ESPN: "Realistic Chance" of Tony Romo becoming a Bear

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
CRM 114 wrote:Why would Romo want to come here? He would want to go somewhere where he can compete for a championship.
Romo doesn't have many options.

- Buffalo
- NY Jets
- Chicago
You forgot: stay in Dallas since it actually costs them more this year to cut him than to keep him.

That's what I think happens.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:
Adipost wrote:
CRM 114 wrote:Why would Romo want to come here? He would want to go somewhere where he can compete for a championship.

- Buffalo
- NY Jets
- Chicago
You forgot: stay in Dallas since it actually costs them more this year to cut him than to keep him.

I also think he restructures and stays in Dallas. He loves it here, knows his time as a starter in the NFL is probably done. He's always said that he doesn't want to do what Emmett Smith did.
malk
Head Coach

It would be sensible, he certainly doesn't need the money and the hassle of moving across the country. There isn't an obvious ring chase spot either.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:
Adipost wrote:

- Buffalo
- NY Jets
- Chicago

I also think he restructures and stays in Dallas. He loves it here, knows his time as a starter in the NFL is probably done. He's always said that he doesn't want to do what Emmett Smith did.
here's a goofy take that i just thought of:

-romo loves golf, and is pretty good at it.
-tiger wood's is getting destroyed by his multiple back surgeries.
-sooo maybe it is super realistic that romo would like to ride out his last few years holding a clipboard and preserving his health. i'm not questioning his drive or anything like that. but dudes made a few hundred million between salary and endorsements already. why not just focus on your whole golf thing. the whole "this team is a qb away from the superbowl" dream never works out anyway.

as of this very moment i'm on the romo restructures and enjoys being the best backup in the league bandwagon.
Funkster
MVP

Well...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I doubt a person as competitive as a starting NFL QB would choose to take a pay cut, to not play.
Adipost
MVP

From every single thing I've heard this past season, I do not think Romo wants to be a backup. Also, he seems like one of those ultra competitive types like Elway who wants to be the best at whatever the hell hes doing.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I doubt a person as competitive as a starting NFL QB would choose to take a pay cut, to not play.
i wanna believe, though.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:I doubt a person as competitive as a starting NFL QB would choose to take a pay cut, to not play.
i wanna believe, though.

incontrovertible proof?
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/tony ... -golf-pro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

incontrovertible proof.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
i wanna believe, though.
Believe away. As you said he is a really good golfer (scratch golfer). He is also a good BBall player. Maybe he can get those competitive juices out golfing and in pick up games at the Y.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
i wanna believe, though.
Believe away. As you said he is a really good golfer (scratch golfer). He is also a good BBall player. Maybe he can get those competitive juices out golfing and in pick up games at the Y.
i 100% concede that 100% of the time the whole "maybe ultra competitive qb will be ok taking a backseat" thing never happens. Not when there's a QB starved team out there who'd go 5-11 instead of 2-14 with him at the helm.
ysleblanc
MVP

Bears getting Romo would piss me off, even more so if they have up a pick for him.

Dumb management 101.
Adipost
MVP

ysleblanc wrote:Bears getting Romo would piss me off, even more so if they have up a pick for him.

Dumb management 101.
Get ready to be pissed off.
BearDen
Journeyman

Adipost wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:Bears getting Romo would piss me off, even more so if they have up a pick for him.

Dumb management 101.
Not happening. The Romo part anyway, though I'm sure the Bears will do something to piss fans off as per usual.
Funkster
MVP

It's not much but he still can spin the ball and move in the pocket.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
gpphat
Practice Squad

BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Dumb management 101.
Not happening. The Romo part anyway, though I'm sure the Bears will do something to piss fans off as per usual.
Yeah, signing Romo just wouldn't make much sense...but not signing Jeffery will piss off a lot of fans
Adipost
MVP

gpphat wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Dumb management 101.
Yeah, signing Romo just wouldn't make much sense...but not signing Jeffery will piss off a lot of fans
Romo makes the most sense if you want to sit your rookie QB for a season.
gpphat
Practice Squad

Adipost wrote:
gpphat wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Dumb management 101.
What's the point of that? What would the Bears gain from sitting a rookie QB for a season accomplish? Draft Watson, start him from day 1
Adipost
MVP

gpphat wrote:
Adipost wrote:
gpphat wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Dumb management 101.
What's the point of that? What would the Bears gain from sitting a rookie QB for a season accomplish? Draft Watson, start him from day 1
Unless you think John Fox has absolutely no influence in the Bears organization, they are not starting a rookie next year.
gpphat
Practice Squad

Adipost wrote:
gpphat wrote:
Adipost wrote:
gpphat wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Unless you think John Fox has absolutely no influence in the Bears organization, they are not starting a rookie next year.
If they draft a QB with their first round pick, there is no way Fox doesn't start the rookie and keep his job
wab
Mod

Fox doesn't like rookie quarterbacks, but that doesn't mean he won't play one. See: Clausen, Jimmy.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:Fox doesn't like rookie quarterbacks, but that doesn't mean he won't play one. See: Clausen, Jimmy.
Not gonna start a rookie if he doesn't have to with his job on the line.
gpphat
Practice Squad

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:Fox doesn't like rookie quarterbacks, but that doesn't mean he won't play one. See: Clausen, Jimmy.
That's the thing, how many more wins does Romo give Fox over a rookie? Do you think Romo can propel the Bears to a winning record? If Fox goes from 3-13 to 7-9 with Romo I think he gets the axe, especially if the Bears draft a rookie in the first round and he doesn't play him. If Fox goes from 3-13 to 7-9 with a rookie behind the center, that will save his job.

Romo provides nothing for the Bears outside of a high price tag for at least 1 year. Romo is better suited to go to a team that actually has a legitimate chance at a deep playoff run (see Houston or Denver).
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:
If he starts a highly drafted rookie, his job isn't on the line. If he starts...say...Romo over a highly drafted rookie, his job is. And the latter is going to get him fired faster.
Adipost
MVP

gpphat wrote:
Adipost wrote:
That's the thing, how many more wins does Romo give Fox over a rookie? Do you think Romo can propel the Bears to a winning record? If Fox goes from 3-13 to 7-9 with Romo I think he gets the axe, especially if the Bears draft a rookie in the first round and he doesn't play him. If Fox goes from 3-13 to 7-9 with a rookie behind the center, that will save his job.

Romo provides nothing for the Bears outside of a high price tag for at least 1 year. Romo is better suited to go to a team that actually has a legitimate chance at a deep playoff run (see Houston or Denver).
What you are not factoring in is that many of the QB's in this draft class still have a lot of work to do before they can start in the NFL.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
Adipost wrote:
If he starts a highly drafted rookie, his job isn't on the line. If he starts...say...Romo over a highly drafted rookie, his job is. And the latter is going to get him fired faster.
If he loses in any scenario, he's fired.
gpphat
Practice Squad

Adipost wrote:
gpphat wrote:
Adipost wrote:

What you are not factoring in is that many of the QB's in this draft class still have a lot of work to do before they can start in the NFL.
Yes many QB's do need work before starting in the NFL...but not the QB's that will be available to the Bears at #3
Adipost
MVP

[video][/video]
wab
Mod

The Bears gain absolutely nothing by signing Romo. Plus, Romo wants a ring, and he's got maybe 12 games left in him. He's not going to get a ring with the Bears.
Funkster
MVP

And that may be the reason he doesn't start another one??

New reports say Romo expects to be cut not traded. Quoted as being intrigued by Texans. I can't see them eating 25 million to sit Osweiler and I don't see going somewhere to be a back up. I also can't see a team trading for Osweiler.

Teams I can see Romo realistically signed by:
Bears
Niners
Jets
wab wrote:The Bears gain absolutely nothing by signing Romo. Plus, Romo wants a ring, and he's got maybe 12 games left in him. He's not going to get a ring with the Bears.
I disagree, the bears could absolutely gain a winning QB, mentor to rookie and possibly the missing piece to the Bears offensive scoring woes. He's everything a GM could ask for in a QB. Might also be perfect timing. I also disagree with the whole 12 games left comment. You can't possible know that as fact. An actually former NFL doctor says his injury is not career ending.

What competive vet QB doesn't want to compete for a ring? He might not have that option. He might have to "settle" for a team that he can be the immediate starter.