Bears Mum On Kevin White’s Status

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

chiMAGA34 wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
chiMAGA34 wrote:
G08 wrote:One of the greatest defenses of all time, sure.
With a healthy McPhee, Floyd, Trevathan with another year in Fangio's system, a healthy Fuller, Hicks back at it...this is a top 17 defense maybe even a top 10
That's a lot of ifs just to get into the top half of the league.
It has to start somewhere....let me guess you are hoping the Bears lose to get a better draft pick
It starts somewhere when the "ifs" go away. When they, you know, actually start staying healthy and playing well. "Ifs" really aren't a valid starting point.

I mean, hope is cool and all...
wab
Mod

I don't think you are going to have much fun here if you are just going to bust balls in every thread.
Gaytoe
Journeyman

Mikefive wrote:The big thing about White in my mind is... He's had 2 broken legs. It's not like guys just have recurring broken bones. Recurring knees? Sure. Backs? Oh yeah. Hammys? Yup. Concussions? Definitely. But broken legs are very unusual injuries. Not bones though. I'm in no way convinced (yet, anyway) that 2 bones and a hammy constitute "injury prone". Just don't buy it. That opinion could change. But we're not there yet.
I remember in high school, my sophomore year I was blocking on a toss to the right side and planted my foot as I began to drive the linebacker out of the play. Unfortunately, the running back was tackled behind me and his helmet/body went straight into my planted ankle and I ended up breaking it.

My junior year during double-sessions, a 260lb-ish kid on my team (I was like 210) happened to step on my foot in the trenches and the cleat happened to align just right so it landed directly above a bone in my foot/ankle and ended up breaking my other ankle.

My senior year I started every game and even every practice and have never had a problem since. I think breaking a bone is just being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I hope...
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

You never know with injuries, he is young. I seemingly remember Charles Woodson missing a lot of time his first few seasons with shoulder injuries and a broken leg a time or two.
G08
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:You never know with injuries, he is young. I seemingly remember Charles Woodson missing a lot of time his first few seasons with shoulder injuries and a broken leg a time or two.
That's the truth, and by all accounts he's a hard-working kid so it's tough not to root for him. But man... the biggest knock on him was how raw he is as a route-runner and we're entering year 3 with him being unable to play or even practice due to injuries. It just sucks hard for his development.

I really think the only impact he can be expected to have this season is on bubble/tunnel screens, slants, and go-routes. I don't really trust him on much else... maybe comebacks.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:You never know with injuries, he is young. I seemingly remember Charles Woodson missing a lot of time his first few seasons with shoulder injuries and a broken leg a time or two.
That's the truth, and by all accounts he's a hard-working kid so it's tough not to root for him. But man... the biggest knock on him was how raw he is as a route-runner and we're entering year 3 with him being unable to play or even practice due to injuries. It just sucks hard for his development.

I really think the only impact he can be expected to have this season is on bubble/tunnel screens, slants, and go-routes. I don't really trust him on much else... maybe comebacks.
I think he's most effective on go-routes where he can go up and high point a pass (a la the Cowboys game last year against Mo Claiborne). He excelled at that in college and I think it translates to the pros for him. It was just unfortunate that he got hurt in the 4th game of the season, otherwise I think we we would have seen a lot more of those plays from him as the season progressed. I'd also like to see him run more deep posts in man to man coverage. I think he he has the skill-set and talent to consistently beat that coverage and make plays. Just praying the kid has better luck moving forward and can stay out on the field.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

I just want him to learn how to make all his routes look the same at the stem so corners can't get a bead on what route he's planning on running.

A dude with his size/speed/athleticism could be a monster with an accurate QB like Mitch Trubisky. I just don't really have a ton of faith in White developing into that player. Time will tell.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

http://wgnradio.com/2017/05/23/hoge-bea ... es-health/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Very true. The Bears giving so little information really dis nothing positive in this type of situation. If it is a new thing being honest gets the issue out of the way. If its a rest/prevention thing it lets fans understand the plan. The Bears left the situation up to the imagination which leads to the worst case scenario.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I read that and laughed at Hoge's underlined indignation.

"not doing KW any favors..."
"It's not fair to the fans..."

Look. We are fans who care. We have no rights to any team information, we have privileges that are sometimes granted to us. We are the last on the list of priorities to the team in regards to 'need to know'.
So when I read an article that chastises the Bears or any team for being stingy with info, I laugh.

White has been a bust and until he proves otherwise, he's a severely whipped horse that is close to death, but may recover.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:

Look. We are fans who care. We have no rights to any team information, we have privileges that are sometimes granted to us. We are the last on the list of priorities to the team in regards to 'need to know'.
So when I read an article that chastises the Bears or any team for being stingy with info, I laugh.

White has been a bust and until he proves otherwise, he's a severely whipped horse that is close to death, but may recover.
Well stated. Although it does serve the Bears interest on some level by giving us things to be hopeful about, which can suppress negativeness.

I liked your correct use of "rights" and "privileges" as if you were Constitutional scholar. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

Well stated. Although it does serve the Bears interest on some level by giving us things to be hopeful about, which can suppress negativeness.

I liked your correct use of "rights" and "privileges" as if you were Constitutional scholar. :)
I like to surprise people...
One of my favorite encounters was with a customer who was an English Professor (I do pavers patios and walkways). I'd been working a hot week and was almost done with the project when the guy asked if he could add on more work to what I was currently doing.
I looked at him and said: "I've wade into blood so deep, to go back is just as easy as to go o'er"
He did a double take and was like "What...Shakespeare...from you?"
"Well, I am an educated man!"
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

But nowhere in the article did Hoge claim any rights or privileges, he talked about fairness which is quite another thing.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

staleystarch wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

But nowhere in the article did Hoge claim any rights or privileges, he talked about fairness which is quite another thing.
The article's been "updated" which means edited to sound better...LOL

Originally he came off as a whiny, indignant "person" who's rights had been violated. Someone must have finally read it and told him to tone it down.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
staleystarch wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

The article's been "updated" which means edited to sound better...LOL

Originally he came off as a whiny, indignant "person" who's rights had been violated. Someone must have finally read it and told him to tone it down.
Ah! Just like the Ministry Of Truth. :)
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

To me "bust" is a strong word for someone who has not really played. My definition of a bust is a guy who was drafted high, had high expectations, played until his suck factor forced the team to bench, then let him go.

White currently is a question mark that could end up as a "never was." Someone who doesn't/cannot play due to injuries, that is just damn unfortunate.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Anyone who never lives up to a top 10 draft pick is a bust. Doesn't matter why or how...bust is bust.

If you want to leave your self some space for the sake of being subjective, that's fine by me, but by pure definition, White has been a bust so far.

And on edit, I'll take it 1 step further...as a rebuilding team desperate for stars, a first round pick needs to be a game changer not a guy people are hoping can even make the field.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Anyone who never lives up to a top 10 draft pick is a bust. Doesn't matter why or how...bust is bust.

If you want to leave your self some space for the sake of being subjective, that's fine by me, but by pure definition, White has been a bust so far.

And on edit, I'll take it 1 step further...as a rebuilding team desperate for stars, a first round pick needs to be a game changer not a guy people are hoping can even make the field.
You make it sound like your measuring stick for 1st rounders is different, based on whether your team has more or less great players. Isn't that a bit unfair?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

which of these 1st round bear's picks were draft busts:

-gabe carimi
-chris williams
-marc columbo
-kyle fuller
-curtis enis
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Anyone who never lives up to a top 10 draft pick is a bust. Doesn't matter why or how...bust is bust.

You make it sound like your measuring stick for 1st rounders is different, based on whether your team has more or less great players. Isn't that a bit unfair?
No not unfair.

If a team is stuck picking high in the first round and those first rounders never pan out, the team will not have success. It's easier to recover from a top first round pick now that the cap is bigger and the salary for top 10 guys is moderated, but you need your top draft picks to produce if you're going to have success.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:which of these 1st round bear's picks were draft busts:

-gabe carimi
-chris williams
-marc columbo
-kyle fuller
-curtis enis
I loved Carimi and Columbo, but neither did much after their injuries. Unfortunate, and callous to call them busts, but by definition they did not live up to their potential.

Williams failed to live up to expectations by far, but did well as a pulling left guard for a season or two. He couldn't power through a DT but could kick an end or LB out well enough with some steam behind him.

Fuller seems to be on his last chance to stay on the team and that's not good for a first round pick.

Enis held out, got hurt and had his best games as a FB...not what you want in your hopeful feature back
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Carimi and Colombo both started for other teams after there injuries.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Carimi and Colombo both started for other teams after there injuries.
Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf also started games in the NFL...surely they are not busts either.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Carimi and Colombo both started for other teams after there injuries.
Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf also started games in the NFL...surely they are not busts either.
Yeah, but not more than a couple. Carimi and Colombo both started quite a few games after leaving.

Carimi (pick #29) started 10 more games out of 30 after he left. So possibly still in but territory.

Colombo (pick #29) started 83 games for the cowboys. Bascially 5 1/2 seasons out of 6.

Russell (pick #1) never played for nor started for another team in the NFL besides the Raiders.

Leaf (pick #2) played in 4 games, started 3, outside of his stint with the chargers.

Leaf and Russell are colossal busts, and not via the injury route. Colombo is a solid first rounder with basically 6-7 seasons as a first rounder he just didn't workout while here. Carimi is an injury failure but still started quite a bit and played 4-5 years.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Yeah, but not more than a couple. Carimi and Colombo both started quite a few games after leaving.

Carimi (pick #29) started 10 more games out of 30 after he left. So possibly still in but territory.

Colombo (pick #29) started 83 games for the cowboys. Bascially 5 1/2 seasons out of 6.

Russell (pick #1) never played for nor started for another team in the NFL besides the Raiders.

Leaf (pick #2) played in 4 games, started 3, outside of his stint with the chargers.

Leaf and Russell are colossal busts, and not via the injury route. Colombo is a solid first rounder with basically 6-7 seasons as a first rounder he just didn't workout while here. Carimi is an injury failure but still started quite a bit and played 4-5 years.
I only remember Colombo starting for 2 years in Dallas.
But before we go too far down the rabbit trail, neither he nor Carimi had no where near the career you'd hope for when drafting them in the first round. so that still means bust IMO.
Magnum_Ursus
Player of the Month

Carimi was a bad pick, he didn't have the technique or athleticism, he in fact had some negative technique that the predraft people didn't pick out but the NFL teams sure did.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Carimi was a BAD pick. Awful. The guy could not play T to save his life. He had no feet and was slow as shit. The only reason he got drafted at 29 was because Mike Tice knew him since childhood, and personally vouched for his talent. We all know how good Tice was as an OC. Carimi was a bust.
wab
Mod

Meh, this has nothing to do with White, and they were drafted by a GM who was two GMs ago.
UOK
Site Admin

White participated in OTAs today, for what it's worth.
Mjiton
Rookie

Did he re-re-break his leg reading the play book?
Just my 2 cents