Bears waive CB Tracy Porter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

Presume he's been injured or is retiring? Harsh way to go otherwise. Wish him all the best.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Answer: Three (two if you consider Hall a safety now)

Question: How many corners are under contract for the 2018 season?
C'mon man that's true of every position group. The Bears haven't been signing long term contracts with anybody so the current 2018 team basically consists of recent draft picks on rookie deals, a handful of recent FA signings, and a couple of old Emery contract that Pace fantasizes about tearing up
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:
G08 wrote:Answer: Three (two if you consider Hall a safety now)

Question: How many corners are under contract for the 2018 season?
C'mon man that's true of every position group. The Bears haven't been signing long term contracts with anybody so the current 2018 team basically consists of recent draft picks on rookie deals, a handful of recent FA signings, and a couple of old Emery contract that Pace fantasizes about tearing up
The point I was trying to drive home was that all the CBs you see on our roster right now really doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to this draft, ya know? The majority of those dudes are gone next season, we need and likely will be drafting fresh blood.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

CB is a position of need if you assume that none of those guys Pace just signed show anything. Why assume that? They're actually relatively respected players unlike, say, our WR group. And our OT group. And our QBs for that matter.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:CB is a position of need if you assume that none of those guys Pace just signed show anything. Why assume that? They're actually relatively respected players unlike, say, our WR group. And our OT group. And our QBs for that matter.
Length of deals, I would say. Cooper is unproven but "ascending" according to Pace. Fuller is an Emery pick and that pretty much means you're a dead man walking unless you're a top tier player (Kyle Long, and some can argue that is no longer the case).

It's Hall, who is moving to safety apparently, Cooper, and LeBlanc under contract for 2018. In a draft as deep as this one is at corner I would be very, very hard pressed to not see the position addressed.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:CB is a position of need if you assume that none of those guys Pace just signed show anything. Why assume that? They're actually relatively respected players unlike, say, our WR group. And our OT group. And our QBs for that matter.
Length of deals, I would say. Cooper is unproven but "ascending" according to Pace. Fuller is an Emery pick and that pretty much means you're a dead man walking unless you're a top tier player (Kyle Long, and some can argue that is no longer the case).

It's Hall, who is moving to safety apparently, Cooper, and LeBlanc under contract for 2018. In a draft as deep as this one is at corner I would be very, very hard pressed to not see the position addressed.
yeah, i mean, our big free agent signings last year were two ilb's... and then we drafted an ILB in the 4th.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

So the theory here is that Pace likes to "flood" position groups and will therefore be drafting the same positions he has already been adding in FA: CB, WR, TE, and QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:So the theory here is that Pace likes to "flood" position groups and will therefore be drafting the same positions he has already been adding in FA: CB, WR, TE, and QB?

I think he tends to target groups that the draft is deep in. Theoretically if the draft is deep in say...corner, by the time the Bears pick in R2, he may have to pick from the 5th or 5th corner, but could still pick from the 2nd or 3rd OT.

Then he targets value picks in later rounds at deep positional groups....like he did with Kawasaki last year.
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:So the theory here is that Pace likes to "flood" position groups and will therefore be drafting the same positions he has already been adding in FA: CB, WR, TE, and QB?

I don't want to say that, but I think he's got a more macro view of our use than we do. I think he uses FA to plug holes and then stays true to his board. If that means an extra corner, so be it. At worst, your FA signing becomes solid depth if the kid beats him out in camp.

I'm still hoping we trade down and draft Watson, then use our extra picks on a pass rusher and corner in round 2.

Carolina to move up from 8 would have to give us their first, #40 and #67 or Pace could ask for a 2018 2nd rounder.

Having #36 and #40 would be awesome in this draft (I LOVE round 2 of NFL drafts).

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm a bit annoyed by this. There's nothing to suggest that any of these guys we signed are better than Tracy Porter--and he's not great or anything. And he's been a model citizen. The only things working against him were his age--he only turns 31 during TC--and his health, which has been inconsistent. Sure, we signed some guys at his position. But it's not like they are going to come in and be world beaters.

Sounds like they brought in young guys and told Tracy it's time to step aside. I wish they'd see if the new guys can beat out our starters before annointing them and finding out later whether they're better or not. :(
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:I'm a bit annoyed by this. There's nothing to suggest that any of these guys we signed are better than Tracy Porter--and he's not great or anything. And he's been a model citizen. The only things working against him were his age--he only turns 31 during TC--and his health, which has been inconsistent. Sure, we signed some guys at his position. But it's not like they are going to come in and be world beaters.

Sounds like they brought in young guys and told Tracy it's time to step aside. I wish they'd see if the new guys can beat out our starters before annointing them and finding out later whether they're better or not. :(
Porter's knees are shot. I'd be willing to bet his NFL career is over. But, it would be nice if he caught on as a QC coach or positional intern.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I'm a bit annoyed by this. There's nothing to suggest that any of these guys we signed are better than Tracy Porter--and he's not great or anything. And he's been a model citizen. The only things working against him were his age--he only turns 31 during TC--and his health, which has been inconsistent. Sure, we signed some guys at his position. But it's not like they are going to come in and be world beaters.

Porter's knees are shot. I'd be willing to bet his NFL career is over. But, it would be nice if he caught on as a QC coach or positional intern.
Was not aware that his knees were that bad. :o I guess we'll see what happens going forward.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:Was not aware that his knees were that bad. :o I guess we'll see what happens going forward.
He had to have them drained every week so he could play.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Was not aware that his knees were that bad. :o I guess we'll see what happens going forward.
That's pretty hardcore! One of my knees is pretty knackered after a lot of cartilage removed from it, it's one thing putting in the effort that causes them to swell but playing after draining the fluid, that's got to be nasty.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

malk wrote:
wab wrote:
That's pretty hardcore! One of my knees is pretty knackered after a lot of cartilage removed from it, it's one thing putting in the effort that causes them to swell but playing after draining the fluid, that's got to be nasty.
Played almost an entire season of basketball on that routine, getting drained on game day. It can be caused by structural issues, or tendinitis.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
Seems someone missed the Washington game where Garcon and Jackson were uncovered almost immediately whenever Porter was lined up opposite them... based on that alone I would rather have Cooper and Amukamara playing... if the Bears hadn't been wracked with injuries at CB, I doubt he would have even been active those last few games...