First "unofficial" depth chart released.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart.html
Thoughts? Praise? Complaints?
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Seems low for Kendall Wright and Eddie Jackson. Otherwise...sure.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
UOK
Site Admin

Seems like a depth chart.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think Trubisky should be the #2 QB ... and I believe he will perform well enough for that to be the case, but the Bears will still keep him at #3 until/unless they deal Sanchez

reps are hard enough to come by if you're not the starter ... every rep Trubisky can get is an investment in the future and he would get more involvement as the 2 than the 3

my opinion and I am not changing my mind
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

One of Trubisky’s best throws Monday was a 10-yard dart to Rueben Randle for a touchdown.
(golf clap)
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think Trubisky should be the #2 QB ... and I believe he will perform well enough for that to be the case, but the Bears will still keep him at #3 until/unless they deal Sanchez

reps are hard enough to come by if you're not the starter ... every rep Trubisky can get is an investment in the future and he would get more involvement as the 2 than the 3

Agreed! From everything I've heard he has earned at least the number 2 spot.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
wab
Mod

Eh, Jordan Howard wasn't even on the depth chart last preseason.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart.html
Thoughts? Praise? Complaints?

and just like that, that link is now cleared of entries

but, you can still find what was there at this one - http://www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart-preseason.html

I'd like to have the job of the Bears site admin ... doesn't seem like he/she/it actually does much ... they are regularly behind other sites in posting news about the team ... I shouldn't be getting a story about a Bears player from CBS Sports before it shows up on the Bears site
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

Oh, thank God. I clicked on the link and thought they had cut everybody.

I agree, the official website sucks and I take everything posted on that site (even down to the weight and height of players) with a dump truck of salt. For the depth chart, they generally get the starters correct, but when it comes to the 2nd and 3rd string players, that usually doesn't mean a whole lotta shit.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think Trubisky should be the #2 QB ... and I believe he will perform well enough for that to be the case, but the Bears will still keep him at #3 until/unless they deal Sanchez

From what I saw today, leave him at #3.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
staleystarch wrote:

Dude needs reps, get him out there with the one's.
Wounded Bear
MVP

I think they're just sending a message that he's not going to start this year. I think bringing him along slowly is a very sage move.

You see some of these young QB's develop what I call QB/PTSD like David Carr. And since the Bears have little chance for success this year, I think following the Green Bay/Aaron Rodgers model (to a lesser extent anyhow) is a smart way to proceed with young QB talent.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
staleystarch wrote:

The guy needs to understand how to manage the pocket and go thru reads first. And TC/preseason is a good place for that. He has to show consistent ability to have his eyes looking at the right things and just reacting before you throw him out there. I saw a guy who clearly looks unsure of himself at times and runs around too much. It's night and day to see Glennon or Sanchez executing a play compared to Trubisky. Those guys don't have the best arms and don't always get the throw there and sometimes miss somebody open, but their eyes and feet look right almost all the time. They look calm. Biscuit doesn't. Trubisky is too often not comfortable with his pocket presence in conjunction with read progressions, which leads to jockeying around and taking off running or buying time and turning it into street ball. He's a little overwhelmed yet.

I'm all about giving him a year to get the offense down pat and running a few reps along with the scout team every week. Then see where he is in 2018. Throwing a guy who is in his state of QB play out there this year is a recipe for disaster both in terms of short term offensive production and long term career development.

Let's see how he does with the 3's this preseason.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
staleystarch wrote:

The guy needs to understand how to manage the pocket and go thru reads first. And TC/preseason is a good place for that. He has to show consistent ability to have his eyes looking at the right things and just reacting before you throw him out there. I saw a guy who clearly looks unsure of himself at times and runs around too much. It's night and day to see Glennon or Sanchez executing a play compared to Trubisky. Those guys don't have the best arms and don't always get the throw there and sometimes miss somebody open, but their eyes and feet look right almost all the time. They look calm. Biscuit doesn't. Trubisky is too often not comfortable with his pocket presence in conjunction with read progressions, which leads to jockeying around and taking off running or buying time and turning it into street ball. He's a little overwhelmed yet.

I'm all about giving him a year to get the offense down pat and running a few reps along with the scout team every week. Then see where he is in 2018. Throwing a guy who is in his state of QB play out there this year is a recipe for disaster both in terms of short term offensive production and long term career development.

While this may be true of him in training camp, looking at his college tape you'll see that Trubisky's pocket presence is what makes him stand out from all other young QB's. He was always looking to throw and was not bothered by pressure around him. Unlike a guy like Mahomes, who immediately bailed at any sign of pressure.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:
staleystarch wrote:

That don't sound good. But I do think he needs more reps.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
wab
Mod

Soooo. Trubisky...
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:Soooo. Trubisky...
:applaud: :applaud:
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

One bad snap and one penalty doesn't red flag Whitehair for me at all. EVERY lineman holds. It's all a matter of getting caught. Plus, there were plenty of Denver penalties that weren't called. He's good.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't see the need to alter the depth chart, it is just something for fans to talk about anyway. Trubisky at #3, well he played the majority of the game, more than the "#2", so not really seeing a problem at that position.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
staleystarch wrote:

While this may be true of him in training camp, looking at his college tape you'll see that Trubisky's pocket presence is what makes him stand out from all other young QB's. He was always looking to throw and was not bothered by pressure around him. Unlike a guy like Mahomes, who immediately bailed at any sign of pressure.
That's funny. I was just watching some of Mahomes' first game for KC, and I was not impressed, and saw exactly what you are talking about. I don't like his feet, and he threw off his back foot several times. He also got impatient in the pocket, and his first thought was to scramble.