Bears to sign QB Mike Glennon: 3 yr, $14.5M per

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Middleguard wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Middleguard wrote:I know he has a giraffe's neck, still, it's amazing that he can be so tall since he has no feet. Think back on the statues you've known. How many, once they'd thrown 30 TD passes, still had no rushing TD? How many, once they'd passed for over 4000 yards, still had less than 100 yards rushing?
Who really cares if he had rushing TDs, he has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. He has weapons he will get the ball to and that's all that really matters because this isn't 1932 and we aren't running the wishbone.
I do not think you are correct in dismissing mobility in today's NFL.
He has mobility, but he's not ever going to break the pocket and run.
docc
Head Coach

He won't stick his neck out for a few yards..but he could if he held the ball high..

As long as he can move in the pocket and feel pressure and react correctly..
UOK
Site Admin

Adam Jahns @adamjahns
New #Bears WR Kendall Wright said that QB Mike Glennon has started a group text for plans to get throwing with WRs.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Adam Jahns @adamjahns
New #Bears WR Kendall Wright said that QB Mike Glennon has started a group text for plans to get throwing with WRs.

He's got that sweet sweet unlimited texting money now
Pagan
MVP

My goofy avatar in no way represents any disdain for the new QB.
Personally, I trust Pace enough to see this thing through a few more years= which its going to take.

Glennon might just turn out to be a pleasant surprise.
LacertineForest
MVP

RichH55 wrote:
UOK wrote:Adam Jahns @adamjahns

He's got that sweet sweet unlimited texting money now
lmao
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Loggains, I noticed.
G08
Hall of Famer

I like that he wants to incorporate some of Dirk Koetter's offense into our system; that dude is a pretty bright X's and O's guy.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Middleguard
MVP

G08 wrote:I like that he wants to incorporate some of Dirk Koetter's offense into our system; that dude is a pretty bright X's and O's guy.
I'm pretty sure you meant Dirk Koetter is the dude that is a pretty bright X's and O's guy. Anybody have a clue as to Glennon's facility with hugs and kisses?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Dirk Koetter: Bears QB Mike Glennon compares favorably to Matt Ryan
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are set at quarterback with Jameis Winston, but that doesn’t mean head coach Dirk Koetter wanted to lose valued backup Mike Glennon, who signed a free-agent deal to start for the Chicago Bears in 2017.

“They’re getting a very accurate passer, they’re getting an excellent leader, a guy that will be a relentless, tireless worker,” Koetter told reporters at the owners meetings. “He’ll set the standard for how to work for their team. I compare Mike Glennon favorably with Matt Ryan, and I’ve coached them both. I think they have a similar skill set. Now, Matt’s been a starter since the first day he came into the league and had a lot of success and Mike hasn’t maybe gotten as many opportunities, but I think style of play, I think they have a similar style.”

Koetter isn’t the first coach/executive with Tampa ties to liken Glennon to an already established NFL veteran. Just last week, ESPN NFL Front Office Insider Mark Dominik, who drafted Glennon in the third round back in 2013, compared the 6-foot-6 quarterback to Baltimore’s Joe Flacco.

Whether Glennon becomes the next Ryan or Flacco in Chicago remains to be seen. The Bears don’t exactly have the greatest reputation cultivating quarterback talent. And Glennon cannot do it alone. Chicago needs to surround him with adequate talent at the skill positons and on the offensive line. Glennon is a pure pocket passer, so there isn’t a large margin for error in regards to protection.

Glennon also hasn’t started a game in over two years.
it will be nice to see Glennon live up to what those who have worked with him think of him ... but there is 1 problem noted in this article that troubles me :
Whether Glennon becomes the next Ryan or Flacco in Chicago remains to be seen. The Bears don’t exactly have the greatest reputation cultivating quarterback talent. And Glennon cannot do it alone.
all of this is true and troubling ... I would hope they don't simply throw Glennon out there and hope for the best without actually ensuring the necessary support is in place
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I really worry about Glennon behind the Bears OL. I'm not counting on Long much this coming season, and Leno was helped by the Bears QB's being nimble in the pocket.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I really worry about Glennon behind the Bears OL. I'm not counting on Long much this coming season, and Leno was helped by the Bears QB's being nimble in the pocket.
Lot of short passing game/quick breaking routes.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Boris13c wrote:Dirk Koetter: Bears QB Mike Glennon compares favorably to Matt Ryan
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are set at quarterback with Jameis Winston, but that doesn’t mean head coach Dirk Koetter wanted to lose valued backup Mike Glennon, who signed a free-agent deal to start for the Chicago Bears in 2017.

“They’re getting a very accurate passer, they’re getting an excellent leader, a guy that will be a relentless, tireless worker,” Koetter told reporters at the owners meetings. “He’ll set the standard for how to work for their team. I compare Mike Glennon favorably with Matt Ryan, and I’ve coached them both. I think they have a similar skill set. Now, Matt’s been a starter since the first day he came into the league and had a lot of success and Mike hasn’t maybe gotten as many opportunities, but I think style of play, I think they have a similar style.”

Koetter isn’t the first coach/executive with Tampa ties to liken Glennon to an already established NFL veteran. Just last week, ESPN NFL Front Office Insider Mark Dominik, who drafted Glennon in the third round back in 2013, compared the 6-foot-6 quarterback to Baltimore’s Joe Flacco.

Whether Glennon becomes the next Ryan or Flacco in Chicago remains to be seen. The Bears don’t exactly have the greatest reputation cultivating quarterback talent. And Glennon cannot do it alone. Chicago needs to surround him with adequate talent at the skill positons and on the offensive line. Glennon is a pure pocket passer, so there isn’t a large margin for error in regards to protection.

it will be nice to see Glennon live up to what those who have worked with him think of him ... but there is 1 problem noted in this article that troubles me :
Whether Glennon becomes the next Ryan or Flacco in Chicago remains to be seen. The Bears don’t exactly have the greatest reputation cultivating quarterback talent. And Glennon cannot do it alone.
all of this is true and troubling ... I would hope they don't simply throw Glennon out there and hope for the best without actually ensuring the necessary support is in place
As Glennon enters his 4th year in the NFL, he should be mostly cultivated.
G08
Hall of Famer

I just wish people understood how important scheme continuity is for a QB.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BlueAndOrangeDog wrote:
Boris13c wrote:Dirk Koetter: Bears QB Mike Glennon compares favorably to Matt Ryan

As Glennon enters his 4th year in the NFL, he should be mostly cultivated.
maybe, maybe not ... most of his time has been as a backup, and he is now going to be in a new system ... so the Bears need to take the extra step to ensure he is fully supported in his transition
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

well, pace and fox gave matt barkley half a season with a severely injury depleted team before jettisoning him, so i dont know what they're talking about when they say we arent good at developing qb's.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:well, pace and fox gave matt barkley half a season with a severely injury depleted team before jettisoning him, so i dont know what they're talking about when they say we arent good at developing qb's.
He got a solid 20% of midweek practice snaps the week before the Green Bay game. If he couldn't prove yourself in that amount of time what would he ever amount to.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:well, pace and fox gave matt barkley half a season with a severely injury depleted team before jettisoning him, so i dont know what they're talking about when they say we arent good at developing qb's.
He got a solid 20% of midweek practice snaps the week before the Green Bay game. If he couldn't prove yourself in that amount of time what would he ever amount to.

sad that the current regime, none of whom were associated with the past regimes, still repeat the mistakes of those that have failed before them

we hear them say how they are preparing for the future and have a fresh approach, then they torpedo their own happy news by signing Butt Fumble to go with Glennon instead of drafting someone to go with Glennon

I can talk myself into being ok with Glennon being brought on board, and hope he does well ... but I still can't figure out what the team is actually up to with their other moves
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
malk wrote:

sad that the current regime, none of whom were associated with the past regimes, still repeat the mistakes of those that have failed before them

we hear them say how they are preparing for the future and have a fresh approach, then they torpedo their own happy news by signing Butt Fumble to go with Glennon instead of drafting someone to go with Glennon

I can talk myself into being ok with Glennon being brought on board, and hope he does well ... but I still can't figure out what the team is actually up to with their other moves
I've gone from being a pretty big Pace fan to wondering when he'll get his act together. I get the same feeling as at the end of Lovie's time here, we're building a team for a bygone era, i.e. we're building a Fox team won't win in today's NFL.

Even more so now I wish we'd have canned Fox in the off season and built around Shanny Jr or similar. Or just have hired Gase originally.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Middleguard
MVP

Gotta hope he can pass better than he can sing.
UOK
Site Admin

Glennon got booed lustily at both the 7th inning stretch today and at a recent Bulls game. Kyle Long took it upon himself to call out fans on twitter for booing him.

I really don't like that he's taking this stance. He tweeted awhile back about how he's going to be working so much harder this year to be a leader, lead by example, etc, but then he attacks the fans for booing a guy they have NO reason to be excited about whatsoever.

Play football and get healthy, Kyle. Otherwise ignore the fans if they bother you that much.
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote:Glennon got booed lustily at both the 7th inning stretch today and at a recent Bulls game. Kyle Long took it upon himself to call out fans on twitter for booing him.

I really don't like that he's taking this stance. He tweeted awhile back about how he's going to be working so much harder this year to be a leader, lead by example, etc, but then he attacks the fans for booing a guy they have NO reason to be excited about whatsoever.

Play football and get healthy, Kyle. Otherwise ignore the fans if they bother you that much.
I hear you but I have to disagree. Fans booed the guy for no reason other than the fact that he got signed. I think Long was right to have his guy's back.

If Glennon turns out to stink, then he deserves what he gets but at this stage of the game, folks ought to lighten up and not be such meatballs.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Glennon got booed lustily at both the 7th inning stretch today and at a recent Bulls game. Kyle Long took it upon himself to call out fans on twitter for booing him.

IDK

As fans we have the right to be upset or disagree with the decisions of a team.

But booing a guy to his face before he plays a down in Chicago is a dick move. Encouraging people being dicks is a dick move.

Speaking out and telling "fans" they're being dicks is being anti-dick...in fact it's actually standing up for his teammate.

Don't be a dick.
Be like Kyle.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

IotaNet wrote: If Glennon turns out to stink, then he deserves what he gets but at this stage of the game, folks ought to lighten up and not be such meatballs.
I think the Glennon move is great if you draft a QB in rds 1 or 2, but for now he's being treated as an instant starter and getting the run of the town like the Bears signed Drew Brees in his prime or something. It's unmerited.

Not to mention fans have seen this movie before. We're tired of having the Bears piss on our shoes and tell us it's rain.

Besides, I'll always generally take the backs of the fans since, as a fan, I've spent the better part of 20 years having the Bears treat the fans as enemies, "us against them" bullcrap ever since Lovie was around. I love the players but there are plenty of times where they can't see past their own rah-rah bullshit (understandably so) to see what the fan sees. Plus the organization is SO pathetic about trying to control the narrative and the media hasn't bought their bullshit in many, many, many years. They've come nowhere close to earning the benefit of the doubt, so until they start winning and proving they're a competent, competitive organization, fans can and should boo these assholes when they feel like it.

If players don't like it, they can fucking leave.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

malk wrote:
I've gone from being a pretty big Pace fan to wondering when he'll get his act together. I get the same feeling as at the end of Lovie's time here, we're building a team for a bygone era, i.e. we're building a Fox team won't win in today's NFL.

Even more so now I wish we'd have canned Fox in the off season and built around Shanny Jr or similar. Or just have hired Gase originally.
I've speculated that we're about to see several of the top quality QB's gone from the league very shortly. Who is line to replace them? The best pure passes who will still be here in 2-3 years are Luck, Rodgers (who might be declining then), Stafford (also declining), Winston, Flacco, Dalton, Carr, Prescott, Wentz, Cousins, Ryan, Newton (who isn't a pure passer), Mariotta (who isn't a pure passer), and Wilson (who isn't a pure passer).

Some big names left, but that list is pretty light compared to the golden age of passing we've seen the last 10-15 years.

I'm betting smart GM's are looking to augment their team to be able to compete in the new run heavy league that will emerge in the next few years. Even if the run heavy schemes are set up by pass happy formations.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malk
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
malk wrote:

I've speculated that we're about to see several of the top quality QB's gone from the league very shortly. Who is line to replace them? The best pure passes who will still be here in 2-3 years are Luck, Rodgers (who might be declining then), Stafford (also declining), Winston, Flacco, Dalton, Carr, Prescott, Wentz, Cousins, Ryan, Newton (who isn't a pure passer), Mariotta (who isn't a pure passer), and Wilson (who isn't a pure passer).

Some big names left, but that list is pretty light compared to the golden age of passing we've seen the last 10-15 years.

I'm betting smart GM's are looking to augment their team to be able to compete in the new run heavy league that will emerge in the next few years. Even if the run heavy schemes are set up by pass happy formations.
@UOK. I also disagree about Long there, I'm as pissed as anyone at this signing but it isn't Glennon's fault and he hasn't played a down. Pretty douchy to boo him. But, eh, screw it, he's got $18m dollars.

@A&R. I've speculated the same. That's a pretty poor list of passers! Rodgers is the only elite one. Bar for him Ryan has had one elite season (2016) and Wilson has been very good but we'll see if my theory about drop off after 2nd contract comes true, especially as 2016 wasn't elite from him. Luck is good but has flattered to deceive, same with Stafford. The rest are either average or too young to properly evaluate (and I'd again refer back to what happens on contract two for the rookie deal players.

If we're right then smart GMs (hell even just ones that hedge) should sign run defenders to long term deals at the discount rates available now and looking hard at the offensive schemes to make sure they're flexible on QB required. You'd also imagine that the very best players at any position would soak up a lot of any money that comes available from the QB share declining so long term deals for them could also be smart moves.

This doesn't change my opinion that dropping top 30 money on a potentially average QB isn't smart. Similarly Pace's propensity for short term deals at market rates is strange. It's a move for a vet team not a rebuilding one. I can't shake the feeling that he's just plain bad at free agency and it isn't talent evaluation but cap management.

wab
Mod

Why are fans so excited to have the league go back to 1985?
Funkster
MVP

I'm not shocked fans would boo Glennon. I'm also not shocked Long stood up for his QB. Dude is ride or die and a guy I wouldn't mind covering my 6 when the shit hits the fan.

Its funny that a large majority of members on this forum supported Cutler until the end. The Bears gave up the back 40, the kitchen sink, the family car and $96,918,587 to get him and he finished his tenure at 500. Glennon was signed for pennies on the dollar compared to Cutler. If he is as average as Cutler was, the return on investments is far greater. Who really should be getting booed?...just saying!

wab wrote:Why are fans so excited to have the league go back to 1985?
Maybe because a strong running game and elite defense wins championships?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:Why are fans so excited to have the league go back to 1985?
You spoke earlier in a post about being a realist. I did not say that I was excited about anything...simply that I've speculated based on what's available.

Reality says that the swing in talent will shift again. The talent available to sling the rock is dropping and until its replaced, it ain't there. That's reality.

The only way to win without a QB who can put you on his shoulders is with a strong defense and tough running attack coupled with QB who doesn't turn the ball over.