*sigh* QB Mark Sanchez signs 1-year deal w/ Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I'm pretty sure the Bears are just going to abstain from the whole draft at this point.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Image

um ..... yay?

seriously, I now have absolutely no idea what the plans for this team really are, or even if they have a plan

1 thing I know for absolute certainty - if your plan includes the signing of, and accolades for, Mark Sanchez, then you do not adequately understand what the word "plan" means nor have a grasp of the concept of one

:frustrated:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

I think the plan is pretty well spelled out.

1. Turnover the roster with "their" players via the draft.
2. Build a top 5 defense.
3. Rely on a strong running game.
4. Protect the football on offense.
5. Use FA to fill positions of needs on short term contracts.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:I think the plan is pretty well spelled out.

I'd say this is pretty spot on.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

if that is truly their plan, then :thumbsup:

I simply find it hard to stomach Mark Sanchez as part of the implementation of that plan :sick:

here's to hoping Glennon establishes himself as the #1 and is healthy all year :toast:
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Agree..

Transitional year (years !)..

Just get it done while I am still alive :)
britbear
Player of the Month

Like most of you I just don't get any of this. Pace said in Jan that he understood the importance of sorting out the QB position. He also said no stone would be left unturned. And he said he was looking for a QB that would elevate the program.

Glennon may be that man, but who can know for sure when the guy hasn't started for 2 years?

Sanchez is ABSOLUTELY NOT that man. Not even close.

Step forward Connor Shaw. Could you be that guy? Really? No, thought not.

Then we have the fact that the Bears sent everyone who's someone in the organisation to Clemson to see Watson. And now they're looking to have a closer look at Kizer. Is this all a smoke screen?

I don't know... I'm reserving judgement until after the draft. But come January will we look back on the day Pace signed Sanchez as the day he lost his job?
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
docc
Head Coach

Mahomes in round 2 ?
Funkster
MVP

Sanchez is the back up QB, period. For the life of me, I can't understand the freak out!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
britbear
Player of the Month

Funkster wrote:Sanchez is the back up QB, period. For the life of me, I can't understand the freak out!
Because Pace is on record saying that he believes in drafting a QB each draft, but has not done so. So with the #3 and #36 picks in his hand, most of us assumed that he would go QB with one of those. But if Glennon is the anointed starter and Sanchez is the back up, where does that leave any rookie? The fear is that Pace is done at QB for 2017 and there will be no rookie.

This for a franchise that has lost its #1 WR and its QB, is coming off a 3-13 season and is desperate for a marquee name it can pin its hopes for the future on.

Pace and Fox said 3-13 would not happen again. Sure thing. Feels like they're aiming for 2-14!
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:Sanchez is the back up QB, period. For the life of me, I can't understand the freak out!
Sanchez is proven shit. Absolute, categorical, turd.

We're paying him more than the minimum.

This is fucking stupid.

I liked Pace because his drafting has been decent but I'm now at the stage where I don't think he understands what it takes to build an NFL team. He doesn't understand contract value in the new contract era and that's just fatal.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
docc
Head Coach

Sancheese ??
Funkster
MVP

This draft is so mixed on which QB's are top 10. I see no problem securing the QB position for a season. See what QB Pace drafts and go from there. Pace saying he knows the importance of a franchise QB and getting that position right and the moves he has made toward that, shows me he has a plan and a style of QB he wants for the long term. If that means waiting a season or two until that QB becomes available is fine by me. The win now and bandaiding problems is what got the Bears into this positions.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Good list. But you missed the biggest one of all.

6. Get rid of malcontents and guys who aren't on board with the program, no matter how good they play.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:

Good list. But you missed the biggest one of all.

6. Get rid of malcontents and guys who aren't on board with the program, no matter how good they play.
What about:

7. Fill said position of need with the worst active QB in the league at above minimum salary.
8. Take away practice snaps from developmental QBs to ensure the worst active QB is ready to be awful and not regress to worse than awful.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Funkster
MVP

Or how about Sanchez has 72 starts under his belt and playoff experience. Or how about he could mentor developmental QB.
malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:Or how about Sanchez has 72 starts under his belt and playoff experience. Or how about he could mentor developmental QB.
62 of which were by mere virtue of him being a 1st round draft pick, or do you think the Jets kept starting him to miss throws, throw interceptions and waste their defence?

But that mentoring ability will come in handy for Shaw who will get virtually zero snaps as the 3rd stringer. Sanchez will show him just how to hold a clipboard.

Funkster
MVP

malk wrote:
Funkster wrote:Or how about Sanchez has 72 starts under his belt and playoff experience. Or how about he could mentor developmental QB.
62 of which were by mere virtue of him being a 1st round draft pick, or do you think the Jets kept starting him to miss throws, throw interceptions and waste their defence?

But that mentoring ability will come in handy for Shaw who will get virtually zero snaps as the 3rd stringer. Sanchez will show him just how to hold a clipboard.
For a minute there I thought you were talking about Cutler.

If you think a back up or a player like Shaw just holds a "clipboard" you're very misinformed.
G08
Hall of Famer

A 3rd stringer like Shaw gets 0 reps in practice -- none.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

Shaw literally gets paid to hold a clipboard (iPad) and that's it. He shows the starter coverages when he comes to the sideline. He gets no reps. Not a single one during the regular season.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I don't see how you can think it's smart to have retread and young QBs without a top tier WR and right now it looks like Pace is arrogant enough to think he can draft one or already did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Funkster
MVP

Just because you're not taking practice snaps doesn't mean you're just holding a clipboard. These guys have to prep just like the starters. I would really like to see some of you learn a play book and spit out verbiage.
docc
Head Coach

The Sanceese future..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

britbear wrote:
Because Pace is on record saying that he believes in drafting a QB each draft, but has not done so. So with the #3 and #36 picks in his hand, most of us assumed that he would go QB with one of those. But if Glennon is the anointed starter and Sanchez is the back up, where does that leave any rookie? The fear is that Pace is done at QB for 2017 and there will be no rookie.

This for a franchise that has lost its #1 WR and its QB, is coming off a 3-13 season and is desperate for a marquee name it can pin its hopes for the future on.

Pace and Fox said 3-13 would not happen again. Sure thing. Feels like they're aiming for 2-14!

pretty much

Mr. Butt Fumble being the #2 means he probably will play based on the history of Bears starting QB's

from my perspective, if Glennon goes down or simply can't do the job, I would prefer to have a drafted rookie QB to put out their for on the job training and get some seasoning for taking over in 2018 rather than Sanchez to run a damaged train further off the rails for absolutely no reason
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:Just because you're not taking practice snaps doesn't mean you're just holding a clipboard. These guys have to prep just like the starters. I would really like to see some of you learn a play book and spit out verbiage.
You're missing the point (wilfully I hope). No one is knocking Shaw or the amount of effort it takes just to stay on a roster as a 3rd stringer. What is frustrating is that he'll get no reps to improve as the #3 QB. We're stunting his growth as a young QB for a terrible backup in Sanchez who you think will be useful as a mentor. Is that mentoring more useful than the snaps Shaw would have received as the backup?

I was happy when we signed Hoyer, we were trying to win that season and needed someone who could be relied on to some degree in case Cutler went down. I would have been annoyed with Sanchez then but at least the idea made sense. For next year, are we really bothered about winning if Glennon goes down? To what end, make the playoffs?

If so, fair enough to Pace for ambition but does anyone think that's a reasonable expectation? Is Sanchez the man to keep our playoff push on track if Glennon goes down? If not, then all an experienced backup QB is doing is stunting development and, perhaps hurting our draft stock.

wab
Mod

malk wrote:
Funkster wrote:Just because you're not taking practice snaps doesn't mean you're just holding a clipboard. These guys have to prep just like the starters. I would really like to see some of you learn a play book and spit out verbiage.
You're missing the point (wilfully I hope). No one is knocking Shaw or the amount of effort it takes just to stay on a roster as a 3rd stringer. What is frustrating is that he'll get no reps to improve as the #3 QB. We're stunting his growth as a young QB for a terrible backup in Sanchez who you think will be useful as a mentor. Is that mentoring more useful than the snaps Shaw would have received as the backup?

I was happy when we signed Hoyer, we were trying to win that season and needed someone who could be relied on to some degree in case Cutler went down. I would have been annoyed with Sanchez then but at least the idea made sense. For next year, are we really bothered about winning if Glennon goes down? To what end, make the playoffs?

If so, fair enough to Pace for ambition but does anyone think that's a reasonable expectation? Is Sanchez the man to keep our playoff push on track if Glennon goes down? If not, then all an experienced backup QB is doing is stunting development and, perhaps hurting our draft stock.
He's also missing the most obvious point...that if the Bears do indeed draft a QB at some point during the draft, Shaw will be gone...and the rookie will get exactly zreo meaningful reps and won't really be involved in the game plan enough to actually be useful.

If people want to point to Sanchez being a a mentor to Dak, well Dak only got meaningful reps because Romo went down.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

docc wrote:Image

The Sanceese future..
I'd eat there...
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
malk wrote:

He's also missing the most obvious point...that if the Bears do indeed draft a QB at some point during the draft, Shaw will be gone...and the rookie will get exactly zreo meaningful reps and won't really be involved in the game plan enough to actually be useful.

If people want to point to Sanchez being a a mentor to Dak, well Dak only got meaningful reps because Romo went down.
We're back to rooting for Pace to cut FA he signed this offseason because we know we can't win with the guys he signed.
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

maybe Dirty Sanchez was brought in only as camp fodder to demonstrate to Glennon what not to do? or does his 1 year deal contain too much $$$ to prevent that from being a true scenario (and the BEST scenario IMO)?
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:this tells me that mike glennon is on the hot seat already. this team moves fast, i like it.

if Mike Glennon is feeling pressured with Butt Fumble as #2 behind him, then he is NOT the quarterback we want as #1

now if the pressure is because he was told "see who your backup is? don't get hurt", then I can understand it
George Carlin