Training Camp report 8/8/17

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm going to start out by saying that many things didn't go right for me today. I got a late start out of the gate (my fault) and then I ran into road construction in 2 places along my trip that really set me back. Without the road issues, I should've arrived right about the time practice began. Instead, road closures (on farm roads) took me 30 minutes out of the way. So practice started around 10:30 and I arrived about 11:00. And then it took about 10 minutes for me to get from my car to the practice field. And because I got there late, I got an OK seat, but one that was blocked by a sign, which limited my viewing of the line play.

It was a good day for the defense. The offense was not very efficient, particularly early on. Things got somewhat better when they ran the 2 minute drills. And then at the end, they did well in red zone. But that's not so hard when you get to start 10 yards away. The QBs were generally pretty inconsistent. There were a fairly outrageous number of offsides and false start penalties.

The player of the day had to be Tanner Gentry. Since I had heard good things about him, he was a player I wanted to isolate on. And he put on a show. The first time I saw him get thrown to, he had the defender on his hip 35 yards downfield and Trubisky badly underthrew the ball for an int. But if he had laid it out, it could've been a long gainer. I saw Gentry catch 3 others that were all TDs or close to it, only one of them in red zone. That guy is slippery smooth and has a knack of getting behind the defender. Not running away, but enough so that a well placed ball will be his alone. And he has some ability to go up and battle for the ball in the air.

QBs...
The QB of the day was Mark Sanchez (#2). He did well to limit his mistakes. He played with enthusiasm and took what was there.

Glennon (#1) was second best. He failed to sufficiently limit his errors. He threw a terrible overthrow for a Demps int early on and that wasn't his only bad throw. He dumped it off a couple of times when he had an open guy running free downfield. But he warmed up as practice continued and improved by the end.

Trubisky (#3) has the best arm and is the best athlete. But he'd make good and bad throws. Perhaps more to the point, he just didn't look like a WC QB. His pocket timing just wasn't there. He ran way more than the other guys, which isn't necessarily bad, I suppose. But it's not how you draw it up. He did more stepping up and buying time to make a late throw. Sometimes that would work. Other times not.

From what I saw, the talk about "how will Trubisky handle the huddle and snaps under center" looked like a non-issue. It's an overrated problem.

Goat of the day... Reuben Randle. There's been no talk about this vet and now I can see why. While he did catch a TD in the red zone drill, he had 2 terrible plays. Once on a crossing route, Trubisky hit him right in front of the numbers and he looked like he brought it in, then coughed it up to the safety who was 5 yards away. Later, they had each group run a hail mary play. On Trubisky's, Randle got behind everybody in the right corner, standing as the throw dropped into his hands. And to the ground. Doh!

I will say that Kyle long did play a few snaps. Not many. Maybe a dozen. Sorry that I don't have more info on who was playing OL.

The defense looked pretty good. They really swallowed up the running game. And on way too many pass plays, they would've gotten pressure, but just strolled on by. And the pass D played aggressively. Saw PDs by Prince, LeBlanc, Hall (playing S) and others. Interceptions by Demps (too easy), Fuller for a pick-6 against Trubisky from the red zone that ended practice and 2 others that I didn't identify.

Other individual players that I took notice of:

WRs...
Kevin White: Eh. Made a couple of fairly easy catches and didn't stand out at all. Did drop one when Glennon tried to hit him as he cut inside. But either the throw was early or his turn was late as he didn't pick up the ball. Looked to me like a rounded route and White got his head around late.

But to be fair, other than Gentry, none of the WRs did much. I didn't see many throws to Cruz or Meredith.

TEs...
Miller and Sims look ready to go now. Miller was open at will. Sims didn't play much, but he caught a TD early in practice.

Shaheen had a couple catches and looks like he can play. He moves like Miller.

Conveniently, all 3 of the above were resting right in front of me. Shaheen is 3-4" taller than Miller and thicker. But I was surprised that Sims was an eyelash thicker than Shaheen. Having seen that Shaheen lacks a tight body, I can't help but think that after an offseason of serious NFL weight training, that guy is going to be a beast.

Brown made a couple of non-descript plays. Braunecker and Pruitt look like just guys.

RBs...
Jordan Howard was just going thru the motions. He would get into a defensive stalemate and just fall down. It looked like it was on purpose. Or maybe he was slipping. It looked weird.

You could see the electricity in Tarik Cohen. The speed and quickness was evident, although i was wishing for more of the plant, change direction and leave defender's jock on the ground. He looked like the #2 KR guy after Thompson.

Cunningham and Carey played a lot.

It must've been the new RB Rounds who was wearing Bouagnon's roster card number 37o and jeez was he quick. He got my attention.

I don't know where K Andy Phillips was. Never saw him.

Also, the Bears have done an excellent job at ONU of having practice fields that emulate Soldier Field. I counted 5x when guys just fell down because the grass gave way.

That's all I've got. Sorry, I didn't have a better report.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Thanks Mike. Always good to have an authentic look at these practices.

Very encouraging to have a potential gem in Gentry since that seems to be our big position of weakness. Also like hearing that Rounds is quick and sounds like a viable option.

Wish you would have gotten a look to see who was playing Center, though. Was curious whether they moved Grasu to Center or if they put Morgan in at Guard. Also wanted to know where they put Greene in the scheme of things - OT or Guard.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i was just listening to chris emma on the score and he said long played like two series, and that it looks like bears are preparing for the very real possibility he's not available at the start of the season.

thanks for this m5! also you missed it, andy phillips cut the other day. ITHS BARTH THIME
G08
Hall of Famer

Thanks man!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

Philips was cut yesterday.

Great write up! Interesting to read about Howard and White kind of going at 50%.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Many thanks for a great report once again.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Adipost
MVP

Thanks for the info!
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Thanks sir, I like reading these from guys here.

Gentry is one guy I would like to see out there. The last one to play for the Bears was ok...
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Nice read and analysis

thanks for reporitng this
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Philips was cut yesterday.

Great write up! Interesting to read about Howard and White kind of going at 50%.
Just so we're clear... Howard was kinda laying down. No indication that White was doing that. He just wasn't doing anything to stand out.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

I read elsewhere that Howard slipped a few times.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

Is Howard injured and being held back or something? Or is he just not a very active participant?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Is Howard injured and being held back or something? Or is he just not a very active participant?
Zeglinski said the other day that he doubts he's trying, because everyone knows he's getting 300+ carries this year and there's no reason to risk injury.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
UOK wrote:Is Howard injured and being held back or something? Or is he just not a very active participant?
Zeglinski said the other day that he doubts he's trying, because everyone knows he's getting 300+ carries this year and there's no reason to risk injury.
Exactly.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Yeah, it's probably a real good idea. I saw Vontaze Burfict tackling Gio Bernard at the knees the other day during supposed non-contact drills the other day. Unfortunately, Bernard is recovering from some type of knee soft tissue surgery, which set off a huge brawl between offense and defensive players (started by the Olinemen).

I'd be sick if J. Howard got taken out in preseason.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was wondering as it does make total sense. It sure looked weird to me that the guy was just falling down though.