Bears Free Agency Recap - Day 1

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

So, there's been a lot of hand wringing over today's activity. I thought I'd recap today in order to make everyone feel a little better.

1 - Bears sign 27yr old career backup, who might be Matt Ryan...but probably isn't, to 45 million dollar contract.
2 - Bears miss out on top 2 corners and top 2 OTs.
3 - Bears sign 32 year old safety, who in fairness doesn't have that many NFL years on his body.
3 - Bears cut all time leading passer.
4 - Bears top WR signs a middle finger deal with another team.
5 - Bears sign blocking TE.

Shit. That didn't help at all.

Here's looking forward to day 2.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter: Lions reached agreement with DL Cornelius Washington, per source.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
wab
Mod

RING4CHI wrote:Adam Schefter: Lions reached agreement with DL Cornelius Washington, per source.
malk
Head Coach

Why hasn't the Glennon deal been announced?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Why hasn't the Glennon deal been announced?
Because it's not happening.

*fingers crossed*
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

malk wrote:Why hasn't the Glennon deal been announced?
Because they're reworking his contract to pay him $60 million per season instead of $14.5.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Reports are the Bears where essentially bidding against themselves fire Glennon. So at least three is that.
malk
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Reports are the Bears where essentially bidding against themselves fire Glennon. So at least three is that.
Good Pace bad Pace bidding against each other?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

wab
Mod

I posted this clearly in jest... but one positive that I'll take away from today is that Pace is committed to not writing a bunch of bad contracts. He made his offers and stuck to them...I guess that's all you can really do.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:I posted this clearly in jest... but one positive that I'll take away from today is that Pace is committed to not writing a bunch of bad contracts. He made his offers and stuck to them...I guess that's all you can really do.
That's his weird ideological purity coming through again though. Free agent signings get a bad rap because bad teams do them badly. You've got to use the cap somehow so, for example, if we end up with loads left after this free agency it would have been better to pick one of the top guys and give them a pile of cash in year one. Say Bouye, give him $25-30m in year one, guaranteed and then reap the benefits in the future.

Signing players to contracts where they have to be elite for the whole guaranteed period, normally the first three years, is a terrible risk. There are however better ways of doing it.

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

The only speculation I can make about today that brings any sense to the steaming turd of FA day 1 is perhaps they are looking to extend some of our own and are looking to rollover as much cap $ as possible for the FA class next year. A shitty strategy in my opinion, but it could be a strategy. Otherwise Pace/Fox just got punked today when they had a chance to improve the team and refused to move with the market.
malk
Head Coach

I guess with the amount you can roll over it isn't a bad idea to see what you've got with a new QB before committing to free agents. That'd be much more compatible with a rookie QB than Longneck the Red though.

malk
Head Coach

[video][/video]

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I posted this clearly in jest... but one positive that I'll take away from today is that Pace is committed to not writing a bunch of bad contracts. He made his offers and stuck to them...I guess that's all you can really do.
There's something to be said for not paying more than an asset is worth to you. Of course, if you've misread the market and you end up with nobody left to spend your money on, then that could be bad. I'm not saying I've passed that judgement, but based on how today went, its possible.

Just have to wait and see how it plays out. Tough day though.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I just feel like we have been gutted today. Our team got demonstrably worse today. As of right now, before the draft, I'm not sure how we win more games next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wab
Mod

I think the Bears are counting on health.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I have a theory. Its the only ounce of a positive out look I can put on today.

McCaskey has finally come to the conclusion that this whole shit show has to be blown up. He finally reached that point, or Pace finally got him there. There were a lot of big contracts coming to an end this year, and we have a high draft pick. With McCaskey's blessing, Pace is tearing this roster to the ground. He's tearing it down and its gonna take two years. That's why you have Glennon on what is a two year deal. Its why you aren't making big splashes in FA. You aren't offering a lot, because you don't want to overpay for what will end up being stopgaps in the rebuild. The shitty part of it is, that McCaskey does not trust this meatball fanbase to understand, so he has not allowed anyone in the organization to come out and say the term 're-build'. So we are left to wonder what the fuck is going on.

I got to this conclusion because I had to accept the fact that Pace is not this inept. That the Bears had not sunk so low yet, that NO ONE of any substance wanted to play for them. That McCaskey was fucking tired of the Packers making deep runs into the playoffs every year, while we stand around with our thumbs up our asses. He's tired of it. He's watched the Blackhawks and the Cubs have sustained, championship winning success by doing this, and he's decided that its time. The Cubs winning the World Series last year was the last straw. My guess is that we will not have a winning record again until 2019.

Get comfortable boys and girls, this is going to be a rough stretch as a fan.
IotaNet
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I have a theory. Its the only ounce of a positive out look I can put on today.

McCaskey has finally come to the conclusion that this whole shit show has to be blown up. He finally reached that point, or Pace finally got him there. There were a lot of big contracts coming to an end this year, and we have a high draft pick. With McCaskey's blessing, Pace is tearing this roster to the ground. He's tearing it down and its gonna take two years. That's why you have Glennon on what is a two year deal. Its why you aren't making big splashes in FA. You aren't offering a lot, because you don't want to overpay for what will end up being stopgaps in the rebuild. The shitty part of it is, that McCaskey does not trust this meatball fanbase to understand, so he has not allowed anyone in the organization to come out and say the term 're-build'. So we are left to wonder what the fuck is going on.

I got to this conclusion because I had to accept the fact that Pace is not this inept. That the Bears had not sunk so low yet, that NO ONE of any substance wanted to play for them. That McCaskey was fucking tired of the Packers making deep runs into the playoffs every year, while we stand around with our thumbs up our asses. He's tired of it. He's watched the Blackhawks and the Cubs have sustained, championship winning success by doing this, and he's decided that its time. The Cubs winning the World Series last year was the last straw. My guess is that we will not have a winning record again until 2019.

Get comfortable boys and girls, this is going to be a rough stretch as a fan.
Interesting theory and I don't totally disagree. Honestly, I won't hate is so much IF its articulated as a real, concrete PLAN. To your point -- both the Cubs and the Blackhawks told everybody upfront what they were doing so the fanbases gave them some leeway.

For what its worth, I think that *I* would be better able to swallow it if they got rid of Fox and hired an up-and-coming young coach (a la Shanahan, Gase, or Quinn) to lead the on-field aspects of the rebuild. I'm personally starting to see Fox as a past-his-prime retread and I'd rather see a different face of the franchise.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Could be players prefer to be elsewhere than with the $hit show that we've become.

I stand alone.