Who's getting cut?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

GSH
MVP

Not going to even pretend I have the knowledge or insight of some you guys on here, but interested to make this a thread of who is going to get cut, not make the roster, and see who on here was right as the chips start to fall.

Im going to say Langford gets cut and Id like to see Gentry make the Roster.
G08
Hall of Famer

My ridiculously early 53 man roster:

Aguayo (weird feeling he turns it around)
Sanchez
Glennon
Trubisky
White
Wheaton
Wright
Bellamy
O'Donnell
Amukamara
Demps
LeBlanc
Howard
Carey
Cooper
Bush
McManis
Cohen
Hall
Langford
Houston-Carson
Callahan
Amos
Jackson
Kwiatkoski
Scales
Freeman
Jones
Grasu
Timu
Trevathan
Whitehair
Massie
Sitton
Leno
Long
Compton
Cruz
Meredith
Brown
Miller
Shaheen
Sims
Bullard
Goldman
McPhee
Acho
Floyd
Jaye Howard
Hicks
Young
Unrein
Houston
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

GSH
MVP

yeah, deffo early, meant this as a thread that gets added to as we get closer.

I think most are in agreement that Kyle Fuller isnt making the roster.
G08
Hall of Famer

I originally had 60 players listed as I went through the roster and then kind of started whittling it down. I think Morgan goes to the practice squad, along with Bravermand and Gentry. Fuller just... he doesn't look good to me.

Middleguard
MVP

You think McPhee will be off PUP by the start of the season?
G08
Hall of Famer

With this coaching staff? Who really knows man... hearing Hicks talk last week though it sounds like they're expecting him to be out there. Dude's a vet, I'm not thrilled with him being on PUP but I'd much rather it be him than Floyd.

wab
Mod

Shouldn't really be any surprises on the cut pile...maybe Langford, Fuller, and Amos.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Langford will the the nod over Cunningham (Pace won't want to cut one of his first draft picks), ditto Amos over Prosinski.

Fuller.... could be dead man walking.

Nanky
Journeyman

I think it would be dumb to cut or trade Fuller with the injuries to both starters. A lack of quality depth has really hurt the Bears in the past, so why make the same mistake. Plus from everything I've heard on Fuller is that he's been playing very well, and potentially could land a starting spot.
G08
Hall of Famer

I really like the idea of Fuller inside at nickel, but I think that ship has sailed. LeBlanc, IMO, has that job locked down.

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:I originally had 60 players listed as I went through the roster and then kind of started whittling it down. I think Morgan goes to the practice squad, along with Bravermand and Gentry. Fuller just... he doesn't look good to me.
Hard to see Morgan making it to the PS. I know he hasn't done anything yet, but getting a 5th round rookie off waivers would be a coup for any GM. I'm pretty sure he makes the 53.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:
G08 wrote:I originally had 60 players listed as I went through the roster and then kind of started whittling it down. I think Morgan goes to the practice squad, along with Bravermand and Gentry. Fuller just... he doesn't look good to me.
Hard to see Morgan making it to the PS. I know he hasn't done anything yet, but getting a 5th round rookie off waivers would be a coup for any GM. I'm pretty sure he makes the 53.
You're probably right, especially with Kush going to IR.

Middleguard
MVP

I agree that Morgan sticks. Remember, they kept 6th rd Fabuluje for a year despite the fact he stunk during the preseason [admittedly, they kept 9 OL that year]. And Morgan wasn't dismal against Denver. They will keep at least 8 OL. I think it's down to Morgan vs Poehls, with Morgan having draft status edge.

I suggest removing Timu to make room for Morgan.

I think the Bears should hang on to Fuller unless they get at least a 3rd in trade which they can't. If nothing else, make him play ST and cut McManis. It would save money.

Another thing that's likely wrong with your list... what's the under/over for the number of players you mentioned that will actually be on IR when cuts are made?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think Fuller makes it. He has been running with the 1s. Morgan gets cut. Good chance a d2 player and a later selection clears waivers. I gotta believe Hall makes it as a dude who can okay anywhere.
Wounded Bear
MVP

I don't see Amos going anywhere. Prosinski is a liability in coverage and wideouts getting behind him. Amos is solid and if push comes to shove, he's a candidate to be a backup at both safety positions.

And I think the fact that Langford is a high round Pace pick is maybe the only reason why he stays on the roster. It seems to me that every other back on the current roster has better vision and therefore, more natural running backs than Langford.

I have to admit, I don't recall him playing on special teams much, but if he has, it hasn't been very memorable.
Last edited by Wounded Bear on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Callahan is a better Nickel than LeBlanc. I'd hate to be the one to make the call in the CBs and WRs.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Quarterback
Mike Glennon
Mark Sanchez
Mitchell Trubisky

Running Back
Jordan Howard
Jeremy Langford
Ka'Deem Carey
Tarik Cohen

Wide Receiver
Cameron Meredith
Kevin White
Markus Wheaton
Kendall Wright
Victor Cruz
Deonte Thompson

Tight End
Zach Miller
Dion Sims
Adam Shaheen
Ben Braunecker

Oline
Charles Leno Jr.
Bradley Sowell
Kyle Long
Cody Whitehair
Hroniss Grasu
Josh Sitton
Bobby Massie
Tom Compton

Defensive Line
Akiem Hicks
Jaye Howard
Eddie Goldman
John Jenkins
Mitch Unrein
Jonathan Bullard

Inside Linebacker
Jerrell Freeman
John Timu
Danny Trevathan
Nick Kwiatkoski

Linebacker
Willie Young
Pernell McPhee
Lamarr Houston
Leonard Floyd
Sam Acho

Cornerback
Marcus Cooper
Prince Amukamara
Kyle Fuller
Bryce Callahan
Cre'von LeBlanc

Safety
Quintin Demps
Adrian Amos
Eddie Jackson
Deon Bush
Deiondre' Hall

Special Teams
Pat O'Donnell
Connor Barth
Patrick Scales
Wounded Bear
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:Callahan is a better Nickel than LeBlanc. I'd hate to be the one to make the call in the CBs and WRs.
Yeah, I really don't understand all of the love for LeBlanc. Yes, he's a scrappy dude, but he seems just too slow for any DB position.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richie
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:I don't see Amos going anywhere. Prosinski is a liability in coverage and wideouts getting behind him. Amos is solid and if push comes to shove, he's a candidate to be a backup at both safety positions.

And I think the fact that Langford is a high round Pace pick is maybe the only reason why he stays on the roster. It seems to me that every other back on the current roster has better vision and are, therefore, more natural running backs than Langford.

I have to admit, I don't recall him playing on special teams much, but if he has, it hasn't been very memorable.
He doesn't have a recorded tackle in his career. So, he either doesn't play SPT's, or does nothing when he's out there.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

Wounded Bear wrote:I don't see Amos going anywhere. Prosinski is a liability in coverage and wideouts getting behind him. Amos is solid and if push comes to shove, he's a candidate to be a backup at both safety positions.

And I think the fact that Langford is a high round Pace pick is maybe the only reason why he stays on the roster. It seems to me that every other back on the current roster has better vision and therefore, more natural running backs than Langford.

Langford was picked in the 4th round so i wouldn't call that a high round pick and no way should he make the team over B.Cunningham or T.Cohen, I see him and K.Carey fighting for that 4th RB spot and if it were me i'd give it to Carey because of his special teams play and is a decent backup RB.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

mmmc_35 wrote:Quarterback
Mike Glennon
Mark Sanchez
Mitchell Trubisky

Running Back
Jordan Howard
Jeremy Langford
Ka'Deem Carey
Tarik Cohen

Wide Receiver
Cameron Meredith
Kevin White
Markus Wheaton
Kendall Wright
Victor Cruz
Deonte Thompson

Tight End
Zach Miller
Dion Sims
Adam Shaheen
Ben Braunecker

Oline
Charles Leno Jr.
Bradley Sowell
Kyle Long
Cody Whitehair
Hroniss Grasu
Josh Sitton
Bobby Massie
Tom Compton

Defensive Line
Akiem Hicks
Jaye Howard
Eddie Goldman
John Jenkins
Mitch Unrein
Jonathan Bullard

Inside Linebacker
Jerrell Freeman
John Timu
Danny Trevathan
Nick Kwiatkoski

Linebacker
Willie Young
Pernell McPhee
Lamarr Houston
Leonard Floyd
Sam Acho

Cornerback
Marcus Cooper
Prince Amukamara
Kyle Fuller
Bryce Callahan
Cre'von LeBlanc

Safety
Quintin Demps
Adrian Amos
Eddie Jackson
Deon Bush
Deiondre' Hall

Special Teams
Pat O'Donnell
Connor Barth
Patrick Scales

Not bad but i'd make a couple of changes.

I'd replace Langford with Cunningham cause Cunningham does everything better then Langford and is good on ST.

I'd keep J.Morgan over either Sowell or Compton.

I'd keep both C.Jones and D.Skuta over S.Acho and J.Timu.

I like the DB's you have making it but i really hate to let J.Banks go cause i really think this kid can play but just hasn't gotten enough of a chance to show what he can do.
Wounded Bear
MVP

DaBears70 wrote:

Langford was picked in the 4th round so i wouldn't call that a high round pick and no way should he make the team over B.Cunningham or T.Cohen, I see him and K.Carey fighting for that 4th RB spot and if it were me i'd give it to Carey because of his special teams play and is a decent backup RB.
Oops. Thanks for the correction. I don't know why, but I was thinking he was a 2nd round pick for some reason.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DaBears70 wrote: Not bad but i'd make a couple of changes.

I'd replace Langford with Cunningham cause Cunningham does everything better then Langford and is good on ST.

I like the DB's you have making it but i really hate to let J.Banks go cause i really think this kid can play but just hasn't gotten enough of a chance to show what he can do.
I agree with Cunningham over Langford. Pace appears to be a guy who holds on to those draft picks. Plus I still have hope for Langford.

The Bears brought in two veteran tackles. The only way you keep 8 OL is if you keep both of them. Morgan in my opinion is a player with little likelihood to succeed. He is definitely not someone I want paying this year or backing up multiple spots.

Skuta over Acho was/is a real possibility. I kept Acho because his special teams contributions.

Timu has consistently been played before Jones. Though I prefer Jones especially sense he can rush.

The CB and S are a toss up. I liked Banks in college. I figure Hall makes it as a jack of all trades, and possibly a big nickel guy.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

mmmc_35 wrote:
DaBears70 wrote: Not bad but i'd make a couple of changes.

I agree with Cunningham over Langford. Pace appears to be a guy who holds on to those draft picks. Plus I still have hope for Langford.

The Bears brought in two veteran tackles. The only way you keep 8 OL is if you keep both of them. Morgan in my opinion is a player with little likelihood to succeed. He is definitely not someone I want paying this year or backing up multiple spots.

Skuta over Acho was/is a real possibility. I kept Acho because his special teams contributions.

Timu has consistently been played before Jones. Though I prefer Jones especially sense he can rush.

The CB and S are a toss up. I liked Banks in college. I figure Hall makes it as a jack of all trades, and possibly a big nickel guy.

Yeah i can see Acho beating out Skuta cause of his ST skills but with the injury history of McPhee, L.Houston and even L.Floyd with the two concussions so close together last year that i wouldn't mind seeing both Acho and Skuta making the team. I was really hoping for Pace to go OLB in the draft or free agency cause of the injuries but he obviously didn't so i'm really nervous about OLB.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The OLB spots are interesting. If Floyd, McPhee, and Young are locks. Houston, Acho, Skuta are fighting for 2 spots. Acho and Skuta give the most versatility. Acho plays special teams and can play ILB. Skuta can play both OLB spots and end in a pinch. Houston can play the one OLB and end. Houston also has injuries lately.

So you can make a case Houston is less valuable. Except McPhee is always hurt and he can fill in there better then Acho and Skuta.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Could Glennon be a surprise cut? He's played very eh. Not accurate arm looks weak bad interceptions bad decisions etc etc
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:Could Glennon be a surprise cut? He's played very eh. Not accurate arm looks weak bad interceptions bad decisions etc etc
The way his contract is setup, he'll be on the roster this year no matter what.

Now one can only hope he's on the roster and that's it.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I know he played some in college, but I don't get moving Hall to safety, He played alright at corner last year. If they needed room on the corner depth chart, they should've moved Sherrick. Not like he plays on defense anyway.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

mmmc_35 wrote:The OLB spots are interesting. If Floyd, McPhee, and Young are locks. Houston, Acho, Skuta are fighting for 2 spots. Acho and Skuta give the most versatility. Acho plays special teams and can play ILB. Skuta can play both OLB spots and end in a pinch. Houston can play the one OLB and end. Houston also has injuries lately.

So you can make a case Houston is less valuable. Except McPhee is always hurt and he can fill in there better then Acho and Skuta.

I think Skuta can switch from OLB to ILB better than Acho can but Acho definitely looked better than Skuta did against Arizona and is better on ST. L.Houston is coming back from another serious knee surgery which makes it two years in a row now and he's better against the run then he is as a pass rusher so as of the first tow preseason games i see Houston and Acho getting those two spots. I'm very worried about our pass rush coming from the OLB spot cause teams are just gonna double team Floyd if McPhee isn't playing. We should make up for it at least somewhat from our d-line where we should be very very good with Bullard showing why we drafted him and adding Jaye Howard to Hicks and Goldman.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

bearsfaninaz wrote:Could Glennon be a surprise cut? He's played very eh. Not accurate arm looks weak bad interceptions bad decisions etc etc

No way would they cut Glennon. Even if he didn't win the starting job we'd keep him as our backup cause we have to pay him the $20 mil we guaranteed in his contract so why would we cut him and pay him $20 mil to go away.