8.10.17 // BEARS 17, Broncos 24

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

malk wrote:If you don't realise that we missed out on free agents (Bouye, Wagner etc.) because of signing Glennon then I can't help you. The best window to win a Super Bowl is on your rookie QBs first contract. We have lots of positions that needed improvement and we signed a needless QB to starter money (top 25 in the entire NFL money) and gave away lots of draft picks for another QB.

Same as everyone else I hope Trubisky is a world beater but that doesn't stop me thinking that Pace out thought himself this off season. Our roster could and should be better than it is right now.
If you don't realize hat we still have the cap space today to give either of those players the contracts they have now, I can't help you. We didn't sign them because Pace didn't think it was a smart investment. You can disagree, but Glennon has nothing to do with it.
malk
Head Coach

botfly10 wrote:
malk wrote:If you don't realise that we missed out on free agents (Bouye, Wagner etc.) because of signing Glennon then I can't help you. The best window to win a Super Bowl is on your rookie QBs first contract. We have lots of positions that needed improvement and we signed a needless QB to starter money (top 25 in the entire NFL money) and gave away lots of draft picks for another QB.

Same as everyone else I hope Trubisky is a world beater but that doesn't stop me thinking that Pace out thought himself this off season. Our roster could and should be better than it is right now.
Not true. Bears STILL have the cap NOW to outbid the winning contracts for those players. The fact is that Pace had a ceiling on how much he was will to tie up in those specific players and he stuck to it when the market went past what he was willing to pay. Which, maybe you disagree with his numbers and how he valued those players, but I don't mind him setting a limit and sticking to it in FA.
I know what you're saying but the cap space is irrelevant now that free agency is over. I do have a problem with his numbers and what he's willing to pay. A big part of that is that he clearly sees the need to have a vet QB on "starter" money on the roster. Pace has a plan for his cap space allocation and that, manifestly, includes a vet QB this year. If he didn't have that allocation then his thoughts on other free agents would be different. His ceiling on those players is a product of his general assumption about building a roster that includes Glennon at least for this year.
botfly10 wrote:
malk wrote:It's not Bouye or Wagner but both, and they're instead of Glennon rather than a first round QB. It's not like I haven't given this some thought... www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11061

But I've flogged this dead horse into a bloody pulp. Poor trigger.
Completely false. There was in no way some kind of forced choice between those players and Glennon. Thats just not real.
See above, it isn't a dollars and cents analysis but a meta one of Pace's roster building.
southdakbearfan wrote:

The rookie QB contract thing is a false. Since 97 (19 seasons) of the 38 starting QB's in the superbowl 8 QB's have been on their rookie contract and some of those go back to when rookie contracts were astronomical, unlike now.
I looked back at SB winning QBs over the past 17 seasons, i.e. since 2000. 5 of those 17 winners were on rookie contracts and only 1 (Eli Manning) was on one of the terrible old top 5 pick rookie contracts. Of the other 12 Dilfer and Johnson were journeymen, 5x was Brady when only one of those times he was paid market rate, Brees, Manning and Rogers are HoF players.

So the of those you can either get a HoF QB (hopefully Trubisky ends up that way but the odds are against it), build a great defence and plug in a journeyman (only 2 out of 17) or have a team capable of winning with a good rookie contract QB. I know which of those would be my plan.
BR0D1E86 wrote:

If you don't realize hat we still have the cap space today to give either of those players the contracts they have now, I can't help you. We didn't sign them because Pace didn't think it was a smart investment. You can disagree, but Glennon has nothing to do with it.
My original comment was a little crass, apologies. The point however, with the additions above, still stands.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
botfly10
Player of the Month

malk wrote:
botfly10 wrote:
malk wrote:
I looked back at SB winning QBs over the past 17 seasons, i.e. since 2000. 5 of those 17 winners were on rookie contracts and only 1 (Eli Manning) was on one of the terrible old top 5 pick rookie contracts. Of the other 12 Dilfer and Johnson were journeymen, 5x was Brady when only one of those times he was paid market rate, Brees, Manning and Rogers are HoF players.

So the of those you can either get a HoF QB (hopefully Trubisky ends up that way but the odds are against it), build a great defence and plug in a journeyman (only 2 out of 17) or have a team capable of winning with a good rookie contract QB. I know which of those would be my plan.
When you assume causality in your argument, it invalidates the whole thing.