Evaluation of the Defensive Line

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Should the Bears re-sign Akiem Hicks next year?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 6
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

As the Bears transitioned to a 3-4 defense under Vic Fangio, the personal really wasn't there. That being said, I think they did fairly well for themselves, considering the D-Line has been a revolving door, and not just because of rotation. Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton are promising talents, but they really don't fit our current scheme. The Bears have relied on free agency to put together our make-shift line. Over the last two years, names like D’Anthony Smith, Brandon Dunn, Bruce Gaston, Jarvis Jenkins, and CJ Wilson have played along our line, and to no ones surprise, they’ve had no staying power. It’s gotten noticeably better this year, but some more scheme-fitting players could definitely be added.

Man In The Middle: The “rock” has been Nose Tackle Eddie Goldman who, unfortunately, this year never fully recovered from his leg injury he got from being rolled up on in week 2 against Philly. He’s talented, super athletic, a great charismatic locker room guy, and a true “building block” for our defensive future. He had 4.5 sacks as a rookie, including 2 in San Francisco, and 2.5 this year, despite his injury. Subsequently, he’s by far the best player from Ryan Pace’s first draft as GM, and he’s in line for a hefty contract in a couple years since he was a second round pick and isn't eligible for a fifth-year option. We do need a solid back-up for him, though.

Akiem Hicks: Signed this past year, Hicks was a big deal this offseason. Drafted by the Saints, and then traded to the Patriots, he’s having his best pro year by far. Coming to Chicago with 9 sacks in the bank, Hicks has 7 sacks this year alone, his first of his two-year contract. A gentle-giant type, I think he's working great with Vig Fangio, and if some solid depth is put in place behind him, he could be signed long term.

Mitch Unrein: Sucks.

Cornelius Washington: A sixth round pick in 2013, he never had amazing numbers, but he has tremendous upside. Despite never starting at Georgia, he had a lightning first step, uncanny strength for his size, and quick hands. At 6’5” 260 lbs, he played defensive end for two years, for a hopefully-forgotten Mel Tucker. Then Vic Fangio took over, they asked him to add 20-25 pounds to stay on the defensive line. He did just that, playing very well, before losing his 2015 season to a preseason injury. He’s set to be a free agent in March, but he should be able to be re-signed really cheap.

Jonathan Bullard: I was VERY high on this guy. I was hoping he’d be our second round pick, but when we took Whitehair, I thought he was as good as gone. When he was announced in the third round, I didn't even realize he was still available. He was a “tweener” prospect, and apparently being able to play more than one position lowers your stock. Speed is very-much his friend, and hopefully he and Cornelius will rotate on one side and Akiem will rotate with another power-rusher next year on the other.

Next is Outside Linebackers...