Rumors of Jon Gruden coaching the Bears in 2018?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Gruden was mentioned by some as a possible replacement for Lovie, too, but I think its another lead balloon. If he wanted to return to coaching he could have done it long before now. He's got a ring, he gets to look cute and babble on TV for easy money, no reason to jump back into the grind.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

pus wrote:Gruden was mentioned by some as a possible replacement for Lovie, too, but I think its another lead balloon. If he wanted to return to coaching he could have done it long before now. He's got a ring, he gets to look cute and babble on TV for easy money, no reason to jump back into the grind.

if he had been the replacement for Lovie, perhaps the team would not have dropped so far into the sewer ... but the Bears chose a different path (a losing one as it turned out)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Otis Day wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I think Pace is safe. But if we win 3-4 games again--and maybe 5-6, Foxie is out. The McKnuckleheads are goofs, but they do know dollars and cents. If Soldier is half empty in December like it was last year when I was at the SF game, they'll pull the trigger.

Did anybody see that you can get tix on Stubhub for the Cleveland preseason game--yes, it's the 4th preseason game and the starters won't play much--for $7. Seven dollars, less than 10% of face, I think. People are practically giving tickets away. That's not good... Especially for Foxie. I'm thinking about going, so I can see a lot of Trubisky in early action.
Whether the seats are empty or not they are paid for and the McClaskeys are still pocketing that money.

I have never seen tickets so cheap. I bought tickets for the 12/3 9er suckfest for a little over $40. I have never spent less than $85 for tickets, ever!! I have been trying to go regularly since '05. I resorted to going to St Louis 3 times as tickets there are half the price.

Regarding Gruden, meh, to use the term of the day, "fake news."
I don't know how much if any of the concession income goes to the Bears but I would think that could be some significant income loss if not enough fans are there to buy.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Wounded Bear
MVP

I dont' know if I agree or not with the argument that Gruden is too radical for the Bears. I'll agree that the coaches of late have been pretty conservative of late, but when you look at when the Bears had the most success, both Ditka and Ryan were coaches of the Bears. Those dudes weren't exactly button down collar types - or are we saying that was more of Papa Bear's influence and the McCaskeys' would never go that direction?

All I know is if we wanted to return to the heyday of the Bears, a day where the Bears have serious attitude, Jon Gruden would try to deliver that type of product to the fans. Whether you like or dislike Gruden, that would put asses in the seats, which is always a sound business model.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:

Who would you want coaching up a young QB talent like Mitch Trubisky? John Fox/Dowell Loggains or Jon Gruden?

i like dowell though.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:I dont' know if I agree or not with the argument that Gruden is too radical for the Bears. I'll agree that the coaches of late have been pretty conservative of late, but when you look at when the Bears had the most success, both Ditka and Ryan were coaches of the Bears. Those dudes weren't exactly button down collar types - or are we saying that was more of Papa Bear's influence and the McCaskeys' would never go that direction?

All I know is if we wanted to return to the heyday of the Bears, a day where the Bears have serious attitude, Jon Gruden would try to deliver that type of product to the fans. Whether you like or dislike Gruden, that would put asses in the seats, which is always a sound business model.
I'd say it was more George Halas. He was not exactly button down himself.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Middleguard
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:Who would you want coaching up a young QB talent like Mitch Trubisky? John Fox/Dowell Loggains or Jon Gruden?
Will someone please remind me what Gruden's major QB accomplishments have been.
wab
Mod

Middleguard wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:Who would you want coaching up a young QB talent like Mitch Trubisky? John Fox/Dowell Loggains or Jon Gruden?
He made Rich Gannon ok for a season.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:
Won a Super Bowl. 95-81 W-L record.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Wounded Bear
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:

Who would you want coaching up a young QB talent like Mitch Trubisky? John Fox/Dowell Loggains or Jon Gruden?

i like dowell though.
I do too. I think he is much maligned, but we had a pretty decent running game and decent passing game when you consider we had tons of injuries at QB and the wideout position last year as well as a patchwork of personnel playing on the offensive line. Considering all of the injuries last year, I felt his play design and effectiveness was on par with Gase.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Wounded Bear
MVP

Middleguard wrote:
He worked as an Assistant Offensive Coordinator for Green Bay on the 1990's and was instrumental in getting Brett Favre under control.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:

i like dowell though.
I do too. I think he is much maligned, but we had a pretty decent running game and decent passing game when you consider we had tons of injuries at QB and the wideout position last year as well as a patchwork of personnel playing on the offensive line. Considering all of the injuries last year, I felt his play design and effectiveness was on par with Gase.
and he's shown, through cutler/hoyer/barkley and now glennon/trubisky, that he's 100% willing to tailor his playcalling to the strengths of whoever is under center.

i want to see him continue to grow as an OC with us.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think that Jim Harbaugh has a better chance of leaving Michigan to come coach the Bears, than Gruden does leaving the booth to come here.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:

i like dowell though.
and he's shown, through cutler/hoyer/barkley and now glennon/trubisky, that he's 100% willing to tailor his playcalling to the strengths of whoever is under center.

i want to see him continue to grow as an OC with us.
I agree. Loggains is becoming a good OC. I like how he gameplans for each QB. Hopefully he keeps it up.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

He definitely knew the right plays to call for Trubisky's debut.

I can't see any reason to mess with our HC or coordinators. I think they'll get our shit in order before long. Patience is well-rewarded, I always say.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS