Bears to sign QB Mike Glennon: 3 yr, $14.5M per

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I'll watch, but it really will be with total indifference. I won't have a vested interest until it's Trubisky's team. I'll just be treading water as a fan until then.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so, figured now would be a good time to bring this thread back to the front

$14.5 million ... not a small amount of money ... in the ying and yang of this discussion, that was an amount generally agreed as the going rate for an average to good NFL QB ... but this is what the Bears are paying Glennon, a second string QB, to give him the opportunity to be a starter

$9.6 million (salary and bonus) is what Brian Hoyer is being paid by the 49ers ... Hoyer has been a starter off and on for years

Glennon has yet to show he is an average NFL QB ... Hoyer is certainly no better than average

so who got the better deal? Bears or 49ers?

my vote is the 49ers ... the apparent sole purpose of signing Glennon and overpaying to do so was to be the smokescreen for the drafting of Trubisky

I have accepted Glennon is what we are stuck with for most of this season, and he especially deserves the abuse sure to come against the Steelers, Packers, Vikings and Ravens ... he did in fact divert attention away from the draft and what the Bears were up to ... but at the end of this season, he should not be on the team ... his efforts, and team results, over the next several weeks should be enough to confirm that with even the most dug-in-like-a-tick last ditch supporters he may have left

2 weeks into the season, and we have a mess ... week 7 against Carolina is when I now think the Trubisky era should begin
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

I never understand why people care about the contract amounts. Unless those contracts prevented you from going out and getting other players or re-signing your own, then it makes zero difference to me who the McCaskeys are paying and how much - especially when the argument is "Glennon sucks. Hoyer sucks too, but at least we would have saved $5m over three years."
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the dollar amount is valid for comparison purposes

the amount Glennon is being paid is an amount for an average to perhaps good NFL QB ... Glennon is proving to be neither which makes one wonder why the Bears seemed to be bidding against themselves for him
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

Boris13c wrote:the dollar amount is valid for comparison purposes

the amount Glennon is being paid is an amount for an average to perhaps good NFL QB ... Glennon is proving to be neither which makes one wonder why the Bears seemed to be bidding against themselves for him
I really think it was all part of the smokescreen to draft a QB high. Glennon was average in the first game and horrible yesterday. Hoyer and the 49ers haven't scored a TD. Plus, it's pretty early to make a comparison - it's only been two games.
BR0D1E86
MVP

BearButtseks wrote:I never understand why people care about the contract amounts. Unless those contracts prevented you from going out and getting other players or re-signing your own, then it makes zero difference to me who the McCaskeys are paying and how much - especially when the argument is "Glennon sucks. Hoyer sucks too, but at least we would have saved $5m over three years."
It only matters in that if Hoyer was shitting the bed like this it would be easier to replace him. Sadly, I don't think he would be. Because from what I've seen he is a better quarterback.
LacertineForest
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:I never understand why people care about the contract amounts. Unless those contracts prevented you from going out and getting other players or re-signing your own, then it makes zero difference to me who the McCaskeys are paying and how much - especially when the argument is "Glennon sucks. Hoyer sucks too, but at least we would have saved $5m over three years."
It only matters in that if Hoyer was shitting the bed like this it would be easier to replace him. Sadly, I don't think he would be. Because from what I've seen he is a better quarterback.
I don't think you'd see any difference in terms of getting the hook. Trubisky is in the long term future regardless. Fox is not if he doesn't win.

As for the QB comparison...

Mike Glennon, QB CHI - 57 / 85, 67.1 COMP %, 514 YDS, 6.05 YPA, 22 LONG, 2 TD, 2 INT, 5 SACK, 81.2 RTG
Brian Hoyer, QB SF - 39 / 62, 62.9 COMP %, 292 YDS, 4.71 YPA, 22 LONG, 0 TD, 2 INT, 6 SACK, 60.7 RTG

Yuck.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

ok, so they both seem to suck

the original argument when the Bears signed Glennon was why pay so much for a taller version of Hoyer when they could have just kept Hoyer (and probably kept him for less than the 49ers ponied up)?

that original argument is still valid ... the only thing working in Glennon's favor was the smokescreen effect for the Bears draft moves ... if they had re-signed Hoyer, everyone else would have taken it to mean the Bears would be looking for a QB in the draft ... the signing of Glennon to his deal had the opposite effect
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote:ok, so they both seem to suck

the original argument when the Bears signed Glennon was why pay so much for a taller version of Hoyer when they could have just kept Hoyer (and probably kept him for less than the 49ers ponied up)?

that original argument is still valid ... the only thing working in Glennon's favor was the smokescreen effect for the Bears draft moves ... if they had re-signed Hoyer, everyone else would have taken it to mean the Bears would be looking for a QB in the draft ... the signing of Glennon to his deal had the opposite effect
And 10 years from now, after 9 Trubisky Super Bowl MVP's I probably won't be upset about it any more. But for right now, fuck Mike Glennon and his money.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
Funkster wrote:Why are some surprised at this? With "everything on the table" any available QB will be looked at!

IMO, Glennon is not the answer.

It's funny how some use Hoyer's name as if it's a bad thing. He fits exactly what the bears say they want in a QB.
He systematically fits.
He's efficient.
He protects the football.
He takes what the defense gives him.
He spreads the ball around.
He's said he has no problem mentoring a rookie.

Resigning Hoyer should be the start of filling the QB position holes.
Hoyer has lost all confidence in his abilities and now refuses to throw the ball downfield, especially on 3rd down. He is incapable of running an offense, and pads his stats on uncontested check down passes on 3rd down.
You could easily swap Glennon's name right into this quote.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This is a silly argument. You answered your own question. Glennon was signed very early in FA. So if the Bears have $5M more of cap $$$ on day 2 of FA, you don't think they would've spent it? And even if they didn't, they could carry it over to 2018. You think that has no value?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
LacertineForest
MVP

No, I don't. The Bears tried to go after big name free agents in the secondary, and it was reported they offered more than others. I don't believe they were limited by this spending at all. Money isn't the reason players didn't come to Chicago.

There's no way in hell they're paying him next year. The Bears clearly believed they'd get something better from Glennon than what we saw last week, but $5M more in the grand scheme of things isn't changing the fortunes of the team.

It's it a bad contact? Sure looks like it. However, if you're pining for Brian Hoyer to have been the starter because it saves the team $5M, then...I guess that's more of a reflection of the sad state of this team two weeks into the season than anything else.
malk
Head Coach

BearButtseks wrote:No, I don't. The Bears tried to go after big name free agents in the secondary, and it was reported they offered more than others. I don't believe they were limited by this spending at all. Money isn't the reason players didn't come to Chicago.

There's no way in hell they're paying him next year. The Bears clearly believed they'd get something better from Glennon than what we saw last week, but $5M more in the grand scheme of things isn't changing the fortunes of the team.

It's it a bad contact? Sure looks like it. However, if you're pining for Brian Hoyer to have been the starter because it saves the team $5M, then...I guess that's more of a reflection of the sad state of this team two weeks into the season than anything else.
Christ. If we don't sign Glennon AND we don't sign top free agents you then front load your extensions more and save future cap. Or you let it roll over.

If you're not managing every cent of the cap then you're not getting good as soon as you could be.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BR0D1E86
MVP

Surprisingly, after two games The Smokescreen has the highest completion percent on passes of 10+ yards in the NFL.

Of course, I would wager that nearly all of those passes came in garbage time for him. So it's pretty meaningless.
docc
Head Coach

Also..how many were there ? How many were 4 yards with 7 YAC but needed 14 to the first ?
If you throw 5 for 5 of 11 shorts with YAC added..the stat is meaningless really..
100%..?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:Surprisingly, after two games The Smokescreen has the highest completion percent on passes of 10+ yards in the NFL.

Of course, I would wager that nearly all of those passes came in garbage time for him. So it's pretty meaningless.
probably because he doesn't throw many +10 yard passes? except during garbage time, when they don't matter

docc wrote:Also..how many were there ? How many were 4 yards with 7 YAC but needed 14 to the first ?
If you throw 5 for 5 of 11 shorts with YAC added..the stat is meaningless really..
100%..?
see that's the kicker - he is always throwing short of the first down marker, but then because his throw was so telegraphed, there is no YAC

he completed 2 to Miller for 7 yards and 8 yards and he was tackled immediately, 3 yards shy of a first down
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Hoyer looking like a real QB tonight..while we have the White Giraffe...

As usual..
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Hoyer looking like a real QB tonight..while we have the White Giraffe...

As usual..
lol.
hoyer has been complete dogshit for the first two games
docc
Head Coach

..and Glennon is worse than dogshit then..LOL

Hoyer is less inept that the White feeble Giraffe..
No praise..but lets get Neck to a game where we score 39 ?!
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

a pretty good read and analysis of Glennon I found on the reddit Bears forum:
The offensive drive following Tampa’s first score culminated to a play that showcased all of Glennon’s flaws in less than 6 seconds. The Bears line up with a close bunch formation to the right of the formation, with a single receiver to the left side. Tampa shows what appears to be man coverage pre snap, with a single high safety. If you look closely, Glennon makes a pre-snap adjustment as he and Tarik Cohen send some signals back and forth to each other. Shortly after, the ball is snapped and Tampa sends every lineman and linebacker they have in the box on a 6-man blitz. The Bears also have 6 bodies in the box, and honestly the protection was called about as well as one could have expected, with most of the pressure coming from Glennon’s front side. As he drops back, his eyes shift to Tarik Cohen, and he doesn’t shift off until it’s too late. It’s pretty clear what happens next, Noah Spence strip sacks Glennon, and the ball lands directly in Lavonte David’s hands for the easy recovery.
The whole point of the stack formation is to create a vertical stretch without the need for a true vertical threat. If you notice at the beginning of the play, aside from the CB who is lined up directly over Zach Miller, both of the other DB’s are 6YDs off the line of scrimmage. As Miller releases up field, the CB covering him runs with him, while the innermost DB takes Tarik, and the outermost DB gets caught in no man’s land while Kendall Wright runs a drag route across the field with not a defender in sight and nothing but green grass in front of him. As much as Dowell did his best to use smart play design to make the QB’s job as easy as possible, Glennon still manages to beat himself.
When revisiting the second interception on 3rd and 9 on our 2nd to last possession of the 2nd Q, it’s only more egregious than the first in that it was returned for 6 points. You could almost see this coming, considering up to this point in the game Glennon was habitually staring down certain receivers on plays that took longer than 3 second to develop. While there were certainly less risky throws he could have taken here, it’s really how Glennon threw this interception that makes you wonder what the hell was he thinking? He couldn’t have thrown it any more directly to the CB had he tried. If a QB is going to attempt a throw on an out breaking route like this, with a CB in trail technique, you typically want to finish high and to the outside, so that the CB doesn’t just undercut the route. Instead Glennon throws it 2 steps behind Bellamy’s route, directly into the CB’s chest. 16-0 Tampa Bay.
When considering the lack of production in the running game, the Bucs have a pretty exceptional front, and made it a point to shut down our running game. Gerald McCoy pretty much had his way with whoever he wanted, and their defensive line as whole did a great job of keeping the second level guys clean and able to fly around to make plays behind and around the line of scrimmage. While the Bears did their best to work around the lack of run game by manufacturing chunk plays with Tarik Cohen in the passing game, the offense was still wholly inefficient for the majority of the game. Of course, when you’re down 16 points at the half, the game isn’t completely out of reach, but when you have a RB’s that rushed for 16YDs on 14 carries combined through one half, on an offense that relies so heavily on play action and roll outs to mask some of its deficiencies, you are either going to need an all-world defense to generate some points or an elite QB manning the helm, of which the Bears have neither.
Now while Glennon inarguably played his worst game of the season so far, there were multiple indefensible drops by several receivers toward the tail end of this game. Some might say the game was out of reach at this point, so who cares? While that may be true, the drops are still inexcusable, especially when the balls were delivered on target.
Speaking on the tail end of the game, there was a score for Bears fans who hadn’t left the stadium or drank themselves into a drunken stupor by this point. For what it’s worth, this was probably Glennon’s best completion all game, noticing the outside corner get caught in no man’s land, as he proceeds to drop the ball in the bucket for Deonte Thompson who ran right past the slot CB on the corner route.
However, if we backtrack two plays before this, Glennon is actually fortunate to not have tallied a 4th turnover, and his 3rd interception. The Bucs show two high safties pre-snap, so this would likely indicate either be a cover 2 or 4 call. As the ball is snapped, like a homing beacon, Glennon’s eyes lock directly onto Deonte Thompson. So what does TJ Ward, the left most safety do? Follow the QB’s eyes. Thompson ends up running a stutter-fade route, and uncovers from the CB shading him, but Ward saw this play the whole way, and nearly picks the ball off cleanly in the end zone, which would have iced the game. The ball ends up getting batted up into the air, and even gives the trailing CB what would have been the easiest pick of his life, had he not unnecessarily left the ground and just ran under the ball.