When Does Trubisky Play?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe the sooner Mitchell Trubisky plays the better. The analysts liked to lump all of the QB's together in the "needs to sit" category, but Trubisky is not a developmental QB. There will eventually become a tipping point in his progression after he learns the offense where every game he misses starts becoming a negative.

- Cian Fahey @Cianaf

Ironically, Trubisky went from someone who "hasn't played enough" to someone who can now "benefit from sitting." #NFLLogic

All that being said, I am fully aware that Ryan Pace and John Fox will probably try to send Glennon out on the field as long as possible or until he stops breathing. Even then, I'm not so sure.

So excepting the situation, let's take a look at the different scenarios that could play out depending on his performance. I'll go over the pros and cons and then grade it using my Adigrade grading system

SCENARIO #1 - HOSTILE TAKEOVER

In this scenario, Mike Glennon is a spectacular failure right from the get go. John Fox has no choice but to bench Glennon after only 4 games. It's probably the last thing he wants to do, but sees the season slipping away from him and makes one final attempt at saving his job.

PROS

- Trubisky gets more than a half a season worth of playing experience. This is huge given the fact that Trubisky started only 13 games in 3 seasons at UNC.

- energizes the fanbase

CONS

- The Bears are paying 18.5 mil to a backup QB

- Depending on where he is in his development, Trubisky may or may not be ready.

ADIGRADE - Digiorno's

- This is a great outcome because every game that Trubisky starts will be invaluable to him.

SCENARIO #2 - SUICIDAL IDEATION

- In this scenario, Mike Glennon does not play badly enough to play but does not play good enough to show that he can be relied upon to become an above average starter. This leaves the Bears in a sort of purgatory, and it leaves the fan base numb.

PROS

- Bears will have seen enough of Mike Glennon to assess and cut ties with him after 2017.

CONS

- Mitchell Trubisky gains no experience other than a handful of series over the course of the season.

- The fan base is neither exited, nor angry. It's much worse, they are bored.

ADIGRADE - Tombstone's

- This would be a terrible outcome. You would have a QB that is as good as gone after the season taking valuable snaps from your game starved rookie QB.

SCENARIO #3 - HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO

- Now this is the scenario where tough choices have to be made. Maybe even very unpopular decisions. In this scenario, Mike Glennon actually plays well all season. He doesn't take the Bears to the playoffs but keeps the team competitive. The team rallies around him

PROS

- The Bears may have just found a legitimate QB at a team friendly contract.

- Hope is setting in for the Chicago Bears fan base.

- Mike Glennon's trade value soars

CONS

- Again, Mitchell gets little or no much needed experience.

- John Fox and Ryan Pace have to make a critical decision.

ADIGRADE - Home Run Inn

This is a very good dilemma to have but it's also one that could have some dire consequences. On one hand, you have a guy who performed like a top 15 QB during the season. A guy who has a very manageable contract. A guy who the team believes in. I remember near the time Tony Romo was set to return, there were reports that the locker room was all in on Prescott. It came out that there would be a mutiny in the locker room if they pulled Prescott. So do you keep and start Glennon the next season? His value is sky high, so do you trade him for valuable prospects if their might be a mutiny. Will the fans except a move to trade Glennon after he had a promising first season?

And then we have Mitchell Trubisky. How does this all affect him? Well, the pressure would be surely on. The Bears will have traded away a QB who had a good season, and in comes Mitchell Trubisky who had little to no playing time the previous season and some resentful players.

Or do you just bite the bullet and keep both Glennon and Trubisky? For Trubisky, he will be 24 years old and have had only 13 starts in the past 4 years. Can the Bears really afford to keep their #2 pick QB sitting on the bench to start the 2018 season? Or what about the other way around. Could the Bears just keep Glennon as the backup QB? Maybe. But it might just be too ridiculous to keep a 16 mill backup QB. Also, after an impressive year, Glennon will expect to start. If not for the Bears, for another team. Glennon is not going to just sit idly by while the Bears bench him after a solid season. He will likely demand a trade. And such a QB controversy could become toxic.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

You make it sound like all snaps are equal when it comes to QB development. Playing college ball where he is generally going to be successful is way WAY different than playing in a more difficult NFL offense against much better players.

In scenario #3, you stick with Glennon for the 2nd year. Eventually, he'll get hurt and Trubisky will get a chance. Then you'll have more information to make a decision. Aaron Rodgers sat for 3-4 years. It didn't seem to hurt him any.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Nanky
Journeyman

If Glennon plays very well, I'll be pissed if they trade him. How long have the Bears searched for a franchise QB? I'll take one playing great no matter how we got him, whether that means Trubisky sits or not. I'm hoping the Bears are trying to fix the QB position with anyone, not just Trubisky. That could mean Glennon is the best and he should remain the starter. Knowing the Bears, Glennon will play well, they will trade him, then Trubisky will suck it up while Glennon goes on to have a great career. That's my biggest worry, and I don't think we have the luxury of ever trading a quality QB away.
wab
Mod

Nanky wrote:If Glennon plays very well, I'll be pissed if they trade him. How long have the Bears searched for a franchise QB? I'll take one playing great no matter how we got him, whether that means Trubisky sits or not. I'm hoping the Bears are trying to fix the QB position with anyone, not just Trubisky. That could mean Glennon is the best and he should remain the starter. Knowing the Bears, Glennon will play well, they will trade him, then Trubisky will suck it up while Glennon goes on to have a great career. That's my biggest worry, and I don't think we have the luxury of ever trading a quality QB away.
Pace and the Bears in their current iteration are hitched to Trubisky. That's just facts. Glennon isn't the future of the Bears. No matter how well he does or doesn't play. If he's bad he gets cut after the season. If he's good, he becomes trade bait until his contract expires.
wab
Mod

If you read between the lines, the Bears made a very shrewd move with Glennon. Rumors were that the Bucs received calls up through the trade deadline for Glennon and refused to part with him. The Bears knew this (because they were one of the teams that called). They also had a hardon for Trubisky. They overpaid Glennon in year one simply for the right to trade him in year two if he's 1-good and 2-they were able to get Trubisky.

Now, from a moral standpoint, it's a bit of a dick move to Glennon...but the structure of the contract should have been a hint to him.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:If you read between the lines, the Bears made a very shrewd move with Glennon. Rumors were that the Bucs received calls up through the trade deadline for Glennon and refused to part with him. The Bears knew this (because they were one of the teams that called). They also had a hardon for Trubisky. They overpaid Glennon in year one simply for the right to trade him in year two if he's 1-good and 2-they were able to get Trubisky.

Now, from a moral standpoint, it's a bit of a dick move to Glennon...but the structure of the contract should have been a hint to him.
Yes, it looks like the Bears are in good shape either way. But I wouldn't discount the locker room dynamic if Glennon actually plays well and wins over the players. It would also put a lot of pressure on Trubisky on the field and in the locker room.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe the sooner Mitchell Trubisky plays the better..

well, you could have read the multiple pages already in a different thread on the same subject to find that out : http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... 6&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Adipost
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Adipost wrote:I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe the sooner Mitchell Trubisky plays the better..

well, you could have read the multiple pages already in a different thread on the same subject to find that out : http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... 6&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:If you read between the lines, the Bears made a very shrewd move with Glennon. Rumors were that the Bucs received calls up through the trade deadline for Glennon and refused to part with him. The Bears knew this (because they were one of the teams that called). They also had a hardon for Trubisky. They overpaid Glennon in year one simply for the right to trade him in year two if he's 1-good and 2-they were able to get Trubisky.

Exactly man.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think the play Trubisky right away talk misses a big point about humans.

"Experience" is not a quantitative. You can't add up reps. There is no formula for games/reps/etc to equal known improvement. Some QBs may be able to handle it. I would suggest most shouldn't.

The brain is very tricky. If you ruin a person's confidence you can break them. Playing too early can destroy confidence. The ability to slow down stressors can be partially taught. The more info you comfortably know about your task the less stress a situation places on you. The ability to see things from a wide angle help you understand the small details. The more confidence you have on the task, the easier it is to lead men.

So increasing those skills before real world experience, should make that that experience more valuable and less likely to destroy someone.
LacertineForest
MVP

First, I appreciate the post - it's clear you put some time and effort into it and I liked the images and the "pizza" grades. I don't mind if there are multiple pages already discussing - it's going to be a pretty dead time until TC starts up, so I like seeing posts like this.

For me, I don't really care when he starts. If Glennon excels, then I say you stick with him. I would also be okay with flipping Glennon for a pick if he performs well enough to warrant interest from other teams during some offseason, but only if they are convinced Trubisky is ready to play. As others mentioned, I'm sure he'll get a chance to fill in for Glennon if he gets injured at some point.

The one thing I don't want is to put Trubisky in a situation where he is going to be getting killed out there. Our OTs aren't exactly great, and I could see a scenario where he isn't able to develop well because he's been thrown to the wolves too soon and just isn't ready to handle it.

Whatever happens, things are going to look very different on the field and that has me interested.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm following his current career arc -- he has the ability to improve himself mentally and physically without playing. He's not NFL ready so let him learn the game, work on his craft for all of 2017, and unleash him in 2018.

If you want to get cute, play him in blowouts (however, you then risk him being QB2 and playing if Glennon gets hurt), or decide that he plays week 16/17 just to get his beak wet.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Nanky wrote:If Glennon plays very well, I'll be pissed if they trade him. How long have the Bears searched for a franchise QB? I'll take one playing great no matter how we got him, whether that means Trubisky sits or not. I'm hoping the Bears are trying to fix the QB position with anyone, not just Trubisky. That could mean Glennon is the best and he should remain the starter. Knowing the Bears, Glennon will play well, they will trade him, then Trubisky will suck it up while Glennon goes on to have a great career. That's my biggest worry, and I don't think we have the luxury of ever trading a quality QB away.
Pace and the Bears in their current iteration are hitched to Trubisky. That's just facts. Glennon isn't the future of the Bears. No matter how well he does or doesn't play. If he's bad he gets cut after the season. If he's good, he becomes trade bait until his contract expires.
Circumstances and common behaviors don't equal facts. I fail to see why--if it plays out this way--that Trubisky couldn't be the trade bait. If the team and coaching staff bonds with Glennon who plays well, there's a big incentive to stick with the devil you know.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Adipost
MVP

BearButtseks wrote:First, I appreciate the post - it's clear you put some time and effort into it and I liked the images and the "pizza" grades. I don't mind if there are multiple pages already discussing - it's going to be a pretty dead time until TC starts up, so I like seeing posts like this.

For me, I don't really care when he starts. If Glennon excels, then I say you stick with him. I would also be okay with flipping Glennon for a pick if he performs well enough to warrant interest from other teams during some offseason, but only if they are convinced Trubisky is ready to play. As others mentioned, I'm sure he'll get a chance to fill in for Glennon if he gets injured at some point.

The one thing I don't want is to put Trubisky in a situation where he is going to be getting killed out there. Our OTs aren't exactly great, and I could see a scenario where he isn't able to develop well because he's been thrown to the wolves too soon and just isn't ready to handle it.

Whatever happens, things are going to look very different on the field and that has me interested.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
Circumstances and common behaviors don't equal facts. I fail to see why--if it plays out this way--that Trubisky couldn't be the trade bait. If the team and coaching staff bonds with Glennon who plays well, there's a big incentive to stick with the devil you know.
Because, for numerous reasons I've posted, that's not how the NFL works.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
I hope you don't think have some kind of grudge against you, because we often seem to be on opposite sides of an argument. We just see things from different perspectives and your view pokes some hot button issues for me. So I feel compelled to respond and defend my POV. We do agree sometimes and I like to point those out too, when it happens. I just don't want anybody to think that I somehow have it in for you or anything like that. I'm the new guy and I want to make sure that everybody knows that wab's all good with me, even if we disagree at times.

I go to training camp every year and plan to do so again this time around. When July gets here, I'll post a "who's going to TC" thread and maybe some of us can shake hands there. Especially you, wab. :D

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
I hope you don't think have some kind of grudge against you, because we often seem to be on opposite sides of an argument. We just see things from different perspectives and your view pokes some hot button issues for me. So I feel compelled to respond and defend my POV. We do agree sometimes and I like to point those out too, when it happens. I just don't want anybody to think that I somehow have it in for you or anything like that. I'm the new guy and I want to make sure that everybody knows that wab's all good with me, even if we disagree at times.

I go to training camp every year and plan to do so again this time around. When July gets here, I'll post a "who's going to TC" thread and maybe some of us can shake hands there. Especially you, wab. :D
No worries at all. I don't think you have it out for me, and I certainly don't have it out for you. You post thoughtful and insightful topics and responses. And although semantically we may not agree on things, I don't mind the banter. I wouldn't respond otherwise :)
docc
Head Coach

Adipost tissue, or fat, is an anatomical term for loose connective tissue composed of adipocytes. Its main role is to store energy in the form of fat, although it also cushions and insulates the body.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

It's spelled adipose.

Adipost is a weight loss drug.

:hungry:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

pus wrote:Adipost is a weight loss drug.
I thought it was a billboard support. :nana:

docc
Head Coach

Yes..it was a joke..
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:Pace and the Bears in their current iteration are hitched to Trubisky. That's just facts. Glennon isn't the future of the Bears. No matter how well he does or doesn't play. If he's bad he gets cut after the season. If he's good, he becomes trade bait until his contract expires.

If you read between the lines, the Bears made a very shrewd move with Glennon. Rumors were that the Bucs received calls up through the trade deadline for Glennon and refused to part with him. The Bears knew this (because they were one of the teams that called). They also had a hardon for Trubisky. They overpaid Glennon in year one simply for the right to trade him in year two if he's 1-good and 2-they were able to get Trubisky.

Yep, agree with this analysis. It makes sense.
Urblock
Practice Squad

Hope Trubinsky plays this year. Don't want to wait for a 2 overall to show he is the future. Sitting him is as bad as sticking with Cutler just wasting away years.
BearDen
Journeyman

Urblock wrote:Hope Trubinsky plays this year. Don't want to wait for a 2 overall to show he is the future. Sitting him is as bad as sticking with Cutler just wasting away years.
Sitting him may be better for future trade value IMO. Maybe have him play 1 game and score 4 TDs, then have him get "injured". Look at the market for Jimmy Garrafalo, BB is a genius. Be more like BB.
Urblock
Practice Squad

BearDen wrote:
Urblock wrote:Hope Trubinsky plays this year. Don't want to wait for a 2 overall to show he is the future. Sitting him is as bad as sticking with Cutler just wasting away years.
Sitting him may be better for future trade value IMO. Maybe have him play 1 game and score 4 TDs, then have him get "injured". Look at the market for Jimmy Garrafalo, BB is a genius. Be more like BB.
Trubinsky was picked #2.
BearDen
Journeyman

Urblock wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Trubinsky was picked #2.
Tubinsky was drafted in the WOAT QB draft though
Hematite
Player of the Month

I'm not sure how sitting Trubisky this year is a bad thing. The whole team still needs upgrades throughout before we have a prayer in hell of reaching the playoffs. Sitting Trubisky this years allows him time to learn the NFL without the un"Bear"able pressure of being the starting QB in Chicago. When it's Trubisky's time, the OL will have been upgraded, Kevin White may be an actual reciever, baby Gronk may be an up and comer TE in the league, Merideth may have solidified his status an a bonafide #2 in the league, Howard is still very young and Cohen may develop as that 3rd down back we so desperately need.

So many question marks still remain on this team. Sit him 1 year and fix the pieces that need fixing before handing him the reigns!
wab
Mod

Goddammit. It's not TRUBINSKY. Just like it wasn't Ortman. Just like it wasn't McGowan. Just like it wasn't Jefferies.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

docc wrote:Yes..it was a joke..
Coulda fooled me.

:rimshot:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Goddammit. It's not TRUBINSKY. Just like it wasn't Ortman. Just like it wasn't McGowan. Just like it wasn't Jefferies.

Just kidding, man. I am honestly completely on your side with this one. :thumbsup:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: