Pace: Deiondre Hall, Kyle Fuller may move to safety

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/2 ... to-safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan Pace only signed one free agent safety this offseason, Quinten Demps, but he sees the potential for growth at the position from within the roster. He instead signed two starting-caliber cornerbacks in free agency and might be moving at least one of his others at the position to the back end.

At the NFL’s league meetings in Arizona, Pace spoke to the media and revealed that the team has been talking to Deiondre’ Hall about playing safety, and he admitted that Kyle Fuller could also be an option at the position, according to Adam Hoge of WGN Radio.

Hall has some experience at safety from his time at Northern Iowa, and he has the natural skillset and size for the position at 6-foot-2, 201 pounds. The bigger issue may be his availability, as he was arrested this past weekend and charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

Fuller is a little bit smaller at 6-foot, 190 pounds, but he has great ball skills and range to be able to play the position. His best plays seem to be when he’s in zone coverage with his eyes on the quarterback, and that’s exactly what he would be doing most often at free safety.

This is the sort of information that Pace strategically reveals now to let other teams around the league know that he doesn’t feel like he has to take a safety in the 2017 NFL Draft.

He’s keeping his options open at the position, but moving on or both of Fuller and Hall to safety also isn’t going to prevent him from taking one as early as third-overall at the end of April.
wab
Mod

Well good. We need 12 safeties on the roster.
Bulldog Turner
Rookie

It didn't sound like they were going to try Fuller at safety, he said he liked him outside and that he was a corner but he could play safety. He said they were going to try Hall at safety.
Bulldog Turner
Rookie

Here's the interview:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

It sounded less likely for Fuller, since he said he only liked Fuller outside. He also didn't sound too negative about the Deiondre' incident.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So Bush and/or DHC stand a good chance of not being on the 53. Depending on how things go, paces drafting might be fairly poor.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I hated the Bush pick. His senior year was awful. Though, he actually made a play on the ball one time. And for a Bears safety, I mean wow.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:So Bush and/or DHC stand a good chance of not being on the 53. Depending on how things go, paces drafting might be fairly poor.
Missing on one of three Day 3 picks isn't a big deal (especially if it's just a 6th going to PS for a couple years).

Although I did and still do think 3 Day 3 DBs in the same draft was a bit of overkill.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Well good. We need 12 safeties on the roster.

13 once they draft the kid from LSU
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It's either draft-related smokescreen or a move to get the best DBs on the field as much as possible. It may also be a move to get rid of Amos because he committed the mortal sin of being drafted by a previous GM.
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:It's either draft-related smokescreen or a move to get the best DBs on the field as much as possible. It may also be a move to get rid of Amos because he committed the mortal sin of being drafted by a previous GM.
maybe we've got some kind of elaborate oldboy-esque situation going on here. like emery somehow wronged pace decades ago and this is his revenge.
ysleblanc
MVP

At this point, I don't see why they would move anybody from CB to S when corner is a bigger need right now.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:It's either draft-related smokescreen or a move to get the best DBs on the field as much as possible. It may also be a move to get rid of Amos because he committed the mortal sin of being drafted by a previous GM.
maybe we've got some kind of elaborate oldboy-esque situation going on here. like emery somehow wronged pace decades ago and this is his revenge.
Pace working on his draft board

xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Pace working on his draft board

shit's going to get really ugly when it's just kyle long left
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:At this point, I don't see why they would move anybody from CB to S when corner is a bigger need right now.
After the FA additions I disagree. There is legit competition at CB while meanwhile the safety "competition" is between Amos and HJQ. And Demps is kinda old

CB1 - Cooper
CB2 - Amukamura/Porter/Fuller
CB3 - Callahan
CB4 - LeBlanc? Glenn?

S1 - Demps
S2 - Amos/HJQ
S3 - Prosinski?
S4 - ?
xyt in the discord chats
ysleblanc
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:At this point, I don't see why they would move anybody from CB to S when corner is a bigger need right now.
After the FA additions I disagree. There is legit competition at CB while meanwhile the safety "competition" is between Amos and HJQ. And Demps is kinda old

CB1 - Cooper
CB2 - Amukamura/Porter/Fuller
CB3 - Callahan
CB4 - LeBlanc? Glenn?

S1 - Demps
S2 - Amos/HJQ
S3 - Prosinski?
S4 - ?
By signing two veterans, it likely means Porter is gone. You open up the spots 3-4 to competition Fuller Hall Callahan Glenn LeBlanc.

I would draft a safety #3 overall, Hooker is an impact player.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

See my sig RE the Porter note

And for the rest... did you just change your mind or am I confused? You say CB is a bigger need but draft a Safety at #3? Are you saying "cb is a bigger need because we have Hooker and Demps at safety" ?
xyt in the discord chats
ysleblanc
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:See my sig RE the Porter note

And for the rest... did you just change your mind or am I confused? You say CB is a bigger need but draft a Safety at #3? Are you saying "cb is a bigger need because we have Hooker and Demps at safety" ?

I think if you draft a S at 3, that's a permanent fix. Demps HJQ and Amos can handle SS for now. safety paly was not terrible like at CB, just need more plays made...I believe Amukamara only has a 1 year deal. cooper could be a permanent fix, or not...
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't think safety is going to be a high pick for us...

Demps
Amos/Hall
Bush
DHC

That's a lot of dudes.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think Safety is the only position where I couldn't say who Pace wants to be the starters. Do you think he likes Amos enough that he's comfortable with penciling him as Week 1 starter? Or he likes Hall's college safety tape enough?

I think Unrein and Amos are the starters who they will try to replace.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:I think Safety is the only position where I couldn't say who Pace wants to be the starters. Do you think he likes Amos enough that he's comfortable with penciling him as Week 1 starter? Or he likes Hall's college safety tape enough?

As someone else mentioned, Amos committed a mortal sin by being drafted by Emery. So his time is short. Even though I think he's a starting caliber safety.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:I think Safety is the only position where I couldn't say who Pace wants to be the starters. Do you think he likes Amos enough that he's comfortable with penciling him as Week 1 starter? Or he likes Hall's college safety tape enough?

As someone else mentioned, Amos committed a mortal sin by being drafted by Emery. So his time is short. Even though I think he's a starting caliber safety.
I'm 0 for 1 today but wasn't Amos drafted under the Pace regime?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Dammit I wasted my cool "mortal sin" quip on Amos and he WAS drafted by Pace. :(

Still he's a fifth rounder so he's probably targeted to be replaced?
xyt in the discord chats
malk
Head Coach

Demps and Amos are our starters at safety. I'm happy with that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

My draft game is off these days. Too much real life shit going on.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

Lol shit
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:As someone else mentioned, Amos committed a mortal sin by being drafted by Emery. So his time is short. Even though I think he's a starting caliber safety.
Yep. Rookie year was 2015.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it feels like amos has been here, solid yet unspectacular, for longer.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

RustyTrombone wrote:it feels like amos has been here, solid yet unspectacular, for longer.
Loved his hit on Cole Beasley in the Cowboys game a year ago though. Sure it was just one play, but that was legit. :)
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So the Bears don't draft a corner, but a FS.

So this was bull shit draft talk right?