Robert Smith on CTE

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Wanted to post this as I found it surprising and interesting.

I was on the way back from TC on Tuesday and one of the Chicago sports talk stations interviewed Robert Smith. So I had plenty of time to listen. For those who don't know, Robert Smith was a RB for the Vikings who made several pro bowls. After completing his NFL career, he's gotten a couple of degrees and is generally considered a very smart guy.

Long story short, Smith made the following points...

1. On the Will Smith CTE movie "Concussion", Smith said, "It's a movie. It was made as entertainment." He also talked at some length about the doctor who was profiled in the picture, saying that he wasn't the hero that the movie makes him out to be. He also said that some of the events portrayed in the movie did not accurately reflect how the things actually played out. In fact, one significant event was completely wrong in the movie. (I don't remember which one.) In summary, the movie made this doctor out to be a righteous moral hero, but in real life he wasn't and the circumstances with CTE data and symptoms being far less black and white than it was depicted.

2. Regarding the recently released results where 99% of former NFL player cadaver brains showed evidence of CTE, Smith countered by saying that there was no data on symptoms occurring in those players. If 99% had serious symptoms, that information would be available. He went on to say that normal people who don't play football have loss of memory, alzheimers and other brain conditions, so the issue needs to be studied much more to determine how much the CTE brain effects translate into actual symptoms that go above and beyond what is simply normal results of aging. In short, he suggested that the observable CTE physical changes don't necessarily result in symptoms.

Smith said that CTE is a valid cause for concern, but that the current "CTE hysteria" (his words) is not supported by sufficient scientific study, which he'd like to see more of. He provided a very interesting and thoughtful counter point to the popular current thinking on the subject.

(I know this isn't Bears related. So if you need to move it, I get it. Just wanted to share with my Bears brothers.)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Is he employed or otherwise maintaining a job because of the NFL? If so, I don't trust him one iota.

That being said, he's a very intelligent individual from what I recall reading about him after he retired.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
UOK
Site Admin

I always liked the work he did with The Cure, personally.
Wounded Bear
MVP

UOK wrote:I always liked the work he did with The Cure, personally.
Nice!
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

not sure why we should care one iota about what an ex-Viking RB might say about a medical issue he is not an expert on ... he also has no medical degree or experience which makes his opinion just that - an opinion

being an ex-player may very well give him a different perspective than we have ... but being an ex-Viking, that puts his perspective directly in the "don't care" bin as far as I'm concerned

thanks for sharing and all but if you had posted something on ex Bear Bob Avellini's drinking problems, that would have been more appropriate
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
UOK wrote:I always liked the work he did with The Cure, personally.
Nice!

[video][/video]
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin