TE Zach Miller on the trade block

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Basically confirms why he feels he's on the bubble. FWIW his agent nor his family has heard anything (that they are saying anyway).

http://sportsmockery.com/2017/05/bears- ... y-veteran/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

I can't see it happening for more than a 6th, and it will probably require Pace giving up another 7th.

Still.... a two TE set with Sims/Shaheen would be legit, assuming Shaheen can learn how to properly block.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Liars Clean Rec Inc wrote:Oh wait nevermind. It's from Sports Mockery. They have never broken a story ever.
It's not just from Sports Mockery. Still, he's admitted that he's on the bubble since the end of the season. Even then he thought his chances of making the roster this season were 50/50. And that's before they drafted Shaheen.
G08
Hall of Famer

Liars Clean Rec Inc wrote:
G08 wrote:I can't see it happening for more than a 6th, and it will probably require Pace giving up another 7th.

Still.... a two TE set with Sims/Shaheen would be legit, assuming Shaheen can learn how to properly block.
You don't draft a TE like Shaheen to go out and block. You put him on the field and get him the ball.
Even our TE coach is talking about what kind of impact Shaheen can have run blocking in our zone scheme... you'd make a shitty play caller :)
UOK
Site Admin

I don't 100% buy it, but it could be one of those week 1 preseason deals if he stays healthy. SportsMockery isn't my favorite news resource at all, but sometimes they tend to sniff in the right direction.
G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
G08 wrote:I can't see it happening for more than a 6th, and it will probably require Pace giving up another 7th.

You don't draft a TE like Shaheen to go out and block. You put him on the field and get him the ball.
Even our TE coach is talking about what kind of impact Shaheen can have run blocking in our zone scheme... you'd make a shitty play caller :)
Not sure what would qualify you to make that last statement. Do I know you?
Not sure I've ever seen the individual in your avatar before, so I'm guessing no we don't know each other.

What qualifies me, you ask? Well, I'm just going off words you use, which formulate sentences, and end up giving off impressions.

For example, you said: You don't draft a TE like Shaheen to go out and block. You put him on the field and get him the ball.

Our TE coach has discussed Shaheen in the blocking game, and the whole entire point of two TE sets is to not let the defense know whether you are going to run or pass, i.e. you don't ever make a player one-dimensional because it tips your hand. If you tip your hand you likely are a shitty playcaller.

Does that help?
UOK
Site Admin

Liars Clean Rec Inc wrote: Not sure what would qualify you to make that last statement. Do I know you?
Nanky
Journeyman

I know I'm new around here, but man is this new group of newbies especially touchy about things!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Even if the Bears could get a 6th for Miller, given his inability to stay healthy, it'd probably be conditional on some level.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
G08
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:I know I'm new around here, but man is this new group of newbies especially touchy about things!
I mean it's a message board, if you post messages that don't make sense you're going to get asked about it / called out on it.
G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
G08 wrote:

Not sure what would qualify you to make that last statement. Do I know you?
Not sure I've ever seen the individual in your avatar before, so I'm guessing no we don't know each other.

What qualifies me, you ask? Well, I'm just going off words you use, which formulate sentences, and end up giving off impressions.

For example, you said: You don't draft a TE like Shaheen to go out and block. You put him on the field and get him the ball.

Our TE coach has discussed Shaheen in the blocking game, and the whole entire point of two TE sets is to not let the defense know whether you are going to run or pass, i.e. you don't ever make a player one-dimensional because it tips your hand. If you tip your hand you likely are a shitty playcaller.

Does that help?
Helps me understand what kind of guy you are, sure. See you around the forum.
Hey man, you asked me what makes me qualified to say that and I laid out my rationale for you. Sorry if you didn't like it but it's based in fact. See you around.
wab
Mod

wab wrote:
Liars Clean Rec Inc wrote:Oh wait nevermind. It's from Sports Mockery. They have never broken a story ever.
It's not just from Sports Mockery. Still, he's admitted that he's on the bubble since the end of the season. Even then he thought his chances of making the roster this season were 50/50. And that's before they drafted Shaheen.
If Zach Miller needs Sports Mockery to tell him he's on the bubble, Zach Miller needs to find better Medical Doctors.
Zach Miller didn't need Sports Mockery to do anything. Sports Mockery is confirming what Miller has been thinking since January.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Let's rid the roster of known play makers.
UOK
Site Admin

Liars Clean Rec Inc wrote: Helps me understand what kind of guy you are, sure. See you around the forum.
Oh, stop being so dramatic.
Nanky wrote:I know I'm new around here, but man is this new group of newbies especially touchy about things!

Some more than others.
UOK
Site Admin

UOK wrote:
Liars Clean Rec Inc wrote: Helps me understand what kind of guy you are, sure. See you around the forum.
Oh, stop being so dramatic.

Some more than others.
Not being dramatic. If some complete stranger's going to act like a jerk to me, I just am interested in their reason or motivation.
Or you could just, ya know, let it slide.

Not everything has to be a confrontation. Not every slight, big or small, needs to result in a rebut. If you feel like something unfair or over the top is occurring PM me or WAB and we'll look into it.
GSH
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:Let's rid the roster of known play makers.
Right?!? There are at least a handful of surplus players id look to get rid of before Miller, who when healthy has been a bright spot on this roster.

Then again, one of the few players with any trade value I suppose. But I want to keep him a bear for sure.
BearDen
Journeyman

lmao there are actually people that are surprised by this news about Miller? Oh and new guy and GO8, get a frickin room
wab
Mod

BearDen wrote:lmao there are actually people that are surprised by this news about Miller?
Shouldn't be. I mean, he's my guy and all but if even he knows the writing is on the wall then I'm not sure why we are all surprised.
BearDen
Journeyman

wab wrote:
BearDen wrote:lmao there are actually people that are surprised by this news about Miller?
Shouldn't be. I mean, he's my guy and all but if even he knows the writing is on the wall then I'm not sure why we are all surprised.
Dude's a stud when healthy, but as you say the writing is on the wall. the older he gets, the less healthy he'll be, and he's already had too many injuries
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

BearDen wrote:
wab wrote:
Dude's a stud when healthy, but as you say the writing is on the wall. the older he gets, the less healthy he'll be, and he's already had too many injuries
I think we all know its was/is a possibility. The logic behind it is odd to me. He clearly is a top 53 player on this roster. Clearly can add a aspect to this team they desperately lack. Why rid themselves of that?
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:
BearDen wrote:
wab wrote:
I think we all know its was/is a possibility. The logic behind it is odd to me. He clearly is a top 53 player on this roster. Clearly can add a aspect to this team they desperately lack. Why rid themselves of that?
Eh, I guess it boils down to the whole "the best ability is availability" stuff. TE isn't a group where you can stack players deep enough to cover for a guy who has struggled to stay healthy. If he does go, I'll hate to see it happen because it's nice to know a guy that plays for the team, even if it is just as a casual acquaintance. He's also a good dude, so he's easy to root for.
G08
Hall of Famer

There has to be a role for him on this team... I mean go to 3 TE sets and then motion him to full back and let him lead a little bit and after a while he can be a huge threat out of the backfield and off PA.
BR0D1E86
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:
BearDen wrote:
wab wrote:
Personally I'd only let him go in a trade. I don't see the point in releasing him. I think we have a couple intriguing developmental TE options, but not that intriguing. Miller, when healthy, is a pretty strong asset. And from what I can tell he's solid in the locker room as well.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised they're trying to trade him.

I figured after the draft that he'd be cut as soon as he could pass a physical.

Kudos to Pace if he actually gets something for a TE right after a draft loaded with TE.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Miller was one of the feel good stories. Guy claimed off the reject pile and making something of himself with his second (or third?) chance. But as we all know, there is no place for sentiment when roster positions are involved.

I think the Bears could keep him as more of an H-Back type since they aren't going to carry a FB. But I guess they don't think so.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:Miller was one of the feel good stories. Guy claimed off the reject pile and making something of himself with his second (or third?) chance. But as we all know, there is no place for sentiment when roster positions are involved.

I think the Bears could keep him as more of an H-Back type since they aren't going to carry a FB. But I guess they don't think so.
I think they might carry a FB with the FSU kid if it works out in preseason, meaning he can block and learn the offense. If that happens I think with Sims and Shaheen holding down TE Miller is probably on the block or gone.

I like Miller, but over the course of his career he is Mr. Glass Jr., with K. White being full blown Mr. Glass so far.