Ranking The Top QB Options For Next Season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

This is a ranking of available QB's that give you the best chance to win next season.

www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/15/nfl-draft-free-agency-quarterback-rankings
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Doing things to get the Bears to win the next season (the Emery quick fixes) is one of the things that got the Bears in the boat they are in. I would prefer the Bears do things for them to win in the long term. I've been pretty negative about the Bears the last few years, but I see as a bright spot that Pace has not been going for a quick fix. I am hoping this off-season he does not get pressured into that either. We are paying right now for the bad QB decisions of the recent past and that bill just has to be paid.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'd say that number 1 and 2 on his list are the most foolish. I am not against keeping Cutler another year, and no I don't think he will ever improve. He is what he is.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Adipost
MVP

staleystarch wrote:Doing things to get the Bears to win the next season (the Emery quick fixes) is one of the things that got the Bears in the boat they are in. I would prefer the Bears do things for them to win in the long term. I've been pretty negative about the Bears the last few years, but I see as a bright spot that Pace has not been going for a quick fix. I am hoping this off-season he does not get pressured into that either. We are paying right now for the bad QB decisions of the recent past and that bill just has to be paid.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'd say that number 1 and 2 on his list are the most foolish. I am not against keeping Cutler another year, and no I don't think he will ever improve. He is what he is.
I do to, but I believe pressure is beginning to be put on Pace/Fox to start winning.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
staleystarch wrote:Doing things to get the Bears to win the next season (the Emery quick fixes) is one of the things that got the Bears in the boat they are in. I would prefer the Bears do things for them to win in the long term. I've been pretty negative about the Bears the last few years, but I see as a bright spot that Pace has not been going for a quick fix. I am hoping this off-season he does not get pressured into that either. We are paying right now for the bad QB decisions of the recent past and that bill just has to be paid.

I do to, but I believe pressure is beginning to be put on Pace/Fox to start winning.
I can't disagree with you there
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
malk
Head Coach

That's a pretty poor list! Taylor over Cousins says it all really. It's a silly premise anyway, you can't isolate anything in the NFL so it isn't a case of whether who is the best between Garoppolo, Taylor or say Glennon, it's Garoppolo minus 2 high picks vs Taylor vs Glennon plus $5-10m.

I've circled back around to rookie (Mahomes) plus Barkley and Shaw. The most upside without wasting cap space in the years where we don't contend.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
I've circled back around to rookie (Mahomes) plus Barkley and Shaw. The most upside without wasting cap space in the years where we don't contend.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

malk wrote:That's a pretty poor list! Taylor over Cousins says it all really. It's a silly premise anyway, you can't isolate anything in the NFL so it isn't a case of whether who is the best between Garoppolo, Taylor or say Glennon, it's Garoppolo minus 2 high picks vs Taylor vs Glennon plus $5-10m.

Give Mahomes 6-8 games to learn the system and then let that glorious stallion run free....
wab
Mod

FWIW, this mock draft has Mahommes going........#3.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... d605b21202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:FWIW, this mock draft has Mahommes going........#3.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... d605b21202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At this point, I'd be fine with it. Unless you work a deal out with Cleveland for the 12 spot and more, Mahomes will get pushed into the middle-first and taken before you get to the early portions of round 2.

I like Mahomes more than Watson or Kizer, and have him equal to Trubisky, maybe a touch higher.
wab
Mod

I think if Trubisky is out of play, then Watson or Mahommes is as good of a pick at #3 as any. Mahommes has so so so much upside. The Bears would almost be universally panned for taking Mahommes that high, but I'm starting to wonder if Mahommes makes it out of the top 10.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think if Trubisky is out of play, then Watson or Mahommes is as good of a pick at #3 as any. Mahommes has so so so much upside. The Bears would almost be universally panned for taking Mahommes that high, but I'm starting to wonder if Mahommes makes it out of the top 10.
I... can't allow myself to think he's a realistic option. He's everything I want from a physical stand point. He's my 90s Jennifer Aniston.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

in a qb class with alot of questions, if pace and fox say this is the guy we want, i dont think i'm mad. media will bring out the pitchforks if he isnt starting within the first few weeks (ala goff), but fuck em. if you wait til round two, and mahomes and watson are both gone, trubisky is probably gone too, ehhhh... probably the next 5 years of bear's football hinges on this decision.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:I think if Trubisky is out of play, then Watson or Mahommes is as good of a pick at #3 as any. Mahommes has so so so much upside. The Bears would almost be universally panned for taking Mahommes that high, but I'm starting to wonder if Mahommes makes it out of the top 10.
Mahomes is not getting drafted in the top 10. 4 QB's are not getting drafted in the top 12. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the QB's are selected in the top 10.
wab
Mod

RustyTrombone wrote:

in a qb class with alot of questions, if pace and fox say this is the guy we want, i dont think i'm mad. media will bring out the pitchforks if he isnt starting within the first few weeks (ala goff), but fuck em. if you wait til round two, and mahomes and watson are both gone, trubisky is probably gone too, ehhhh... probably the next 5 years of bear's football hinges on this decision.
It's honestly tough....because the top 4 guys can be ranked really in any order. I think 2 of them are top 10 picks and the other two probably top 20.

Take a guy like Watson who could go #1 or #41. Same with Mahommes. Mahommes has that Carson Wentz/Ben Roethlisburger vibe to him where he kinda comes out of nowhere to top a top 12 pick.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:

It's honestly tough....because the top 4 guys can be ranked really in any order. I think 2 of them are top 10 picks and the other two probably top 20.

Take a guy like Watson who could go #1 or #41. Same with Mahommes. Mahommes has that Carson Wentz/Ben Roethlisburger vibe to him where he kinda comes out of nowhere to top a top 12 pick.
Here is Daniel Jeremiahs mock draft in January of 2016.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624753/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-10-cowboys-pick-qb-wentz-at-no-4%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%253Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%253Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dprtnr%253Dcollege-football%253Bplyr%253Dtodd_gurley%253Bplyr%253Dtheodore_bridgewater%253Bplyr%253Ddeandre_hopkins%26p.ct%3DCFB%2B24%252F7%26p.adsm%3Dfalse%26p.tcm%3D%2523ffffff%26p.bgc1m%3D%2523000000%26sr%3Damp
wab
Mod

Jeremiah didn't have Floyd going in round one in that very same draft.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Let that glorious stallion run freeeeeeeeeee, now just imagine him with a running game and a stable line in front of him...

This one is just for G08

G08
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote: This one is just for G08

Off-balance, legs knocked out from underneath him, all arm, and he rips a fucking rocket

Literally have to hide behind shelf to shield boner

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:Jeremiah didn't have Floyd going in round one in that very same draft.
He had Wentz going top 5 since the beginning of the year.
malk
Head Coach

I already said I'd be happy to take Mahomes at #3 if necessary. Bollocks to perceived value, take who you think will be the best player.

That said, trading with Cleveland for #12 is probably worth the risk if it's on.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

Ugh, I'm rock hard. The skin has broken.
Adipost
MVP

Polian says that Belichick will be asking for Bears/Browns top pick for JG.
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:Polian says that Belichick will be asking for Bears/Browns top pick for JG.
This is typically how negotiations start.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:Polian says that Belichick will be asking for Bears/Browns top pick for JG.
Pace will proceed to fart into telephone and snicker.

wab
Mod

I swear, if Pace gives the Patriots the 3rd overall pick for Jimmy fucking Garoppolo...I'm logging off and buying a Dak Prescott jersey.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:
I think he asks for the top pick and keeps him if he doesn't get it. Not sure if he even wants to deal him, but he'd probably do it for a top 3 pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I swear, if Pace gives the Patriots the 3rd overall pick for Jimmy fucking Garoppolo...I'm logging off and buying a Dak Prescott jersey.
The Raiders have drafted prospects I fell in love with during the past few seasons, so I will have no problem giving these assholes the big F-U and focusing my time/energy on them.

Carr/Cooper/Mack/Joseph is arguably my favorite group of young'ns in the NFL.
Last edited by G08 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:
I think he asks for the top pick and keeps him if he doesn't get it. Not sure if he even wants to deal him, but he'd probably do it for a top 3 pick.
They are quite okay with Brissett, from what I understand. Trading JG now would give them maximum return, especially considering they're already working on a new deal with Brady and JG's in a contract year.

SOMEbody will give up a lot for JG, whether it's the Bears, Browns, or whomever. He'll get traded.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:I swear, if Pace gives the Patriots the 3rd overall pick for Jimmy fucking Garoppolo...I'm logging off and buying a Dak Prescott jersey.
The Raiders have drafted prospects I have fell in love with during the past few seasons, so I will have no giving these assholes the big F-U and focusing my time/energy on them.

Carr/Cooper/Mack/Joseph is arguably my favorite group of young'ns in the NFL.
Right after Pace finalizes the deal...

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I'd have to wait to find out where Mahomes ends up, but then I will don my #5 jersey and root for whichever team that is...