30 Day Challenge: All Time Favorite Offensive Lineman

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

I have to say I am a Keith Van Horne Guy. He just looked the part of an RT in his day.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Jimbo Covert was my all time favorite OL. Olin comes in a close 2nd with Kyle Long not too far behind.
Never Die Easy
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

He was not the best O lineman the Bears ever had but he was fun to watch and a great interview. The Buddha, Noah Jackson.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

John Tait was as solid as it was for us... Ruben Brown gets an honorable mention.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Hematite
Player of the Month

Kruetz all the way for me. He demanded effort from everybody on the team and didn't put up with shit.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:Kruetz all the way for me. He demanded effort from everybody on the team and didn't put up with shit.
i dont know if i'm being unfair, but it's hard for me to separate the very good player kreutz was for the majority of his career from the last 2 or 3 years when he was complete garbage, and then the fit he threw at the end of his tenure as the bear's transitioned to life without his rapidly declining ass. (and his sudden retirement mid season with the saints when it was extra apparent that he had absoultely nothing left).
Hematite
Player of the Month

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Hematite wrote:Kruetz all the way for me. He demanded effort from everybody on the team and didn't put up with shit.
i dont know if i'm being unfair, but it's hard for me to separate the very good player kreutz was for the majority of his career from the last 2 or 3 years when he was complete garbage, and then the fit he threw at the end of his tenure as the bear's transitioned to life without his rapidly declining ass. (and his sudden retirement mid season with the saints when it was extra apparent that he had absoultely nothing left).
I don't disagree with you fully, however, the last time the Bears were relevant and actually won games, it was Olin that controlled the locker room and made sure everybody was in line. A quote from Urlacher in a recent article.... Urlacher said. “That locker room was so solid. Olin Kreutz, Lance (Briggs), Charles (Tillman) – we had a good locker room. You could bring anyone in there, and it wouldn’t have mattered. They would fit in. Olin would make sure of that.”
karhu
Head Coach

I liked Kreutz plenty as a player, but I liked him more as a leader.

Call me an alter kocker, but I've never seen a better lineman than Jim Covert with a good back. Just off-the-charts balance, power, quickness, range, and smarts. I'm not sure we ever doubled Lawrence Taylor when Covert was healthy, and I'm not sure that Taylor ever did much against him.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.