ESPN: "Realistic Chance" of Tony Romo becoming a Bear

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:I actually don't dislike Peterman. He's just not Watson. He's basically a more nimble Matt Barkley with a slightly better arm.
Am I the only one who thinks Barkley > Peterman?
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:I actually don't dislike Peterman. He's just not Watson. He's basically a more nimble Matt Barkley with a slightly better arm.
Am I the only one who thinks Barkley > Peterman?
No. I think Barkley has an edge over Peterman.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:This still makes absolutely no sense. Romo has barely played in like two years. He'll get hurt 6 games in and the Bears will have to stumble through the season with Nathan Peterman or some other 4th round garbage.
What makes no sense is saying Romo makes no sense. True he hasn't played much. But, again, he's not some unproven rookie. Watch his drive vs. the eagles. That looked like 2014 Tony Romo to me. Who knows, maybe sitting out gave his body the time he needed to fully heel. Who knows, maybe being replaced and watching from the sidelines sparked a bigger fire than he already had? This guy is a winner and is clutch. He can get the ball out of his hands fast and he can spread the ball around as well as stretch the field. This guy has a brain and knows what color uniform his team is wearing. He throws TD's not INT's! If Barkley can have the bears offense looking decent, imagine what a QB like Romo could do?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:This still makes absolutely no sense. Romo has barely played in like two years. He'll get hurt 6 games in and the Bears will have to stumble through the season with Nathan Peterman or some other 4th round garbage.
What makes no sense is saying Romo makes no sense. True he hasn't played much. But, again, he's not some unproven rookie. Watch his drive vs. the eagles. That looked like 2014 Tony Romo to me. Who knows, maybe sitting out gave his body the time he needed to fully heel. Who knows, maybe being replaced and watching from the sidelines sparked a bigger fire than he already had? This guy is a winner and is clutch. He can get the ball out of his hands fast and he can spread the ball around as well as stretch the field. This guy has a brain and knows what color uniform his team is wearing. He throws TD's not INT's! If Barkley can have the bears offense looking decent, imagine what a QB like Romo could do?
So you trust Romo to stay healthy behind a line that put two QB's on IR. The same Romo that has been perpetually injured for the better part of two years?

Did everyone just forget that Romo's play nearly got Garrett fired at least twice? He was basically a more likable version of Cutler for most of his career.
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote: What makes no sense is saying Romo makes no sense. True he hasn't played much. But, again, he's not some unproven rookie. Watch his drive vs. the eagles. That looked like 2014 Tony Romo to me. Who knows, maybe sitting out gave his body the time he needed to fully heel. Who knows, maybe being replaced and watching from the sidelines sparked a bigger fire than he already had? This guy is a winner and is clutch. He can get the ball out of his hands fast and he can spread the ball around as well as stretch the field. This guy has a brain and knows what color uniform his team is wearing. He throws TD's not INT's! If Barkley can have the bears offense looking decent, imagine what a QB like Romo could do?

That cost Dallas a playoff game!

#Clutch

Lord have mercy :rofl:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I'm not going to pretend that Romo isn't a good QB. He is. He just has far too many question marks for me to want to count on him. I also think when it comes to Romo, there's an awful lot of revisionist history with him because he isn't, well, Cutler. And anyone that isn't Cutler is typically perceived to be better than they really are.

I'd wager that overall the Bears would be better off with Hoyer next season than Romo. Easier contract, similar production, less expectations.

Plus, bringing Romo in kind of flies in the face of what Pace has been saying he wants to do since the season ended.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:I'm not going to pretend that Romo isn't a good QB. He is. He just has far too many question marks for me to want to count on him. I also think when it comes to Romo, there's an awful lot of revisionist history with him because he isn't, well, Cutler. And anyone that isn't Cutler is typically perceived to be better than they really are.

I'd wager that overall the Bears would be better off with Hoyer next season than Romo. Easier contract, similar production, less expectations.

Plus, bringing Romo in kind of flies in the face of what Pace has been saying he wants to do since the season ended.
:clap:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm not going to pretend that Romo isn't a good QB. He is. He just has far too many question marks for me to want to count on him.
yeah!
like, if we were trading for romo 5 years ago? fuck yeah i'd be on board, i think most people here would be. but if you're going to throw away a ton of money at an old qb after multiple surgeries, the result better be a superbowl, and we arent quite there yet.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm not going to pretend that Romo isn't a good QB. He is. He just has far too many question marks for me to want to count on him. I also think when it comes to Romo, there's an awful lot of revisionist history with him because he isn't, well, Cutler. And anyone that isn't Cutler is typically perceived to be better than they really are.
what you said earlier applies - Romo is simply a more likeable version of Cutler ... and we should say no to both

wab wrote:I'd wager that overall the Bears would be better off with Hoyer next season than Romo. Easier contract, similar production, less expectations.
eh ... I want them to admit they are rebuilding by drafting a QB rather than continuing to plug holes as a temporary fix they hope becomes permanent ... let Hoyer go seek a place where he will be wanted for the next 3 years or more

wab wrote:Plus, bringing Romo in kind of flies in the face of what Pace has been saying he wants to do since the season ended.
I think bringing back Hoyer sends that same message, the only difference being the price tag attached
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
So you trust Romo to stay healthy behind a line that put two QB's on IR. The same Romo that has been perpetually injured for the better part of two years?

Did everyone just forget that Romo's play nearly got Garrett fired at least twice? He was basically a more likable version of Cutler for most of his career.
Yes. Combine Barkley and Hoyer we're only sacked 10 times in 416 attempts. The Bears systems and O-line are more than capable to keep Romo clean.

Romo's play led him inside the top 30 on most all time stat lines. It also led him to 4 pro bowls. I 100% disagree with Romo is a more likable version of Cutler. Cutler doesn't nearly have the body of work as Romo.

"The next two months are going to be huge for that," Pace said. "It's critical we get that right." IMO, the only way to get the QB position "right" is to bring in an established vet QB, such as Cousins or Romo, back them up with an established back up like Hoyer and draft whatever QB fits the direction the team is going.

The assumption that Romo demands some ridiculous contract is one of the few things I believe don't make any sense.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote: What makes no sense is saying Romo makes no sense. True he hasn't played much. But, again, he's not some unproven rookie. Watch his drive vs. the eagles. That looked like 2014 Tony Romo to me. Who knows, maybe sitting out gave his body the time he needed to fully heel. Who knows, maybe being replaced and watching from the sidelines sparked a bigger fire than he already had? This guy is a winner and is clutch. He can get the ball out of his hands fast and he can spread the ball around as well as stretch the field. This guy has a brain and knows what color uniform his team is wearing. He throws TD's not INT's! If Barkley can have the bears offense looking decent, imagine what a QB like Romo could do?

That cost Dallas a playoff game!

#Clutch

Lord have mercy :rofl:
Romo has a career win percentage of .614, I would consider that a winner? Cutler's is .489.
http://larrybrownsports.com/football/to ... ats/274248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

Dude started 127 games in 10 seasons and is 2-4 in the playoffs, getting bounced out in the first game twice, and only winning one game the other two times.

Not my definition of a "clutch winner"

I think of Ben Roethlisberger as a clutch winner, Tom Brady (vomit) as a clutch winner, Aaron Rodgers (double vomit) as a clutch winner, etc. One of the biggest knocks on Romo was that he shit the bed in the playoffs or in games leading up to qualifying for them. Which is not to take away from him as a QB... I always was a fan of his from afar.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think Romo is being a little dressed down by saying he is a likeable version of Cutler. This board has been pro Cutler for a while. So I think some of that talk is rose colored glasses.

The only way Romo makes sense is if you draft a young QB. The better off with Hoyer thing... It completely depends. I would rather a rookie study under Romo. You have no idea Romo's health (though I think he should retire). His cap hit shouldn't be a ton, at least I don't think it should, and couldn't they keep Hoyer too? I don't think any one rookie QB should start this season. Ever. Not even if there was a fire.

Now I just don't think it will happen, nor do I necessary want it.
G08
Hall of Famer

If Romo is cut, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires if he's cheap. I'd much prefer him to freaking Brian Hoyer.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:If Romo is cut, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires if he's cheap. I'd much prefer him to freaking Brian Hoyer.
Oh yeah a significant trade makes no logical sense.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
G08 wrote:If Romo is cut, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires if he's cheap. I'd much prefer him to freaking Brian Hoyer.
That and a trade puts us on the hook for something like $19 million. Not interested.

If he came here for a fairly cheap deal, I can't see the harm in having him in the QB room with a high draft pick. Question is, though, why would he want to come here?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

After Denver, there is really just shit options for the guy, assuming he won't go to the Texans.
Adipost
MVP

LOL at anybody trying to compare Romo to Cutler.
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:Dude started 127 games in 10 seasons and is 2-4 in the playoffs, getting bounced out in the first game twice, and only winning one game the other two times.

Not my definition of a "clutch winner" ...
This is my deal right here. Even in perfect health and under 30, he's no panacea. He simply hasn't done enough to get me excited. When you put his advanced age and brittle bones into the mix, I don't think he's worth it.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
That and a trade puts us on the hook for something like $19 million. Not interested.

If he came here for a fairly cheap deal, I can't see the harm in having him in the QB room with a high draft pick. Question is, though, why would he want to come here?
Now your starting to see the "realistic chance" and why it makes some sense!

I think you also found the bottom line question, why would he want to come to the Bears.

- Players seems to like playing for Fox.
- Very friendly QB system.
- Better than average O-line
- very strong running game
- With the signing of Jeffery a very promising WR corps
- A TE that has velcro mittens for hands

In general, a very cowboys like offense in terms of personnel.

Romo has always lacked a defense. This defense is a piece or 3 away from being a legit top unit. The bears could realistically fill those 3 pieces this off season.
IotaNet
MVP

Funkster wrote: Now your starting to see the "realistic chance" and why it makes some sense!

I think you also found the bottom line question, why would he want to come to the Bears.

- Players seems to like playing for Fox.
- Very friendly QB system.
- Better than average O-line
- very strong running game
- With the signing of Jeffery a very promising WR corps
- A TE that has velcro mittens for hands

In general, a very cowboys like offense in terms of personnel.

Romo has always lacked a defense. This defense is a piece or 3 away from being a legit top unit. The bears could realistically fill those 3 pieces this off season.
Fair enough. Your point is well made and well taken ... ONLY if we don't pay a whole lot of money for him. He's not a savior and he's not going to get us to a Super Bowl in the next 2 years but we ain't getting there that soon anyway.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

Look if we take Trubisky or Watson, I kind of want them thrown to the wolves.

Kizer or Mahomes, I want them to sit for a year.

If the latter is the move, I'd rather give 16 games to Barkley than 6 or 7 to Romo before he inevitably gets hurt.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Look if we take Trubisky or Watson, I kind of want them thrown to the wolves.

If the latter is the move, I'd rather give 16 games to Barkley than 6 or 7 to Romo before he inevitably gets hurt.
I don't think you want Trubisky starting either. Watson could, because you can tailor the offense, kind of like Wilson had his first 2 years, with ruin and pass options. Trubisky is athletic enough to do the same, but not as natural of a runner.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:Look if we take Trubisky or Watson, I kind of want them thrown to the wolves.

I feel Watson is the only QB really ready to play day 1. With that said, I'm just not a fan of his playing style or his stature accompanied by his playing style.

I would be happy with Trubisky or Mahomes.

I don't even want to see Barkley even in a bears uniform. This guy is anti everything Pace said he is looking for in a QB.

And I still believe saying Romo getting hurt is the inevitable is pure assumption. If the bears sign him I will rest easy knowing Pace has turned over ever rock he needed before he put pen to paper.
Adipost
MVP

The Chicago Bears are the best fit for Tony Romo. NFL.com gets it!

[video][/video]
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:The Chicago Bears are the best fit for Tony Romo. NFL.com gets it!

I 100% disagree.

If the Bears do decide to get him, and he actually does well and lasts for the season, I will admit I was wrong. But based on everything to be considered, I do not think Tony Romo is the best fit for the Bears.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

I like Romo..just not at his age and history..

-10* takes a brutal back side hit..he's on a wheelchair,,

Rather have Mahomes on a rook contract than a mid 30s often injured Romo..
ysleblanc
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Adipost wrote:The Chicago Bears are the best fit for Tony Romo. NFL.com gets it!

I 100% disagree.

If the Bears do decide to get him, and he actually does well and lasts for the season, I will admit I was wrong. But based on everything to be considered, I do not think Tony Romo is the best fit for the Bears.

The best fit for Romo is his sofa. He is too fragile for a 16 game NFL schedule.

Any Bears plan that includes him is a bad one.
Funkster
MVP

ysleblanc wrote: The best fit for Romo is his sofa. He is too fragile for a 16 game NFL schedule. Any Bears plan that includes him is a bad one.
And you come to this conclusion how? Let's be honest, if Dak was struggling and if the team was loosing, Romo would have been handed back his QB spot on a silver platter. He also would have most likely finished the season. Jones was put in an awkward position with the emergence of Dak. He was forced to go with the hot hand. Back to Romo, the guy came out after not playing for however long and threw a 45 yard 9 route that over shot his receiver by 5 yards! He still has the arm. He was calling out defenses and making pre snap adjustments, he still has the brains. He moved just fine in the pocket, he still had the mobility. He finished off with a 80 TD drive, he's still clutch. For me he is checking off all the boxes. Throw some guaranteed money and the starting QB position at him with a better than average O-line and a stud RB as icing on the cake. Resign Hoyer as an insurance policy and get to work. The bears would be foolish not to make a run at him.
ysleblanc
MVP

Funkster wrote:
ysleblanc wrote: The best fit for Romo is his sofa. He is too fragile for a 16 game NFL schedule. Any Bears plan that includes him is a bad one.
And you come to this conclusion how? Let's be honest, if Dak was struggling and if the team was loosing, Romo would have been handed back his QB spot on a silver platter. He also would have most likely finished the season. Jones was put in an awkward position with the emergence of Dak. He was forced to go with the hot hand. Back to Romo, the guy came out after not playing for however long and threw a 45 yard 9 route that over shot his receiver by 5 yards! He still has the arm. He was calling out defenses and making pre snap adjustments, he still has the brains. He moved just fine in the pocket, he still had the mobility. He finished off with a 80 TD drive, he's still clutch. For me he is checking off all the boxes. Throw some guaranteed money and the starting QB position at him with a better than average O-line and a stud RB as icing on the cake. Resign Hoyer as an insurance policy and get to work. The bears would be foolish not to make a run at him.

This conclusion was based on him being available for only 16 quarters of football the last 2 years and being soon to be 37 years old.

It's a dumb risk for a team to hitch it's 2017 season on him being healthy for 15-16 games. Plus, nobody knows if he still has it because he's played like one series in the last 18 months.