Bears claim FB Michael Burton off waivers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Rated as the No. 3 fullback in the NFL during his rookie season of 2015 by Pro Football Focus, Burton's role decreased when the Lions changed offensive coordinators to Jim Bob Cooter.

Burton's snaps count went from 22 percent of offensive plays to less than 10 percent. He had 10 touches -- including a touchdown catch -- as a rookie but none in 2016.

True to the team-first mentality he displayed as a walk-on turned co-captain at Rutgers, Burton never griped about getting what could be perceived as a raw deal.

In a corresponding roster move, the Lions signed running back Matt Asiata, who rushed for 1,259 yards and 18 touchdowns during five seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. The 219-pound Asiata is a goal-line back who likely will fill the lead blocker role when needed.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hmm.

*looks at wab*
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

TE Franko House was released to make room on the roster.
wab
Mod

I got nothing.
G08
Hall of Famer

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college ... /15019933/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/blo ... urton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

It's important to acknowledge that he was released because of scheme, not because of talent or injury. He's only 25. I love me the fullback position, so I hope he makes the most of it.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Rated as the No. 3 fullback in the NFL during his rookie season of 2015 by Pro Football Focus,
It's important to note that there were only three active fb's in the NFL in 2015
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
UOK wrote:Rated as the No. 3 fullback in the NFL during his rookie season of 2015 by Pro Football Focus,
It's important to note that there were only three active fb's in the NFL in 2015
Well if that's the case, then good thing he ranked in the top 3.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

There's a competition with rookie Freddie Stevenson. I like it. Freddie can obviously block, but I'm down with which ever one has better hands. With some shaky wideouts, the more options for Glennon/Trubisky, the better.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

This can only help Howard. He had his production fall away in short yardage situations last year against 8 man fronts.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Well if that's the case, then good thing he ranked in the top 3.
:rofl:

nice spin on his rookie year efforts

I'm curious though how the part time H-back guys figure into this ... are their stats listed as RB's or Receivers? or included in the FB stats?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

85 rating in Madden, FWIW.

(said that just for you, UOK!) :lol:

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:85 rating in Madden, FWIW.

(said that just for you, UOK!) :lol:
G08
Hall of Famer

If you're curious how the FB is used in our offense (Shanahan and Loggains run a fairly similar system), here's a nice read:

https://ninernoise.com/2017/05/21/49ers ... offense/2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's fun stuff... you can get some really cheap chunks of yardage if you commit to using the FB in running situations. I personally am a fan of it, but it will likely limit us to 1 TE attached to the OL in those scenarios.

ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Out of curiosity, what percentage of our offensive snaps last year had a FB either blocking or was pass-eligible during the play?

Anyone know?
UOK
Site Admin

ramentaschen wrote:Out of curiosity, what percentage of our offensive snaps last year had a FB either blocking or was pass-eligible during the play?

Anyone know?
I don't have exact figures, but I feel like Paul Lasike got a lot of implementation when he was active. They used Unrein in goal line situations sometimes too.
G08
Hall of Famer

Great read here, pretty much why I am excited about this Burton signing:

https://theringer.com/nfl-offensive-str ... e0ae117091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Great read here, pretty much why I am excited about this Burton signing:

https://theringer.com/nfl-offensive-str ... e0ae117091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While I'm no novelist, I alluded to this shift in my reasoning to contemplate drafting Fournette back in February.
I think with QB talent levels possibly going down, the turn back towards power running will come back around
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

The NFL is cyclical; I just hope we are smart enough to be out in front of this thing.

Looking at Sims and Shaheen, plus how we claimed Burton off waivers, it wouldn't shock me if 12 personnel was our base, with some 21 and 22 mixed in for fun since our WRs suck.

Middleguard
MVP

UOK wrote:
ramentaschen wrote:Out of curiosity, what percentage of our offensive snaps last year had a FB either blocking or was pass-eligible during the play?

Anyone know?
I don't have exact figures, but I feel like Paul Lasike got a lot of implementation when he was active. They used Unrein in goal line situations sometimes too.
Sorry, I like to get to these things sooner, but sometimes even retirees have other things to do.

Lasike played in 10 games last year (starting 3), including all 3 games that Unrein was out. Unrein, however, only played one offensive down (in a game Lasike did not dress).

Lasike participated in 8% of offensive plays (12% in the 10 games he was in).

Bears played 3 TEs in every game except the final two (in which they played four and no FB).