Updated Salary Cap room

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

ysleblanc
MVP

So with the carryover...

http://overthecap.com/calculator/chicago-bears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$176M of cap space available

$122M projected(top 51).

That leaves about 45 mil towards free agents right now including 2017 draft plus cap that is usually held to start the season.

To free up more room:

Royal...5M not guaranteed, no dead money. That one is a no brainer.

Houston...7M with 2M dead money, 5M savings...that one is likely.

Cutler...16M with 2M dead money...personally I'd keep him...but the odds are he is going...14M savings.

Total savings for 2017: $24M for a total of around 79M

A few are more up in the air...

Porter...4.2M with 600k guaranteed for a 3.6 M savings. Heath is a big factor, along with the possibility of going after a younger CB as a FA(Gilmore, Amukamra, Bouye, Claiborn, Ryan, Johnson etc)

Massie...6M with 1M guaranteed...a bit more dicey, he is younger(27) than Porter, the FA class is weaker at T, plus he played much better the last 3 months.

McPhee...7.8M with 1.5 M guaranteed...a dicey one, only because it's 100% health related. If they think he can be at least 90% next year no way they cut him, but if there are lingering concerns it becomes an option, PLUS, there are some pretty good Edge guys in the draft as well as FA(Jones, Ingram, Perry). Unlikely but possible.

Unrein is another possibility at 1.15M with 150k dead money, but at that price, no point in cutting him in the off season. At worst bring him to camp and let him compete for a roster spot. Plus cap room is not what is missing.

Potenially another 8-15M available there if situations dictate it.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Porter stays only because he's a mentor/role model to these young corners. I think he's done after 2017 and it wouldn't shock me to see him come back as a DB coach.

Royal and Houston should be goners, IMO.

Cutler, well, it's just time I feel like and at minimum you can give his money to Alshon Jeffery.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

They love Porter so he's not going anywhere.
Hematite
Player of the Month

G08, it makes no sense to cut the only QB (Cutler) to pay for a WR (Jeffery) that disappeared when said QB was out. Draft a QB in rd 2, (Mahommes would be nice) and have him sit behind Cutler, resign Jeffery and draft BPA throughout. Most glaring needs will be filled in FA, pray that Fuller comes back as a man on a mission. If all else fails, hopefully we'll be near the top of the draft order next year when a better QB class comes out, if needed. Pace can then fire Fox, hire the leader of the future and draft the qb as well. This should reset the clock a couple of years for him.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:They love Porter so he's not going anywhere.
Does Pace love him? I can see his injuries beating out that love, particularly with good free agents on the market.

I really hope Houston takes a pay cut. I can't see him making much on the open market so it'd work out best for both sides. I also think he'll break out in our scheme if he can stay fit.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

I'd cut Porter in a heartbeat and start Fuller in his place next to a FA.
ysleblanc
MVP

They can love him, but I don't think they'll pay him 4.2M if his knee is still an issue. That's my point, this is what affected his play in 2016.

Same for McPhee.
ysleblanc
MVP

malk wrote:
Does Pace love him? I can see his injuries beating out that love, particularly with good free agents on the market.

I really hope Houston takes a pay cut. I can't see him making much on the open market so it'd work out best for both sides. I also think he'll break out in our scheme if he can stay fit.

I'd bring Houston back as depth for 2-3 mil, not much more, coming off another bad knee injury.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:G08, it makes no sense to cut the only QB (Cutler) to pay for a WR (Jeffery) that disappeared when said QB was out. Draft a QB in rd 2, (Mahommes would be nice) and have him sit behind Cutler, resign Jeffery and draft BPA throughout. Most glaring needs will be filled in FA, pray that Fuller comes back as a man on a mission. If all else fails, hopefully we'll be near the top of the draft order next year when a better QB class comes out, if needed. Pace can then fire Fox, hire the leader of the future and draft the qb as well. This should reset the clock a couple of years for him.
I like him but it's just time to cut that cord and move on. It's like this remaining aura of the Angelo/Lovie era that just needs to be absolved. And I say that as someone who is a big Cutler fan.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

I'd bring Houston back as depth for 2-3 mil, not much more, coming off another bad knee injury.
He's a $7m cap hit in 2017. If we cut him it's $2m in dead money plus the cost of replacement.

To get someone that can actually contribute would be what, $2m? So a cap cost of $4m including the dead money. Alternatively Houston takes a salary cut from $6m to $3m, the cap hit is the same and we get a better player (if fit) plus he gets the chance of keeping his 2018 salary.

I don't see him getting $3m in 2017 on another team when that's all Young got from us after a decent year.

I don't think it'll happen but I can't see why not.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

ysleblanc
MVP

malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

He's a $7m cap hit in 2017. If we cut him it's $2m in dead money plus the cost of replacement.

To get someone that can actually contribute would be what, $2m? So a cap cost of $4m including the dead money. Alternatively Houston takes a salary cut from $6m to $3m, the cap hit is the same and we get a better player (if fit) plus he gets the chance of keeping his 2018 salary.

I don't see him getting $3m in 2017 on another team when that's all Young got from us after a decent year.

Might be better off to go hard after Ingram, Jones or Perry and possibly cut both Houston and McPhee, especially if his knee is still balky.

Having Floyd and a star on the other side would really make an impact, plus Young is no slouch.

Improve your DB's and you have a dominant defense.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'd forgotten that we could waive McPhee at this point. I guess this is where we find out what the Bears doctors think about some of these guys regarding their long-term health.
xyt in the discord chats
malk
Head Coach

ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

Might be better off to go hard after Ingram, Jones or Perry and possibly cut both Houston and McPhee, especially if his knee is still balky.

Having Floyd and a star on the other side would really make an impact, plus Young is no slouch.

That hadn't occurred to me...

My thinking was not to get rid of McPhee as, when fit, he's one of very few impact players on our roster. Then Houston I think is a good fit for our defence and a pretty good player. So separately I didn't want to see either of them go.

But swap the pair of them for one real impact guy and don't mess up the cap. That I could get on board with! Jones would be good but I'd adore Ingram in Fangio's defence.

ysleblanc
MVP

malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

That hadn't occurred to me...

My thinking was not to get rid of McPhee as, when fit, he's one of very few impact players on our roster. Then Houston I think is a good fit for our defence and a pretty good player. So separately I didn't want to see either of them go.

But swap the pair of them for one real impact guy and don't mess up the cap. That I could get on board with! Jones would be good but I'd adore Ingram in Fangio's defence.
Plus it allows you to draft a young OLB in the draft also, very strong crop of Edge guys.

Ideally, trade back from #3 to #7-8, still get one of the safeties and add a couple of top 100 picks...then in the top 4 rounds you have 7 picks...S CB TE Edge CB QB plus slot WR or T, not necessarily in that order.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

Ingram and Jones problaby never see FA
ysleblanc
MVP

RichH55 wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

Ingram and Jones problaby never see FA
Obviously that would change things, we will know within 7-14 days.

If the Edge crop(draft and FA) stays the same, it makes it very easy to cut both McPhee and Houston and go younger/healthier in FA and draft another guy.