Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:which of these 1st round bear's picks were draft busts:

-gabe carimi
-chris williams
-marc columbo
-kyle fuller
-curtis enis
I loved Carimi and Columbo, but neither did much after their injuries. Unfortunate, and callous to call them busts, but by definition they did not live up to their potential.

Williams failed to live up to expectations by far, but did well as a pulling left guard for a season or two. He couldn't power through a DT but could kick an end or LB out well enough with some steam behind him.

Fuller seems to be on his last chance to stay on the team and that's not good for a first round pick.

Enis held out, got hurt and had his best games as a FB...not what you want in your hopeful feature back
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Carimi and Colombo both started for other teams after there injuries.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Carimi and Colombo both started for other teams after there injuries.
Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf also started games in the NFL...surely they are not busts either.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Carimi and Colombo both started for other teams after there injuries.
Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf also started games in the NFL...surely they are not busts either.
Yeah, but not more than a couple. Carimi and Colombo both started quite a few games after leaving.

Carimi (pick #29) started 10 more games out of 30 after he left. So possibly still in but territory.

Colombo (pick #29) started 83 games for the cowboys. Bascially 5 1/2 seasons out of 6.

Russell (pick #1) never played for nor started for another team in the NFL besides the Raiders.

Leaf (pick #2) played in 4 games, started 3, outside of his stint with the chargers.

Leaf and Russell are colossal busts, and not via the injury route. Colombo is a solid first rounder with basically 6-7 seasons as a first rounder he just didn't workout while here. Carimi is an injury failure but still started quite a bit and played 4-5 years.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Yeah, but not more than a couple. Carimi and Colombo both started quite a few games after leaving.

Carimi (pick #29) started 10 more games out of 30 after he left. So possibly still in but territory.

Colombo (pick #29) started 83 games for the cowboys. Bascially 5 1/2 seasons out of 6.

Russell (pick #1) never played for nor started for another team in the NFL besides the Raiders.

Leaf (pick #2) played in 4 games, started 3, outside of his stint with the chargers.

Leaf and Russell are colossal busts, and not via the injury route. Colombo is a solid first rounder with basically 6-7 seasons as a first rounder he just didn't workout while here. Carimi is an injury failure but still started quite a bit and played 4-5 years.
I only remember Colombo starting for 2 years in Dallas.
But before we go too far down the rabbit trail, neither he nor Carimi had no where near the career you'd hope for when drafting them in the first round. so that still means bust IMO.
Magnum_Ursus
Player of the Month

Carimi was a bad pick, he didn't have the technique or athleticism, he in fact had some negative technique that the predraft people didn't pick out but the NFL teams sure did.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Carimi was a BAD pick. Awful. The guy could not play T to save his life. He had no feet and was slow as shit. The only reason he got drafted at 29 was because Mike Tice knew him since childhood, and personally vouched for his talent. We all know how good Tice was as an OC. Carimi was a bust.
wab
Mod

Meh, this has nothing to do with White, and they were drafted by a GM who was two GMs ago.
UOK
Site Admin

White participated in OTAs today, for what it's worth.
Mjiton
Rookie

Did he re-re-break his leg reading the play book?
Just my 2 cents
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Kevin White: I have to 'turn it up' for Bears in Year 3
Kevin White has played a total of four games in two seasons due to injury. It's now or never for the first-round pick.

After participating in OTAs on Tuesday, White was asked by reporters if he's motivated by some calling him a "bust."

"It's gotta happen now. I gotta turn it up. For me, year three, it's time," White said, via the team's official Twitter account.

sorry douche canoe but it is way past time for you to make something of yourself
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Nanky
Journeyman

Boris13c wrote:Kevin White: I have to 'turn it up' for Bears in Year 3

sorry douche canoe but it is way past time for you to make something of yourself
So at 24 years old we should just write him off?? He seems like a great young man, I hope he can stay healthy and show why he was drafted so high a couple of years ago.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:

So at 24 years old we should just write him off?? He seems like a great young man, I hope he can stay healthy and show why he was drafted so high a couple of years ago.
not even close to what I said but knock yourself out :roll:
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Methinks Boris woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Methinks Boris woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

my comment on White was an expression of frustration that this is his 3rd year and there is nothing to show for his presence

anyone who chooses to interpret that in a different way is fine by me, but the alternate definition of my statement should not be attributed to me
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Kevin White has played a total of four games in two seasons due to injury. It's now or never for the first-round pick.

After participating in OTAs on Tuesday, White was asked by reporters if he's motivated by some calling him a "bust."

"It's gotta happen now. I gotta turn it up. For me, year three, it's time," White said, via the team's official Twitter account.

I mean, I'm as frustrated and annoyed that we've gotten zero return on that pick as anyone. But he's broken his leg twice. It's not like he's a bust so far because he's lazy or untalented. I'm having a hard time holding his lack of success against him personally so far.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears trying to remind Kevin White he was once good at football
Usually when you draft a guy with the No. 7 overall pick in the NFL Draft, you don’t have to remind him he’s good at playing football.

But that’s exactly what the Bears are doing with 2015 first-rounder Kevin White, as they try to coax the old performance out of him to justify that pick.

Via Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are playing good cop with White at the moment, as they try to get something out of a guy who has played four games and caught 19 passes in two seasons because of leg injuries.

“We’ve got to block out the noise with him,” wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni said. “I can’t let him read papers and [listen] to the media. I just can’t. Because there is going to be some negative in there that gets in his head. And he can’t let that happen. He has to be positive. And we’ve got to go in our bunker all the time and tell him how great he is. Because he is.”

Toward that end, Azzanni made a point to pull White aside Monday to show him his college highlights. During his final season at West Virginia, White caught 109 passes for 1,447 yards and 10 touchdowns.

“He forgets about that sometimes,” Azzanni said. “Because of the embattled two years that he has had. . . . I wanted him to see how he owned the ball in the air, how he used to go up and just grab that ball in the air. He’s starting to do that again.”
so .... he forgets that he can play football ... and he has to be protected from any negative writings or he will forget more about playing football

and, based on his health, needs to play while in a bubble

problem with that is, the bubble doesn't wrap the legs, which are his weak point

I expect he provides this season what he has provided thus far - nothing ... so if even suits up for a game, that will be a big step up, but still not any sign of accomplishment
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I've been saying this for a while, I couldn't understand why Loggains didn't utilize White's sideline ball skills more often in the 4 games he played last year. The only time I saw them do that was against the Cowboys and he made a highlight reel one handed grab over Claiborne. This is what he excelled at in college and I think he can certainly do that in the pros. Hopefully he gets back to that mindset and starts being more aggressive when the ball is in the air.
Never Die Easy
Bad Flanders
MVP

We are talking about a guy who has played a single complete year of football at division 1A / Pro level. 27 total games with 163 receptions for 2,141 yards and 15 tds in 4 years at the 1A college/pro level. Most of that is in a single year. He got his deal and made his money but it's time to play.

It's nice he's a good guy and yeah he's had some bad luck but that's what asterisk's are for next to the names of also-rans.

This is pro football. It's not just okay for Boris to be the way he is about this. It's kind of nuts more people aren't. This guy has made it a long way because he had a seat at the top ten table and he looked good for a couple games. But 19 receptions for 187 yards isn't much. He came in a question mark and he's done nothing but make that question mark more bold.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Maybe if someone gave White the money to buy a Maserati it would calm his ego.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

By all accounts he's a good kid, this matters to him... but I still say he sucks. Playing WR and running routes is an art, this dude is a robot right now.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

Can't blame the kid. Good work ethic, great shape, just some terrible luck so far. I just hope he can stay on the field long enough for a proper evaluation.

Well, I hope he breaks out but I'd really hate to see another injury so we don't even know what could have been.

I'm not really that concerned on the injury front, I am concerned that he hasn't had enough reps to overcome his rawness out of the draft.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

Watch Cameron Meredith run routes and then watch Kevin White run routes... it's freaking night and day.

I think Meredith was a wonderful, wonderful hedge to the suckitude of Kevin White.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

Eh, not every WR has to run pristine routes to be good.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Eh, not every WR has to run pristine routes to be good.
To be good, no, but I'm of the opinion he still tips off a ton of his routes.

I want a top 7 pick to be great.

EDIT: Dude apparently is putting on a show at camp right now. I pray he makes me eat crow.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

staleystarch wrote:Maybe if someone gave White the money to buy a Maserati it would calm his ego.
Well, listening to the score 670 on the way home I found the "Building his confidence" story is most likely a shit storm over nothing. They seem to be putting it on the receiving coaches plate, but listening to their montage of evidence I am not so sure its not the media causing a ruckus that is not there.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

staleystarch wrote:
staleystarch wrote:Maybe if someone gave White the money to buy a Maserati it would calm his ego.
Well, listening to the score 670 on the way home I found the "Building his confidence" story is most likely a shit storm over nothing. They seem to be putting it on the receiving coaches plate, but listening to their montage of evidence I am not so sure its not the media causing a ruckus that is not there.
White and his coaches had best be completely ignoring the media right about now. TC is the critical time and place for him and them to start getting his shit back together and distractions have to be screened out if he's going to make any progress.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:
Agree 100%. They are trying to invent stories because they don't have much.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I mean, a guy who has played like 4 games inn two years is bound to have confidence issues. That doesn't make it the thing sports media is trying to make it.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I mean, a guy who has played like 4 games inn two years is bound to have confidence issues. That doesn't make it the thing sports media is trying to make it.
You can tell he hates the media, the way that dude rolled his eyes and were so annoyed when they told him that his WR coach was the one that watched college tape with him proved his point

On the other hand... why would the WR coach say that? Is there animosity there now?