What was your favorite season to watch?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

there are few championship seasons that have happened in our lifetimes but those championship seasons are easy picks

1963 NFL Champions
1985 Super Bowl Champions
2006 NFC Champs, Super Bowl losers

so those 3 seasons are off the table for this particular exercise as we all enjoyed those in one way or another, either by reading the team history or actually watching

and your favorite season to watch doesn't even have to be a winning season ... like 1972 when Bobby Douglass set the rushing record for QB's with 968 yards (14 game season) ... that was fun to watch Douglass run like a bull in a China Shop ... it was unfortunate he didn't pass much better than one of my aunt's (1200 passing yards in 1972) ... but Douglass could actually be entertaining in his passing futility, sometimes comically so (I remember what was supposed to be a screen pass thrown so hard it went off the RB and into the seats behind the visitors bench)

so put away thoughts of glory and winning and think of pure entertainment ... and what season comes to mind for you?

for me it was the magical mystical 2001 season ... the season where very odd things happened and happened in favor of the Bears for a change, where every odd weird bounce seemed to go their way ... and of course the defining moment of that season was Keith Traylor

[video][/video]

Mike Brown had his magic moments, but for me, Keith Traylor defined 2001
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Since I was not yet on the pro football bandwagon in 1963, I did not see the '63 Championship. Besides, I grew up on the South side and in 1963 a lot of people in the neighborhood were still mad about the football Cardinals moving to St. Louis and I was still a casual Lombardi Packers fan. That brings me to my point. Seeing the light, I became a full blown Bears fan in 1970. So when the year 1977 rolled around I was dying to see the Bears in the playoffs for the first time. 1977 was also the year Walter Payton took the season rushing title and broke the single game rushing record. The final regular season game against the Giants in an icy stadium was classic.
[video][/video]
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

ah yes, the Slush Bowl season ... 1977 also had one of the favorite Bears games I ever attended, their win over the Chiefs in the final minutes ... that ended up being the start of the winning streak that got them to the Slush Bowl season finale and their shot at the playoffs
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I really liked that 2001 season. Well, the regular season anyway. It was one of those rags to riches seasons that no one expected.

And then of course the 2006 run was a lot of fun to watch.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:ah yes, the Slush Bowl season ... 1977 also had one of the favorite Bears games I ever attended, their win over the Chiefs in the final minutes ... that ended up being the start of the winning streak that got them to the Slush Bowl season finale and their shot at the playoffs
I believe that KC game was the week after the Bears lost to Houston 47-0 and all looking to be lost. Walter Payton's most replayed highlight is also from that KC game, wasn't it?
[video][/video]
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:Walter Payton's most replayed highlight is also from that KC game, wasn't it?
[video][/video]
yes ... Payton was pretty much the offense all day until that final half minute

and I actually found the highlight that shows the wide open Greg Latta catching the winning TD and running right towards where we were sitting ... can't see us on the clip (the guy who jumped onto the field was next to us) but we were right at the edge screaming our lungs out

[video][/video]
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:I really liked that 2001 season. Well, the regular season anyway. It was one of those rags to riches seasons that no one expected.

2001 was the most fun, just because they were supposed to be garbage and came out of nowhere. Cardiac arrest finishes and weird, hilarious moments. Reinvigorated a ton of interest in the franchise after so many ragtag years.

2006 was great because the team wasn't just winning, they were beating team's asses inside out (for the most part). It loses fun status because of everything that happened after Hester's return.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Off the top of my head, 1984. You could see the D becoming dominant and they were mean has hell. Beating the Redskins in the playoffs and watching Todd Bell destroy dudes, it was the sign of the things to come for the team. Payton was dominating. McMahon was kicking ass when healthy and you realized that he had to be the QB for the team to win.

Dent, Hamp and Mongo were kicking ass and taking names.

I had never looked more forward to a season than 85 because of the performance in '84. I thought it was the start of multiple Super Bowls.

'78 was awesome as well, only for the fact the Bears were less than 10 yds shy of having 2 1000 yd rushers. Roland Harper fell 5-10 damn yds short :frustrated: AS a duo that almost had 100 receptions between them as well. Damn wanted Harper to get 1000 so bad.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:I really liked that 2001 season. Well, the regular season anyway. It was one of those rags to riches seasons that no one expected.

2001 was the most fun, just because they were supposed to be garbage and came out of nowhere. Cardiac arrest finishes and weird, hilarious moments. Reinvigorated a ton of interest in the franchise after so many ragtag years.
That team had a fun personality too. Especially on the offensive and defensive lines. Big Cat, Olin, Ted Washington, Bryan Robinson, Keith Traylor, Blake Brockermeyer. Those were some dudes.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Since 2006 is off the table, I will say I did enjoy the 2005 season as well, in addition to the 2001 season.

The 2005 season was enjoyable to watch because we won the division, got a 1st round bye. The defense was up and coming with a young core. They were fun to watch.
Never Die Easy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

1988, had us beating the Eagles in the fog Bowl, and we swept the Packers. Ditka had his heart attack and was back after missing a game.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!