PFT preseason power rankings No. 30: Chicago Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

PFT preseason power rankings No. 30: Chicago Bears
Biggest positive change: The Bears will be healthier this year. How do we know that? Because they had so many injuries last year that they simply have to be healthier this year. FootballOutsiders.com uses a statistic called Adjusted Games Lost that factors in not just how many players missed games but how important those players were (so a starter missing time hurts more than a backup missing time), and how many players were ineffective because they were playing through injuries that had them listed as questionable on the injury report. Football Outsiders injury data goes back to 2000, and in that time no team was hit worse by injuries than the 2016 Bears. Regression toward the mean suggests that the Bears will be much healthier in 2017.

Biggest negative change: The biggest negative change, really, is not much change at all: The Bears were 3-13 last year, and it’s hard to see where they’ve really improved significantly. The players they have should be healthier than last year, but is the talent any better? It doesn’t look that way, which is why it’s easy to envision another last-place finish in the NFC North.

Coaching thermometer: John Fox’s seat isn’t exactly a boiling 212 degrees, but it’s probably around 175: He was brought in to replace Marc Trestman, who was fired after going 13-19 in two seasons, and Fox himself has done even worse, going 9-23 in two seasons. If the Bears aren’t showing signs of improvement at the end of the season, Fox may be sent packing.

We’d like to crack a beer with . . . Jordan Howard. We’d like to get a beer or two in Howard and hear whether he’s envious at all of Ezekiel Elliott for being drafted into a much better situation than Howard was. As a rookie running back in Chicago last year, Howard finished second in the NFL in rushing yards, behind only Elliott. Yet Elliott was doing it on a good team, behind perhaps the league’s best offensive line, while Howard was doing it on a lousy team in Chicago. If Howard thinks he deserves a lot of the credit Elliott is getting (not to mention something more like Elliott’s four-year, $25 million rookie contract, as opposed to Howard’s four-year, $2.6 million contract), it would be hard to blame him.

How they can prove us wrong: If either Glennon or Trubisky emerges as a good starting quarterback, Howard has another strong season and Fox gets his defense shaped up, it’s easy to see a healthier Bears team being a lot better than our No. 30 ranking suggests. But even if the Bears improve significantly, they’re likely to miss the playoffs for the seventh straight season.
hard to argue with this ... there are just a whole lot of questions about the Bears at this point and not enough evidence to accumulate needed answers

I certainly would like for the Bears to surprise many, maybe even themselves, with a successful competitive 2017 ... be the darkhouse threat to supplant others on the road to the playoffs ... while I am hoping for that to happen, I am not going to bet on it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

I read a lot of PFT, but I don't think they do a great job with their rankings, in general. Here, I can't disagree with the analysis or the ranking. I think they're underselling the talent a little bit - I think the secondary, in particular, is much improved, but losing AJ and not getting a stud day-1 starter in the draft do lend to that perception.

I expect the Bears to move up throughout the season, but I don't expect to crack top-20.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not a big "rankings" guy, but I realize it is to get talk stimulated. I just care about the damn record and their place in the division, anything else is secondary. What matters is what happens on the field. I suspected and am not surprised someone would rank them so low, I would to. They need to prove something to get respect. Tired of the off season and not real excited for the regular season. I am not expecting much at all and just tired of seeing a losing product on the field, it has gotten old.
wab
Mod

I may have to start doing power rankings again.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

The emotional Bears fan in me says the Bears go 10-6. But, this is based on on the fantasy that Trubisky starts by week 6 and comes in like Marino did in 1983 already playing like a HOF from his rookie year onward. The thinking me see the 30 spot as just about right and would even nod my head at 31 or 32.
Fox had a history of injury plagued years at Carolina that did not follow him to Denver, but now with the Bears those injuries have returned. I would feel more comfortable about the injuries going down if Fox was not the coach.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Middleguard
MVP

My power ranking for the Bears after the 17th week last year was 31st, so 30 indicates an improved team. Other power rankings I've looked at since the draft average the Bears at 29.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

even if the has improved, we haven't done anything. Have to accomplish something before we can be given any kind of credit for improvement
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!