What's your view of the state of the Bears right now?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I have to say that in general, my short term view has improved dramatically this offseason. But I think the way to look at it is by judging the key individuals who drive the organization. I'll even give them all an A-F grade with an explanation.

George and the rest of the McCaskeys.... D
I have never had much respect for the McKnuckleheads. I believe they are nice people who mean well. But that doesn't count for much when their ability to run a winning organization sucks, IMO. They are smart to stay out of the way of the football people, which results in them having an improved grade since the Michael years.

Ted Phillips... C-
Ted knows his stuff when it comes to dollars and cents. And that has some real value when you're running a business, especially one that has the disadvantage of usually losing. But I don't have much confidence in his hiring football people and by extension running a successful NFL team. He hired Angelo, Emery and Pace. You need to hit better than .333 on those hires. Our record since he took over in 1999 is sub-par and that ultimately falls on him.

Ryan Pace... B+
I thought about giving him an A-, but he has made enough mistakes to keep him lower. I think most of us really underestimated the volume of problems that existed when Lovie left which festered under Phil Emery. Still, playing NFL GM is not an exact science and mistakes happen. But in general, for every Ray McDonald, there's an Akiem Hicks and a Jerrell Freeman. The same kind of positive ratio exists with draft picks. Further, Pace has a plan, he sticks to it and I can't help but feel he's moving us in the right direction. Nowhere is that more evident than his approach to the QB position. He didn't just take a swing, he boldly did what nobody expected and took all kinds of heat for it. But right now, that strategy is looking pretty promising. I'm also impressed with the patient approach being taken with Trubisky. Often you hear about GM's pressing coaches to play his draft picks. I don't see that with Pace and certainly not with biscuit. Is Pace perfect? Heck no. But I think we're darned lucky to have him.

John Fox... C+
I'm kind of ambivalent on Fox. I love his committment to a good locker room culture, which is underrated, I believe. I also think his connections in the coaching marketplace that get good coaches to work for him is a big plus. At the same time, we've had a buttload of injuries since he arrived and that seems to follow him around. And he drives me nuts when he gets a lead and plays not to lose instead of playing to win. We could do worse than Foxie. But we could also do better.

Vic Fangio... A
I love Fangio. History says that his defensive concepts are top shelf. And we have seen that here. Plus, we've seen him give Aaron Rodgers problems, a real plus in our division.

Dowell Loggains... B
I'm warming up to Loggains. He seemed like he got the best out of our bad QB situation last year, despite having not much to work with. And he showed that he could use Trubisky in a way that he was comfortable with, despite his lack of understanding and experience limitations. He also gets credit for his conservative approach to Trubisky. And when he gameplanned with Glennon, he made him look a lot better too. We seem to be fine with Loggains.

Quarterbacks are also key figures...

Mike Glennon... C+
Why such a high grade? We've seen about a D player in the preseason, but I think he'll be a C by the end of the year. Whole new coaching staff, offense and supporting cast is tough on a QB. Also, his contract bumps up his grade. Having him basically on a 1-year deal is perfect.

Mitchell Trubisky... B+
This guy has all the physical tools. He's got exactly the right attitude and approach. He's played well in preseason action. He does have a lot to learn, but he seems like a dedicated student. He has exceeded expectations thus far. Whether he is an excellent leader of men and is an NFL winner is yet to be determined. But right now, things are looking very, very good.

All in all, the grades of the QB position, Loggains and to a lesser extent Pace have all improved for me. That the ones at the top of the food chain aren't good isn't a happy thing long term. But short term, this team feels much more positive to me than it did at the end of 2016. I really have faith that as Trubisky develops--and all signs point to him doing so--the team will improve going forward. Especially if we keep Fangio directing the defense.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Mine is not as positive as yours. I think one good preseason quarter from Trubs has clouded a lot of people's judgement. Granted I am also optimistic about the kid but I don't think this team is better. At least on paper. The offense looks less talented, the defense more. They clearly have a S&C problem with all the hamstring injuries. Hell all the connective tissue injures.

Pace missed out at a very talented draft. Missed on several free agents. Fox is fox. I feel bad for DLog. Fangio might start 22 different players this year.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Mine is not as positive as yours. I think one good preseason quarter from Trubs has clouded a lot of people's judgement. Granted I am also optimistic about the kid but I don't think this team is better. At least on paper. The offense looks less talented, the defense more. They clearly have a S&C problem with all the hamstring injuries. Hell all the connective tissue injures.

Pace missed out at a very talented draft. Missed on several free agents. Fox is fox. I feel bad for DLog. Fangio might start 22 different players this year.
Perhaps I misstated myself. I don't think the team is going to be good this year. I predicted 6-10 before TC and stick by that. But I believe we will be trending in a very positive direction as Trubisky develops over the next 3 years.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Probably set for 17-20ppg. 3-5 wins, depending on defensive performance. Setting us up to grab impact players at the top of the first two rounds next year. I'm fine with it.
SC Bear
Journeyman

My sense is the number of players who are on our roster have more skills than those on our roster last year. We have seen growth from some players. We are trending upwards and will improve again next year. I don't know whether that translates to wins but feel good about the process.
Hematite
Player of the Month

alexwilkins wrote:Probably set for 17-20ppg. 3-5 wins, depending on defensive performance. Setting us up to grab impact players at the top of the first two rounds next year. I'm fine with it.
Especially when the first pick is a stud LT that protects MT's backside for many wonderful years to come!!
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Hematite wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:Probably set for 17-20ppg. 3-5 wins, depending on defensive performance. Setting us up to grab impact players at the top of the first two rounds next year. I'm fine with it.
Especially when the first pick is a stud LT that protects MT's backside for many wonderful years to come!!
That won't happen. They just gave extension to our current LT
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Take it for what it's worth....

Chris Mortenson was on ESPN 1000 yesterday. They asked him point blank, "Do you think John Fox will be the coach of the Chicago Bears next year?" Mort quickly and confidently said NO. Mort said that it may not even be because they fire him but because he (Fox) is ready to walk away from the game. Mort acted as if it were a foregone conclusion that this is Fox's last rodeo and that the Bears will have a new HC roaming the sideline in 2018.

Mort is well-connected and for him to speak so confidently in what he said, I think it's quite telling.
-Shu
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

my view is this is year 1 of the new 3 year plan ... that clock started when they drafted Trubisky ... year 1 of this plan is going to be ugly ... year 2 is going to show the fruit of the labor ... year 3 will be the full realization of what will be

and if what it will be is not a solid playoff team, then this will be yet another failure of yet another regime
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

mshu7 wrote:Take it for what it's worth....

Chris Mortenson was on ESPN 1000 yesterday. They asked him point blank, "Do you think John Fox will be the coach of the Chicago Bears next year?" Mort quickly and confidently said NO. Mort said that it may not even be because they fire him but because he (Fox) is ready to walk away from the game. Mort acted as if it were a foregone conclusion that this is Fox's last rodeo and that the Bears will have a new HC roaming the sideline in 2018.

Mort is well-connected and for him to speak so confidently in what he said, I think it's quite telling.
I'm fine with that as long as they promote Fangio or Loggains for system continuity as I do think that is how the most successful teams stay that way.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Cloudy with potential.

Defense on the rise, some young talent, decent o-line, good TE's, QB questions and unproven, bad or inexperienced or unknown at WR.

How QB develops will determine the future (5 years) fate and longer of this team.
Richie
MVP

Love Fangio. I think the D is getting ready to finally take off under him, if we can stay healthy.

Let's pray we can hold onto this one, unlike Gase.

Man, Pace/Fox really set us up with two great coordinators upon his arrival here. Really wish we still had em both together, but clearly Gase went onto bigger and better things. Good for him.

I like the more pragmatic approach Pace takes to building a team. Build from the ground up, through the draft, from the inside out... Let's get strong up front on both sides, get a good back and THEN let's go get our QB. Let's worry about the skill players as being the final pieces, instead of going out and overpaying for high priced FA's.

I also love Pace in free agency, and think any criticisms he's received are beyond short-sighted. Do you remember the mess that Phil Emery set us up for? When he went out and bought every big name on the street? WE'RE JUST NOW finally getting those final contracts off of the books man.

Pace is a breath of fresh air.

Free agency is not about what most fans think it is. It's not "let's go get the best player available!"... No. You don't build your team that way. You build through the draft, and you touch it up with some good VALUE signings in free agency. Guys who are overlooked, that you can get on the upswing of their career. Guys who haven't peaked quite yet, and will be worth much more in a couple of years. .

Then, when the time is right, and you're really ready to contend. THAT'S when you pull the trigger and strike big with a free agent talent. A guy you REALLY want and need.
PC Load Letter
Practice Squad

mshu7 wrote:Take it for what it's worth....

I always got the impression that this was going to be Fox's last gig. Why I was so shocked (pissed) we didn't make any attempt (that was made public, anyway) to retain Gase in some type of expanded assistant HC role with Fox retiring after this year, handing the keys over to Gase etc.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Love Fangio. I think the D is getting ready to finally take off under him, if we can stay healthy.

Let's pray we can hold onto this one, unlike Gase.

Man, Pace/Fox really set us up with two great coordinators upon his arrival here. Really wish we still had em both together, but clearly Gase went onto bigger and better things. Good for him.

I like the more pragmatic approach Pace takes to building a team. Build from the ground up, through the draft, from the inside out... Let's get strong up front on both sides, get a good back and THEN let's go get our QB. Let's worry about the skill players as being the final pieces, instead of going out and overpaying for high priced FA's.

I also love Pace in free agency, and think any criticisms he's received are beyond short-sighted. Do you remember the mess that Phil Emery set us up for? When he went out and bought every big name on the street? WE'RE JUST NOW finally getting those final contracts off of the books man.

Pace is a breath of fresh air.

Free agency is not about what most fans think it is. It's not "let's go get the best player available!"... No. You don't build your team that way. You build through the draft, and you touch it up with some good VALUE signings in free agency. Guys who are overlooked, that you can get on the upswing of their career. Guys who haven't peaked quite yet, and will be worth much more in a couple of years. .

Then, when the time is right, and you're really ready to contend. THAT'S when you pull the trigger and strike big with a free agent talent. A guy you REALLY want and need.
I think YOU are a breath of fresh air, Richie. And I like your avatar as well. Stick around please. :)

I largely agree with you, although indications are that Pace was in the market for a high $$$ CB in this year's FA market and offered more than was ultimately accepted.

I would further promote the idea of getting guys in the order of their learning curve. QBs generally take until their 3rd year to get up to speed. WRs and TEs are a step behind that, followed by linemen. Ss, LBs and RBs are more plug and play. So in an optimally focused world, you need to get the long learning curve guys developed first and then you can filling the plug and play guys last.

It sounds like you (and many of us) like the Green Bay method of team development. I concur.

BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Pretty much agree with Mikefive. I have issues with McCaskey's as I do think they want to win, but they just interfere when they shouldn't or don't when they should to put it rather simply. Fox is an average coach who is respected, but not a guy to develop a rebuilding team. I think his only expectation was to bring structure and professionalism that we had lost back to the locker room. He's on the way out and I'm fine with that.

Pace is still tough to grade as I like a lot of what he's done, but at the same time I feel this is the first time we've finally committed to rebuilding so it's tough to grade. I think he's added more talented depth, but we still lack impact players at a number of positions. The development this season and what we do next offseason are going to be the moves that define his tenure in my opinion.

So this year not optimistic record wise but think long term we could be alright.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Richie
MVP

BearsFanInMN wrote:Fox is an average coach who is respected, but not a guy to develop a rebuilding team..
I mean, to be fair. Fox has two really nice turnarounds with Carolina and Denver. Taking Carolina to the Super Bowl in 2003 was a legitimate minor-miracle. That franchise was dead... 1-15 the year prior. So, I can't call this statement accurate.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Richie wrote:
BearsFanInMN wrote:Fox is an average coach who is respected, but not a guy to develop a rebuilding team..
I mean, to be fair. Fox has two really nice turnarounds with Carolina and Denver. Taking Carolina to the Super Bowl in 2003 was a legitimate minor-miracle. That franchise was dead... 1-15 the year prior. So, I can't call this statement accurate.
I had forgotten how bad Carolina was and doing it with Delhomme is impressive. So I might have been a bit harsh. I guess it's more at this point he's probably not as interested in rebuilding or just doesn't strike me as such.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
malk
Head Coach

This just reminds me why I'm so pissed at Pace. He's so close to being a good GM but has made a few, obviously imo, key mistakes. With Cutler and Jeffery this is a playoff team (even if Jeffery costs us Sims, Wheaton and Amukamara/Cooper). Instead we have Glennon plus a bunch of average rental players and mid tier guys on market value contracts (i.e. cap inefficient ones). I just don't think he gets free agency.

We're still on track to be good again, if Trubisky is solid, but finding decent wideouts is not going to be easy and that's galling when we had and lost a good one.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lolllllll jesus guys. alshon was already hurt for a chunk of training camp/preseason and you same guys would be calling for pace's head for wasting the money franchise tagging him.

beyond that, he absolutely did not want to stick around chicago. he didnt want to be here!
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:lolllllll jesus guys. alshon was already hurt for a chunk of training camp/preseason and you same guys would be calling for pace's head for wasting the money franchise tagging him.

beyond that, he absolutely did not want to stick around chicago. he didnt want to be here!
Pretty much this. He took less money than we offered him if memory serves. Plus he was hurt most training camp. Though Alshon had a monster 3 catch game yesterday. 1 more than White. Though he had 32 more yards.
kevperro
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:I have to say that in general, my short term view has improved dramatically this offseason. But I think the way to look at it is by judging the key individuals who drive the organization. I'll even give them all an A-F grade with an explanation.

George and the rest of the McCaskeys.... D
I have never had much respect for the McKnuckleheads. I believe they are nice people who mean well. But that doesn't count for much when their ability to run a winning organization sucks, IMO. They are smart to stay out of the way of the football people, which results in them having an improved grade since the Michael years.

Ted Phillips... C-
Ted knows his stuff when it comes to dollars and cents. And that has some real value when you're running a business, especially one that has the disadvantage of usually losing. But I don't have much confidence in his hiring football people and by extension running a successful NFL team. He hired Angelo, Emery and Pace. You need to hit better than .333 on those hires. Our record since he took over in 1999 is sub-par and that ultimately falls on him.

Ryan Pace... B+
I thought about giving him an A-, but he has made enough mistakes to keep him lower. I think most of us really underestimated the volume of problems that existed when Lovie left which festered under Phil Emery. Still, playing NFL GM is not an exact science and mistakes happen. But in general, for every Ray McDonald, there's an Akiem Hicks and a Jerrell Freeman. The same kind of positive ratio exists with draft picks. Further, Pace has a plan, he sticks to it and I can't help but feel he's moving us in the right direction. Nowhere is that more evident than his approach to the QB position. He didn't just take a swing, he boldly did what nobody expected and took all kinds of heat for it. But right now, that strategy is looking pretty promising. I'm also impressed with the patient approach being taken with Trubisky. Often you hear about GM's pressing coaches to play his draft picks. I don't see that with Pace and certainly not with biscuit. Is Pace perfect? Heck no. But I think we're darned lucky to have him.

John Fox... C+
I'm kind of ambivalent on Fox. I love his committment to a good locker room culture, which is underrated, I believe. I also think his connections in the coaching marketplace that get good coaches to work for him is a big plus. At the same time, we've had a buttload of injuries since he arrived and that seems to follow him around. And he drives me nuts when he gets a lead and plays not to lose instead of playing to win. We could do worse than Foxie. But we could also do better.

Vic Fangio... A
I love Fangio. History says that his defensive concepts are top shelf. And we have seen that here. Plus, we've seen him give Aaron Rodgers problems, a real plus in our division.

Dowell Loggains... B
I'm warming up to Loggains. He seemed like he got the best out of our bad QB situation last year, despite having not much to work with. And he showed that he could use Trubisky in a way that he was comfortable with, despite his lack of understanding and experience limitations. He also gets credit for his conservative approach to Trubisky. And when he gameplanned with Glennon, he made him look a lot better too. We seem to be fine with Loggains.

Quarterbacks are also key figures...

Mike Glennon... C+
Why such a high grade? We've seen about a D player in the preseason, but I think he'll be a C by the end of the year. Whole new coaching staff, offense and supporting cast is tough on a QB. Also, his contract bumps up his grade. Having him basically on a 1-year deal is perfect.

Mitchell Trubisky... B+
This guy has all the physical tools. He's got exactly the right attitude and approach. He's played well in preseason action. He does have a lot to learn, but he seems like a dedicated student. He has exceeded expectations thus far. Whether he is an excellent leader of men and is an NFL winner is yet to be determined. But right now, things are looking very, very good.

All in all, the grades of the QB position, Loggains and to a lesser extent Pace have all improved for me. That the ones at the top of the food chain aren't good isn't a happy thing long term. But short term, this team feels much more positive to me than it did at the end of 2016. I really have faith that as Trubisky develops--and all signs point to him doing so--the team will improve going forward. Especially if we keep Fangio directing the defense.

Overall excellent..... I agree almost 100%.

Health is key as last year was a train wreck. But other than the Patriots you cannot put time in a bottle. Every year dynamics change, injuries, age, lots of moving pieces in both coaches and players. It is a marvel that the Patriots have strung together so many successful seasons.

I have no issues with Pace and Fox always was a known short term coach. His window was 3-4 years under even the best of circumstances. I think Vic is a perfect Chicago personality for the HC job.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:lolllllll jesus guys. alshon was already hurt for a chunk of training camp/preseason and you same guys would be calling for pace's head for wasting the money franchise tagging him.

I think we'd be a playoff team with just Cutler over Glennon but either way, I wouldn't have been calling for Pace's head for signing Jeffery, at the very least it'd stop him spending the same money on a few average players.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

My view of the Bears is pretty much Rusty's sig. The Bears' car is headed down the highway, completely on fire and out of control. Especially after the preseason injuries.
wab
Mod

My view after yesterday is that they are still a 4-6 win team that will frustrate us and break our hearts with "almost wins" and "moral victories" all season long. They'll wear out their near playoff caliber defense and waste the talent of what few stars they do have while Glennon gets sacked into oblivion.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:My view after yesterday is that they are still a 4-6 win team that will frustrate us and break our hearts with "almost wins" and "moral victories" all season long. They'll wear out their near playoff caliber defense and waste the talent of what few stars they do have while Glennon gets sacked into oblivion.

unfortunate but seemingly on the money
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

"...sacked into oblivion."
:D :ashamed:

ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Playing for next year has never come so early, it started when we signed stopgap Glennon then began to pick up speed when Langford got injured during a walkthrough and continued when Meredith was ruled out for the year with an ACL injury, Wheaton broke his finger, Howard had a corneal abrasion, Long when he threw a fit In practice, and ended with White fracturing his shoulder blade or collarbone or whatever.

4-12 easy.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Ram do you think the Bears would be a playoff team with Trubs at the helm? I think this year was always about the next two years actually. This was/is not a playoff team no matter who is at QB. The Bears are in rebuild mode.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Ram do you think the Bears would be a playoff team with Trubs at the helm? I think this year was always about the next two years actually. This was/is not a playoff team no matter who is at QB. The Bears are in rebuild mode.

not Ram, but am answering anyway - because

my opinion of the Bears changed dramatically after yesterday .... the defense is much better than I had even hoped for, the O-Line is not great but does not suck, the RB's are top tier ... only question on the WR's remains unanswered because Glennon never really threw to them

so maybe the Bears won't be a playoff team even with Trubisky ... but I'll bet my paycheck they'd be closer to one than any team Glennon is running
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think this is a 4-6 win team with Glennon and a 6-8 win team with Biscuit...leaning more towards the 8 win mark.