Most painful Bears loss of all time

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

CRM 114
Journeyman

What was the most painful Bears loss of all time? For me it was the NFC Championship game ago at the Packers. To lose to the Packers on that big of a stage was heartbreaking. To see them go on to win the Super Bowl was the nail in the coffin.

What about you?
UOK
Site Admin

That game is going to take the cake for many, especially those who were dying for a concrete reason to justify their Cutler hatred.

That game and the Week 17 loss to the Packers thanks to Chris Conte will always sting.

Last year's loss to the Bucs was such a massive disappointment. Like it was a season-ending experience that made me feel furious with disgust.

Losing to the Eagles in 2001 was bullshit. Hugh Douglas is a dirty pile of crap.

Losing Super Bowl XLI was easily the worst, though. That was one of the most amazing seasons of football I've ever watched and to have it end like THAT, just...ugh. I can't watch footage from it. It's #1 with a bullet.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:That game is going to take the cake for many, especially those who were dying for a concrete reason to justify their Cutler hatred.

That game and the Week 17 loss to the Packers thanks to Chris Conte will always sting.

Last year's loss to the Bucs was such a massive disappointment. Like it was a season-ending experience that made me feel furious with disgust.

Losing to the Eagles in 2001 was bullshit. Hugh Douglas is a dirty pile of crap.

Losing Super Bowl XLI was easily the worst, though. That was one of the most amazing seasons of football I've ever watched and to have it end like THAT, just...ugh. I can't watch footage from it. It's #1 with a bullet.
A loaded God complex, cock it and pull it?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:That game is going to take the cake for many, especially those who were dying for a concrete reason to justify their Cutler hatred.

A loaded God complex, cock it and pull it?
UOK
Site Admin

Damn you people.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

It was the monsoon game of 19dickity3, on the eve of the pagan Holliday "Halloween". I was 4 years from Manhood, or 9 years of age. I lived in the land of the cheese. I witness a satanic sacrifice live, on the moving picture screen. This is when the packers of Green Bay started their unholy rise to prominence. It was the blood of the sacrifice, and allegiance to the Prince of Darkness, that fueled this rise.

Seriously though. It was the turning point. I could go to school and the puke fans didn't say shit. It was that game they hit the cahones to talk shit. I never mentioned the numerous games before, or the occasional game after. They however changed, on the back of a demon named Favre. They got bold. I wore my holy water in the form of a starter jacket and continues to fight the beast at every turn.
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
IotaNet
MVP

The week 17 loss to GB is the worst for me. We had them 4th and what? 8? And to have it end that way, I'm still sick and PO'ed about it.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
dplank
Hall of Famer

Darryl Green punt return playoff loss.

And...umm...Super Bowl loss to the Colts.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The NFC championship game wasn't fun either.

Or the only Bear packer game I ever went to, in Lambo dec 2002. Roosevelt Williams gets a hail Mary int returning it to the 10, when RW Mcquarters didn't block a packer who makes the tackle. That would have sealed the game at half time. They were both so slow. The packers come back to win. Beer was thrown at me, a guy wanted to fight me. Not a good one either.
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I remember that week 17 game like it was yesterday. We led the entire damn game until that play. I don't know if it was just the Alaska feed, but the scroller on the bottom the screen showed it happened before it happened on tv. Holy Christmas I was livid.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Sweetness. Pains me every time I think of such a great guy having to suffer through such a terrible disease at such a young age.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Wounded Bear
MVP

I think the all-time low for me is the Minnesota Viking game at the dome where we were about to score on their goal line, but Shane Matthews got sacked and fumbled the ball and mother f***in' Dwayne Rudd ran it all the way back, but stopped a few yards before the goal line and slow walked it in. Absolutely humiliating.

I really didn't mind the Vikings that much prior to that moment, but I have hated them ever since.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richie
MVP

CRM 114 wrote:What was the most painful Bears loss of all time? For me it was the NFC Championship game ago at the Packers. To lose to the Packers on that big of a stage was heartbreaking. To see them go on to win the Super Bowl was the nail in the coffin.

What about you?
In no specific order...

SB XLI
NFC Championship Game vs Green Bay
Tebow loss in 2011
2013 "winner take all" Week 17 game vs Green Bay

In general, the end of the 2011 season just devastated me, as much or worse than any individual loss. It is my opinion, that they were the best team the Bears had since the 80's. The D was playing as good as it ever had under the Lovie era, Cutler was playing his best football and the offense had scored 30+ in five straight wins. The way Cutler and Forte went down, right as it was all starting to click. Then, the ugliness that was Caleb Hanie... :sick: ... it's the stuff of nightmares man. The D held KC and Denver to 10 f'ing points each game in regulation, in back-to-back weeks. That hapless sack still couldn't pull off a victory. That loss to Tebow still gives me nausea.

Other than that, I wasn't around for the 80's. The 90's rarely saw us in a situation to suffer a "devastating loss"... as we just flat out stunk. I suppose the Philly and Carolina playoff losses in the 2000's weren't fun... but... we had those coming. Outplayed by the better team.
Last edited by Richie on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:I think the all-time low for me is the Minnesota Viking game at the dome where we were about to score on their goal line, but Shane Matthews got sacked and fumbled the ball and mother f***in' Dwayne Rudd ran it all the way back, but stopped a few yards before the goal line and slow walked it in. Absolutely humiliating.

I really didn't mind the Vikings that much prior to that moment, but I have hated them ever since.
That f'ing dome played host to a lot of pain for Bears fans. All the way down to the final game there. Blowing a 20-10 lead in the final minutes. Gould missing the GW kick in OT, after Trestman decided to kick a 47 yard field goal on 2nd down. Despite the fact that Forte was moving the chains at will that drive leading up to it.

We didn't just lose in that building... we found ways to make it an art form.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Fuck the Tebow game. I told a friend, "If Tebow wins this game, it would have to be devine intervention".
Richie
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:Fuck the Tebow game. I told a friend, "If Tebow wins this game, it would have to be devine intervention".
Almost exactly my words with my cousin, with whom I was watching that game with.

We were talking about how terrible he was, when we were up 10-0 with 2 minutes left. We were like... "Okay, if he wins THIS game. God really might be playing for the Broncos... I'll admit it!"

What then ensued was the most sickening two minutes and overtime of a Bears game that I can remember.

Marion Barber can rot in football hell for that, my god.

1st: Barber runs out of bounds with one minute left on third down, when Denver had no timeouts. Allowing them to get the ball back with a full minute, opposed to 12-15 seconds if we run the full play clock and punt.

2nd: Bears in field goal range in OT... Barber is stripped of the ball and fumbles

I mean, it's hard to put it ahead of playoff losses, but f'n a... I definitely have not been more utterly furious at the Bears before. I had about a 40 minute drive home after, and I couldn't bare the post-game show or music. I just sat in silence, fuming.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Richie wrote: We didn't just lose in that building... we found ways to make it an art form.
Week 5, 1992... Bears are 2-2 heading toward the bye week with a 20-0 lead in the 4th quarter... then Harbaugh audibles to an out which is picked and returned 35 yards for a TD... followed by two more TDs and a 21-20 loss that changed the landscape of the season... Bears won 3 more games that year...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Fuck the Tebow game. I told a friend, "If Tebow wins this game, it would have to be devine intervention".
Lovie "divinely" running the prevent defense with 3 minutes left in the game, letting that lame duck throwing "winner" complete underneath stuff all the way into the end zone. Followed by Marion Barber divinely running out of bounds and sparing them time. Followed by Matt Prater divinely kicking a 59 yard FG to tie the game... I wanted to throw up I was so angry...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I know these games were not significant like the NFC championship or Super Bowl but I just struggle to fully grasp watching the Bears give up 50+ points in back to back games...

It's something I really never would have thought I would ever see. Even in his worst seasons Lovie's teams never gave up 50 points... even bumbling Dick Jauron, who had only 2 non double digit loss seasons, didn't give 50 as many times as Trestman did in two seasons...

But to me, the toughest stretch of being a Bears fan would be those two games... watching Gronk get away with push offs while they were already up multiple touchdowns (I don't care what anyone says that dude gets away with damn near murder over the middle of the field, then the commentators rave about his explosiveness) and then the topper was watching our big FA signing finally get a sack and then blow out his knee over celebrating down by 30 plus points...

The bye week brought relief.... only to follow it up with one of the most humiliating games I have ever seen... Rodgers throws 6 TDs in the first half of a prime time game... one of the very few times I have actually turned a game off before the end... watching the team quit was about as sickening as watching Tebow "lead" his comeback... like I said I know they weren't significant because the Bears were in no position to go anywhere but these two games were pretty much what secured that Emery and Trestman were gonna be gone by the end of that season...
Richie
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:I know these games were not significant like the NFC championship or Super Bowl but I just struggle to fully grasp watching the Bears give up 50+ points in back to back games...

It's something I really never would have thought I would ever see. Even in his worst seasons Lovie's teams never gave up 50 points... even bumbling Dick Jauron, who had only 2 non double digit loss seasons, didn't give 50 as many times as Trestman did in two seasons...

But to me, the toughest stretch of being a Bears fan would be those two games... watching Gronk get away with push offs while they were already up multiple touchdowns (I don't care what anyone says that dude gets away with damn near murder over the middle of the field, then the commentators rave about his explosiveness) and then the topper was watching our big FA signing finally get a sack and then blow out his knee over celebrating down by 30 plus points...

The bye week brought relief.... only to follow it up with one of the most humiliating games I have ever seen... Rodgers throws 6 TDs in the first half of a prime time game... one of the very few times I have actually turned a game off before the end... watching the team quit was about as sickening as watching Tebow "lead" his comeback... like I said I know they weren't significant because the Bears were in no position to go anywhere but these two games were pretty much what secured that Emery and Trestman were gonna be gone by the end of that season...
Yeah, that was definitely a huge low point in recent Bears history. That 2014 season was so unacceptable... on so many f'ing levels. That team was utterly spineless. They had so many problems, that I really cannot fathom how Trestman even finished out the year as Head Coach. Then benching Jay for Clausen... like that's his big "last stand". With two games left in a 5-11 season. What a disconnected guy...
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

BamaBear09 wrote:
watching Gronk get away with push offs ... (I don't care what anyone says that dude gets away with damn near murder ......
As opposed to the other star Patriots TE... who doesn't.
wab
Mod

The NFC championship was a tough one...but losing the divisional game to the Niners in the playoffs back in 94 was probably the most painful one to me...because even though I'd been a fan since the 85 Super Bowl (I was 7)...high school in mid nineties was the dawn of my ravaging football fandom. So I vividly remember the sting of the first loss that I really cared about.

But last season...losing all those games on missed field goals was pretty gut wrenching as a whole.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

there have been so many painful Bears losses over the years I've been a fan ... hard to choose the most painful of all time ... several games I attended growing up were pretty painful to watch, but those Bears teams weren't that good in the first place ... so I guess games with playoff ramifications would trump those

my top 3 (or bottom 3 I guess) :

* NFC Playoff Games 1987 & 1988 - Bears playing at home and losing to the goddamed Redskins 2 years in a row ... thought I'd never hear the end of it from my Foreskins fan co-workers ... 1988 was the injured Darryl Green punt return TD game

* final game of regular season 2010 - Bears at Goon Bay and if they beat the Packers, they clinch the NFC North AND eliminate Goon Bay from the playoffs ... instead they did absolutely nothing, not even looking as if they were interested in playing ... this win allowed the Packers the chance to show up in Soldier Field and beat the Bears for the NFC Championship (the Cutler Knee-Gate game)

* final game of regular season 2013 - the Chris Conte game ... bad tidings happened earlier on an Aaron Rodgers fumble no Bears player had the common sense to fall on and handed Goon Bay a walk in TD ... they came back from that only to have Chris Conte freeze like a deer in the headlights to end it all for them and send the Packers into the playoffs
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Nanky
Journeyman

For me it was losing the Super Bowl to Indy. Those opportunities don't come along very often and it was very much a winnable game. It just seemed that team was destined to win it all that year. I just remember being pissed off and extremely drunk by half time.
UOK
Site Admin

Nanky wrote:For me it was losing the Super Bowl to Indy. Those opportunities don't come along very often and it was very much a winnable game. It just seemed that team was destined to win it all that year. I just remember being pissed off and extremely drunk by half time.
I have no idea how this isn't more people's answer. Newer fans I'd understand, but I mean I was heartbroken. It hurt so bad to lose that damn game.

The Packers game in 2011 NFCC game was crushing, sure, but it pales to getting to the show and losing.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Nanky wrote:For me it was losing the Super Bowl to Indy. Those opportunities don't come along very often and it was very much a winnable game. It just seemed that team was destined to win it all that year. I just remember being pissed off and extremely drunk by half time.
I have no idea how this isn't more people's answer. Newer fans I'd understand, but I mean I was heartbroken. It hurt so bad to lose that damn game.

it was disappointing to be sure, but for some reason it wasn't as painful to me as other Bears losses .... maybe because by the middle of the 3rd quarter, I had accepted the Bears strategy and effort was not up to the task ... I was simply getting more and more pissed off as the game wore on ... that was a very winnable game I chalk up to the Bears simply giving it away ... so anger rather than pain ruled the day for me

so if there is a thread about the Bears game that made you so pissed off you wanted to punch/maim/kill someone, that would be my game
Last edited by Boris13c on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:

The Packers game in 2011 NFCC game was crushing, sure, but it pales to getting to the show and losing.
I think it's because I had grown pessimistic as a fan. I had already prepared myself for the loss. It was a weird feeling watching that game. There wasn't a whole lot of joy and excitement. It was like being a kid and watching a scary movie with a pillow in front of your face...just peeking out hoping to not see something bad.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

UOK wrote:

Probably because we were the big underdog going in. Peyton Manning in his prime. A win would have been a considerable upset. It hurts more as a fan when you are prepared to win, then lose.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote: * NFC Playoff Games 1987 & 1988 - Bears playing at home and losing to the goddamed Redskins 2 years in a row ... thought I'd never hear the end of it from my Foreskins fan co-workers ... 1988 was the injured Darryl Green punt return TD game
These hurt pretty bad retroactively... this is the peak of the franchise in my lifetime... the last time the Bears were in the playoffs consistently... at the time I figured, "ah, lame get em next year". Little did I know that I would spend the next 20 years before the Bears were even close to sniffing the playoffs, much less another title... and the fact that those mid-80s teams didn't AT LEAST get back to the Super Bowl again is just a flat out shame... that defense deserved to have at least two rings...
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Definitely that Super Bowl lost to the Colts ranks up there (maybe I actually remember it). Hester taking the KO to the house just put me in that mood that it was going to be a good day/game. The D would be good enough to slow down Peyton and the Bears would be effective enough on O.

Then it went into the shitter.

Another loss was the time the 9ers shut the Bears out on MNF, can't remember the game. I believe it was the Ditka gum incident. It was just flat out embarrassing.