Update: Victor Cruz signs 1-yr deal with Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Per multiple reports, he's a Bear for a season.
wab
Mod

Interesting. Wonder if this is a sign of White's health. Do the Bears get an award for the all injured/all underwhelming WR group?
G08
Hall of Famer

I mean what the fuck are we doing.

wab I didn't even think of White's health... Do you think this is the reason we made the move?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Wheaton, Wright and Cruz are all guys who can generally get open in the short passing game and make plays.

Without a True #1, and with suspect tackles against speed rushers, we need guys who can get separation off the line and make tough catches for the offense to work. The more guys we have that can do that, the easier it will be to disguise plays and keep our WR's fresh.

1/2 our plays called in will be a shotgun zone run with a short pass option if the QB pulls the ball.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm a Braverman guy... I want that kid getting reps.

UOK
Site Admin

I'm fine w/ the signing. May the best player win, honestly.
BearDen
Journeyman

For fucks sake... I made a joke thread at a shitty bears forum about how the bears should replace Jeffery with Cruz a few months ago. It was supposed to be a joke.
G08
Hall of Famer

BearDen wrote:For fucks sake... I made a joke thread at a shitty bears forum about how the bears should replace Jeffery with Cruz a few months ago. It was supposed to be a joke.
These are dark days, my friend.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I mean what the fuck are we doing.

wab I didn't even think of White's health... Do you think this is the reason we made the move?
Dunno man, but is it really a coincidence that White sits out and a day later the Bears sign Cruz? Maybe...but unlikely given this is the Bears we are talking about.
UOK
Site Admin

They were talking to Cruz weeks ago. I don't see any smoke for fire.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

This really makes me wonder about White's health now. Sadly if like for some of our times guys to get a chance and not sure how much they will splitting reps.
UOK
Site Admin

Please don't use a 2-weeks-old story to validate your suspicions of a report from a day ago. Cruz turned down a visit to the Jags because the two were already in contract talks.
BearDen
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
BearDen wrote:For fucks sake... I made a joke thread at a shitty bears forum about how the bears should replace Jeffery with Cruz a few months ago. It was supposed to be a joke.
These are dark days, my friend.
I wouldn't go that far. The Jay Cutler era has ended, we took the first QB off the board in the draft, defense is on its way. I just don't understand why Pace constantly creates holes on offense and puts bandaids on them.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I'm OK with the signing. I'd guess the deal is for the veteran minimum with little to no guarantee. Low risk, high reward. Honestly, even though I like the signing, I don't think he makes the 53-man roster. He just hasn't been the same since his patellar tendon injury.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Agreed that this doesn't have to do with White necessarily. The WR group is so bad that you don't have to look at a single guy. There's literally nobody you can rely on
xyt in the discord chats
BearDen
Journeyman

crueltyabc wrote:Agreed that this doesn't have to do with White necessarily. The WR group is so bad that you don't have to look at a single guy. There's literally nobody you can rely on
We have a bunch of guys that were studs in college, drafted fairly high, and have done nothing in the NFL. The only decent WR on the team was a QB in college. I'm not too hopeful for success this season
Gaytoe
Journeyman

BearDen wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:Agreed that this doesn't have to do with White necessarily. The WR group is so bad that you don't have to look at a single guy. There's literally nobody you can rely on
We have a bunch of guys that were studs in college, drafted fairly high, and have done nothing in the NFL. The only decent WR on the team was a QB in college. I'm not too hopeful for success this season
Wright had 94 catches for 1,074 yards one season. So one of the guys did something once
G08
Hall of Famer

Gaytoe wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Wright had 94 catches for 1,074 yards one season. So one of the guys did something once
Sure did, and Dowell Loggains was calling plays for him that season.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Please don't use a 2-weeks-old story to validate your suspicions of a report from a day ago. Cruz turned down a visit to the Jags because the two were already in contract talks.
Yes and no.

Bortles had a very down year, but the WR's in Jax are pretty good so Cruz would have a hard time finding the field. Chicago has one of the worst set of WR's overall so its the best chance for Cruz to make a name for himself, even with Glennon or Trubisky throwing the ball.

And while they were "Negotiating", it takes two sides to make a deal and the Bears didn't agree until after White's injury.

So the timing of the signing doesn't really prove or disprove anything.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:And while they were "Negotiating", it takes two sides to make a deal and the Bears didn't agree until after White's injury.

So the timing of the signing doesn't really prove or disprove anything.
This is what I was getting at.
Funkster
MVP

Man, I sure hope this has nothing to do with White's health.

Cruz can be a good addition to this corps, it's getting crowded but healthy competition brings out the best in competitive players. This should be an exciting camp!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
BearDen
Journeyman

Gaytoe wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Fair point but how many years removed is he from that?
Gaytoe
Journeyman

2013 but it was when Dowell Loggains was the OC that year. If anyone is going to bring him back to that level it is probably him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm fine with Cruz being a Bear ... will be more fine with it once White gets vaginitis again during training camp
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Eh, he's a veteran that could hopefully teach a thing or two to our WRs. Only odd thing is that he's a slot guy true-and-true, and I'm of the opinion Kevin White is the one that needs the most mentoring.