R4. Tarik Cohen... RB
18%
R5. Jordan Morgan... OG
No votes

Total votes: 40
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

At this point it has to be Adam Shaheen for me for the following reasons:
  • He's a pass catching TE whose blocking needs work. Miller is really the only other pass catching TE, he has an unfortunate injury history and a lot of posters here have doubts about whether he will even make the roster.

Given the Bears situation (new QBs, quality RB, lacklustre WR corps etc.) most expect the Bears to be a run first team and use a lot of two TE sets so there's plenty of potential for him to get on the field.

He's a big red zone target who caught a lot of TDs in college, albeit not at the highest level. He may or may not get a lot of receptions, but I expect him to get a few TDs because of this. The red zone offense was awful last year and that was with Jeffery. I don't see any of the current WRs being better options.

He's been getting reps with the first team during OTAs and Mini Camp.
Mitch Trubisky isn't expected to start ahead of Glennon at present and is therefore only going to get limited reps in practice. The only way I can see him getting meaningful game time is if Glennon sucks big time or picks up a season-ending injury. If Glennon is out with a short-term injury I think they're more likely to roll with Sanchez for a game or two rather than throw in Trubisky.

Eddie Jackson would be more of a contender for me, given the paucity of talent at safety, if he had been a full participant in the offseason program, but he's being eased back slowly from his broken leg. Fox is so conservative I expect him to go with Amos, at least initially. If Jackson shows starter potential then it's less likely that he'll be asked to field punts given that it was on a return that he broke his leg last year.

Tarik Cohen may be an exciting player to watch, but at 5'6 and 180lbs he's not going to be spelling Howard when he needs a breather. He'll have to have a package of plays specifically designed for him and that means he won't see the field for more than a handful of snaps a game at best.

Jordan Morgan is unlikely to make the 53. The team has too much talent on the interior and he's very raw, so it's much more likely that he'll wind up on the practice squad.
G08
Hall of Famer

Jackson said he's 100% healed and that Fox wanted him to take it easy until Training Camp.

I hope the kid starts opposite Demps, I really do.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Jackson said he's 100% healed and that Fox wanted him to take it easy until Training Camp.

I hope the kid starts opposite Demps, I really do.
I hope he at least takes the nickle job from HJQ. It would be nice if the Bears are able field a nice quality trio of safeties again at some point in my lifetime.

I like Jackson a lot. I don't like Demps as much as a lot of people do, but I get the signing. It would be great if Jackson, Amos, and Bush could be those guys in the future (and I know everyone hates Bush for some reason).
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:(and I know everyone hates Bush for some reason).
I've preferred shaved since I was in high school...

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Hey Oh!
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hey Oh!
Truthfully, I still am not a fan of Deon Bush because of that blown coverage against Green Bay. Not fair to hold it against a rookie, but I am at this point.

Demps is a proven veteran that recognizes routes and knows how to get his defense lined up properly. Eddie Jackson, by all accounts, was that type of presence in Alabama's secondary. Putting him next to Demps allows him to lean on a veteran a bit while still learning the NFL game.

My only concern is his size and, IMO, "fear" of sticking his nose in support. Dude shies away from contact.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I went with Shaheen because of the red zone opportunities and targets he'll receive in general. I think Miller will be traded or cut (most likely cut) before the season starts leaving Sims and Shaheen as the primary two TE's. Even though Shaheen's 40 yard dash and agility drills weren't great for an NFL TE - he still plays faster in pads IMO. I think he'll be able to create separation and use his size to his advantage against NFL safeties and LB's trying to cover him. Without a proven WR target, I can see Shaheen being a security blanket for Glennon early on - especially since they're both 6'6.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hey Oh!
Truthfully, I still am not a fan of Deon Bush because of that blown coverage against Green Bay. Not fair to hold it against a rookie, but I am at this point.
See. You and I stuck up for Conte through alllllll of the bad, including a blown coverage against Green Bay. I feel like I've seen some flashes in him that give me hope.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hey Oh!
See. You and I stuck up for Conte through alllllll of the bad, including a blown coverage against Green Bay. I feel like I've seen some flashes in him that give me hope.
I was with you on Conte, not because I thought he was great--he certainly wasn't--but because he was SO reviled that fans seriously undervalued him, IMO. Deon Bush... Not so much. :-p
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
landing strips...
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:
G08 wrote:
landing strips...
yeah, it's kind of fun when they use some creativity with their landscaping
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Landscaping?

:rofl:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:For the record, I really liked this draft. My only complaint (and it's a significant one) is that there isn't a single day one starter among them.
I'll disagree and go with Eddie Jackson as a starting safety on opening day ... he is fully healed from his broken leg and is opening many eyes so far

I know it's early, but I have no doubt he is the real deal
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:For the record, I really liked this draft. My only complaint (and it's a significant one) is that there isn't a single day one starter among them.
I'll disagree and go with Eddie Jackson as a starting safety on opening day ... he is fully healed from his broken leg and is opening many eyes so far

When I posted this, his health and readiness was still fairly uncertain.

But...I also voted for Jackson.
wab wrote:I'm going with Jackson. Aside from Demps, there isn't much standing in his way from seeing the field a lot, assuming his leg is fine of course.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

When I posted this, his health and readiness was still fairly uncertain.

But...I also voted for Jackson.
wab wrote:I'm going with Jackson. Aside from Demps, there isn't much standing in his way from seeing the field a lot, assuming his leg is fine of course.

Yes you did ... I put him as a close second behind Cohen.

Now I think he is going to exceed Cohen because he will be a starter and Cohen won't.
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

From all I've been hearing, Shaheen seems like the runaway winner to be. But games have yet to be played.

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I'm giving Jackson the edge over Shaheen based on punt return skills.
BearDen
Journeyman

I have to go with Shaheen for this season. I think Trubisky will be best overall, but unfortunately I don't see him seeing much game time.
72footballtalk
Rookie

I would definitely say, Shaheen. He is really the only one that I can see getting a lot of playing time. If the Bears really are committed to Glennon, it Wont be Trubisky. Cohen will be overshadowed by Howard it seems too. I think that Adam Shaheen has a real opportunity to become the starting TE especially after what he has been displaying in Training camp. We might just see Zach Miller get traded.

Behind him i think that Tanner Gentry a UDFA this year has a legitimate chance of making an impact on the team.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Here is a link to an interesting article I read this morning. Looks, like the next step for Fangio is to see how Jackson tackles in the preseason games. At least that is my take.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
malk
Head Coach

Bar for Morgan who I've heard very little about this class does look like it could turn out nicely. Super early obviously but we've got nice looking potential in three areas of need (QB, TE and FS) plus Cohen is the change of pace back we've been after.

Of course they all might still bust out, QBing is hard, Jackson might not be able to tackle, Cohen is tiny... but I'm liking the draft more now than I did in the immediate aftermath.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BearDen
Journeyman

malk wrote:Bar for Morgan who I've heard very little about this class does look like it could turn out nicely. Super early obviously but we've got nice looking potential in three areas of need (QB, TE and FS) plus Cohen is the change of pace back we've been after.

Of course they all might still bust out, QBing is hard, Jackson might not be able to tackle, Cohen is tiny... but I'm liking the draft more now than I did in the immediate aftermath.
Agreed. This is the least disappointed I've been after a draft in a while.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

adam hoge is fully erect.

Hoge’s 10 Bears Things: Catching Up With Ryan Pace’s Third Draft Class

Ryan Pace’s third crop of rookies just feels like a bigger deal, mainly because he essentially bet his job on Mitch Trubisky back in April. But the swirl of criticism Pace saw during the draft didn’t just stop with Trubisky. He was also widely criticized for using three of his five picks on small school guys and another on a safety with a rod in his leg — the only defensive player he picked in what was considered a deep defensive draft.

But know this: there’s been a quiet confidence permeating from Lake Forest since draft weekend. It’s not just the front office that is excited about this group of rookies. John Fox loves them too. In fact, the entire coaching staff does.

So while you might read this in Athlon Sports Pro Football Preview magazine — “Despite GM Ryan Pace’s protestations to the contrary, the Bears are unlikely to get much immediate help from this draft class” — the reality is likely much different. In fact, even with Trubisky set to “redshirt,” it would not be surprising to see three of the Bears’ five draft picks play major roles as soon as Week 1.

http://wgnradio.com/2017/08/09/hoges-10 ... aft-class/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;