When Does Trubisky Play?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

After day 1 of rookie camp, I'm getting a gut feeling Trubisky is going to make it very hard for this staff to keep him benched for the season. #getyourpopcorn!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

CubsFan wrote:
I'll never understand why fans and especially owners/GMs/coaches fail to recognize that young QBs need time to develop. They keep getting thrown to the wolves way too early.
Agreed

Let go of the instant gratification mentality.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Two AFC scouts revealed that they had the highest grade on Trubisky that they’d had on any quarterback over the past six years. That means: higher than Jameis Winston; higher than Marcus Mariota; higher than Cam Newton; higher than Russell Wilson; higher than Andrew Luck; higher than Derek Carr; higher than Carson Wentz.

The evaluation of one NFC regional scouting team was that “Trubisky is an almost perfect quarterback prospect” and that 'the Bears should count their lucky stars he only started 13 games because if he was a two-year starter, he goes 1/1 [overall No. 1] without hesitation.”
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
Two AFC scouts revealed that they had the highest grade on Trubisky that they’d had on any quarterback over the past six years. That means: higher than Jameis Winston; higher than Marcus Mariota; higher than Cam Newton; higher than Russell Wilson; higher than Andrew Luck; higher than Derek Carr; higher than Carson Wentz.

The evaluation of one NFC regional scouting team was that “Trubisky is an almost perfect quarterback prospect” and that 'the Bears should count their lucky stars he only started 13 games because if he was a two-year starter, he goes 1/1 [overall No. 1] without hesitation.”
Hey now, I'm a fan..... but let's pump the breaks just a little. Lol
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:

Fuck it, time to put the saltiness behind me, time to unleash the fandom dragon. I'm in!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
G08 wrote:

Fuck it, time to put the saltiness behind me, time to unleash the fandom dragon. I'm in!
Look. There is really no choice at this point. If he fails, the Bears go down in flames for another five years. This is the first legitimate QB draft pick that the Bears have had in a decade. I am going to let my inner meatball shine through on Trubisky. I mean...why the hell not?
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:
G08 wrote:

Look. There is really no choice at this point. If he fails, the Bears go down in flames for another five years. This is the first legitimate QB draft pick that the Bears have had in a decade. I am going to let my inner meatball shine through on Trubisky. I mean...why the hell not?
I was being serious! I think this off season has been an abomination but it's done now so I'm getting my optimism back on.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:
G08 wrote:

I was being serious! I think this off season has been an abomination but it's done now so I'm getting my optimism back on.
So am I! :toast:
G08
Hall of Famer

Don't shoot the messenger!!! :lol:

Still, nice to hear two scouts say that about the kid. I really hope he reaches his ceiling here.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

If people are still being negative about Trubisky then they need to get over it. In my lifetime the Bears haven't had a better chance at a franchise QB. It doesn't matter if he wasn't the guy you wanted, or you think they gave up too much, or any other of the BS that was talked about during the draft. Trubisky is the future of the Bears right now and its time to jump on the bandwagon. If he busts we can all go back to being miserable like we've been the last few years. If he doesn't we may have a franchise QB for the first time ever. if that doesn't get you excited as a fan nothing will.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't know how to feel passionate about the Bears/football in general if I hate the QB.

This kid has, literally, everything I want from an athletic standpoint in a QB. From all accounts he's a good-hearted, team-first dude who isn't afraid to work. What more can you ask for out of a rookie?

Hematite
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:I don't know how to feel passionate about the Bears/football in general if I hate the QB.

This kid has, literally, everything I want from an athletic standpoint in a QB. From all accounts he's a good-hearted, team-first dude who isn't afraid to work. What more can you ask for out of a rookie?
Personally, I just pray Glennon is good enough to start 16 games this year. Give Trubisky 1 more offseason to perfect his craft and learn a pro offense, give Pace 1 more draft to shore up the O-line and possibly WR (Unless White and Meredith take the next step) and any of the other glaring holes on this roster and then hopefully watch Trubisky shine!! He has said and done all the right things and hopefully becomes a fan favorite for many, many years.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote:If people are still being negative about Trubisky then they need to get over it. In my lifetime the Bears haven't had a better chance at a franchise QB. It doesn't matter if he wasn't the guy you wanted, or you think they gave up too much, or any other of the BS that was talked about during the draft. Trubisky is the future of the Bears right now and its time to jump on the bandwagon. If he busts we can all go back to being miserable like we've been the last few years. If he doesn't we may have a franchise QB for the first time ever. if that doesn't get you excited as a fan nothing will.

OK count me in - :transform:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Hematite wrote:
G08 wrote:I don't know how to feel passionate about the Bears/football in general if I hate the QB.

Personally, I just pray Glennon is good enough to start 16 games this year. Give Trubisky 1 more offseason to perfect his craft and learn a pro offense, give Pace 1 more draft to shore up the O-line and possibly WR (Unless White and Meredith take the next step) and any of the other glaring holes on this roster and then hopefully watch Trubisky shine!! He has said and done all the right things and hopefully becomes a fan favorite for many, many years.
Go8 and Hematite I gotta agree with you both.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I can go along with this

there were some Bears QB's who weren't really very good who I actually liked anyway, like Bobby Douglass - the bull in a china shop FB/TE who played QB for the Bears for some time ... never got a lot of high end results but he was entertaining (still pissed Micheal Vick broke his rushing record, though it did take Vick 16 games) ... I also liked Bob Avellini, another "just a guy" type QB who was marginally talented

Cutler was so schizophrenic I could love or hate him multiple different times in the same game ... Grossman was worse in that regard

I'm thinking Trubisky will be a welcome breath of fresh air at the position and someone we can all rally around ... which will be nice
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I wade carefully into the pool of excitement...because I was once super excited about Cade McNown.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

You've been a fan for at least 10 yrs and haven't learned that yet???

That's pages 3-7 of the orientation manual.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:I wade carefully into the pool of excitement...because I was once super excited about Cade McNown.
Wab your a man of brass balls to admit a former Cade crush. ;-)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
You've been a fan for at least 10 yrs and haven't learned that yet???

That's pages 3-7 of the orientation manual.
I've been a fan for 25 years and I am excited for every QB until they beat it out of me after many poor seasons. Even then I don't hate the guy I just want the team to move on. Maybe it's just you.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
wab wrote:I wade carefully into the pool of excitement...because I was once super excited about Cade McNown.
Wab your a man of brass balls to admit a former Cade crush. ;-)
C'mon. The guy pukes coming out of the huddle and wants to keep playing. What's not to like? :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Cade also had a little bit of an arrogant personality trait while he was at UCLA that wasn't in the confident, "I got this" variety. He had a sense of entitlement and rubbed people the wrong way in college and it transferred to the pros. That and he just wasn't talented enough to play in the NFL. I always questioned his size and arm strength and it proved to be something he couldn't overcome.

With Mitch, I sense a guy coming in with a humble, hard working attitude - by all accounts and reports he was loved by his teammates and coaches at UNC. He also has the physical traits to back up the leadership as well - I think these are very different circumstances than McNown. But I do get your point. We're all trained to be cautiously optimistic - we've been burned too many times before.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

Sometimes I see myself on film going back to my old footwork at North Carolina, and that’s just muscle memory,” Trubisky said. “So I’m trying to get rid of those habits and just get into the new footwork, because if I do what I’m coached to do here, I’ll be successful, and that’s what I do. I come out here, I try to be as coachable a player as possible, and it’s all going to come within the offense. So if I stay within the offense, do my job, hopefully good things happen.

"[But] they’re not really messing with [my throwing motion]. It’s more of my footwork. My throwing motion is what it is. I got a quick release and I could throw the ball accurately as long as I bring my feet with me. So that’s what coach says: Do the footwork, bring your feet with you, get through your progression and use your eyes well. So as long as my shoulders are level and I pull through with my hips, the ball should be where it’s supposed to go.”
All the more reason I don't want to rush this kid onto the field.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Cade also had a little bit of an arrogant personality trait while he was at UCLA that wasn't in the confident, "I got this" variety.
a little bit arrogant? he was a total douche in college, and accelerated his douche-ness once the Bears dumped millions in his lap

but, he's the one living on easy street, not us ... so maybe his plan all along was to simply collect a huge payday then simply never do anything else, which included actually playing the game he was being paid to play ... so he gets a thumbs up for being a pretty good con man
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Right now I'm just happy the stories in the press about Trubisky are about learning the playbook and his dedication to practice and not about VIP appearances in nightclubs. Right now I'll take the little things and build up to the big things.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't think attitude or a lack of effort will be an issue with this kid.

I just hope to God we surround him with the best offensive minds we can AND keep them together for the duration of his career.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I don't think attitude or a lack of effort will be an issue with this kid.

I just hope to God we surround him with the best offensive minds we can AND keep them together for the duration of his career.

that is the scariest part of this equation - can the Bears organization get their act together and develop a QB they drafted? last one with success was McMahon ... Harbaugh was on that same path until he got in Ditka's doghouse ... since then, it has been free agents or trades that brought QB's to Chicago, with very mixed results

in Trubisky, they seem to have a good student who has the ability to learn and the abilities to utilize ... and as you pointed out, attitude or lack of effort are not issues ... so they have selected someone who appears to be a very apt QB to nurture and lead into the future

Dear Bears - please don't fuck this up
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Dear Bears - please don't fuck this up
*** looks at history of the franchise ***

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote: Dear Bears - please don't fuck this up
*** looks at history of the franchise ***

~ sigh .... we all know that ... and this article only enforces the history as being the present

The more Mitch Trubisky talks, the dumber the Bears look
The more you listen to Mitch Trubisky, the dumber the Bears sound.

Trubisky doesn’t mean to have it come out stupid. It just does. Because it always seems to come out that way when Bears get involved with quarterbacks.

Trubisky said Tuesday he’s getting snaps with the second string because Mark Sanchez suffered an injury and he might be getting more snaps than before.

Just in case you didn’t think the Bears’ quarterback plan wasn’t the dumbest thing, let’s recap:

Trubisky, the quarterback for whom the Bears stunningly traded up from third overall to second because he apparently has what GM Ryan Pace believes is generational talent, was buried with the third-stringers because the Bears ranked Sanchez, a guy who’s hopeless or useless, take your pick, ahead of him.

That’s some thinking, huh?

But wait. There’s more. Trubisky and Sanchez were slotted behind Mike Glennon, an $18 million placeholder who has thrown 11 passes since 2014 but was declared the starter because, I don’t know, the Bears don’t believe in competing, and their three wins last year might underscore that.

Look, the snaps Trubisky gets now are still fewer than he ever should’ve been getting under this cockamamie plan. Sanchez was never going to play for this team in a game unless the Bears decided to tank for the top draft pick in 2018.

What’s more, if the Bears were going to pay such a premium for a quarterback in the draft, then Glennon shouldn’t have been signed and declared the starter because Glennon was always going to take snaps that had a better future with Trubisky.
I understand Glennon getting more snaps ... he IS the declared starter for 2017 ... no way in hell Butt Fumble should have been

Maybe this plan works out perfectly for the Bears and Trubisky is terrific next season despite plans to prevent him from playing with the adults this season. I’ll concede that possibility, even if I have zero faith it’ll happen because this appears to be a perfect new chapter in this franchise’s storied history at the game’s most important position:

Only the Bears can make the biggest move of the draft to grab a quarterback of the future and then make sure they stunt his present.
I can tell the writer of this article is a true fan because he feels the pain we all have felt, in particular with the QB position ... and because he is expressing the fear we all have that this could all go badly in ways only the Bears can create
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Rosenbloom is kind of a paid troll, ya know? It's a fine line between satire and just being a bitter fuck, and he does a poor job of walking that line, IMO.

Trubisky isn't ready, just like the #1 overall pick last season wasn't ready (and clearly still wasn't ready come week 10...) that's just the nature of college QBs right now. The Dak Prescott's and Russell Wilsons are rare.

Let the kid sit and LEARN his job before throwing him out to the wolves -- I'm of the opinion he will have a much greater shot at success if he masters his footwork, reads, NFL defenses, etc before you trot him out there with 4-6+ dudes looking to rip his head off every snap.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Rosenbloom is kind of a paid troll, ya know? It's a fine line between satire and just being a bitter fuck, and he does a poor job of walking that line, IMO.
I like Rosenbloom's WSCR Saturday show, but god I despise his writing. It's pure trolling.