Update: Patriots not trading Garoppolo

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

RichH55 wrote:[However......Why isn't the a middle ground? Bellichick doesn't need to think Jimmy G is bad to favor Brady over him. He could think Jimmy G. is maybe a top 10 QB...maybe even better....but that's not Brady good even at age 39.
I believe people are basing their opinions off past history. Historically Pats QB cast aways haven't panned out. If you watch JG college film and his film from last season, you can see big mechanical improvements. His release is much faster as well. He spreads the ball around well and can work a pocket well and has the ability to run if need be. I would say his knocks would be lack of NFL reps and he appears on the 6'1 side of 6'2. I could see him garnering a second and a fourth round pick. He is definitely more NFL ready than any QB in this draft.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

bearsfaninaz wrote:I just don't see Fox going for Kaepernick with his dad's military record.
I don't want to get into the political side of the the argument, especially since we put a stop to it. However, I remember reading an article during the season where Fox came out strongly against Kaepernick not standing for the anthem. While he has the same right to disagree as Kaepernick does to do it, Fox isn't going to go for acquiring him.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Funkster wrote:
I believe people are basing their opinions off past history. Historically Pats QB cast aways haven't panned out. If you watch JG college film and his film from last season, you can see big mechanical improvements. His release is much faster as well. He spreads the ball around well and can work a pocket well and has the ability to run if need be. I would say his knocks would be lack of NFL reps and he appears on the 6'1 side of 6'2. I could see him garnering a second and a fourth round pick. He is definitely more NFL ready than any QB in this draft.
I agree that history is a part of it. I look at it as what you think JG can be vs. the cost. If you think he's a top 10 QB then he's worth whatever it takes. If you think he's got a higher floor but lower ceiling than Watson or whomever else you want to put out there for comparison he's only worth considering if the cost is reasonable.

My hesitation is I think we are still lacking in so many areas it might not make a difference either way. I look at it as does anyone think Prescott would be a QB of the future type if he played this season with the Browns?
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Funkster
MVP

I think hoping for a top 10 QB is wishful thinking. The basic numbers of teams shows how hard it is to find a top 10 QB. I believe with the system Loggains runs, the bears don't really need a top 10 QB. IMO, they need a starting QB that gets rid of the ball fast, can spread the ball around and when needs be, stretch the field. Most of all, they need a QB that can finish season after season.

I don't think the bears are that far off. QB, pass rusher, CB and safety. They can realistically fill all those position via draft and free agency this off season.

I don't think for a second Prescott would have had the season he had if he was on the browns. The cowboys had all the pieces for a back up to step in and take over. Arguably the best O-line, running back and solid receiving corps.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
SC Bear
Journeyman

The issue to me is what the cost of JG will be over the next 5 years compared to the cost of a drafted qb. I project it to be between 75-100 million over the cost of the draftee. I remain concerned about JG's lack of experience and he very well could be injury prone. If it was my money the chance of JG being the one is not worth trading for him versus drafting a qb this year and additional years if necessary. None of them are a sure thing.
Funkster
MVP

IMO, the bears have one thing on their side. The Osweiler mega deal will have every GM in the league proceeding with caution on these unproven QB's. IMO, I don't think JG gets anywhere close to what Osweiler got!
UOK
Site Admin

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/2 ... garoppolo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want to be clear about what I’m being told: They believe several teams are preparing to make blockbuster offers for Garoppolo. I’m not saying it will happen. I’m saying this is the belief of some around football. They think a draft shakeup is coming and that it will involve Garoppolo.

- Mike Freeman
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/2 ... garoppolo/

I want to be clear about what I’m being told: They believe several teams are preparing to make blockbuster offers for Garoppolo. I’m not saying it will happen. I’m saying this is the belief of some around football. They think a draft shakeup is coming and that it will involve Garoppolo.

- Mike Freeman
G08
Hall of Famer

Albright is saying he hears it's Bears or Browns from an NFL source.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Albright is saying he hears it's Bears or Browns from an NFL source.
Watch the Browns just up and give them the #1 pick for him. Would it really surprise anyone? The Pats need a pass rusher in the worst way (why they traded Jones I'll never understand) and I don't think the Browns really want to take Garrett.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
Watch the Browns just up and give them the #1 pick for him. Would it really surprise anyone? The Pats need a pass rusher in the worst way (why they traded Jones I'll never understand) and I don't think the Browns really want to take Garrett.
I think ultimately and very sadly that's what it's going to take. The top of this year's draft class is so, SO milky that drafting from 15 is essentially the same as drafting 1-3. The talent isn't BAD, it's just not top heavy. In my eyes, anyway. A lot of great cornerbacks and safeties will come out of this draft, but none of them are world-breakers right now.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
eh, if the browns gave them the 1st pick, they'd better get the pat's 32nd pick along with gary. that would be alittle embarrassing otherwise.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
the Browns are certainly in the prime seat to make a deal and Belichick would eat that up

RustyTrombone wrote:eh, if the browns gave them the 1st pick, they'd better get the pat's 32nd pick along with gary. that would be alittle embarrassing otherwise.
well, they are the Browns ... and they would still have the #12 pick in their pocket
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think the Browns will weigh getting Garoppolo at #1 and the next best defender at #12 vs getting Garrett (who I don't even think is as good of a prospect as Bosa was last year) and whatever QB is left.

Maybe the Browns get the Pats 2nd rounder too.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've heard that the Browns loveeeeee Myles Garrett
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I've heard that the Browns loveeeeee Myles Garrett
I dunno man. I just don't have a great feeling about him. I think he's a top 8 pick for sure, but if he was in last year's draft, I don't think he would have gone before Bosa.
Adipost
MVP

Is it just coincidence that the reports of Cutler being traded come at about the same time as this imminent Garoppolo deal?
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:Is it just coincidence that the reports of Cutler being traded come at about the same time as this imminent Garoppolo deal?

No it's not! But not because of black helicopters or chemtrails.

It's because the league year begins within a week and this is typically the time that teams actually work out trades, cuts, and deals for day 1. They simply formally announce these on/around March 9th when the league year actually begins.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:
Adipost wrote:Is it just coincidence that the reports of Cutler being traded come at about the same time as this imminent Garoppolo deal?

No it's not! But not because of black helicopters or chemtrails.

It's because the league year begins within a week and this is typically the time that teams actually work out trades, cuts, and deals for day 1. They simply formally announce these on/around March 9th when the league year actually begins.
LOL. Don't be so naive.

[video][/video]
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dang, wouldnt it be crazy if gary's agent had some incentive to put information out like this?
IotaNet
MVP

Saw a Garoppolo mock draft I could live with

Bears trade the 3rd pick for a later first rounder , a 2nd rounder, a 3rd, and a 5th
they take the best defensive player available in the first round (preferably a d-back)
They send their original 2nd rounder (36) to NE for Garoppolo
Take the Best defensive player available with the new 2nd (preferably a d-back)
Continue from there.

I might even be willing to throw in a 4th rounder (we have two) to NE.

I could live with this scenario quite easily.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

not sure New England would even consider that since they seem adamant in wanting a first rounder for Jimmy G
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think it's the #1 pick or nothing for Jimmy. Cleveland may just be crazy enough to do it.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote:I think it's the #1 pick or nothing for Jimmy. Cleveland may just be crazy enough to do it.
I don't think so -- I believe that New England is just chumming the waters and getting everyone all excited.

Folks look at Bill Belichek like he is some kind of negotiating genius who will magically "fleece" anyone who deals with him. Dude is a man like anyone else and when Pace or Sashi Brown tell him to go pound sand about a #1 pick, he will talk turkey just like anyone else.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

IotaNet wrote:
wab wrote:I think it's the #1 pick or nothing for Jimmy. Cleveland may just be crazy enough to do it.
I don't think so -- I believe that New England is just chumming the waters and getting everyone all excited.

Folks look at Bill Belichek like he is some kind of negotiating genius who will magically "fleece" anyone who deals with him. Dude is a man like anyone else and when Pace or Sashi Brown tell him to go pound sand about a #1 pick, he will talk turkey just like anyone else.
I just mean that the Pats will be perfectly content to hang onto him unless they get the pick they want.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

I just mean that the Pats will be perfectly content to hang onto him unless they get the pick they want.
I think so as well. Belichick will wait it out as long as he has to to get his price.
IotaNet
MVP

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

I think so as well. Belichick will wait it out as long as he has to to get his price.
Trouble is, Garoppolo's contract expires next year and he becomes a free agent. He can then walk with no compensation to NE and I'm sure they don't want that. I think they want to get SOME value for their investment from him.

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

IotaNet wrote:
Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

Trouble is, Garoppolo's contract expires next year and he becomes a free agent. He can then walk with no compensation to NE and I'm sure they don't want that. I think they want to get SOME value for their investment from him.
I think they'd be content to franchise him and trade him. A lot of this really depends on how they feel about Brissett.

Again, with Tom Brady being 40 years old, it's just a little concerning that they are so eager to get rid of Garoppolo.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Again, with Tom Brady being 40 years old, it's just a little concerning that they are so eager to get rid of Garoppolo.
This is what I have been saying, if he were their true long term heir, they would be requesting multiple first round picks for him, or he wouldn't be on the market at all.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Tom Brady's age isn't the issue. Garoppolo's contract is the issue. Unless Brady promised to retire in 2017, then you could keep Garoppolo. If he plays any longer then 1 year then you lose Garoppolo.

Its very simple. Brady is not retiring next year. Jimmy will not be affordable after this year.

A^2+B^2= Try to Trade