Updated Salary Cap room

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

ysleblanc
MVP

malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
wab wrote:They love Porter so he's not going anywhere.
Does Pace love him? I can see his injuries beating out that love, particularly with good free agents on the market.

I really hope Houston takes a pay cut. I can't see him making much on the open market so it'd work out best for both sides. I also think he'll break out in our scheme if he can stay fit.

I'd bring Houston back as depth for 2-3 mil, not much more, coming off another bad knee injury.
He's a $7m cap hit in 2017. If we cut him it's $2m in dead money plus the cost of replacement.

To get someone that can actually contribute would be what, $2m? So a cap cost of $4m including the dead money. Alternatively Houston takes a salary cut from $6m to $3m, the cap hit is the same and we get a better player (if fit) plus he gets the chance of keeping his 2018 salary.

I don't see him getting $3m in 2017 on another team when that's all Young got from us after a decent year.

I don't think it'll happen but I can't see why not.
Might be better off to go hard after Ingram, Jones or Perry and possibly cut both Houston and McPhee, especially if his knee is still balky.

Having Floyd and a star on the other side would really make an impact, plus Young is no slouch.

Improve your DB's and you have a dominant defense.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'd forgotten that we could waive McPhee at this point. I guess this is where we find out what the Bears doctors think about some of these guys regarding their long-term health.
xyt in the discord chats
malk
Head Coach

ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
Does Pace love him? I can see his injuries beating out that love, particularly with good free agents on the market.

I really hope Houston takes a pay cut. I can't see him making much on the open market so it'd work out best for both sides. I also think he'll break out in our scheme if he can stay fit.

I'd bring Houston back as depth for 2-3 mil, not much more, coming off another bad knee injury.
He's a $7m cap hit in 2017. If we cut him it's $2m in dead money plus the cost of replacement.

To get someone that can actually contribute would be what, $2m? So a cap cost of $4m including the dead money. Alternatively Houston takes a salary cut from $6m to $3m, the cap hit is the same and we get a better player (if fit) plus he gets the chance of keeping his 2018 salary.

I don't see him getting $3m in 2017 on another team when that's all Young got from us after a decent year.

Might be better off to go hard after Ingram, Jones or Perry and possibly cut both Houston and McPhee, especially if his knee is still balky.

Having Floyd and a star on the other side would really make an impact, plus Young is no slouch.

That hadn't occurred to me...

My thinking was not to get rid of McPhee as, when fit, he's one of very few impact players on our roster. Then Houston I think is a good fit for our defence and a pretty good player. So separately I didn't want to see either of them go.

But swap the pair of them for one real impact guy and don't mess up the cap. That I could get on board with! Jones would be good but I'd adore Ingram in Fangio's defence.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
ysleblanc
MVP

malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

That hadn't occurred to me...

My thinking was not to get rid of McPhee as, when fit, he's one of very few impact players on our roster. Then Houston I think is a good fit for our defence and a pretty good player. So separately I didn't want to see either of them go.

But swap the pair of them for one real impact guy and don't mess up the cap. That I could get on board with! Jones would be good but I'd adore Ingram in Fangio's defence.
Plus it allows you to draft a young OLB in the draft also, very strong crop of Edge guys.

Ideally, trade back from #3 to #7-8, still get one of the safeties and add a couple of top 100 picks...then in the top 4 rounds you have 7 picks...S CB TE Edge CB QB plus slot WR or T, not necessarily in that order.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

Ingram and Jones problaby never see FA
ysleblanc
MVP

RichH55 wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

Ingram and Jones problaby never see FA
Obviously that would change things, we will know within 7-14 days.

If the Edge crop(draft and FA) stays the same, it makes it very easy to cut both McPhee and Houston and go younger/healthier in FA and draft another guy.