weeks prior.

I haven't been a Bears fan as long as my dad or others, so I haven't endured as much. But if there's one moment I haven't gotten, and will probably never, get over is the Green Bay Packers winning the George S. Halas trophy on the turf of Soldier Field. With hindsight being 20-20, I don't give a rats ass if the Bears went on to lose the Super Bowl to the Steelers that year as long as it meant the Packers not being there.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:I haven't been a Bears fan as long as my dad or others, so I haven't endured as much. But if there's one moment I haven't gotten, and will probably never, get over is the Green Bay Packers winning the George S. Halas trophy on the turf of Soldier Field.
I turned the game off as soon as it was over because no way was I going to watch their celebration on the Bears field

RING4CHI wrote:With hindsight being 20-20, I don't give a rats ass if the Bears went on to lose the Super Bowl to the Steelers that year as long as it meant the Packers not being there.
that was why I chose the last game of the regular season ... eliminate them there so they didn't even make the playoffs
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

Hated dropping him when it happened. I remember people arguing it just had to happen, he didn't fit the system and blah blah blah, and I just remember thinking how SPECIAL players aren't easy to find and this guy WAS SPECIAL, that's bigger than any system. No sense in crying over spilled milk now though, it's done.