Update: Patriots not trading Garoppolo

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots , according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.

The Dallas Cowboys will listen to offers for Tony Romo , sources said, once owner Jerry Jones has his meeting with the Pro Bowl quarterback. Romo prefers to be moved to a contending team -- specifically, the Houston Texans , Arizona Cardinals , Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs . The Buffalo Bills also have significant interest in Romo, team and league sources said, though they realize that it might be a tough sell. The Bills have not given up hope on retaining Tyrod Taylor on a lesser contract, too, though that may be wishful thinking on their part at this point.

Many teams view Garoppolo as the best option of all potential free-agent or trade targets, and the Bears will have competition. Teams like the Cleveland Browns , New York Jets and 49ers could provide opposition, but the Bears' intent and willingness to complete a trade could not be more serious.

Quarterback is an acute need -- the Bears are moving on from Jay Cutler -- and jobs are on the line there after two poor seasons from the John Fox and Ryan Pace regime. The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere.

The Bears have done extensive work on Garoppolo and are very comfortable with him. He shined in the preseason and was exceptional filling in for Tom Brady during his four-game suspension and has strong roots to that community. He played at Eastern Illinois, where Pace played as well. Romo, Mike Shanahan and New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton are also Eastern Illinois products; Pace and Payton worked together in New Orleans and were very high on Garoppolo coming out of college.

The Bears are prepared to engage in talks on Garoppolo at the combine later this month, or sooner if need be. Trades cannot be officially consummated, however, until the league year begins in March. The Bears acknowledge it will be difficult to land much of anything for Cutler, with other teams preferring to not trade for him and instead wait for him to be cut to then sign him to a cheaper contract, though a suitor could emerge.

The Jets have strong evaluations on Garoppolo, but realize it's virtually certain Bill Belichick would not trade the prized young passer within the division. The 49ers are very high on the Washington Redskins ' Kirk Cousins , sources continue to maintain, but Washington will franchise the impending free agent quarterback and is prepared to engage in talks in a lucrative long-term deal with him. It would take a huge haul of picks to pry Cousins away, and new 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, who along with his dad drafted Cousins in Washington, has a ravaged roster with needs at every position. Paying that kind of draft pick price could be prohibitive. The Bears also have done significant work on Cousins, but with the Redskins going to franchise him and that process playing out perhaps throughout the offseason, the timing may not work out and this team can't afford to be left without a seat in these musical quarterback chairs.

The Browns have stockpiled draft picks (again) and will explore multiple quarterback options, and they and the Jets are highly intrigued by North Carolina Tar Heels quarterback Mitch Trubisky , as we first reported months ago. Texans coach Bill O'Brien is a big believer in Garoppolo as well, but he is stuck with Brock Osweiler 's salary for another year, and he is planning on giving Tom Savage every opportunity to win that starting job, sources said. Ownership has already declared the need to draft a quarterback.

Romo's market will be robust as well. The Chiefs have to make a determination on whether he, or any other option, would give them a better opportunity to win a Super Bowl than Alex Smith does. Smith has already played out the guaranteed portion of his contract. If so, Smith would be a trade-worthy commodity as well. While some reported the Cowboys may just let Romo walk, the demand for him should be such that Jerry Jones gets a strong return on his investment. Some GMs opined that the Cowboys would get a second-round pick, plus potentially another high pick based on Romo's playing time (injuries have dogged him in recent years).

The Broncos are likely inclined to give Paxton Lynch , their first-round pick in 2016, every chance to take the starting reigns there, so a trade might not match up. Fitting Romo under the salary cap with Osweiler would be a challenge for the Texans. If Carson Palmer retires, Romo could be an option, and sources said the Cardinals are very high on Clemson Tigers quarterback Deshaun Watson and could be prepared to trade up to land him this spring. If the Cardinals determine Watson is out of their reach, Tyrod Taylor is very appealing to Arizona and would be a great fit in Bruce Arians' scheme.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup quarterback Mike Glennon is viewed as the best of the free agent quarterbacks set to hit the market, and his market will further come into focus after the chase for Garoppolo and Romo concludes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here- ... b-shuffle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

If the Bears give away the 3rd goddamn pick in the draft for Gary (his name is stupid and I don't like typing it, so he's Gary from here on out)...anyway if they trade the 3rd pick for him, I'm driving to halas hall and slapping Ryan Pace with the limp body of Rick Mirer.
UOK
Site Admin

Doesn't make it sound like it'd be for the 3rd overall. Bears would have to likely package something like:

2017 2nd
2017 4th
2018 2nd
2018 4th

I think that would be acceptable, since the Browns will be offering something in the zone of a 12th overall pick and then some. Bears being in the NFC gives them leverage, also.
dollamillionz
Rookie

Yo I hope and pray this is just a classic Pace smokejob because getting Patriots sloppy seconds is about as smart as @bearsausage77 when his head hits the Mat too many times, msayin?
Last edited by dollamillionz on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

This type of situation NEVER works unless you are Steve Young or Brett Favre.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

La-La Land La Canfora wrote:The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots , according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.
there is absolutely no way I agree getting Garoppolo is the Bears top off season priority and I fully expect once he goes to his new team he will be Matt Cassell at best

maybe I'm wrong, but history shows that once Belichick is ready to part ways with you, you don't have much real value to anyone else ... but somebody will pay the Patriots a nice bounty to find out for themselves

I just don't want that somebody to be the Bears
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I just hate this stuff. Why give away draft collateral for a guy that the other team doesn't want? Brady is like 40. If the Pats were so high on him, they'd groom him to take over eventually. Jacoby Brissett. isn't going to be that guy.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm glad La Canfora is reporting this because now I know it won't happen.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I'm glad La Canfora is reporting this because now I know it won't happen.
I sure hope you're right. It brings back Rick Mirer flashbacks and I'll not even watch next year. It's like has no one ever seen what an ex patriot qb has done outside that system?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I'm glad La Canfora is reporting this because now I know it won't happen.
Truth. Practically guaranteed to be false now.

Jimmy G would stay in New England if Bellichek thought he was worth keeping in New England.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
G08
Hall of Famer

I think it's a very lazy EIU connection. This is a pretty deep draft, why are we giving away multiple picks for a QB who has never played in our system and is basically guaranteed a big contract in 2018?

That's just stupid to me, I'm sorry.

Watson or Trubisky/Marcus Williams/Corner sounds better to me than Jimmy G and Jonathan Allen.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Pick 36 = 540

Pick 67 = 255

Pick 100 = 100

Pick 106 = 82

Theoretically, a "first and a fourth" could equal picks 36, 100, and 106.

So we'd be left with pick #3, #67, #131 and #193

So Jimmy Garoppolo, Jamal Adams, some CB, perhaps Jeremy Sprinkle and an OT

wab
Mod

I mean, the only way I think trading for JG makes any sense is if the Bears think that Watson/Trubisky are going 1-2. I don't see how either of the two make it out of the top 10 and the Browns may be left holding the bag at 12.

In that case, hell yes...I'd be happy with Garrett/Garappolo.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I mean, the only way I think trading for JG makes any sense is if the Bears think that Watson/Trubisky are going 1-2.
Unless they have a higher grade on Garoppolo, but what on Earth would make them have that considering the dude went in the bottom of round 2? He's got, what, 94 career passing attempts?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I know everyone hates this idea, but I have said for a while this is plan A for the Bears. Depending on the cost it is probably the smartest too.

I am not a big Jimmy fan. However the talk of him not being graded at the top of this draft class is not accurate. First of all the qbs in this class are over valued. Second we have actually seen Jimmy against NFL talent. Granted be team a controlled system, with half field reads, and predetermined throws. Third his physical skill set is on par with anyone in this class with probably the best mechanics.

Personally I won't be stoked if they get Jimmy especially because I expect the cost to be high. For Pace though its probably the safest play while maintaining a high reward.
wab
Mod

It's risky, because anything less than the playoffs with this kind of move is going to cost someone their job. A rookie buys everyone 3 years.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I know everyone hates this idea, but I have said for a while this is plan A for the Bears. Depending on the cost it is probably the smartest too.

I am not a big Jimmy fan. However the talk of him not being graded at the top of this draft class is not accurate. First of all the qbs in this class are over valued. Second we have actually seen Jimmy against NFL talent. Granted be team a controlled system, with half field reads, and predetermined throws. Third his physical skill set is on par with anyone in this class with probably the best mechanics.

Personally I won't be stoked if they get Jimmy especially because I expect the cost to be high. For Pace though its probably the safest play while maintaining a high reward.
I could find a way to talk myself into it... I would probably like it even more if it meant *gulp* Josh McDaniels was our head coach in 2018 *vomits*

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I'm not even going to count trading Mike Ditka for Jack Concannon. The following acquisitions come to mind, Mike Phipps, Rick Mirer, and Jay Cutler. What is the definition of insanity? I hope this is just another phony story from our sports media.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:It's risky, because anything less than the playoffs with this kind of move is going to cost someone their job. A rookie buys everyone 3 years.
Maybe... I don't really agree though.
WagonForce
MVP

Please no.
BearDen
Journeyman

/thread
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Makes no sense to trade away picks and give a bunch of money to an unproven commodity when you can basically draft your own unproven commodity, pay less and keep your picks. Hope to God this isn't true.
Never Die Easy
jedihamster
Rookie

I think if we can get for reasonable trade fiend but he is not worth first round pick at all
UOK
Site Admin

Thoughts on this deal:

BEARS GET

Garoppolo
31/32 overall Rd 1

PATRIOTS GET

3 overall Rd 1
Middleguard
MVP

UOK wrote:Thoughts on this deal:

BEARS GET

Garoppolo
31/32 overall Rd 1

PATRIOTS GET

3 overall Rd 1
Are we looking at JG as a 1yr bridge to a better year for drafting a QB? Or what will it cost to franchise him in 18?
UOK
Site Admin

Middleguard wrote:

BEARS GET

Garoppolo
31/32 overall Rd 1

PATRIOTS GET

3 overall Rd 1
Are we looking at JG as a 1yr bridge to a better year for drafting a QB? Or what will it cost to franchise him in 18?
If you trade for JG you lock him up to a multi-year deal as soon as you acquire him.

I don't think you even consider letting him play out his deal or consider franchising him. You get a deal done in the first week he's a Bear. You don't deal these kind of picks for a bridge.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

BEARS GET

Garoppolo
31/32 overall Rd 1

PATRIOTS GET

3 overall Rd 1
I would do it.
G08
Hall of Famer

BEARS GET

Garoppolo
31/32 overall Rd 1

PATRIOTS GET

3 overall Rd 1
31/32 to 3 equals the #6 overall pick I think.

So, no, I wouldn't do that. If I'm getting Jimmy G then I want Jamal Adams or Jonathan Allen at #3.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:

BEARS GET

Garoppolo
31/32 overall Rd 1

PATRIOTS GET

3 overall Rd 1
31/32 to 3 equals the #6 overall pick I think.

So, no, I wouldn't do that. If I'm getting Jimmy G then I want Jamal Adams or Jonathan Allen at #3.
I feel like you're not seeing things from Pace's perspective. I respect that if we're looking at this through GM G08's eyes, you'd be firm to your value and your board, but I'm not sure if Pace has that kind of time.

Sometimes as a GM you just have to go for it, and if his resolute enough in JG to swing a deal for him AND get a 1st rd pick back in that deal, you shake hands, especially considering the Browns will no doubt offer at least their 12ovr & a sexy package of picks to the Pats and they WOULDN'T have to deal their late 1st rounder.