Bears sign TE Dion Sims

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Fuck, I guess I won't be buying Superbowl tickets after all.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think it takes guys awhile to learn the position in the NFL. It's possibly the second most complex position considering you have to learn blocking technique and route concepts and build mass following college where you can be a 240 lb speedster in a spread system

It was necessary to have a second vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

Miller is a FA after this season, I'd have to think we draft his replacement.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Miller is a FA after this season, I'd have to think we draft his replacement.
I don't know. They are high on the young guys...Brown/Pruitt/Braunecker.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

This was probably the worst signing of our offseason
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote:This was probably the worst signing of our offseason
An awful lot of people in the know are comparing him (in terms of talent) to Bennett. People seem to think he might be on the verge of breaking out.
Nanky
Journeyman

wab wrote:
RichH55 wrote:This was probably the worst signing of our offseason
An awful lot of people in the know are comparing him (in terms of talent) to Bennett. People seem to think he might be on the verge of breaking out.
That's how I see it, we're paying upfront for potential. This will look like a great deal if he becomes what the Bears think he will be. I don't have a problem with this signing, he could be a complete bust, but there's a lot to work with.
G08
Hall of Famer

I was watching clips of his... dude is pretty freaking fluid for his size. Solid if not spectacular.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:I was watching clips of his... dude is pretty freaking fluid for his size. Solid if not spectacular.
I've read Delanie Walker comparisons, in terms of break out potential, not in size... like Delanie leaving SF and getting to Tennessee where he actually was used as a weapon over just a blocking TE/H Back type of player
G08
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:
G08 wrote:I was watching clips of his... dude is pretty freaking fluid for his size. Solid if not spectacular.
I've read Delanie Walker comparisons, in terms of break out potential, not in size... like Delanie leaving SF and getting to Tennessee where he actually was used as a weapon over just a blocking TE/H Back type of player
His first year in Tennessee was with our very own Hobbit!

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Sims could be one of those under the radar signings. I think this is the one I'm most excited about.

:shock:

???

so, have you received treatment for your recent head injury?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:Sims could be one of those under the radar signings. I think this is the one I'm most excited about.

???

Well, you can go with 2 TE sets (12 personnel) and force defenses to respect the run. Then you have 2 TEs who can get vertical and Kevin White/Kendall Wright on the outside threatening to go deep.

Pick your poison for the defense.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

???

Well, you can go with 2 TE sets (12 personnel) and force defenses to respect the run. Then you have 2 TEs who can get vertical and Kevin White/Kendall Wright on the outside threatening to go deep.

I get what you're saying ... I am just not that optimistic Sims is the man for the job and think they could have gotten a 5th round draft pick at TE that would probably have as much upside (or more) and cost a ton less

I guess I'll just add this to the growing list of things I am puzzled about
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

???

I get what you're saying ... I am just not that optimistic Sims is the man for the job and think they could have gotten a 5th round draft pick at TE that would probably have as much upside (or more) and cost a ton less

I guess I'll just add this to the growing list of things I am puzzled about
Oof. No argument from me there amigo.

I think Pace knew he had to spend money somewhere so he got these dudes. I really think he's going to stick to his draft and legit go BPA at each pick.

Pagan
MVP

I'm not expecting fans to all be of the "meatball variety", it's just that I've noticed a growing trend towards angst & pessimism.
With this teams track record... it's understandable to a degree.

<- Don't let Beaky the Buzzard over hear fool you... I'm still plenty optimistic about this team & am actually TOTALLY fine with Pace spending a bit more than necessary for a handful of 2nd tier players= the team HAS to spend a certain amount of $ every year to reach the minimum.

1) The Bears are still WAAAAY under the cap
2) Let's see what this team looks like when it DOESN'T have biblical injuries.
3) Being overly critical is always the safe play= worst case scenario things go great & someone casually admits that a player or coach "proved them wrong on that one".
4) This team is still in rebuild mode.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:the team HAS to spend a certain amount of $ every year to reach the minimum
spending money to reach the minimum does not mean to throw money away just to hit the hard coded bottom line

$6 mil a year to a second tier TE is not wise money spent, and perhaps that "have to spend this!" $6 mil would have enabled Alshon Jeffery to remain a Bear, which I think would have been money spent wisely

so I'm pessimistic because I have no f'n clue wtf this team is actually trying to do ... they ditch a legitimate #1 WR because of alleged money issues, then shoot a wad of cash into a dumpster because they "have to"? makes absolutely no sense to me
George Carlin
Nanky
Journeyman

Boris13c wrote:
Pagan wrote:the team HAS to spend a certain amount of $ every year to reach the minimum
spending money to reach the minimum does not mean to throw money away just to hit the hard coded bottom line

$6 mil a year to a second tier TE is not wise money spent, and perhaps that "have to spend this!" $6 mil would have enabled Alshon Jeffery to remain a Bear, which I think would have been money spent wisely

so I'm pessimistic because I have no f'n clue wtf this team is actually trying to do ... they ditch a legitimate #1 WR because of alleged money issues, then shoot a wad of cash into a dumpster because they "have to"? makes absolutely no sense to me
Did the Bears ditch Jeffery or did he ditch the Bears? You have to factor in that he possibly did not want to be here, and I think his new contract shows just that. The only way he was going to be a Bear is if we way overpaid or franchise tagged him. Just because the Bears have the money does not mean they can sign every player, there are a lot more factors in play.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote: $6 mil a year to a second tier TE is not wise money spent, and perhaps that "have to spend this!" $6 mil would have enabled Alshon Jeffery to remain a Bear, which I think would have been money spent wisely
This is under the premise that Alshon really wanted to remain in Chicago... unless we were in the negotiations or have inside info with his agent, we have no clue what he was offered and what he turned down... we do know he turned down a multi-year deal in Minnesota... but as there are no real reports on what the Bears offered him, this speculation that "6m might have kept him" is kinda you just wanting to believe that Pace didn't offer it to him... fact is, we don't know, and maybe Pace didn't offer him the money, but again, we don't know... What we do know is that Pace thought highly enough of Glennon to give him low end starter money and he sees Dion Sims as a similar breakout type player to someone like Delanie Walker.

Sims contract looks pretty much similar to the one signed by Walker 4 years ago... 1m more and one year less, adjusted for inflation I would say these contracts are pretty close... with Walker being 2 years older at the time of signing his... look at the stats on each, they both came from similar situations where they were the backup TE and now getting their shots at being starters.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-ti ... lker-3360/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bear ... ims-12387/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:
Boris13c wrote: $6 mil a year to a second tier TE is not wise money spent, and perhaps that "have to spend this!" $6 mil would have enabled Alshon Jeffery to remain a Bear, which I think would have been money spent wisely
This is under the premise that Alshon really wanted to remain in Chicago... unless we were in the negotiations or have inside info with his agent, we have no clue what he was offered and what he turned down... we do know he turned down a multi-year deal in Minnesota... but as there are no real reports on what the Bears offered him, this speculation that "6m might have kept him" is kinda you just wanting to believe that Pace didn't offer it to him... fact is, we don't know, and maybe Pace didn't offer him the money, but again, we don't know...
that was why I used the word "perhaps" because no, I don't know ... don't know what was offered ... don't know if he wanted to stay
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Regarding AJ, I think it's pretty reasonable to think that the Bears would've made the same deal with him that they made last year, which was $14.6M for 1 year. The Eagles signed him to $14M for 1 year. That tells me who made the decision to stay or leave, even if it is based on speculation.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Alshon wanted out. There's really no secret here.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Alshon wanted out. There's really no secret here.

yeah I suppose

unfortunate, but life goes on
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:Alshon wanted out. There's really no secret here.

yeah I suppose

unfortunate, but life goes on
I don't get it, man. But then again I do. The Bears are in a bad spot, Cutler was kind of a turd, the coaching staff are pricks, and it's fuckin' cold around here sometimes. Plus you gotta see George McCaskey's dumb ass every now and then and nobody wants that.
malk
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:I'm not expecting fans to all be of the "meatball variety", it's just that I've noticed a growing trend towards angst & pessimism.

<- Don't let Beaky the Buzzard over hear fool you... I'm still plenty optimistic about this team & am actually TOTALLY fine with Pace spending a bit more than necessary for a handful of 2nd tier players= the team HAS to spend a certain amount of $ every year to reach the minimum.

3) Being overly critical is always the safe play= worst case scenario things go great & someone casually admits that a player or coach "proved them wrong on that one".
Bellamy does have holes in his hands.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Pagan wrote:I'm not expecting fans to all be of the "meatball variety", it's just that I've noticed a growing trend towards angst & pessimism.

Bellamy does have holes in his hands.
he isn't the only one

George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

And verily did the lofted pass penetrate the stigmata and fall upon the dusty ground. And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears TE Dion Sims Blasted By Nurse & ‘IG Model’ That She’s Pregnant & To Stop Ignoring Her (PICS)
Welcome to the social media era.

Chicago Bears TE Dion Sims probably woke up this Sunday morning feeling good…and then he logged on to Instagram and saw that all hell broke loose.

Instagram model (and nurse on the side) _mimibad blasted the Chicago Bears TE for all to see by announcing she was pregnant with his child and that he needs to step up and be a father. She also told him to stop ignoring her.

_mimibad: “how could i tell everybody but you, congrats DION SIMS your having another little girl. @mia80h not going to air out our personal business but I just thought you should know. Hopefully within time you take care of your responsibilities, since you want to ignore what’s going on. And as for anybody who wants to comment ignorant shit you know nothing about this situation so keep your negative comments to yourself. Congrats again baby daddy & thank you for this blessing.”
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:Bears TE Dion Sims Blasted By Nurse & ‘IG Model’ That She’s Pregnant & To Stop Ignoring Her (PICS)
Welcome to the social media era.

Chicago Bears TE Dion Sims probably woke up this Sunday morning feeling good…and then he logged on to Instagram and saw that all hell broke loose.

Instagram model (and nurse on the side) _mimibad blasted the Chicago Bears TE for all to see by announcing she was pregnant with his child and that he needs to step up and be a father. She also told him to stop ignoring her.

_mimibad: “how could i tell everybody but you, congrats DION SIMS your having another little girl. @mia80h not going to air out our personal business but I just thought you should know. Hopefully within time you take care of your responsibilities, since you want to ignore what’s going on. And as for anybody who wants to comment ignorant shit you know nothing about this situation so keep your negative comments to yourself. Congrats again baby daddy & thank you for this blessing.”

Not going to lie, she sounds a bit unhinged.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Not going to lie, she sounds a bit unhinged.
most of the celebrity sperm receptacles generally are

why the celebrities continue to not understand the need to wrap up prior to their horizontal aerobics baffles me
George Carlin
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:Not going to lie, she sounds a bit unhinged.
most of the celebrity sperm receptacles generally are

why the celebrities continue to not understand the need to wrap up prior to their horizontal aerobics baffles me

That would be the last thing she would want.