Most painful Bears loss of all time

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Conte missed the call because Briggs dumb ass only told the line and not the secondary, so Conte was doing what he was supposed to do for the defense he thought they were in. So he didn't have any over the top help.

proper communication and coordination - that's what separates the good teams from the schmucks, the lack of which gives one's opponent a decided edge
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Briggs had a UofA golf thing here in Tucson recently..

I don't golf and don't Briggs,,

He does got some fat now though..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Briggs had a UofA golf thing here in Tucson recently..

I don't golf and don't Briggs,,

He does got some fat now though..

is he simply eating the inventory his restaurant can't sell?
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
wab wrote:Someone made the wrong check on defense. I think it was Briggs because Bostic wasn't making the calls. It wasn't on Conte but people don't care. He was the one in the spotlight, he took responsibility, so he gets the blame. But it's terribly misplaced.

yeah, conte's just a footnote at best, a punchline at worst, but if he could have stayed healthy he could have maybe been really great. but it's hard to live something like that down. people forget, the year after we lost to the panthers in the nfc championship game, getting roasted by steve smith, how much people hated on charles tillman.
that wasn't Charles Tillman that got roasted by Steve Smith ... it was Chris "Toilet Brush" Thompson
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
wab wrote:Someone made the wrong check on defense. I think it was Briggs because Bostic wasn't making the calls. It wasn't on Conte but people don't care. He was the one in the spotlight, he took responsibility, so he gets the blame. But it's terribly misplaced.

yeah, conte's just a footnote at best, a punchline at worst, but if he could have stayed healthy he could have maybe been really great. but it's hard to live something like that down. people forget, the year after we lost to the panthers in the nfc championship game, getting roasted by steve smith, how much people hated on charles tillman.
that wasn't Charles Tillman that got roasted by Steve Smith ... it was Chris "Toilet Brush" Thompson
http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-pant ... 5-playoffs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

Thompson was covering him on the one that iced the game. But Tillman was on him most of the day.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Troy Aikman is rambling on about how "Steve Smith ran right by him", but what I see on that replay is Steve Smith running over him ... and if the receiver initiates the contact, how is that called on the defender?

wab wrote:Thompson was covering him on the one that iced the game. But Tillman was on him most of the day.
Steve Smith certainly made the Bears his bitches that day ... :frustrated:
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Nanky wrote:For me it was losing the Super Bowl to Indy. Those opportunities don't come along very often and it was very much a winnable game. It just seemed that team was destined to win it all that year. I just remember being pissed off and extremely drunk by half time.

That was a weird and very sloppy game... It honestly felt like both teams just played poorly.

Everything from the opening kickoff and the pouring rain made it all feel so surreal. Multiple turnovers by both teams, Peyton wasn't particularly good, Thomas Jones was running great early on, yet we essentially abandoned the run despite it being a very close game until Rex's pick six.

We were not the better team, but it was certainly a winnable game if a few things didn't break against us. Which is what was frustrating.

I also often wonder what would have happened if Brown and especially Tommie Harris didn't go down. IMO, that was one of the best defense's of all-time if we don't lose those guys.
Richie
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:

i really wish conte could have stayed healthy. :( i mean, look at this shit:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... d-by-Conte" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We lost to Carolina in the Divisional round in 05, not the NFC Title game. They went on to get dominated by Seattle the next week.

Also, the hate was actually largely placed on the coaching staff for refusing to double Smith.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

This one
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

staleystarch wrote:This one
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically right before the dark times began... right before Favre took over...