Biggs: Bears decade of decline - great read.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has to be viewed on their page, because it shows visually in charts how the Bears have wasted away over the years and gotten to this point, primarily via the draft.
wab
Mod

I'm not even clicking it because I don't want to be reminded.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

:frustrated: OMG!!

Just looking at some names: Dan Bazuin, Michael Okwo, Chris Williams, Jarron Gilbert (Mr Pool Jumperr), Gabe Carimi, Shea, the entire 2014 draft.

Wow, just wow. Big hill to climb and it is muddy and the Bears are bare footed right now.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Outside of very few draft picks actually working out Urlacher (by accident imo i think he was going after Burress) and M. Brown i can't think of a good draft pick in Angelo Emery drafts. Can argue Hester but just as returner.
malk
Head Coach

Has anyone done any analysis of the drafts of good teams? Is the hit ratio significantly higher, the star ratio?

I suspect it's more about finding a better than average QB but it'd be interesting to check.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

bearsfaninaz wrote:Outside of very few draft picks actually working out Urlacher (by accident imo i think he was going after Burress) and M. Brown i can't think of a good draft pick in Angelo Emery drafts. Can argue Hester but just as returner.
That's just not true. Angelo built that SB team on mid round gems. Problem came when Lovie started getting personnel power.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

wab wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:Outside of very few draft picks actually working out Urlacher (by accident imo i think he was going after Burress) and M. Brown i can't think of a good draft pick in Angelo Emery drafts. Can argue Hester but just as returner.
That's just not true. Angelo built that SB team on mid round gems. Problem came when Lovie started getting personnel power.
Somehow i forgot about peanut Tillman and lance Briggs. What other gems are you talking about?
Adipost
MVP

Tommie Harris was great until his injury.
Adipost
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote:
wab wrote:
Somehow i forgot about peanut Tillman and lance Briggs. What other gems are you talking about?
For that super bowl team off the top of my head

- Nathan Vasher
- Mark Anderson
- Daniel Manning
- Devin Hester
- Alex Brown
- Tommie Harris
- Bernard Berrian
- Tank Johnson
wab
Mod

Matt Forte...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think Okwo, Manning, and Buzz Saw were lovies picks. I also think the NT from Alabama was too.

They were able to get a couple of seasons out of some no name safeties. Mike Green, Al Afalava, major Wright, Chris Contr, Chris Harris.

They drafted a ton of corners whom played for a second, vasher, graham, roe Williams (the wrong Tuskegee corner), bowman.

Angelo had faults but he or lovie got seasons out of guys who were not exactly thought highly of.
wab
Mod

Lovie's first personnel power play was Bazuin. He wanted a Grant Wistrom type. When Lovie started to have as much or more say in the roster than JA, things went south in a hurry.

JA gets a lot of blame for busted picks where Lovie escapes it (even though he's probably more responsible).
ysleblanc
MVP

Pretty easy to see why the Bears went from the top to the bottom over the last 10 years.

It's 90% drafting. They drafted poorly and the defense went from great to the worst in the NFL in 5 years. they never replaced Brown Urlacher Briggs Harris etc

People quickly forget that Cutler might have gotten the Bears to the SB 6 years ago if not for the knee injury, after that the defense gradually got old.
wab
Mod

ysleblanc wrote:after that the defense gradually got old.
There was nothing gradual about it.
ysleblanc
MVP

wab wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:after that the defense gradually got old.
There was nothing gradual about it.

Ok but that's what dropped them from SB contender to bottom feeder.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Depressing article. I had forgotten some those bonehead moves.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox