Do you think Mitch outplays Glennon in camp/pre-season?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:Was just thinking the same thing happened in Seattle, they gave Flynn a boatload and Wilson just flat out outplayed him.
Not to mention at this time a year ago, the talk was Carson Wentz was going to sit his rookie season as Philly's No. 3 QB. Obviously he outperformed everyone enough for the Eagles to trade Bradford a week before the season started.

Not saying Trubisky will outperformed Glennon in the preseason, but it absolutely can happen.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

It's absolutely a possibility, and if the difference is night and day, don't think for a second these coaches aren't above saving their jobs above appeasing Glennon.

They'll trade Glennon for scraps and be satisfied they did so.
wab
Mod

He'll have to clearly and decisively outplay Glennon...which I believe is entirely possible. But if it's "close" Glennon gets the call for at least 6 games (barring injury to his 6'7 underdeveloped toddler body).

If Trubisky outplays him to the point where they can't NOT play him, then Glennon will (should) go to the first team that loses a starting QB in the presason.
Funkster
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:Was just thinking the same thing happened in Seattle, they gave Flynn a boatload and Wilson just flat out outplayed him.
I would say Wilson fit the direction the team wanted to go systematically and his work ethic and leadership couldn't be ignored. I see Trubisky having that same mentality. Wilson was pacified by the coaches for a reason. He was not and still isn't the most accurate or pure thrower IMO. This is something Trubisky has over Wilson, he is very accurate, even on deeper throws. If the bears can produce a defense half as good as the Hawks, Trubisky will have no problem acclimating to life as an NFL QB.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
I would say Wilson fit the direction the team wanted to go systematically and his work ethic and leadership couldn't be ignored. I see Trubisky having that same mentality. Wilson was pacified by the coaches for a reason. He was not and still isn't the most accurate or pure thrower IMO. This is something Trubisky has over Wilson, he is very accurate, even on deeper throws. If the bears can produce a defense half as good as the Hawks, Trubisky will have no problem acclimating to life as an NFL QB.
Not to derail the thread, but...Wilson isn't REALLY that great of a QB. He's definitely the right guy in the right place and in a system that maximizes his strengths and protects his weaknesses. One of the biggest things Wilson has going for him is that he knows his limitations and plays within himself. He's also a hard worker and a team first guy.

Still///I want Trubisky to be a much better QB than Wilson.
Funkster
MVP

Agreed, and Trubisky's work ethic and leadership is said to be top notch. From what I've read and seen from mini camp, it doesn't look like a show. I believe the only thing Glennon has on him is experience, which is huge. I starting to think no matter how well Glennon does, it will be Trubisky's team by next season.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

The die-hard in me really, REALLY wants Trubisky to win the job in Training Camp and start from day 1... I just don't think that's the best overall approach for his development.

We'll see... I'm going to be so conflicted, and oddly enough I can't wait for pre-season week 4 :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:The die-hard in me really, REALLY wants Trubisky to win the job in Training Camp and start from day 1... I just don't think that's the best overall approach for his development.

We'll see... I'm going to be so conflicted, and oddly enough I can't wait for pre-season week 4 :lol:
I'm right there with you man! I'm already planning a trip to Chicago for next season!
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:The die-hard in me really, REALLY wants Trubisky to win the job in Training Camp and start from day 1... I just don't think that's the best overall approach for his development.

I mean, if he wins the job outright...I'd say that the best thing for his development WOULD be for him to play.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

I mean, if he wins the job outright...I'd say that the best thing for his development WOULD be for him to play.
I agree in the sense that there is no substitute for experience... I just don't think he's ready mechanically or from a playbook standpoint. Then there's the whole issue with reading NFL defenses and trying to master the position while NFL DEs and OLBs are looking to rip your head off.

Looking at his history at UNC, sitting for a couple years may have been the best thing for him. He got stronger, got smarter, and he was ready when he finally got his shot (seriously, look at the statistical difference between Williams and Trubisky -- it's night and day).

I just want him to be QB3 and inactive for at least 8-10 weeks of the season so he knows all he has to do is work on himself, learning the system, being attentive in meetings, and taking mental reps while Glennon is leading the offense.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IotaNet
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote: ... the Russell Wilson comp isn't really a fair comparison since Wilson had a lot more game experience ...
This is a key point. By the end of his college career, Wilson has played 50 games in 2 different systems and 3 Bowl Games. Trubisky has played only 13 games -- he needs a lot more seasoning than Wilson did.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Nanky
Journeyman

IotaNet wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote: ... the Russell Wilson comp isn't really a fair comparison since Wilson had a lot more game experience ...
This is a key point. By the end of his college career, Wilson has played 50 games in 2 different systems and 3 Bowl Games. Trubisky has played only 13 games -- he needs a lot more seasoning than Wilson did.
Technically he only started 13 games, I believe he played in an additional 18 games during his Soph and Junior years.
G08
Hall of Famer

Trubisky started 13 games, played in 31, and ended his college career with 572 passing attempts.

For reference, Carson Wentz ended his career with 612.

IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:Trubisky started 13 games, played in 31, and ended his college career with 572 passing attempts.
For reference, Carson Wentz ended his career with 612.
Specific to the Russell Wilson comparison, he ended his college career with 1489 passing attempts.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i just cant see the bears doing glennon like that. even if mitch somehow looks ready in camp they have to give glennon the chance to lose the job in the regular season.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Trubisky approaches the game with an almost OCD need to master the system. He's made the playbook he received on draft night his mission to learn.

Glennon has had the playbook longer and has the benefit of knowing the pro game.

Sure I think it's entirely possible, if unlikely, that Trubisky starts.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Well, Trubisky just got #2 rating in Madden. So there is that....

Don't you guys know the correlation between being a great madden player and being one in real life?
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

RING4CHI wrote:
Not to mention at this time a year ago, the talk was Carson Wentz was going to sit his rookie season as Philly's No. 3 QB. Obviously he outperformed everyone enough for the Eagles to trade Bradford a week before the season started.

Not saying Trubisky will outperformed Glennon in the preseason, but it absolutely can happen.
If Teddy Bridgewater doesn't get hurt, then Wentz pretty much stays on the bench his rookie season unless Bradford got hurt. It was just a unique circumstance that the Eagles couldn't pass up. A 1st round pick in exchange for Bradford? I'd do that trade in a heart beat every single time.
Never Die Easy
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:Well, Trubisky just got #2 rating in Madden. So there is that....
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I actually use Madden ratings to gauge my drafts after 4 years. I know it sounds dumb because of the source, but they create an unbiased (by me) list of player grades every year.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

That actually could realistically happen, but I think it would have to be clear beyond a shadow of a doubt better in order for Glennon not to be the starter in 2017.

I'm kind of in a quandary about this. I don't want the Bears to rush/ruin Trubiskey. But since they made the effort to get him, I do want to see him play.

Training camp should be interesting.

That said, with the Bears luck, something bad will happen to both and Dirty Sanchez ends up the starter :frustrated:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Johnny
Rookie

46Blitz wrote:Well, Trubisky just got #2 rating in Madden. So there is that....

Don't you guys know the correlation between being a great madden player and being one in real life?
that was for Madden 17 Ultimate Team, not Madden 18. Those are still not released.
wab
Mod

#championship
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

I agree in the sense that there is no substitute for experience... I just don't think he's ready mechanically or from a playbook standpoint. Then there's the whole issue with reading NFL defenses and trying to master the position while NFL DEs and OLBs are looking to rip your head off.

Looking at his history at UNC, sitting for a couple years may have been the best thing for him. He got stronger, got smarter, and he was ready when he finally got his shot (seriously, look at the statistical difference between Williams and Trubisky -- it's night and day).

I just want him to be QB3 and inactive for at least 8-10 weeks of the season so he knows all he has to do is work on himself, learning the system, being attentive in meetings, and taking mental reps while Glennon is leading the offense.
I largely agree with this.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.