8.19.17 // BEARS 24, Cardinals 23

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I think Glennon should go the first quarter at minimum. That offense looked awful last week, they need reps.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I predict you're going to see Glennon play better and Trubisky play worse in the next game.

My guess is that they're going to give Trubisky a scripted small percentage of full field reads and see how he handles the progressions. I also think he'll get time with/against the 2's. We'll see how he does, but I'm not expecting a QBR in 3 digits this time around.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I'd like to see Trubisky get the start for this one and the full 1st quarter for him to play against a higher level defense.
You want to sink Glennon's confidence completely, and ensure that there is a QB controversy in Chicago from game 1? Then yeah...do that.
I would look upon it as a spirited competition rather than a controversy. And if Glennon is so mentally fragile he can't handle some up front competition, then what good is he?

Glennon was/is nothing but a place holder. He was part of Pace's smoke and mirrors pre-draft show, nothing more. A pretty expensive sideshow, but apparently Pace thought it was money well spent for that purpose (and it worked). Glennon would still likely start the regular season as #1. The challenge to him then would be to play well enough to keep that position.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I'd like to see Trubisky get the start for this one and the full 1st quarter for him to play against a higher level defense.
You want to sink Glennon's confidence completely, and ensure that there is a QB controversy in Chicago from game 1? Then yeah...do that.
I would look upon it as a spirited competition rather than a controversy. And if Glennon is so mentally fragile he can't handle some up front competition, then what good is he?

Glennon was/is nothing but a place holder. He was part of Pace's smoke and mirrors pre-draft show, nothing more. A pretty expensive sideshow, but apparently Pace thought it was money well spent for that purpose (and it worked). Glennon would still likely start the regular season as #1. The challenge to him then would be to play well enough to keep that position.
I said it a bit tongue in cheek, and you're right. Glennon needs to hike up his big boy pants in that situation. I imagine this was him on draft day.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

At my age I can barely stay awake past 10, but I'll try to be a trooper.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:At my age I can barely stay awake past 10, but I'll try to be a trooper.
Red Bull, Vodka, you're welcome.

On second thought, don't do that.... tossing stimulants and depressants in your body simultaneously is a great way to fuck with your ticker.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
staleystarch wrote:At my age I can barely stay awake past 10, but I'll try to be a trooper.
Red Bull, Vodka, you're welcome.

On second thought, don't do that.... tossing stimulants and depressants in your body simultaneously is a great way to fuck with your ticker.
Especially a ticker with stents like mine. :D
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So, let me get this straight...

Our new veteran starting QB, who is still finding his timing in a brand new system. Played badly week 1 of the pre-season, along with the entire offense. All of them looking out of sync. Your brilliant answer to this problem, is to play aforementioned starting QB, with our backups... our 3rd string rookie QB with our starters... Giving GLENNON ZERO of the reps he desperately needs with his teammates. Then, SUDDENLY... when the games actually count. You want to throw him back out there with the 1's, versus the defending NFC champions... and say "go get em tiger!"

:frustrated:

Forget the message that it would send to the rest of the team, benching the QB you publicly committed to, after three bad series in the pre-season. I cannot even begin to fathom a more counter-productive move, from a football standpoint, than denying him the reps CLEARLY necessary for him to have ANY chance of being successful.

This type of nonsensical BS really needs to just stop... I know that's being blunt, but jesus christ dude. Come on. This is lacking in even just basic common sense.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So, let me get this straight...

Our new veteran starting QB, who is still finding his timing in a brand new system. Played badly week 1 of the pre-season, along with the entire offense. All of them looking out of sync. Your brilliant answer to this problem, is to play aforementioned starting QB, with our backups... our 3rd string rookie QB with our starters... Giving GLENNON ZERO of the reps he desperately needs with his teammates. Then, SUDDENLY... when the games actually count. You want to throw him back out there with the 1's, versus the defending NFC champions... and say "go get em tiger!"

:frustrated:

Forget the message that it would send to the rest of the team, benching the QB you publicly committed to, after three bad series in the pre-season. I cannot even begin to fathom a more counter-productive move, from a football standpoint, than denying him the reps CLEARLY necessary for him to have ANY chance of being successful.

I said nothing about benching Glennon. I said nothing about not giving Glennon time to get ready for the regular season.

What I said was getting Trubisky time with the 1's vs the opposing 1's in a preseason game to see what happens would be a good idea. Because that is required to see what he can do. Figured preseason game 2 would be a good one to do this. And since it IS the preseason, aka enhanced practice, it seems like this would be an excellent time to do a little experimenting.

And if this destroys Glennon's confidence to the point he cannot play, then he shouldn't be in the NFL on any team in any capacity. I give Glennon more credit than you do, and think he would be as interested as the rest of us to see what the rookie can do against the 1's without it decimating him to the point where he needs to curl in a fetal position and sob in a corner of the locker room.

Richie wrote:This type of nonsensical BS really needs to just stop... I know that's being blunt, but jesus christ dude. Come on. This is lacking in even just basic common sense.
what needs to stop is people going ballistic during a simple discussion concerning a practice ... and I don't think you actually read what I wrote or you wouldn't be so goddamned argumentative about it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Jordan Howard to miss the game due to an eye injury he suffered in the walk-through.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't seem serious or long term.
Never Die Easy
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Jordan Howard to miss the game due to an eye injury he suffered in the walk-through.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't seem serious

Except to poor Glennon, who's liable to get stuck with Langford as his RB Saturday
:sick:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:Jordan Howard to miss the game due to an eye injury he suffered in the walk-through.

Doesn't seem serious

Except to poor Glennon, who's liable to get stuck with Langford as his RB Saturday
Langford didn't make the trip either.
Never Die Easy
Road
Pro Bowler

bearsfaninaz wrote:Take an Uber docc lol
"Uber docc" sounds like a brand new occupation. :?
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Anyone happen to know of a stream for this game? The station here carrying the Bears game tonight decided to also broadcast the Packers game before it, and the two games kickoff 2 1/2 hours apart from each other. So I don't know if they're going to join the Bears game in progress or air it on a 30-minute tape delay.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

Doesn't seem serious

Langford didn't make the trip either.
Well, that's a break for him, but still tough to be facing 1st stringers with Carey/Cunningham/Cohen as your running attack.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

oh god i'm going to be up til 1am ET watching mitch beat up on scrubs.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

1st team OL tonite is grasu at center and whitehair at LG
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:1st team OL tonite is grasu at center and whitehair at LG
G08 is in heaven.
UOK
Site Admin

Grasu and Leno starting off terribly. Cunningham with a nice return. Could be how he makes the roster.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I can't watch it until the rebroadcast on NFL network at 2 AM, but 2/2 for 0 yards is hardly inspiring confidence. Cohen's first two carries looked like they were productive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Dam Glennon sucks
UOK
Site Admin

Glennon needs to be benched. Anything over 5 yards is abysmal.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:I can't watch it until the rebroadcast on NFL network at 2 AM, but 2/2 for 0 yards is hardly inspiring confidence. Cohen's first two carries looked like they were productive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cohen's had a couple of beautiful runs
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Maybe I'm just biased but does Glennon's arm not look very strong? Maybe used to Cutler still and Trubisky passes. No not saying Trubisky has Cutler's arm.
UOK
Site Admin

Glennon's arm has never been very strong.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I've said since the day Trubisky was drafted I want him to start as soon as possible.

At this point, I don't care if it's Trubisky or Sanchez. Glennon should not be under center for the Bears.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
botfly10
Player of the Month

Could you imagine going into this season with just Glennon and Sanchez? lol
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

cohen/howard are going to be fucking amazing this year and they'll be completely wasted if no one respects the pass.
Richie
MVP

10/14 58 yards 0 TD's 1 INT at the 2 minute warning 1st half.

Nice 5.8 yards per completion.

Jeez... Even if we're committed to not playing Trubs, is it possible Sanchez could start week 1? I mean, Christ man... These 3rd down throws are horrendous.