What's your view of the state of the Bears right now?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

kevperro
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:I have to say that in general, my short term view has improved dramatically this offseason. But I think the way to look at it is by judging the key individuals who drive the organization. I'll even give them all an A-F grade with an explanation.

George and the rest of the McCaskeys.... D
I have never had much respect for the McKnuckleheads. I believe they are nice people who mean well. But that doesn't count for much when their ability to run a winning organization sucks, IMO. They are smart to stay out of the way of the football people, which results in them having an improved grade since the Michael years.

Ted Phillips... C-
Ted knows his stuff when it comes to dollars and cents. And that has some real value when you're running a business, especially one that has the disadvantage of usually losing. But I don't have much confidence in his hiring football people and by extension running a successful NFL team. He hired Angelo, Emery and Pace. You need to hit better than .333 on those hires. Our record since he took over in 1999 is sub-par and that ultimately falls on him.

Ryan Pace... B+
I thought about giving him an A-, but he has made enough mistakes to keep him lower. I think most of us really underestimated the volume of problems that existed when Lovie left which festered under Phil Emery. Still, playing NFL GM is not an exact science and mistakes happen. But in general, for every Ray McDonald, there's an Akiem Hicks and a Jerrell Freeman. The same kind of positive ratio exists with draft picks. Further, Pace has a plan, he sticks to it and I can't help but feel he's moving us in the right direction. Nowhere is that more evident than his approach to the QB position. He didn't just take a swing, he boldly did what nobody expected and took all kinds of heat for it. But right now, that strategy is looking pretty promising. I'm also impressed with the patient approach being taken with Trubisky. Often you hear about GM's pressing coaches to play his draft picks. I don't see that with Pace and certainly not with biscuit. Is Pace perfect? Heck no. But I think we're darned lucky to have him.

John Fox... C+
I'm kind of ambivalent on Fox. I love his committment to a good locker room culture, which is underrated, I believe. I also think his connections in the coaching marketplace that get good coaches to work for him is a big plus. At the same time, we've had a buttload of injuries since he arrived and that seems to follow him around. And he drives me nuts when he gets a lead and plays not to lose instead of playing to win. We could do worse than Foxie. But we could also do better.

Vic Fangio... A
I love Fangio. History says that his defensive concepts are top shelf. And we have seen that here. Plus, we've seen him give Aaron Rodgers problems, a real plus in our division.

Dowell Loggains... B
I'm warming up to Loggains. He seemed like he got the best out of our bad QB situation last year, despite having not much to work with. And he showed that he could use Trubisky in a way that he was comfortable with, despite his lack of understanding and experience limitations. He also gets credit for his conservative approach to Trubisky. And when he gameplanned with Glennon, he made him look a lot better too. We seem to be fine with Loggains.

Quarterbacks are also key figures...

Mike Glennon... C+
Why such a high grade? We've seen about a D player in the preseason, but I think he'll be a C by the end of the year. Whole new coaching staff, offense and supporting cast is tough on a QB. Also, his contract bumps up his grade. Having him basically on a 1-year deal is perfect.

Mitchell Trubisky... B+
This guy has all the physical tools. He's got exactly the right attitude and approach. He's played well in preseason action. He does have a lot to learn, but he seems like a dedicated student. He has exceeded expectations thus far. Whether he is an excellent leader of men and is an NFL winner is yet to be determined. But right now, things are looking very, very good.

All in all, the grades of the QB position, Loggains and to a lesser extent Pace have all improved for me. That the ones at the top of the food chain aren't good isn't a happy thing long term. But short term, this team feels much more positive to me than it did at the end of 2016. I really have faith that as Trubisky develops--and all signs point to him doing so--the team will improve going forward. Especially if we keep Fangio directing the defense.

Overall excellent..... I agree almost 100%.

Health is key as last year was a train wreck. But other than the Patriots you cannot put time in a bottle. Every year dynamics change, injuries, age, lots of moving pieces in both coaches and players. It is a marvel that the Patriots have strung together so many successful seasons.

I have no issues with Pace and Fox always was a known short term coach. His window was 3-4 years under even the best of circumstances. I think Vic is a perfect Chicago personality for the HC job.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:lolllllll jesus guys. alshon was already hurt for a chunk of training camp/preseason and you same guys would be calling for pace's head for wasting the money franchise tagging him.

beyond that, he absolutely did not want to stick around chicago. he didnt want to be here!
I think we'd be a playoff team with just Cutler over Glennon but either way, I wouldn't have been calling for Pace's head for signing Jeffery, at the very least it'd stop him spending the same money on a few average players.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

My view of the Bears is pretty much Rusty's sig. The Bears' car is headed down the highway, completely on fire and out of control. Especially after the preseason injuries.
wab
Mod

My view after yesterday is that they are still a 4-6 win team that will frustrate us and break our hearts with "almost wins" and "moral victories" all season long. They'll wear out their near playoff caliber defense and waste the talent of what few stars they do have while Glennon gets sacked into oblivion.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:My view after yesterday is that they are still a 4-6 win team that will frustrate us and break our hearts with "almost wins" and "moral victories" all season long. They'll wear out their near playoff caliber defense and waste the talent of what few stars they do have while Glennon gets sacked into oblivion.

unfortunate but seemingly on the money
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

"...sacked into oblivion."
:D :ashamed:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Playing for next year has never come so early, it started when we signed stopgap Glennon then began to pick up speed when Langford got injured during a walkthrough and continued when Meredith was ruled out for the year with an ACL injury, Wheaton broke his finger, Howard had a corneal abrasion, Long when he threw a fit In practice, and ended with White fracturing his shoulder blade or collarbone or whatever.

4-12 easy.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Ram do you think the Bears would be a playoff team with Trubs at the helm? I think this year was always about the next two years actually. This was/is not a playoff team no matter who is at QB. The Bears are in rebuild mode.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Ram do you think the Bears would be a playoff team with Trubs at the helm? I think this year was always about the next two years actually. This was/is not a playoff team no matter who is at QB. The Bears are in rebuild mode.

not Ram, but am answering anyway - because

my opinion of the Bears changed dramatically after yesterday .... the defense is much better than I had even hoped for, the O-Line is not great but does not suck, the RB's are top tier ... only question on the WR's remains unanswered because Glennon never really threw to them

so maybe the Bears won't be a playoff team even with Trubisky ... but I'll bet my paycheck they'd be closer to one than any team Glennon is running
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think this is a 4-6 win team with Glennon and a 6-8 win team with Biscuit...leaning more towards the 8 win mark.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:I think this is a 4-6 win team with Glennon and a 6-8 win team with Biscuit...leaning more towards the 8 win mark.
So where do we need to get better in order to go from rubbish team to playoffs?

QB obviously and hopefully that's Trubisky.
RBs are playoff calibre.
O-line is just about playoff calibre, definitely with Long.
TEs are ok, maybe bottom tier playoff.
Wideouts are not (though one number 1 would make a world of difference).

The front 7 looks very good with a chance of being great (Floyd and Goldman kicking on) and that's not including McPhee.
DBs are a weak spot but still unproven either way.

I just don't see why it's so obvious that we're going to be rubbish and only squeak out wins against poor teams. There are a lot of average QBs so even Glennon isn't a death sentence. If we weren't in such a brutal division I think we'd have a shot right now.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
wab wrote:I think this is a 4-6 win team with Glennon and a 6-8 win team with Biscuit...leaning more towards the 8 win mark.
So where do we need to get better in order to go from rubbish team to playoffs?

QB obviously and hopefully that's Trubisky.
RBs are playoff calibre.
O-line is just about playoff calibre, definitely with Long.
TEs are ok, maybe bottom tier playoff.
Wideouts are not (though one number 1 would make a world of difference).

The front 7 looks very good with a chance of being great (Floyd and Goldman kicking on) and that's not including McPhee.
DBs are a weak spot but still unproven either way.

I just don't see why it's so obvious that we're going to be rubbish and only squeak out wins against poor teams. There are a lot of average QBs so even Glennon isn't a death sentence. If we weren't in such a brutal division I think we'd have a shot right now.
I think you have to take into account health for this franchise as well. There are always injuries and to key players. Hell, anymore I count on them.

I don't think the OL is near playoff caliber, Long or not. The Bear tackles are below avg in my book.

While I think the front 7 is very good, we lost Freeman today for awhile and I would bet another one of the front 7 will go down soon.

I just do not see the top end talent that can perform/stay on the field consistently.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Only 13 winning seasons in the last 32 years. Enough said.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Our defense needs to play a lot better for me to consider promoting Fangio. Not sure why that guy keeps getting a free pass? I know he has a sterling reputation, but I haven't seen us play disciplined defense since he got here. Dumb penalties still abound, poor execution on 3rd downs, no turnovers, etc.

I loved me some Vic Fangio, but have soured on him now. I'm ready for a complete coaching overhaul.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Only 13 winning seasons in the last 32 years. Enough said.
That's actually only about 1 below average.

You've got to be able to find something better than that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No, I don't have to do better. I am tired of the losing, they have had losing seasons the majority of my lifetime and most have been embarrassing seasons. I have been a fan for approximately 48 yrs and I am not satisfied with this organization. I guess I hold my team to a higher standard than some. I will not compare them to the Lions or the Browns (who they seem to becoming) If you are satisfied with your team being avg that is your deal. Green Bay has 22 winning seasons in that same time span, so hardly avg. Minny has 17.

Again if you don't expect, that is on you.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

back to the original question :
What's your view of the state of the Bears right now?
I will revise my previously more optimistic response and simply say the view of the Bears is akin to the view of a heavily used and unflushed toilet
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:No, I don't have to do better. I am tired of the losing, they have had losing seasons the majority of my lifetime and most have been embarrassing seasons. I have been a fan for approximately 48 yrs and I am not satisfied with this organization. I guess I hold my team to a higher standard than some. I will not compare them to the Lions or the Browns (who they seem to becoming) If you are satisfied with your team being avg that is your deal. Green Bay has 22 winning seasons in that same time span, so hardly avg. Minny has 17.

Again if you don't expect, that is on you.
I mean, I guess I have to ask what you expected this season? Non of this is really a surprise is it? Is it just that the Bears being bad is now visible instead of an assumption that they'd be bad. 5 wins was generous for this team.

Why now is everyone up in arms about the team when we've all been saying this since March? I mean I get it, I'm frustrated too...because Mike Glennon is EXACTLY what I said he'd be, and he (among other things) is holding this team back from developing.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was expected, I predicted 5 wins, but having to watch this shit over and over again just pisses me off. I am pissed that I get so pissed at the Bears. I think I am up in arms because, maybe, it didn't have to be this bad. IMO, no reason to sign Glennon when you had avg to below avg QBs on the roster already. Bring in a new shiny toy (Trubs) and it is left in the toy box. There is really no reason to watch at the moment.

As far as developing, this team is years away and that is frustrating as well. It seems as if the Bears are always years away, constantly rebuilding due to poor hires, poor drafts. It would be nice to get back to being a consistent winner.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:It was expected, I predicted 5 wins, but having to watch this shit over and over again just pisses me off. I am pissed that I get so pissed at the Bears. I think I am up in arms because, maybe, it didn't have to be this bad. IMO, no reason to sign Glennon when you had avg to below avg QBs on the roster already. Bring in a new shiny toy (Trubs) and it is left in the toy box. There is really no reason to watch at the moment.
I was more optimistic in my predicted wins, but that is predicated on Trubisky starting at least the last 7 games

Otis Day wrote:As far as developing, this team is years away and that is frustrating as well. It seems as if the Bears are always years away, constantly rebuilding due to poor hires, poor drafts. It would be nice to get back to being a consistent winner.
so you want the Bears to return to the 20's and 30's eh? not a bad idea ... not sure the leather helmets would carry over to today though
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:It was expected, I predicted 5 wins, but having to watch this shit over and over again just pisses me off. I am pissed that I get so pissed at the Bears. I think I am up in arms because, maybe, it didn't have to be this bad. IMO, no reason to sign Glennon when you had avg to below avg QBs on the roster already. Bring in a new shiny toy (Trubs) and it is left in the toy box. There is really no reason to watch at the moment.

As far as developing, this team is years away and that is frustrating as well. It seems as if the Bears are always years away, constantly rebuilding due to poor hires, poor drafts.
I agree that it's worse when the things you are frustrated about actually come to fruition before your eyes on live television. I think we all "know" what's going to happen, but we begin to hope against hope as soon as the ball is kicked off every Sunday.
Otis Day wrote:It would be nice to get back to being a consistent winner.
I mean, aside from the 80's and a few of the Lovie years, the Bears haven't really been consistent winners.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I’m a Bears fan.

The optimist in me always has hope the Bears will do well.

The pessimist in me wants to kill the optimist.

The optimist suspects the pessimist won’t succeed.

The pessimist fears the optimist is right.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

hell, I'll always be a Bear fan, until my dementia kiskx back in
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
docc
Head Coach