*sigh* QB Mark Sanchez signs 1-year deal w/ Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hematite
Player of the Month

Mountains out of mole hills. Sanchez is the least of our worries. I agree, Sanchez offers no hope for this fan base down the road, none. Unless of course, Pace drafts a QB this year in the top 3 rounds, then the benefits of Sanchez may become clearer. The guy knows football and will be a benefit to the rookie and Glennon as well to some degree. If that is the case, Sanchez is here for one year. Glennon either proves he's the starter or the rook takes over in year 2. So far Pace has shown that he fills needs in FA and drafts BPA. None of the QB's coming out are ready this year so this changes nothing. Watch Pace pull a rabbit out of his hat and change this desperation to giggles and smiles.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm going to lock this thread, because it's possibly the most depressing thread in a long history of threads.
malk
Head Coach

Frankly I don't believe the QB coach element. We've got actual coaches on the roster, what rookies need are reps and he takes those away.

But I'm likely on the same tack as wab, he represents us being more bothered about having a Plan B to get us to 7 or 8 games rather than 5 or 6. It doesn't make us any more like to win meaningful games in future. If he'd been signed to a three year deal it'd be one thing but he's on the roster for one year when we're likely to be slightly above average at best.

Also, the cheap thing grinds my gears. Each roster has 26 "starters" (the 4 extra are TE2/WR4, nickleback, K, P). Of the 27 remaining players every team has a bunch of backups that are a good amount above the vet exception level on short term deals. For us we're not actually too bad, you're looking at Unrein, Kush, McManis, Jones, Wright, Compton and Sanchez. But even then they eat up at least $6m in cap space over what the vet exception players (or rookies) would get. I'm not sure how much value they really have over the cheaper player but on an annual basis I'd rather have the other guys plus either a $6m starter or even better upgrading an existing starter to a top end player.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

On the plus side, as well, when you bring in a hated figure to be backup QB, you don't have to worry about idiots always wanting to play the backup the moment something goes wrong.

That would be reason #3.

I am done with this, he is the backup, backups suck in the nfl plain and simple and he is one of the best of the suck.
Funkster
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: backups suck in the nfl plain and simple and he is one of the best of the suck.
This is perfectly worded!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so .... a lot of discussion on this ... and I wonder if signing Sanchez was just a hedge bet in case Pace couldn't get Trubisky?

because if after he signed Glennon he knew he was going to draft his guy for the future, then why sign Butt Fumble?

my guess is that even though he did an excellent job keeping his draft surprise a secret, he wasn't 100% sure it would happen ... that said, I still think signing Sanchez was a mistake

now I hope Sanchez just becomes an uninteresting footnote in regards to money spent poorly as Trubisky does well enough in training camp to win the #2 job and Dirty Sanchez moves along to piss off a different team's fanbase
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nice read on Sanchez

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... olumn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..."his greatest value comes in the tutoring of Trubisky. Take the real estate advice Sanchez recently gave the rookie, who was house-shopping in Lake Forest.

"Don't buy anything,'' Sanchez said, relating what he told Trubisky. "He's not married. He doesn't have any kids. You don't need a five-bedroom place for all your buddies to live in. You're 22. By 27, you could have, if you go with your impulses, bought and sold 10 houses. That's the stupidest thing you can do unless you're some real-estate mogul. Get yourself a two-bedroom apartment and if you want more responsibility, get a dog.''

Word is, Trubisky listened well enough to be seeking an apartment closer to 1920 Football Drive.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Many similarities between Sanchez and Trubisky.

- Both drafted in top 5 from major college school.
- Both sat for 3 years and drew criticism for too few NCAA starts (Sanchez 16)
- Both drafted into major markets.

A key difference... Sanchez was annointed the starter before his first TC.

Over time, I place less value on players mentoring other players, since they compete with one another. Putting myself in Sanchez's spot, I wouldn't be very forthcoming with helping another guy keep me on the bench. Still, that article says he mentored Dak Prescott in Dallas and is filling that role here. Assuming that, Sanchez brings significant value to the Bears.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the best possible value Butt Fumble could bring to the Bears would be a conditional 6th round draft pick in his trade to the now QB hobbled Dolphins

of course for that to happen, the Dolphins would have to be interested
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:the best possible value Butt Fumble could bring to the Bears would be a conditional 6th round draft pick in his trade to the now QB hobbled Dolphins

I heard that after further examination, Tannehill didn't tear anything.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Boris13c wrote:the best possible value Butt Fumble could bring to the Bears would be a conditional 6th round draft pick in his trade to the now QB hobbled Dolphins

I heard that after further examination, Tannehill didn't tear anything.

there is a thread on Tannehill in the Around the NFL Forum

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=11539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
Mister.magoo
Rookie

malk wrote:Frankly I don't believe the QB coach element. We've got actual coaches on the roster, what rookies need are reps and he takes those away.

But I'm likely on the same tack as wab, he represents us being more bothered about having a Plan B to get us to 7 or 8 games rather than 5 or 6. It doesn't make us any more like to win meaningful games in future. If he'd been signed to a three year deal it'd be one thing but he's on the roster for one year when we're likely to be slightly above average at best.

Also, the cheap thing grinds my gears. Each roster has 26 "starters" (the 4 extra are TE2/WR4, nickleback, K, P). Of the 27 remaining players every team has a bunch of backups that are a good amount above the vet exception level on short term deals. For us we're not actually too bad, you're looking at Unrein, Kush, McManis, Jones, Wright, Compton and Sanchez. But even then they eat up at least $6m in cap space over what the vet exception players (or rookies) would get. I'm not sure how much value they really have over the cheaper player but on an annual basis I'd rather have the other guys plus either a $6m starter or even better upgrading an existing starter to a top end player.
Spot on. Roster spots are for players not coaches.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mister.magoo wrote:
every year, every team's fans say this, but for some reason, teams always keep a veteran qb around. it feels like the greatest disconnect in football.
malk
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:Nice read on Sanchez

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... olumn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..."his greatest value comes in the tutoring of Trubisky. Take the real estate advice Sanchez recently gave the rookie, who was house-shopping in Lake Forest.

"Don't buy anything,'' Sanchez said, relating what he told Trubisky. "He's not married. He doesn't have any kids. You don't need a five-bedroom place for all your buddies to live in. You're 22. By 27, you could have, if you go with your impulses, bought and sold 10 houses. That's the stupidest thing you can do unless you're some real-estate mogul. Get yourself a two-bedroom apartment and if you want more responsibility, get a dog.''

Word is, Trubisky listened well enough to be seeking an apartment closer to 1920 Football Drive.
Makes no difference to the Bears but I already like Sanchez more reading that!
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mister.magoo wrote:
every year, every team's fans say this, but for some reason, teams always keep a veteran qb around. it feels like the greatest disconnect in football.
It sure seems that way and chances are I'm totally wrong about it. Still, non guaranteed contracts make people not want to take risks so it might just be herd mentality.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

wab
Mod

Sanchez wasn't signed for his football skills guys. There's a reason he keeps getting jobs. He's a good dude/teammate who's willing to mentor someone. Just because he's not good at football on the field doesn't mean he's not good at football off the field.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:Sanchez wasn't signed for his football skills guys. There's a reason he keeps getting jobs. He's a good dude/teammate who's willing to mentor someone. Just because he's not good at football on the field doesn't mean he's not good at football off the field.
He's clearly here as a mentor. Must be a reason for it. The fact that he's not incompetent (he's certainly a below average bordering on poor, but not incompetent) is icing, I guess.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:Sanchez wasn't signed for his football skills guys. There's a reason he keeps getting jobs. He's a good dude/teammate who's willing to mentor someone. Just because he's not good at football on the field doesn't mean he's not good at football off the field.
I'm flogging a dead horse but this absolutely cannot be the best way to do that. What are the odds that the best mentor for a young QB also happens to be one of the 50 or 60 guys in the world who are borderline NLF starters? And is a mentor worth more than vet min?

Absolutely I place more of a premium on cap management than Pace does (by far his biggest failing so far IMO), and this isn't one of the most egregious examples, but $2m of cap space and a valuable roster spot on someone who brings absolutely nothing on the field isn't a great look no matter how good a mentor they might be.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

malk wrote:
I'm flogging a dead horse but this absolutely cannot be the best way to do that. What are the odds that the best mentor for a young QB also happens to be one of the 50 or 60 guys in the world who are borderline NLF starters? And is a mentor worth more than vet min?

Absolutely I place more of a premium on cap management than Pace does (by far his biggest failing so far IMO), and this isn't one of the most egregious examples, but $2m of cap space and a valuable roster spot on someone who brings absolutely nothing on the field isn't a great look no matter how good a mentor they might be.
Confidence for a QB is similar to that of a baseball pitcher. The pitcher has slumps when his confidence flags and his ball placement starts to wander and he can't get his own brain out of the way of his arm.

As a player, no matter how much of a relationship you have with a coach, there is a difference between a coach telling how to do something and another player showing you how to do something. The coach knows all the little nuances that he can teach you, but that vet knows all those nuances too, and he's also thrown the same bad passes as you are now and he can talk through what he saw at the time and why its a bad throw vs a good read.

I guess its the difference between knowing your dad, and knowing your brother who you grew up with. Which is actually a good analogy because you don't want a spoiled little QB who knows he can get away with stuff because there's no one else.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!