The "I've seen enough, start Trubisky" Thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

I'm mostly with DD here (and thanks for the clarification earlier, I also could go back and forth on number minutiae!). There's absolutely no need to start him week one, utterly irrelevant to his eventual success or failure. My overall take is that there are a few things you should avoid with a rookie QB, letting them get killed behind a terrible offensive line is the main one. Forcing them to chase games would be another as they'll likely make lots of mistakes and there's little point testing their mental toughness so much that early.

I do want to see a lot of him this season though as I'm confident our line won't be rubbish and hope that Howard provides a good pressure valve for the offence. The wideouts are a worry but the TE group makes up for that a little in the passing game. Overall it doesn't scream rookie QB killer offence even if it likely won't put up tonnes of points. If that's anywhere near true then the live experience will surely do him good and speed his development going into year two.

The other thing that gives me confidence is that he appears to be able to see the field, work through progressions etc. Can anyone think of an example of a young QB that couldn't do that at one point then could after sitting? Perhaps its impossible to say, who knows how Brady or Rogers would have done in their rookie years?

My new hope beyond hope is that Glennon performs decently and then Pace wrangles a trade for him during the season to a fringe contender following an injury. If that happens I'll happily eat a big old plate of crow.

EDIT: Also love this from G08's link earlier https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=buYla
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

When a rookie QB starts, it's based off a ton of variables...

Team aspects.
1. Is there a capable veteran QB on the team? (No).
2. Is the offensive line capable of blocking long enough so the rookie QB dosnt get killed? (Yes).
3. How is the supporting cast and game planning? Can it be tailored to keep excessive pressure off the young QB? (Yes).
4. Does starting the young QB give you a much better chance to win? (Yes).

Players makeup
1. Does the QB have a good level head, who can adjust to the pressure mentally? Is he football mature? (I think so).
2. Does he have the physical skills? (Absolutely)
3. Does he have good leadership qualities? (I think so).
4. Does he give you the best chance to win? (Yes).

Quite frankly, every situation is completely differant. If you have Steve Young, you don't start him over Joe Montanna(though I think learning behind Montana absolutely made him better). Do you start Rodgers over Brett Farve? Hell no. We are talking apples and oranges here. I have forever been one to say NFL teams do a horrid job of developing QBs. Feel that teams are in too much in a rush to send these kids into the fire. However every individual is as different mentally, as is Physically. Some have one but not the other, Some have both and some have neither.

Trubisky looks the part. He just seems to have "IT". Going against my own personal opinion on QB development, I say why not? However, feel the coaches have a much better understanding on where he is at than any of us do. I tend to trust their judgement. I am neither here or there on this, but don't think either way will be a bad thing. All I know is that I'm confident we have our first Very Solid QB in franchise history in the "QB Era". He is the guy I wanted drafted, and he has shown me more than I expected.

If they do decide to start him (sooner than later), the run game is good enough to support his development. If they didn't have that going for the team, I would say absolutely sit him for majority of the season. But if you grind it out, win or loose and let him develop slowly it could benefit the team down the road. Lean on the run and let him get the feel of it. We don't need to expect the world of him this season. Your P Mannings struggled in the first season, he gained valuable experience and look how that turned out. If you wait this year, and start him next year... then it's one whole year more that you have to develop experience. If he wasn't Mentally solid, maybe wait. But I like this kids makeup.

No matter how things go, I am really happy the Bears drafted him and excited for the future. Go Bears!