Who would YOU rather have on the roster, Carey or Langford?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Who would YOU rather have, Langford or Carey?

Ka'Deem Carey
74%
Jeremy Langford
26%

Total votes: 27
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I went with Langford. Neither one has shown much so far, but Langford has better speed for the outside zone and better hands as a receiver. If nothing else Langford has more potential on special teams.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Carey, because he does not fall to the ground just because a defensive lineman breathed near him.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Wounded Bear
MVP

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:I went with Langford. Neither one has shown much so far, but Langford has better speed for the outside zone and better hands as a receiver. If nothing else Langford has more potential on special teams.
I voted for Carey, but I do think that Langford is a very raw athlete with a lot of potential.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
docc
Head Coach

Ka'Boom certainly..

Pounds the rock..get some good blocking and he golden. Maybe trying to pound through a wall of d men with no blocks can hurt a player..
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I have to postpone my decision on these two for now because:

Carey is the guy who can spell Howard.

Cohen doesn't bump anyone quite yet - he might not be an improvement over Langford, we'll know more shortly.

If 4 running backs is hugely wasteful, then I'm definitely a big fat slob.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This wasn't an easy one for me. Carey's style and skill set is generally more of my preference. Yet at the same time, Langford--with his faults--is actually dangerous in the open field. The tiebreaker for me was Carey's multiple concussions. If the guy can't play, he's no good to us.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

Moriarty wrote:
wab wrote:Fox generally keeps 4 RBs. So Cunningham's presence is irrelevant for this poll.
Fox does keep 4 at times, but not that much:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... i/2015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... i/2016.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fox in Denver and Chicago:
5 WR + 3 TE + 3 QB + 3 RB + 1 FB = 15 in 2011
5 WR + 3 TE + 2 QB + 4 RB + 1 FB = 15 in 2012
5 WR + 4 TE + 3 QB + 4 RB + 0 FB = 16 in 2013
6 WR + 3 TE + 2 QB + 4 RB + 0 FB = 15 in 2014
6 WR + 3 TE + 3 QB + 4 RB + 0 FB = 16 in 2015
6 WR + 3 TE + 2 QB + 3 RB + 1 FB = 15 in 2016

Although he usually keeps 4 RBs, I expect him to keep 3 QBs and a FB this year, which makes it unlikely he will keep 4 RBs this year (but 5WR3TE3QB4RB1FB=16 would not break the pattern).
Wounded Bear
MVP

Mikefive wrote:If the guy can't play, he's no good to us.
Excellent point.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
wab
Mod

Wounded Bear wrote:
Excellent point.
I'd rather the Bears have a guy who can't play because of the occasional injury over a guy who can't play because he's no good.
Wounded Bear
MVP

wab wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:
Excellent point.
I'd rather the Bears have a guy who can't play because of the occasional injury over a guy who can't play because he's no good.
I totally agree, but I suppose it's how you define an "occasional injury." Carey has missed 9 games in the last 2 years, so I wouldn't define 28% as "occasional," but, as I said before, that is subjective.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
wab
Mod

If he was a starter then I'd agree. He's a 5-10 carry a game guy. And he can do more with those 5-10 carries than Langford can with 15-20.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Steezy wrote:I don't know why drafting Cohen means anything at this point. Let's be honest, Cohen is probably headed to an ambulance well before any pro bowls.
The reason why drafting Cohen means anything this year is because he was drafted this year and GM's seldomly (or reluctantly) cut first year draft picks because it would be admission that they (the GM and staff) didn't know what they were doing during the draft and they had wasted a valuable draft pick.

Now your point about him ending up in an ambulance may be very well true, but my point above is why Cohen is not going anywhere this year and is guaranteed at the very least a practice squad spot. It reflects even better on the GM and staff if Cohen lands on the regular roster, so you know that Pace and co. are probably rooting for the kid.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Middleguard
MVP

If Cohen winds up on the practice squad it reflects even worse on the staff. Not only does he have to be cut before he can be put on the PS, but it also means no other team wanted him either.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

As I am going over fantasy football options for drafts.... I saw a note that Langford isn't recovering well from ankle injury and might not be ready for camp. I know nothing of this. But isn't good for him to earn the main backup role (and if he can't lock that down he may be gone). I can't see the team not making room for cohen,
wab
Mod

He'd probably start off on the PUP. And that's why having Cunningham makes sense. I don't think Langford was a lock for the backup role anyway.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

aaaaaand it begins:

Published: July 28, 2017 at 03:31 p.m. Updated: July 28, 2017 at 06:52 p.m.
One of the brighter spots on the Bears' roster was not at practice Friday.

Running back Jeremy Langford missed practice due to an ankle injury suffered during a walkthrough Thursday, per Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

An ankle sprain is mildly concerning for a running back, not because Langford suffered it during a walkthrough, but because it can become a nagging injury if not properly cared for, based on the severity. It's about as early in camp as we can get, though, so there's little reason to get all worked up on July 28.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

ramentaschen wrote:aaaaaand it begins:

Published: July 28, 2017 at 03:31 p.m. Updated: July 28, 2017 at 06:52 p.m.
One of the brighter spots on the Bears' roster was not at practice Friday.

Running back Jeremy Langford missed practice due to an ankle injury suffered during a walkthrough Thursday, per Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

An ankle sprain is mildly concerning for a running back, not because Langford suffered it during a walkthrough, but because it can become a nagging injury if not properly cared for, based on the severity. It's about as early in camp as we can get, though, so there's little reason to get all worked up on July 28.
I mean really how do you get hurt in a walkthrough?
Middleguard
MVP

Joel Bouganon seemed to impress several observers today. May I make him my training camp hopeful? Why don't we have a thread for that? I thought it was tradition here.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Brad Biggs‏Verified account @BradBiggs Aug 10

#Bears RB Ka'Deem Carey is out with a quad injury. Will not return.
wab
Mod

ramentaschen wrote:Brad Biggs‏Verified account @BradBiggs Aug 10

#Bears RB Ka'Deem Carey is out with a quad injury. Will not return.
Well, that's that.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Tribune and Sun Times both have Carey listed as missing practice today due to a bruised thigh, so hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Langford is still out with an ankle injury. If he doesn't start participating soon you have to begin wondering whether he will make the roster ahead of Carey and Cunningham, especially as he contributes nothing to special teams.

Has Langford practised at all during training camp? If not might they consider putting him on the PUP list to start the season and see how the other RBs perform? If after 6 weeks one has disappointed or picked up an injury they could then activate him.

If Jordan Howard was in Langford's situation then obviously you'd want to give him every opportunity to get back on the field as soon as possible, but given how poorly Langford played last season I don't see any reason for the team to feel that way about him.
Middleguard
MVP

Langford returned and was in limited action yesterday (as was Wheaton).
UOK
Site Admin

Jeremy Langford has his chance, and he blew it in glorious, shitty fashion. Carey has special teams value and takes every carry into the fray with no regard for his well-being. Hard to find guys like that, even if he's destined for a short career and sever brain trauma.